What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (3 Viewers)

Packers fans, do we see Rodgers play a lot better this week?  I don't have any data, but doesn't It seem like after a team fires a head coach that everyone comes out firing?  The Packers seem to only have Adams and Aaron Jones. The Falcons D is a mess. 

Is anyone benching Rodgers in their Week 14 playoff game? if so for whom?

Packers fans, do we see Rodgers play a lot better this week?  I don't have any data, but doesn't It seem like after a team fires a head coach that everyone comes out firing?  The Packers seem to only have Adams and Aaron Jones. The Falcons D is a mess. 

Is anyone benching Rodgers in their Week 14 playoff game? if so for whom?

Assuming Rodgers continues playing as he pleases ... Falcons are so depleted on defense that he should be able to put a lot of points up.

I think the twitter rant by Winston Moss is very telling. I think he's screaming that a lot of the issues stem from Rodgers not listening to coaches. You can cut Montgomery but how do you deal with an elite QB that doesn't listen?  Very hopeful they come in with a hard-nosed, no-nonsense coach.  

There's not many things Brady does better than Rodgers but I would say he's proven to be much more of a team-player and followed orders.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodgers will go off this week...make a point about how much Coach Mucinex was holding him back 
It's not a really convincing argument.  Falcons playing at Lambeau with the worst secondary in the league. 25th in total defense.  28th in sacks generated. 

Coach or no coach he should dominate this game.

Philbin already making changes. Fires associate head coach and OLB coach Winston Moss

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25455617/green-bay-packers-fire-associate-head-coach-winston-moss
I'm probably missing some sarcasm here, or maybe you're just parroting the author's comment, but I'm sure we can all agree Joe Philbin had nothing to do with this decision.  Moss was a dead man walking Sunday night.  When he was not named as McCarthy's replacement, it was known he would be gone hours after the last game, if not before.  I would guess Pettine is the only guy with a chance of surviving Black Monday, plus maybe a few guys way down the line.

Unrelated note: I hears a rumor today about Jim Fookin Harbaugh??  Acknowledging I've never met the guy and hate to judge him from my couch, but I really can't imagine any coach I despise more.  Surely, there can't be any substance behind this rumor? 

I just don’t want some retread has been. I don’t care what offense they bring in as long as it’s revitalized. I still would like to see a 4/3 defense and a good west coast offense. 

I just don’t want some retread has been. I don’t care what offense they bring in as long as it’s revitalized. I still would like to see a 4/3 defense and a good west coast offense. 
I think we may be closer to a 4-3...but would like to see Pettine stay as DC.  D hasn’t been great but with injuries and the offensive ineptitude, the D has been admirable .

Nice story out there about McCarthy getting to speak to the team one more time too.

I think we may be closer to a 4-3...but would like to see Pettine stay as DC.  D hasn’t been great but with injuries and the offensive ineptitude, the D has been admirable .

Nice story out there about McCarthy getting to speak to the team one more time too.
Would also like to see Pettine stay.   But man, 3rd and 23.......ugh.....

What's the love for Pettine? For the longest time people were crying Fire Capers.  Last year they were at 22. This year 20th. And that's after the Packers stuck high draft picks in to the D. The defensive improvement has been noticeable but if Pettine goes I don't think it's any major loss either.

KingPrawn said:
What's the love for Pettine? For the longest time people were crying Fire Capers.  Last year they were at 22. This year 20th. And that's after the Packers stuck high draft picks in to the D. The defensive improvement has been noticeable but if Pettine goes I don't think it's any major loss either.
I guess we're watching different games.

Packers D has kept them in almost every game despite nearly leading the league in starts lost due to defensive injuries.    They're 3rd in sacks despite having no star pass rusher besides an aging Clay Matthews.  He has Alexander, Clark, and Martinez playing incredible football as ascending core players for the team.. Frankly, I think Pettine has been a revelation.

I find it unlikely Pettine will be gone.  The CEO/GM restructured decision points on key coaching hires.  It's now the CEO's job to hire/fire head coach and he probably has a lot of say over coordinators.  He may not want to hire a head coach that will get rid of Pettine.  Any offense-minded head coach would be shooting themselves in the foot firing Pettine after this year.

I like what Pettine has done with the defense.  The stats may not say they are great (they're not), but they have played decent, considering the injuries, especially on the back end.  I hope he stays because I think he's building something on defense.

I like what Pettine has done with the defense.  The stats may not say they are great (they're not), but they have played decent, considering the injuries, especially on the back end.  I hope he stays because I think he's building something on defense.
Yep plus the defense has been on the field forever due to the failures of the offense.  They can only keep up the fight for so long each game.

Yep plus the defense has been on the field forever due to the failures of the offense.  They can only keep up the fight for so long each game.
Yeah...most games close into the late 3rd and 4th quarter...offensive miscues have done this team in time and time again this year.

And I don’t  think it’s all lack of talent. 

O line definitely needs some offseason attention.

sho nuff said:
No doubt and the missed int before that.  But who the hell is even playing in the secondary anymore? 

Weve got guys about off the street playing safety and nickel corner.
Sure, some of these guys may have been working at the Piggly Wiggly last week or last month, but don't discount out of hand just how competitive the Piggly Wiggly intermural league can be.  

Before people start hurting themselves jumping off the non-existent bandwagon...Davante Adams and Aaron Jones are big-time playmakers.

Kumerow too. 😜

Complete disagree on playmakers.  Adams is a playmaker and Jones could be in the right offense.  McCarthy doesn’t know how to use him.
I guess to each their own. I like Jones more than I do Adams. I think there is a difference between a guy that is a solid player and a guy that makes a big play once in a while. 

We really don't know enough about Jones simply because he has been so under-utilized. I think Adams is a good solid player but in the middle of the pack for NFL Wr #1's. As average as Rodgers has been he still is better than most and has helped to make decent WR's put up better numbers than their talent level is. I'd love Adams in fantasy but if he were to leave the Packers he would not come close to his current numbers in my opinion. 

Ignominious.
TIL that ignominious is a word. Otherwise, random thoughts:

Wife asked me if they could be up for Hard Knocks due to missing the playoffs 2 seasons in a row. I thought there was a rule about not being eligible with a 1st year head coach too, no? Not that they'd accept anyways but the NFL, and most NFL fans would probably salivate at it.

They have 3 picks in the top 50 as of right now. I'm no draftnik but they should be able to parlay that into at least 1 impact player, even if that means packaging them together to move up.

After the Cohen fumble, they did what bad teams do - go 3 and out twice, give up a long punt return, and ultimately give up more points. Failure in all 3 phases. This is not a good team.

If Rodgers hits about 5 more throws, this might be a different ballgame. Cobb open, MVS open deep, the pick to Graham immediately come to mind. A few years ago, he makes those throws in his sleep.

I think that loss saved us from Philbin being a serious candidate. Silver lining and all that.

TIL that ignominious is a word. Otherwise, random thoughts:

Wife asked me if they could be up for Hard Knocks due to missing the playoffs 2 seasons in a row. I thought there was a rule about not being eligible with a 1st year head coach too, no? Not that they'd accept anyways but the NFL, and most NFL fans would probably salivate at it.

They have 3 picks in the top 50 as of right now. I'm no draftnik but they should be able to parlay that into at least 1 impact player, even if that means packaging them together to move up.

After the Cohen fumble, they did what bad teams do - go 3 and out twice, give up a long punt return, and ultimately give up more points. Failure in all 3 phases. This is not a good team.

If Rodgers hits about 5 more throws, this might be a different ballgame. Cobb open, MVS open deep, the pick to Graham immediately come to mind. A few years ago, he makes those throws in his sleep.

I think that loss saved us from Philbin being a serious candidate. Silver lining and all that.
Id agree with this.

Thoughts on the game and season and team.

Something still very wrong with Rodgers...what is it really?  We saw his greatness so little this year.  2nd half of that first Bears game was brilliant.  Since then, even as he got healthier, its been so off.  Something just hasn't been right.  The scary thought is how much does he have left? And will we get a healthy year from him anytime before its over?  He seems to get nicked every year now.

The Oline has serious issues.  Now, not all of it is on them, often they do give Rodgers plenty of time and a sack happens due to not stepping into the pocket, or waiting for something downfield.  But I think the OL needs to be addressed heavily this offseason.

WR...there isn't much separation there.  We can all hope the newer guys get things figured out...but that could be dangerous.  Something needs to be looked at there.

RB...we have solid players...do we add another playmaker there?  Williams will be the guy down the stretch now.

D...I think they have pieces there now...need depth and to get healthy.  Need pass rush bad.  Id like to see Pettine stay at DC.

Not a good team...but are they far off?  That is hard to say.  They don't got out and get blown out ever...they even keep it close to really good teams late into games.  But no urgency, no consistency, no ability to finish...and no big plays at all lately.

WRs are a significant problem. Adams is flirting with the franchise record because he’s a one-man show.

Who’s second on the team in catches? Somehow it's Graham, who everyone agrees hasn’t played well. And yet he’s still well ahead of the #3 in caches who is … Cobb, who missed half the season. Yeesh.

At least on the DL it looks like Tyler Lancaster is better than Mo Wilkerson.

So, have you guys watched other teams, like say any other NFL team? When the QB is scrambling, and out of the pocket the receivers come back to the QB, this is a basic rule in all higher levels of football. But for some reason the past couple seasons I do not see it on our team. This is a coached philosophy, not something Rodgers is saying in the huddle. I personally do not see a huge drop in Rodgers play, of course he’s not at his normal level, but he’s still damn good. We need an offensive overhaul, our routes suck, Graham sucks, watching our offense is painful. We need to go way back to the mixture of quick hitting plays and deep passes. Rodgers needs to sit the rest of the year, but he won’t. I’m just really interested in who we pick as coach. 

So, have you guys watched other teams, like say any other NFL team? When the QB is scrambling, and out of the pocket the receivers come back to the QB, this is a basic rule in all higher levels of football. But for some reason the past couple seasons I do not see it on our team. This is a coached philosophy, not something Rodgers is saying in the huddle. I personally do not see a huge drop in Rodgers play, of course he’s not at his normal level, but he’s still damn good. We need an offensive overhaul, our routes suck, Graham sucks, watching our offense is painful. We need to go way back to the mixture of quick hitting plays and deep passes. Rodgers needs to sit the rest of the year, but he won’t. I’m just really interested in who we pick as coach. 
Packers used to be great at it...Cobb would get open (like he did to win the game week one against Chicago).  Is it the youth at WR?  Or is it Rodgers...or is it offensive philosphy and coaching?  Whatever it is...something that used to be a strength is suddenly a weakness.

The Pack just completed their rooney rule obligations.

Caldwell has never been a difference-maker and would be an uninspiring retread for a Packers team in need of a jolt. Caldwell's interview satisfies the Rooney Rule.

Now onto interviewing candidates for the HC job.

The Pack just completed their rooney rule obligations.

Caldwell has never been a difference-maker and would be an uninspiring retread for a Packers team in need of a jolt. Caldwell's interview satisfies the Rooney Rule.

Now onto interviewing candidates for the HC job.
Was their a loser HC quota they had to fill too? Chuck Pagano was also interviewed. 

I hope they requested interviews and we didn’t invite them. Two of the worst coaches possible. Please let’s not invite any more retreads. 

Patriots OC Josh McDaniels will interview for the Packers head coaching job on Friday.

Interviewing for head coaching jobs during the Patriots' playoff bye has become part of McDaniels' yearly routine. There was some question of whether McDaniels would draw interest this year after abandoning the Colts last offseason, though he's already been linked to a number of teams including Green Bay, Cleveland and Cincinnati. Former Lions and Colts coach Jim Caldwell, Saints assistant/TEs coach Dan Campbell, Patriots DC Brian Flores, Titans OC Matt LaFleur, Steelers OL coach Mike Munchak and former Colts coach Chuck Pagano have also been mentioned as potential heirs to Mike McCarthy's throne in Green Bay.

I am completely disheartened that a turd like McDaniels would even draw an interview in GB.  I’m getting the feeling that we may be transcending into a very deep dark place in the near future and possibly for an extended time.
Until Murphy stops treating and running the Packers like a business whose priority is to make $$$ and starts running it as a football team, whose number 1 goal is to win football games. That was the problem with the executive committee in the 70s and 80s until Bob Harlan came along. I'm afraid we are going down that same path. But all those sled hills and ice skating rinks and hotels and restaurants don't mean a thing unless the Packers win on the field. No enthusiasm for the Packers team and the bells and whistles are meaningless. I think we saw a bit of that in the last 2 home games. Tickets were going for less than half price on the secondary market. Hopefully Mark Murphy noticed this as well. Build it and they will come is not the case here. Put a contending team on the field and they will come.

I am completely disheartened that a turd like McDaniels would even draw an interview in GB.  I’m getting the feeling that we may be transcending into a very deep dark place in the near future and possibly for an extended time.
Maybe, maybe not.  Not at all to suggest McDaniels = Belichick but I do recall Belichick's tenure with Cleveland being not so impressive (as McDaniel's was in Denver).  Things seemed to turn out just fine for him later on in his career.

Perhaps McDaniels learned a thing or two in the past few years and grew as a person and coach.  Perhaps that results in him doing a much better job his second go round as the head honcho.  Perhaps he reignites Rodgers' greatness.  

Or perhaps he isn't made of head coach material and Green Bay goes all "Matt Patricia".  Who knows.  

I wouldn't be upset if they signed McDaniels (unless he leaves us at the altar ala Indy) - and I wouldn't be jumping with joy either.  I'd probably be cautiously optimistic.

McDaniels is riding Brady/Belicheck. It's a mistake to hire that guy. He's a recycled loser. Anyone who thinks Tebow was gonna be something really has no clue on evaluating NFL talent.

Belicheck had just turned in a 11-5 record with Vinny and then they had a bad season and Modell fired him. They didn't do #### for the next 3 years in BALT. until they got Jamal Lewis. 

Maybe, maybe not.  Not at all to suggest McDaniels = Belichick but I do recall Belichick's tenure with Cleveland being not so impressive (as McDaniel's was in Denver).  Things seemed to turn out just fine for him later on in his career.

Perhaps McDaniels learned a thing or two in the past few years and grew as a person and coach.  Perhaps that results in him doing a much better job his second go round as the head honcho.  Perhaps he reignites Rodgers' greatness.  

Or perhaps he isn't made of head coach material and Green Bay goes all "Matt Patricia".  Who knows.  

I wouldn't be upset if they signed McDaniels (unless he leaves us at the altar ala Indy) - and I wouldn't be jumping with joy either.  I'd probably be cautiously optimistic.
Way too many "perhaps" for my liking. Fans have complained for years about TT and McCarthy wasting Rodgers prime years and the window closing. They really need to minimize the "perhaps" in the next hire. Don't have time to waste here.

Well he's a hell of an offensive coordinator imo. And I'll be shocked if he isn't the next packers coach. Maybe not the best hire ever but certainly an upgrade. 

Well he's a hell of an offensive coordinator imo. And I'll be shocked if he isn't the next packers coach. Maybe not the best hire ever but certainly an upgrade.

Just to remind you of this if they do indeed hire McDaniels.  That would be a mistake of epic proportions and waste what’s left of Rodgers’ career.  McDaniels has no justification for being a HC in the NFL.  He’s proved that beyond doubt twice already.

Have we really come to this? Settling for a coach who might not be the best hire? I sure hope Murphy and Gutenkist don't take this approach.

But there is no for sure best hire.  There are ifs and perhaps’s about any candidate.
Well, yeah, certainly. But I hope Gutenkist and Murphy don't take the attitude of "maybe not the best hire ever but an upgrade". That's a far cry from:

“Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi

I guess now we're chasing "Eeh, that'll have to do."

Hey fellas.  Wow, what a rough season.  One bright spot I thought was Breeland.  I'd like to see him back.  I'd also like to see Cobb back at market value and Matthews too.  Perry I'd like to see go.  Also Bulaga, he's a big blind spot and his durability makes him a luxury type player instead of one you can depend on.

Last time we experienced this, the hot candidate most people wanted was Mike Nolan.

The reaction to McCarthy was "why are we getting the guy who coached Aaron Brooks??"

So who knows, my droogs... I don't want McDaniels either but have no strong feelings about any other candidates so far.

Hey fellas.  Wow, what a rough season.  One bright spot I thought was Breeland.  I'd like to see him back.  I'd also like to see Cobb back at market value and Matthews too.  Perry I'd like to see go.  Also Bulaga, he's a big blind spot and his durability makes him a luxury type player instead of one you can depend on.
I have had enough of Cobb unless he could be brought back really cheap. I think I'm down on him due to all the missed time the last couple of years. I'm also done with Clay unless he wants to play on a very friendly team deal. Both these guys have been two of the most over paid Packers the past few seasons. I'd be fine with bringing Breeland back at a good price. Perry still has another chance for me to try to put up a healthy season. Bulaga I'm on the fence with. He probably isn't worth his contract but you can seem to never have enough OL.

I feel like McDaniels will be offered the job, but I honestly hope I am wrong. I would rather see Carmichael or Swinney. 

Users who are viewing this thread