What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (1 Viewer)

This x1000.  I don’t think there was an elite guy left and good depth.  2 first rounders next year is huge.  Even if late they can be packaged to move up next year.
Have to think they have 6-8 guys they rank similarly and figure one will make it to them.

Liking that depending on the deal and now have an extra 1st next year.

3rd and a 6th this year. 

Or just a 3rd

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that trade down is fantastic. Still get a guy I would have been fine with at 14 (I still like Jackson a little better)...but get the guy you want, pick up a 1st next year by giving up a 3rd.

Great move 

There's no way you can judge drafts while the ink is still wet, but tomorrow EVERY analyst is going to give the Pack an A for what they've done here today..

I didn't exactly like the move back because it was so far back, plus I think James would have easily been worth the 14. Completely fine with it now

A+ so far.  They stole that 1st from NO and I am guessing they were looking at Alexander at 14 anyways.
Genius draft so far by Gute.  Basically traded a 3rd this year for a 1st next year to draft the guy they would have taken anyway.  

Honestly, even if this guy is a bust it doesn't dramatically hurt them long-term because of the huge value they got back from it. 

Good stuff.

Would love to see Arden Key in the 2nd. Yes there are questions with him...but so darn talented on the edge rush.

Would love to see Arden Key in the 2nd. Yes there are questions with him...but so darn talented on the edge rush.
Oh god no. Motivation issues, injury questions, unexplained disappearance, suspension, out of shape....Add an NFL paycheck to his issues? No thanks. Not the kind of character you bring to a winning culture.

Yea I have to agree with onionsack on Key.  I really don't want them taking Key.  

To me he looks like Randy Gregory all over again.  And we all know how that turned out for DAL.

I love trade down and getting extra next year 1st, move up to 18 not much, if we stay put at 27 Alexander can be available, JJackson is...

I love trade down and getting extra next year 1st, move up to 18 not much, if we stay put at 27 Alexander can be available, JJackson is...
You have no way of knowing that. And I’m fine with them not getting JJackson.  They already have a taller not superfast CB in King so they needed to add some speed to the secondary.  Alexander ran a 4.38 and is s better compliment to King than Jackson imo.

You have no way of knowing that. And I’m fine with them not getting JJackson.  They already have a taller not superfast CB in King so they needed to add some speed to the secondary.  Alexander ran a 4.38 and is s better compliment to King than Jackson imo.
I like Jackson a lot...but am fine with Alexander and the trade.  Alexander adding return ability helps too (especially with Trevor Davis doing stupid things)

I like Jackson a lot...but am fine with Alexander and the trade.  Alexander adding return ability helps too (especially with Trevor Davis doing stupid things)
Yeah I’d be fine if Davis isn’t on the roster this year.  He’s only a return guy and s mediocre one at that.

I love love love what we did last night. move down 4 spots and give up a 3rd for a 1st next year. robbery! 

Alexander I like. he's not far off from our height cut off. he' got awedsome speed. I think it' exactly what we need. 

Mr.Pack said:
Fairly obvious that TT is running this draft.

Nothing like sitting on 12 draft picks!!!  :wall:
I believe we had 9 picks round 4-7. you have to be realistic on the value of those picks. 

imo we likely trade back into round 3 and even trade up in those later rounds to get guys we need. GB wasn't moving up into the top 10 or 12... especially with the QB craze. 

I'm hoping for Landry (de), Sutton (wr), or Reid (s) in round 2. hoping we trade back into round 3 for OL or DL help

I believe we had 9 picks round 4-7. you have to be realistic on the value of those picks. 

imo we likely trade back into round 3 and even trade up in those later rounds to get guys we need. GB wasn't moving up into the top 10 or 12... especially with the QB craze. 

I'm hoping for Landry (de), Sutton (wr), or Reid (s) in round 2. hoping we trade back into round 3 for OL or DL help
Agreed and once Ward and Chubb were off the board there was no one really for them to trade up for.  I think if one of those guys fell to 9 they'd have made a move up.

Ton of guys like in the 2nd.  Some good RB's and WR's along with Hernandez or Daniels on the Oline.  Hubbard or Landry would be decent though still think Landry is overrated based on last year's production and heck maybe Josh Jackson will be there for them which you can never have too many CB's.  I also think they package picks and trade back into the 3rd.

Was just about to ask what are people's thoughts on today.  I don't see Landry falling...or Jackson falling enough.  IF either were there, yeah extra CBs are great to have but still a bit of a luxury given other needs...Id still take either of them if they were there.

For me...what is left at DE/OLB...and while we need it, we still have Clay, Perry, and Biegel (hopefully a healthy offseason will help there).  I know others are against it with Arden Key...but the talent is too intriguing and I think the 2nd round isn't a terrible time to gamble on first round talent like that.  Definitely if he falls into the 3rd and they have a chance to move up spots. Josh Sweat from FSU is another highly talented kid...but questions around his knee are why he wasn't a 1st rounder.

After that...Id like to see which WRs are there...with Jordy gone and Adam's concussion history...need some outside guys and hope the big boy Clark can develop.

OL...probably more later in the draft than 2nd round...I have not really looked at the talent there to know.  But any spot on the OL could use depth now.

ILB...Im betting we draft at least one in the first 5 rounds.  Will be interesting from the homer standpoint of where Cichy goes...those knee injuries are scary, but guy was a leader and has the coach on the field mentality as well.  

RB...not seeing a lot of reason to go RB here unless they move Ty back to WR.  Even as tempting as Guice is (I don't think he last past 5 picks or so tonight). 

Won't be able to watch or follow much and will be playing catch up later as my son has Confirmation tonight and then I will be catching up on the Predators game once I get home.

Was just about to ask what are people's thoughts on today.  I don't see Landry falling...or Jackson falling enough.  IF either were there, yeah extra CBs are great to have but still a bit of a luxury given other needs...Id still take either of them if they were there.

For me...what is left at DE/OLB...and while we need it, we still have Clay, Perry, and Biegel (hopefully a healthy offseason will help there).  I know others are against it with Arden Key...but the talent is too intriguing and I think the 2nd round isn't a terrible time to gamble on first round talent like that.  Definitely if he falls into the 3rd and they have a chance to move up spots. Josh Sweat from FSU is another highly talented kid...but questions around his knee are why he wasn't a 1st rounder.

After that...Id like to see which WRs are there...with Jordy gone and Adam's concussion history...need some outside guys and hope the big boy Clark can develop.

OL...probably more later in the draft than 2nd round...I have not really looked at the talent there to know.  But any spot on the OL could use depth now.

ILB...Im betting we draft at least one in the first 5 rounds.  Will be interesting from the homer standpoint of where Cichy goes...those knee injuries are scary, but guy was a leader and has the coach on the field mentality as well.  

RB...not seeing a lot of reason to go RB here unless they move Ty back to WR.  Even as tempting as Guice is (I don't think he last past 5 picks or so tonight). 

Won't be able to watch or follow much and will be playing catch up later as my son has Confirmation tonight and then I will be catching up on the Predators game once I get home.
Good breakdown.  I don't really care who we take, as long as it's best player available.....and not a Safety.  

Agreed and once Ward and Chubb were off the board there was no one really for them to trade up for.  I think if one of those guys fell to 9 they'd have made a move up.
True, although as many have pointed out, either Edmunds or James would have been good value at 14 by almost all accounts.  Many of the more respected draft guys had both going top 10.  As it turned out, they went 16 and 17 right before the Packers picked Alexander at 18.

Of course none of us knows how any of these guys will pan out, but I think we can say the Packers dropped all pretense of BPA last night. They were locked in on a CB.  That's a desperate need that exists due to failure and neglect of the prior regime and may have cost the team getting an elite player yesterday.

True, although as many have pointed out, either Edmunds or James would have been good value at 14 by almost all accounts.  Many of the more respected draft guys had both going top 10.  As it turned out, they went 16 and 17 right before the Packers picked Alexander at 18.

Of course none of us knows how any of these guys will pan out, but I think we can say the Packers dropped all pretense of BPA last night. They were locked in on a CB.  That's a desperate need that exists due to failure and neglect of the prior regime and may have cost the team getting an elite player yesterday.
I'm fine with that as I think a vast majority of the time BPA is complete bs.  Other than when the Packers took Rodgers most of TT's 1st rounders were based on need.  He always said they took the BPA but I never bought that for a second.  And if they truly did take the BPA then they skewed their boards to give more weight to their weaker positions.  Sometimes it works as in the case with Ha Ha but oftentimes it doesn't Datonne Jones and Randall come to mind.  While Edmunds and James are intriguing I think Alexander is too.  Heck Mayock had him as the #1 CB in the draft so the kid does have some skills.  4.38 it's been awhile since the Pack have had that kind of speed in the secondary...hopefully he stays healthy.  I do like that Gut isn't afraid to mix things up so it should make for an entertaining night tonight.

Maybe.  But they very well may have had Edmunds, James, Davenport and Alexander in the same tier.  When 3/4 went 14, 16, 17, they jumped back in and got the last guy.  

• Smile
Reactions: blk
Interesting to note the draft capital the Packers have spent on their secondary recently.  

2014 1st HaHa Clinton Dix S

2015 1st Damarious Randall CB

2015 2nd Quinten Rollins CB

2017 2nd (1st pick) Kevin King CB

2017 2nd Josh Jones S

2018 1st Jaire Alexander CB

So of the nine 1st and 2nd round choices since 2014, six of them have been players in the secondary.  

I wouldn't dismiss the idea of drafting one of the top TE either. I know we signed Graham but he is nearing the end of his career. I would like to see this team commit an early pick to a TE that can develop into a difference maker.

I would like to see some upward movement with our remaining draft capital.  I would like quality over breadth.  I would like to see a Guard or a T.E. in the second, even perhaps a move up to snag one. I am fine if we eventually only come away with 8 or 9 players, if they are players.

I wouldn't dismiss the idea of drafting one of the top TE either. I know we signed Graham but he is nearing the end of his career. I would like to see this team commit an early pick to a TE that can develop into a difference maker.
Was just reading about a few and thought this too.  Big kid from Penn State is intriguing.

Not sure I see a way we only pick in the 2nd round tonight.  Have a feeling we move up into the 3rd using some of those later picks.  Sucks that it will likely take giving up that top of the 4th round pick. 

I love love love what we did last night. move down 4 spots and give up a 3rd for a 1st next year. robbery! 

Alexander I like. he's not far off from our height cut off. he' got awedsome speed. I think it' exactly what we need. 
Hope so, Mayock likes the pick. 

I liked the pick, especially given that it adds a huge dimension to the return game as well as having a CB with blinding recovery speed.

I loved the manipulation of the draft in the capital they gained vs what they surrendered in moving down 4 picks.  That’s just abusing 2 other teams in the draft to advance the Packers’ interests.  Huge fan of that kind of manipulation of one team’s desire to move up and the other’s to move down.

Interesting to note the draft capital the Packers have spent on their secondary recently.  

2017 2nd Josh Jones S

So of the nine 1st and 2nd round choices since 2014, six of them have been players in the secondary.  
Reminiscent of the year Ron Wolf drafted Edwards/Vinson/McKenzie 1-2-3 (the "we're scared to death of Randy Moss" year), then Sherman drafted Ahmad Carrol and Joey Thomas 1-2 a few years later. woof!

I definitely would like to see a 3rd round pick, and wouldn't even mind moving down in the 2nd to make that happen.

When Derwin James fell, I was really hoping we would nab him, but I'm ecstatic about the moves last night.

The height is a concern, but the more I read on Alexander, the more I like.

2017 2nd Josh Jones S

Just abysmal drafting.  Embarrassing result from all that investment so far.  Go back further - Casey Hayward.  

Was just reading about a few and thought this too.  Big kid from Penn State is intriguing.

Not sure I see a way we only pick in the 2nd round tonight.  Have a feeling we move up into the 3rd using some of those later picks.  Sucks that it will likely take giving up that top of the 4th round pick. 
Yeah, it would be a shame to have to give up the next Vince Biegel

Or Jamal Williams, or Blake Martinez, or Jake Ryan, or Tretter, or Bahktiari, or Mike Daniels, or Davon House, or TJ Lang, or Josh Sitton?

All 4th rounders
I get your point but they have 10 picks on Saturday.  Plus Jake Ryan probably doesn't belong on this list though they do have an impressive 4th round track record.  Hell better than their 1sts.

I get your point but they have 10 picks on Saturday.  Plus Jake Ryan probably doesn't belong on this list though they do have an impressive 4th round track record.  Hell better than their 1sts.
Sure he isn’t up there with the others but is a serviceable starter.

Users who are viewing this thread