What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (2 Viewers)

After 2 weeks...not much in my thinking has changed.

I think of who is expected to be there...I still like Jackson the most.

I have seen Jaire Alexander land in GB as well(also very intriguing...definitely has the speed).  I prefer Jackson a bit over him.  Have also seen some think Ward could drop (not seeing that) or that we would move up for him or Derwin James (not sure I see that either).  Ward would be my top CB but don't think he will be close to available for GB.

Of the OLB...Davenport or Landry seem to be the guys everyone talks about.  I love Arden Key talent wise...but 14 is too high with a lot of talk he will drop.  If he is there in the 2nd and they land one of those CBs...Id love that.
Rotoworld posted something in the past day or two suggesting GB wants to trade up for Fitzpatrick.  In their analysis section Rotoworld literally wrote they thought GB lacked the draft capital for any trade up.  Haha....guess RW forgot GB has the most draft picks (12) of any team in the draft right now.

With that in mind, I could see us trade up for one of Ward, James, or Fitzpatrick and I'd be OK with any of those 3.  Short of that, if we stand pat (or even trade down a bit) I'd be happy to see us grab a Jackson or Alexander.  Nice to know there are some quality options for us tonight in an area of clear need - the secondary.

It may have been very recent for all I know, but when was the last time green bay traded up in the first round? Seems out of character for the last regime

Last edited by a moderator:
It may have been very recent for all I know, but when was the last time green bay traded up in the first round? Seems out of character for the last regime
Saw somewhere it was 2009 for clay Matthews

I hope they don't trade up, honestly. It costs so much that they'd have to give up at least a 2nd round pick, which can be another quality starter.

It's been proven that the draft is a numbers game - the more picks you have, the better your team will be... there will definitely be an impact player available at 14.  

Bob McGinn reported some interesting news on Bulaga. Probably won't matter today, but might impact some decisions later in the weekend:

According to a source, the Packers attempted to negotiate a pay cut from Bulaga in the off-season but were rebuffed and talks went nowhere. Bulaga has two years left on a five-year, $33.75 million contract that he signed in March 2015. His base salaries are $5.85 million this year and $5.8 million in 2019.

Also for what its worth, McGinn's draft stuff has been very good as usual.  Its a pay-site now so I'm not going to cut/paste anything other than to say his mock has the Packers taking Minkah Fitzpatrick at 14. He expects Gutekunst will try to trade up for Denzel Ward. If Ward and Fitzpatrick are both unavailable, he likes McGlinchey (assuming James, Edmunds and Smith are all gone.)

Hopefully they can trade up to the 9 spot or so and grab Ward.  It would be nice to get the top CB out there.  Either that or trade down to the Pats and get both their 1st rounders.  They need someone to fall if the draft goes chalk I don't see much of a different in the talent at 14 than in the 20's and 30's.  Landry would make me puke...I see Jamal Reynolds 2.0 in that guy.

Also for what its worth, McGinn's draft stuff has been very good as usual.  Its a pay-site now so I'm not going to cut/paste anything other than to say his mock has the Packers taking Minkah Fitzpatrick at 14.
I never say never when it comes to the draft, but Fitzpatrick available at #14 seems extremely unlikely. Dream scenario if it happens, though. At any rate there will be quality there at #14 if the big 4 QBs go high as expected. I'm with Phenomena here in hoping they stay patient, stay put, and take BPA.

I never say never when it comes to the draft, but Fitzpatrick available at #14 seems extremely unlikely. Dream scenario if it happens, though. At any rate there will be quality there at #14 if the big 4 QBs go high as expected. I'm with Phenomena here in hoping they stay patient, stay put, and take BPA.
Yeah, I noticed in Mayock's mock draft, all 8 guys McGinn mentions are gone by 14.  Its kind of odd for Bob as he usually predicts a sleeper type in the first round for the Packers, but he seems to be going chalk this year.

Rotoworld posted something in the past day or two suggesting GB wants to trade up for Fitzpatrick.  In their analysis section Rotoworld literally wrote they thought GB lacked the draft capital for any trade up.  Haha....guess RW forgot GB has the most draft picks (12) of any team in the draft right now.

With that in mind, I could see us trade up for one of Ward, James, or Fitzpatrick and I'd be OK with any of those 3.  Short of that, if we stand pat (or even trade down a bit) I'd be happy to see us grab a Jackson or Alexander.  Nice to know there are some quality options for us tonight in an area of clear need - the secondary.
Fitz is a great playerand would love to have him.  Seems more hybrid S/CB like we had with Woodson.  

Alexanders plus is I think he is better in the slot and could contribute there and as a returner right away (and having Tramon House and King on the outside...

Saw somewhere it was 2009 for clay Matthews
I was about to say Clay.  That was moving back into the first after already taking Raji.

I remember leaving that day to go eat thinking thebPackers were done.  Sitter my in a restaurant with TVs and the draft was in and I had to do a double take seeing GB back on the clock.

Count me in the camp of hoping they stay put.
Really hoping one of the Big 3 DBs falls, but that probably isn't likely  I wouldn't mind a trade down either.

Yeah, I noticed in Mayock's mock draft, all 8 guys McGinn mentions are gone by 14.  Its kind of odd for Bob as he usually predicts a sleeper type in the first round for the Packers, but he seems to be going chalk this year.
Mayock's mock also has Rosen falling all the way to #15. If that happens I hope we A) take Rosen, or B) trade down with a team that wants him even more. Can't for the life of me figure out why that guy doesn't get more love.

These last two posts speak to why I'm so jazzed for this year's draft!

The Packers have 12 picks - 12!  That's a lot of ammo to move around and target particular players.  And with the potential for 6 (six!) first round QBs I'm expecting a lot of craziness to ensue with players falling and trades flying around.  I think tonight's first round is gonna be nuts and super entertaining to watch and I have high hopes the QB needy teams may end up driving a high quality prospect down to the Packers.

Just a few more hours for the fun to begin!

These last two posts speak to why I'm so jazzed for this year's draft!

The Packers have 12 picks - 12!  That's a lot of ammo to move around and target particular players.  And with the potential for 6 (six!) first round QBs I'm expecting a lot of craziness to ensue with players falling and trades flying around.  I think tonight's first round is gonna be nuts and super entertaining to watch and I have high hopes the QB needy teams may end up driving a high quality prospect down to the Packers.

Just a few more hours for the fun to begin!
I really hope my kids aren't a-holes tonight. Draft, Bucks game 6, Brewers/Cubs...lots to take in.

Packers will pick one of Ward, Fitzpatrick, James or Alexander.  They may trade up if they have a strong preference,but if they stay at 14 it is a near certainty 1 of them will still be available.  

I'll add, I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade back into the late first round for one of the top 3 wrs (Ridley, Moore or Sutton), or for some reason Davenport or Landry falls

I really hope my kids aren't a-holes tonight. Draft, Bucks game 6, Brewers/Cubs...lots to take in.
Everyone's going to bed early tonight! Thankfully the in-laws are watching the kids which means they will be exhausted and go down early

Packers will pick one of Ward, Fitzpatrick, James or Alexander.  They may trade up if they have a strong preference,but if they stay at 14 it is a near certainty 1 of them will still be available.  
If Ward is still there after the Bears I think they trade up. Maybe even trying to trade with TB. I highly doubt the Bears trade with the Packers... maybe they would. They have a lot of needs and could use an extra pick. I think GB really wants Ward but it all depends on the price to move up to get him. 

I also think it's equally plausible for them to actually trade down. If Arizona doesn't get into the top 5-6 picks to grab their QB of choice I think it's very possible for another team to try and leap frog them. Maybe even GB gets AZ on the phone and lets them know they have an offer for their pick and try to fleece over the Cardinals similar to what happened to the Bears last year- force them to over pay to move up 1 spot.

Someone is going to drop.  The draft never plays out as expected.  There will be a team reaching for someone - happens every year.

I think all top 5 QBs will be gone by 14 and that will be the biggest factor to a top player falling to GB at 14.

Packers should send a couple of their picks to the Steelers for Bryant.  Would fill their need for a speed WR on the outside nicely.  I know he has had his issues but he can take the top off a defense.

Anything you all don’t want to see tonight?

For me WR early.  I’m not even sure I like the going back into the round for a WR.

LB, CB or OL I’d be fine with.

Why on WR?  Just think we have other, more glaring needs?
I don’t see one at 14 worth that spot.  And see many players much more worth the spot as well as a need.

I can see trading up back into the 1st if they go DB first and an LB or OL they love is still hanging around.  Just don’t love any of the WRs that much.

With all this Bulaga contract talk.  I don't want to see an OT at 14.  If they trade down, sure.  Don't reach at 14

I just have a feeling they are going to trade up and select Ward.

I would rather they stay put or even trade down.  We are going to get a good player at 14, at least we should.

I hate trading up in the 1st round, too expensive.

With Nelson and McGlinchy gone...definitely don’t want Ol at 14.

James or Fitzpatrick could fall, Alexander or Jackson at CB.

Landry still there at OLB.

Saints on the clock? And we got their #1? Woot!
I don’t like it.  13 spots down...and only a 5th this year.  It’s great for next year but NO will likely be another pick in the 20s next year.

I think they dropped too much talent there.

I don’t like it.  13 spots down...and only a 5th this year.  It’s great for next year but NO will likely be another pick in the 20s next year.

I think they dropped too much talent there.
I think they crushed it. And for Davenport? Clearly we've overrated a couple players here. And the Pack has a ton of ammo now to move up and pounce for the player they want..

I think they crushed it. And for Davenport? Clearly we've overrated a couple players here. And the Pack has a ton of ammo now to move up and pounce for the player they want..
True on giving up that for Davenport.  

Just hope we still get the talent.  I like the first next year...but it feels so unfulfilling now.

True on giving up that for Davenport.  

Just hope we still get the talent.  I like the first next year...but it feels so unfulfilling now.
Who do you really like that they could have nabbed at 14. I like James and Edmonds but not enough to not take that deal. 

Balco said:
Completely disagree. I think this was a great trade. Move down 13 picks from middle of first for a first next year? Love it. 
This x1000.  I don’t think there was an elite guy left and good depth.  2 first rounders next year is huge.  Even if late they can be packaged to move up next year.

Users who are viewing this thread