What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (4 Viewers)

I don't mind using some picks to get someone you are really high on but this team needs to accumulate a lot of good young depth. They have to pay Rodgers to keep him happy and in the fold. I think they can use their young WR to fill some of what was lost but I wouldn't mind seeing another body there that may pan out. I would like to see a young TE with some great athleticism to develop. They can always use some bodies on both lines. They could use some LB help and you have to start thinking about what your plan is to replace Clay Matthews. I wouldn't mind seeing some more S help added. When you have a QB that could be the highest paid player in the league you need a lot of cheap talent to stay under the cap and stay competitive. Trade up if there is a player you have a high grade on that fills a need but all these picks can be important.

This is a bpa pick and I am fine with that. I think Pettine is going to show some varied looks back there.

love our DL, like what they are doing with secondary, but we badly (like in the worst way) need an edge rusher (s)

Just abysmal drafting.  Embarrassing result from all that investment so far.  Go back further - Casey Hayward.  
Wait, what? Ignore if I'm missing sarcasm. I've had a few cocktails tonight.

Maybe not here under Capers but Heyward is a 2x Pro Bowler

HaHa is solid if unspectacular. I think his injuries last year held him back. Let's see if Pettine can use him. He's got the talent.

Randall and Rollins, yes I will give you

King and Jones still have time. King suffered from the shoulder last year but showed some promise. The jury is still out on both

Add in Alexander and now Josh Jones? Now you have a lot of DB talent with guys like House and Williams back to help. Let them battle it out and the cream will rise. This should be a formidable secondary, provided the front 7 can get some pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just abysmal drafting.  Embarrassing result from all that investment so far.  Go back further - Casey Hayward.  
Casey Hayward is crushing it right now on the Chargers.  He was also the #1 rated corner on PFF his rookie year. Incredibly undervalued.

He had a rough 3rd/4th year with injuries and the Packers chose not to re-sign him, which was a monster mistake. He's had a great career since leaving.  They just chose the wrong one to let go.

Casey Hayward is crushing it right now on the Chargers.  He was also the #1 rated corner on PFF his rookie year. Incredibly undervalued.

He had a rough 3rd/4th year with injuries and the Packers chose not to re-sign him, which was a monster mistake. He's had a great career since leaving.  They just chose the wrong one to let go.
The Hayward comment was meant to show how stupid we are - the one pick that pays off and we let him leave in FA.  Unreal.

Hope it turns out better this draft!

Well, I had preferred Jackson so it’s nice getting him too and see how these two new guys do.

A position that always sees injuries it seems.  Nice to have an influx of talent.

Trading up for OLB who projected to go 4-5 round, trading up not working, lucky to JJackson was available in 2nd

Looks to me like he was an ILB at Vandy.  From the highlights I have seen so far looks like me moves well and is good in coverage.  Seems like a situational linebacker to get Ryan off the field.  Hopefully develops into a starter.

Good Ryan is too slow.  Maybe didn’t need to move up but they still have 3 5ths so not a huge deal.  If Pettine wanted him for his versatility then I’m on board.

OLB's in a 3-4 are generally bigger than ILB.  Are you saying he will play safety?  I also don't think there are many WR's at 6'3 and 233 lbs.

Looks like a sub package coverage linebacker because Ryan was god awful in space.  

I think we’re understating how fantastic it is that Josh Jackson fell to the 2nd round.  They got 2 solid players at by far their weakest position plus an additional 1st rounder next year.  Excellent fricken draft for the rookie Gut.  It’s all gravy from here on out.

Of course he is.  Teams are in nickel or dime 60% of the time in today’s pass happy NFL. Think a poor mans Mark Barron or Deonne Buchanan.

You don’t find the next Deone Buchanon by drafting light LBs and hope they fit the bill.  Teams have been trying for a while and mostly miss.  You find guys like that by drafting them for the position they naturally play and accidentally stumble on their unique talents.

I sure could be wrong - it’s happened plenty before.  But this looks like a miss for a starting piece to me.  But like I said, he could carry huge value on STs, and that’s very valuable also.

You don’t find the next Deone Buchanon by drafting light LBs and hope they fit the bill.  Teams have been trying for a while and mostly miss.  You find guys like that by drafting them for the position they naturally play and accidentally stumble on their unique talents.

I sure could be wrong - it’s happened plenty before.  But this looks like a miss for a starting piece to me.  But like I said, he could carry huge value on STs, and that’s very valuable also.
I guess I’m not going to pass judgement until I actually see him play.  Pettine obviously wanted him so let’s just wait and see.

Morgan Burnett played a ton of ilb for the Packers last season and this Burks kid is bigger and faster. I know nothing about him, but like what I’m reading. 

I was shocked Jackson was available for them in the 2nd. The defense seems to be in pretty good shape now, front to back. 

Anyone of you Randall defenders in here ready to eat the crow yet?  What a repudiation!  

Not only did Gute trade him to the armpit of the NFL.  He then drafts two guys better than him, and the Browns draft corners too, just to make sure they aren't counting on him at corner at all.  

I get plenty wrong, but I nailed that one.  Such an addition by subtraction.

I really wish they'd have gotten Harold Landry as I think the pass rush is weak.  But you can't draft everybody.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I worry about is when fans think it's a great draft, it's usually a bust.  The boring drafts usually end up netting the studs it seems like.  

The only thing I worry about is when fans think it's a great draft, it's usually a bust.  The boring drafts usually end up netting the studs it seems like.  
Part of the reason I think this is a solid draft has nothing to do with the players but with nabbing a first rounder next year.

i have said a thousand times in packers threads how I believe defense should be built through front seven, so I am dissapointed no pure pass rushers have been selected or signed. 

I just really like what the draftees bring to Pettines defense. We increased team speed which is huge. 

But it doesn’t matter if we line up Deion Sanders and Darrell Green in their primes at corner. No pass rush means horrendous pass d. 

Day 3.

Anyone left who can rush the passer?

The Sweat kid from FSU with the injury history still there?

Other than that I see a day of OL prospects and WR

Part of the reason I think this is a solid draft has nothing to do with the players but with nabbing a first rounder next year.

i have said a thousand times in packers threads how I believe defense should be built through front seven, so I am dissapointed no pure pass rushers have been selected or signed. 

I just really like what the draftees bring to Pettines defense. We increased team speed which is huge. 

But it doesn’t matter if we line up Deion Sanders and Darrell Green in their primes at corner. No pass rush means horrendous pass d. 
All is not lost as they did add Wilkerson and with Kenny Clark entering his prime this d line will be solid.  I have confidence that Pettine will figure out ways to get to the QB.  Hopefully Perry can stay healthy and Biegel takes a step up.

GB had a huge talent deficiency at CB worse than OLB.  While a pass rusher would’ve been nice I still think getting the 2 DBs they did was the smart way to go.

Anyone of you Randall defenders in here ready to eat the crow yet?  What a repudiation!  

Not only did Gute trade him to the armpit of the NFL.  He then drafts two guys better than him, and the Browns draft corners too, just to make sure they aren't counting on him at corner at all.  

I get plenty wrong, but I nailed that one.  Such an addition by subtraction.

I really wish they'd have gotten Harold Landry as I think the pass rush is weak.  But you can't draft everybody.  
Props Saber on Randall glad that fool is gone.  I’m actually glad they didn’t get Landry as he wasn’t all that impressive in the couple games I saw them last year.  I’d much rather have Jackson.  Mainly though I’m just glad they have a new GM.

All is not lost as they did add Wilkerson and with Kenny Clark entering his prime this d line will be solid.  I have confidence that Pettine will figure out ways to get to the QB.  Hopefully Perry can stay healthy and Biegel takes a step up.

GB had a huge talent deficiency at CB worse than OLB.  While a pass rusher would’ve been nice I still think getting the 2 DBs they did was the smart way to go.
I really like the d line. Clark, Daniels, and Wilkerson (if Pettine can light a fire under him) are above average. That’s not the issue. The issue is getting a pure edge rusher(s). Matthews should have been cut as he is a shell of his former self. 

I like the makeup of the young secondary but it means nothing if you can’t get consistent pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread