What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (2 Viewers)

On the punt that started the Lions scoring, they recovered the ball at the goal line. I think it’s williams is like right next to the play watching it and clearly must see or hear the ball hit King (I think) in the back or leg, but has no reaction. Like I think he should have tried to get the ball but he sorta just watches it bounce away. I watched it a couple times, just feel he should have made a better effort to recover the ball. 
It hit the Lions player first.  Which makes it a moot point.  The replay was pretty clear.

-3 on turnovers on the road is nearly a guaranteed loss. Allowing 20+ points in the first half three times is very gross.

Yet somehow I feel like they'd have won if it wasn't for Troy Brown's taunting penalty...

I realized scrambling and playing outside of pocket always have been hallmark of of Rodgers' QB skill but this time they are not doing him a favor especially with gimpy knee of his.  He got to stay in the pocket and play the best as he can while put up whoever he has for receivers (if no trust then start work and develop one with them).

The only time I thought he was great when he came back in second half vs. Chicago Bears.  He stayed within the pocket and made a huge incredible comeback for win. 

I realized scrambling and playing outside of pocket always have been hallmark of of Rodgers' QB skill but this time they are not doing him a favor especially with gimpy knee of his.  He got to stay in the pocket and play the best as he can while put up whoever he has for receivers (if no trust then start work and develop one with them).

The only time I thought he was great when he came back in second half vs. Chicago Bears.  He stayed within the pocket and made a huge incredible comeback for win. 
Yup.  In other words, he ran the offense in the 2nd half of that game.   Other than that, he's been doing his own thing.

Yep, I agree.  Everyone seems to love when he scrambles around like that.  I hate it.

Take your drop, survey the field, and BALL OUT.  Plus, run the ####### ball Mike.  Trust me, it will help your QB tremendously.

I dont know, it almost seems like the opponent knows exactly what play the packers are going to run.

This article perfectly illustrated what I have said about Rodgers this year. Basically, he really needs to adapt to the situations regardless. 

Rodgers going off-script

What makes Aaron Rodgers so special is his ability to create when a play is broken down. This often leads to Rodgers making some sort of spectacular play. While this is a key part to his game and has given the Packers a lot of success, it is Rodgers’ weakness as well.

It is not uncommon for Rodgers to pass up an easy completion to an open receiver because he doesn’t like what he sees or because he thinks there is a bigger play potentially developing down the field.

It is not a coincidence that both the Packers and Rodgers’ best offensive half of football came Week 1 against the Chicago Bears after his knee injury. Since he was unable to move around and scramble as he usually does, he was confined to the pocket and was able to get the ball out of his hands quickly and on time.

The offense scored three fourth-quarter touchdowns, moved the ball at will on the Bears, and completed the come-from-behind victory.

This article perfectly illustrated what I have said about Rodgers this year. Basically, he really needs to adapt to the situations regardless. 

The Packers need to make Paul Bretl their QB.  He obviously knows more about QBing at the NFL level than Rodgers - how he should see the field and what passes he ought to be making.  Maybe he could be hired to mentor Rodgers and teach him how to play QB.

I’m thinking after maybe journalism isn’t the best career for a guy whose cajones are twice the size of his brains.

The Packers need to make Paul Bretl their QB.  He obviously knows more about QBing at the NFL level than Rodgers - how he should see the field and what passes he ought to be making.  Maybe he could be hired to mentor Rodgers and teach him how to play QB.

I’m thinking after maybe journalism isn’t the best career for a guy whose cajones are twice the size of his brains.
You do have a valid point as in "what does Paul Bretl know better on being QB".  In fact, the same question should also direct to us (especially myself).  However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out to notice underlying issues with Rodgers, McCarthy's play-calling, and the entire Packers offense.  Or maybe Rodgers is too damn stubborn to keep his "scrambling" ability. 

You do have a valid point as in "what does Paul Bretl know better on being QB".  In fact, the same question should also direct to us (especially myself).  However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out to notice underlying issues with Rodgers, McCarthy's play-calling, and the entire Packers offense.  Or maybe Rodgers is too damn stubborn to keep his "scrambling" ability. 

I’ve never seen anyone train a championship racing thoroughbred to be a champion dressage horse.  Maybe it could happen, but in my opinion if you have Secretariat that you let him run.  I can get crazy thoughts like that.

I’ve never seen anyone train a championship racing thoroughbred to be a champion dressage horse.  Maybe it could happen, but in my opinion if you have Secretariat that you let him run.  I can get crazy thoughts like that.
The ironic thing is Aaron Rodgers wasn't like this out of the womb. He wasn't like this out of Cal or after a few years in the NFL. But he learned and developed...i'd say coached....into the player he is today. So yeah, players can get better...even the really good ones.

No offense towards you, but let me know when this guy wins a Super Bowl or is the highest rated passer in the history of the NFL. 

No offense towards you, but let me know when this guy wins a Super Bowl or is the highest rated passer in the history of the NFL. 
OK he's got 1 , one, uno SB victory. for the highest rated passer in NFL history he should have 3-4 of them right? yes..his QBR has dropped in every single season since 2014. Let us know when he makes it to another SB or wins another MVP. He's washed up, can't you see that?!

he's lost his fastball.  I'm sure you're a diehard Packers fan.but he CLEARLY is not the same MVP caliber QB he once was. now he gets his stats in games where GB is blown out in the first half, i.e., garbage time stats. he's becoming a Philip Rivers/ type of QB. he's not the dominant A. Rodgers that we all know..it happens.Father Time is undefeated. It happened to Peyton it's happening to Rodgers.oh, and he gets hurt, a lot now..

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, I have nothing against your team and QB Rodgers.  I really like this guy especially his supreme talent but it really pains to see his current and sub-par performance not being living up to his usual standard and expectation.  The very best and elite QBs have always learn to adapt despite their declining supporting cast or skill and to keep pace with current trend (i.e. Favre, Peyton, Brady, and Brees).  Otherwise he might end up like Eli.

Really, I have nothing against your team and QB Rodgers.  I really like this guy especially his supreme talent but it really pains to see his current and sub-par performance not being living up to his usual standard and expectation.  The very best and elite QBs have always learn to adapt despite their declining supporting cast or skill and to keep pace with current trend (i.e. Favre, Peyton, Brady, and Brees).  Otherwise he might end up like Eli.
The same Favre who has the one SB?  Brees who has one SB?

Peyton who basically had one SB due to his performance and then road a D to the 2nd one?  Those guys?

Rodgers has been damn good and continues to be damn good...and every year we see a panic early when the offense isn't perfectly clicking.

BYE this week. Then 4 out of the next 5 are on the road

At the rams

At the patriots

Home against the dolphins

At Seattle on short rest (thursday)

At the Vikings

Yikes  :oldunsure:

Did it again last night. Jimmy ran a route down the middle, stopped, turned, stood there with no one around him as Rodgers pump faked to him twice before throwing it. By that tie the defenders were on him.

How much cap space does the team have.  They ought to send one if those 1st rounders next year over to AZ to see if they can pry Peterson loose.  His current contract goes through the end of 2020 I believe.

Did it again last night. Jimmy ran a route down the middle, stopped, turned, stood there with no one around him as Rodgers pump faked to him twice before throwing it. By that tie the defenders were on him.

??????? 

You're not watching the same game as everyone else. Look at the film again.

There was a zone corner BARRELING down on Jimmy  during that play. The multiple pump fakes froze that guy hard and made him STOP before hitting Jimmy G (otherwise he hits him before the ball gets there and it's a PI).  It was a brilliant play by a magician playing the QB position. The pump fakes were needed not only for the completion but to prevent Jimmy G from being hit by a fast-charging defender.

tldr; Your analysis is terrible and you should feel bad. 

This is a hugely underrated skill for great QBs - throwing the ball in places where the receivers aren't going to get smashed.  And like everything else, Rodgers does it better than everyone.

How much cap space does the team have.  They ought to send one if those 1st rounders next year over to AZ to see if they can pry Peterson loose.  His current contract goes through the end of 2020 I believe.
Overthecap has GB under the cap by just under 7 million

ETA: Lazy ### Marty Bennett still counts 4.2 this year

??????? 

You're not watching the same game as everyone else. Look at the film again.

There was a zone corner BARRELING down on Jimmy  during that play. The multiple pump fakes froze that guy hard and made him STOP before hitting Jimmy G (otherwise he hits him before the ball gets there and it's a PI).  It was a brilliant play by a magician playing the QB position. The pump fakes were needed not only for the completion but to prevent Jimmy G from being hit by a fast-charging defender.

tldr; Your analysis is terrible and you should feel bad. 

This is a hugely underrated skill for great QBs - throwing the ball in places where the receivers aren't going to get smashed.  And like everything else, Rodgers does it better than everyone.
Prove it. I saw 2 pump fakes TO Graham. If he's pump faking to graham, the defender is not going to slow up on a pump fake to the guy he's going towards.

Actually nevermind trying to find it. 3:20 on this link. : http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/0ap3000000974893/49ers-vs-Packers-highlights-Week-6

Double pump fake.  pass to Graham and the guy tackles him. If he hits Graham (who has turned & is waiting for the ball) on the first pump fake, he gains more yards. You see what you want to see. I see what actually happened.

Prove it. I saw 2 pump fakes TO Graham. If he's pump faking to graham, the defender is not going to slow up on a pump fake to the guy he's going towards.

Actually nevermind trying to find it. 3:20 on this link. : http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/0ap3000000974893/49ers-vs-Packers-highlights-Week-6

Double pump fake.  pass to Graham and the guy tackles him. If he hits Graham (who has turned & is waiting for the ball) on the first pump fake, he gains more yards. You see what you want to see. I see what actually happened.
Uh, that video doesn't show you what is going on in the secondary.  Half the field (defensive backfield) isn't on screen.  That video doesn't prove what you wrote.

You must already know this.  So why post the video?

I've never been so mad watching the end of a game.  I remember thinking "why the f*** is he bringing it out?" ... we'd get it at the 25 with 2:05 left and gain precious seconds as well as another stopped timeout with the two minute warning. Made no sense to me at all.  And then he fumbles it.  I'm so livid about the stupidity of the play.

I don't mind losing to better teams but I get really pissed when it happens because of horrific decisions from players trying to be heroes that should know better. 

Amazingly stupid play from Montgomery. UNSURPRISINGLY, McCarthy calls him out because he went against coaching advice. Any pee-wee coach would know the right play is to take the touch-back and give the ball to Rodgers.

Would not be surprised at all if he's cut or severely punished (game inactives) after that.

I have not watched or read anything since the end of the game. But my first thought was that McCarthy would make sure the play is to take a knee if it goes into the end-zone. He is the coach and no question that is the play. Give Rodgers 2:05 to go, just needing a field goal to win it. Obviously stupid play by Montgomery, but the blame is on the coaching staff if they didn’t make it clear. Who knows what would have happened, but I like the odds of Rodgers getting points. 

The only thing that made me feel a little better was watching the Vikings get handled at home. It’s a damn shame when the Bears are the best team in the division, coaching makes all the difference.  

I have not watched or read anything since the end of the game. But my first thought was that McCarthy would make sure the play is to take a knee if it goes into the end-zone. He is the coach and no question that is the play. Give Rodgers 2:05 to go, just needing a field goal to win it. Obviously stupid play by Montgomery, but the blame is on the coaching staff if they didn’t make it clear. Who knows what would have happened, but I like the odds of Rodgers getting points. 

The only thing that made me feel a little better was watching the Vikings get handled at home. It’s a damn shame when the Bears are the best team in the division, coaching makes all the difference.  
Allegedly the call was CLEAR to kneel.

Allegedly Montgomery had just thrown a temper tantrum after being pulled on the prior series, and went against coach.

matuski said:
Allegedly the call was CLEAR to kneel.

Allegedly Montgomery had just thrown a temper tantrum after being pulled on the prior series, and went against coach.
Thank you, I did finally watch the pressers and heard he had been told to take a knee.

They aren’t going to cut Montgomery, but he could be a game day inactive for a while or maybe they just move on. But I think if I am on the Packers team, gonna be some trust issues there. 

Disappointing finish to what was a pretty good game/game plan.

Coaching wise...up and downs as usual.  The consistency or inconsistency of this team seems to start at coaching and move throughout the team.

D coaching...such a good game plan and well played for so much of the game.  My criticism is those third downs they converted so easily with guys just wide open already at the sticks and getting 10 more yards before even touched.  How does it happen to just not have anyone near a WR or, I don't know, Gurley?

O...again 3rd downs.  I cringe when we are in 3rd and 5 or less and it used to seem almost automatic.  Needing short yardage...why do we consistently run slow developing plays that end up with Rodgers getting sacked, pressured, or unable to even attempt a pass?  So frustrating.

Get Jones the ball more.  Seriously...its been said so much by pretty much everyone at this point.  

Young WRs are coming along.  MSV has some talent and Eq keeps making plays.  

OL...got rightfully praised early...but the Rams seemed to adjust to a lot of the runs we were using.  And Bulaga and other OL just flat out whiffed on several rushes.

D...I don't worry much about rushing yards against this team.  It seems to be Pettine's philosphy to just not give a crap about the run.  Hope the DL can slow it down...play nickel and cover and not get beat by big plays.

Jaire is going to be really really good...Clay is coming on pretty strong as well.  Daniels seems invisible most of the time and outplayed by Clark and Lowry (or maybe he is freeing them up to make plays...I don't know).

Ty...just boneheaded.  I posted as it happened in the game thread, why why why even take it out there.  2:05 left, we get a play before the 2 minute warning, have Rodgers and a timeout.  There is no need to "make a play" there.  Usually such a smart player too.

Sucks to have a game slop away that they could have won against what seems like the best team in the league.  Play like that in Detroit and Washington and those would likely have been wins.

Need that consistency and urgency all the time.

For what it's worth (not much in defeat...) PFF had a lot of praise for Daniels:

Logged eight total quarterback pressures from 28 pass-rushing snaps

"Another Green Bay Packer had an impressive performance on Sunday but didn’t necessarily have the box score numbers that many look for in a standout performance. Mike Daniels made life hard for the typically well-oiled machine that is the Rams’ offense, producing two tackles, two defensive-stops, and a whopping eight pressures. The box score numbers won’t catch your eye at a glance, but don’t be fooled- Mike Daniels had one of the top performances from any defensive lineman on Sunday."

Lost the special teams battle.  Let a punter throw for a first down, got pinned at the one foot line, a 25 yard punt trying to move out of the shadow of our own goal line, and of course the bone-headed return/fumble. 

ESPN this morning speculating that Clinton-Dix might get traded.  What is that about?  Is that just click fodder?

Lost the special teams battle.  Let a punter throw for a first down, got pinned at the one foot line, a 25 yard punt trying to move out of the shadow of our own goal line, and of course the bone-headed return/fumble. 

ESPN this morning speculating that Clinton-Dix might get traded.  What is that about?  Is that just click fodder?
Someone confirmed the other day that they were open to trading him apparently.  Id question that they would just admit that.

I think its the...last year or whatever of his contract, hasn't necessarily been great and do they want to pay him or get something for him thing.

Id hate to see another talented player go...and then become really good with another team (Hayward...even Hyde has been good after leaving).

Someone confirmed the other day that they were open to trading him apparently.  Id question that they would just admit that.

I think its the...last year or whatever of his contract, hasn't necessarily been great and do they want to pay him or get something for him thing.

Id hate to see another talented player go...and then become really good with another team (Hayward...even Hyde has been good after leaving).
"Ha Ha" basically said as much earlier this season that Green Bay appeared to have no intention of signing him long-term. He sounded resigned that this would be his last year with the Packers. 

I'm not sure how to feel about this one.  He's clearly a talented player but long-term Safety salaries seem polarized - extensions nowadays are usually $12M+/year as a top play-maker or you're making $5-6M/year as a filler. 

Joyner, Thomas, Collins, and Mathieu are all probably going to get more money than Clinton-Dix.  So it feels like Clinton-Dix is at the bottom of the top tier and that's not a great price-point for team. It will most likely take $9M+/year to retain him. Do you want to spend top money to retain someone who has played at a good-but-not-elite level?  I don't think so ... especially with the huge influx of secondary talent.  King and Alexander look like special players.  The Packers might be able to get away with less-than-stellar safety play and use that money somewhere else (perhaps a badly needed additional pass rusher).

If they don't extend Ha Ha I'm not sure what they plan to do with the cap space. They'll have 20(!) players hitting free agency but nearly $45M in cap space, which is a lot given the mega-extension for Rodgers and free agency deal with Graham.  Cobb and Matthews are probably gone ... they'll re-sign Gilbert and Allison, possibly Wilkerson if he heals up ... but those guys aren't going to cost that much.  What else are you going to do with that cap space?  The only core player whom has a contract up in the next two years is Daniels, and he's a sub-$10M guy. They'll probably extend him next off-season.  Still a lot of cap space available after that.  Seems like Clinton-Dix could easily fit. They must have another plan... and I'm guessing it involves holding pat on all the recent secondary picks and paying for some better pass rushers.

Well bye to Haha and Ty.

Some speculation that Tramin could play safety (and did for Pettine in Cleveland)?

Well bye to Haha and Ty.

Some speculation that Tramin could play safety (and did for Pettine in Cleveland)?
Hated the Ty pick at the time.   Haha wasn't assignment sure, and missed too many tackles, to be a highly paid safety. Wish we would have signed Eric Reid.

Ty did well for a few years...did what the team asked of him to play RB. Until he decided to make a boneheaded move that cost them a really good chance at beating a really good team.

I like HAHa, he is a good player but seemingly ready to ask for big $$...hoping it wasn’t a mistake letting a young player go and letting someone else gain from what he can do.

Can definitely see the Ty move, how could you keep him in the locker room after the quotes/comments the last couple days.  Ha Ha, not sure whey they wouldn't have kept him thru the year, but I guess the figured they can make it injury free and don't need him the rest of the year?

I knew McGinn graded HHCD poorly last season, but forgot how bad it was. 

HA HA CLINTON-DIX (99.2%): Completely fell apart in his fourth season. Other than showing up to practice every day and playing every game, his contributions were minimal. Appallingly bad for much of the second half, especially the finale in Detroit when he just went through the motions. Probably just isn’t that good of a player. Straight-line athlete with average change of direction and agility. Lacks the speed to match with top wide receivers deep and the quickness to cover from the slot. Blew way too many assignments for someone with more than 3,500 career snaps. Couldn’t handle the responsibility of wearing the helmet headset and communicating the call to teammates in Game 7. Little or no urgency as a tackler. Second on the team in missed tackles with 13, 10 more than a year ago. Ranked merely fifth among the six safeties in tackles per snap (one every 12.2). Seems almost delusional regarding his value and role on the team. He’ll get one more season to prove worthy of receiving another contract. Grade: D.

I knew McGinn graded HHCD poorly last season, but forgot how bad it was. 
IMHO it's spot on. How can your safety lead the team in missed tackles? Was very poor with his assignments. Almost every big play given up it seemed like Ha Ha was out of position. Either move Williams or Breiland to safety.

IMHO it's spot on. How can your safety lead the team in missed tackles? Was very poor with his assignments. Almost every big play given up it seemed like Ha Ha was out of position. Either move Williams or Breiland to safety.
He's been inconsistent in the past for sure, but Ha Ha was the 2nd best player on the defense this year after Kenny Clark. The secondary just got a ton worse. 

He's been inconsistent in the past for sure, but Ha Ha was the 2nd best player on the defense this year after Kenny Clark. The secondary just got a ton worse. 
Last Sunday against the Rams, Whitehead's snap count increased at the expense of Ha Ha. The secondary looked better than it has all season, against perhaps one of the top 5 offenses in the NFL. Coincidence?

Last Sunday against the Rams, Whitehead's snap count increased at the expense of Ha Ha. The secondary looked better than it has all season, against perhaps one of the top 5 offenses in the NFL. Coincidence?
I didn't watch but this is what I heard. 

I really liked HHCD but he has really fallen out of favor recently. Glad to see us get a usable pick for him and hopefully a better defense

I didn't watch but this is what I heard. 

I really liked HHCD but he has really fallen out of favor recently. Glad to see us get a usable pick for him and hopefully a better defense
Agreed here...loved the pick when he was drafted...thought the ball hawk mentality and he used to be prettybsure tackling and would only get better.  There just wasn’t any improvement thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread