What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (2 Viewers)

I really like the d line. Clark, Daniels, and Wilkerson (if Pettine can light a fire under him) are above average. That’s not the issue. The issue is getting a pure edge rusher(s). Matthews should have been cut as he is a shell of his former self. 

I like the makeup of the young secondary but it means nothing if you can’t get consistent pressure.
Have faith in Pettine.  There are other ways to get to the QB than pressure from the edge.  This defense just had too many holes to fix in one draft.  

Also it does go both ways if the secondary can’t hang with there guys for more than a split second it doesn’t matter who your pass rushers are.  A better secondary will help the pass rush.  Though I do agree they still need to address that position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have faith in Pettine.  There are other ways to get to the QB than pressure from the edge.  This defense just had too many holes to fix in one draft.  

Also it does go both ways if the secondary can’t hang with there guys for more than a split second it doesn’t matter who your pass rushers are.  A better secondary will help the pass rush.  Though I do agree they still need to address that position.
I think Petine is going to really improve the defense. But he needs edge rushers badly.

i disagree it works both ways. In order for a secondary to help pass rush they would need to hold coverage for 5 seconds and that is impossible to do consistently

I think Petine is going to really improve the defense. But he needs edge rushers badly.

i disagree it works both ways. In order for a secondary to help pass rush they would need to hold coverage for 5 seconds and that is impossible to do consistently
Agree 100%.  It's possible though - maybe highly likely - that the Packers just didn't see this as a draft with good edge rushers.  Or not as good of edge rushers as DBs.   IF that is the case, it gives me more faith that they are looking at drafting as a multi-year window, not just in a single year vacuum.

Everything that happens with this team, and indeed in our lives as a whole, can be directly tied to Damarious Randall.  Trading him to Cleveland won't change that, as we knew.  Its still all about Damarious and always will be.

a few comments from Silverstein on Moore, reverse order:

Tom Silverstein‏Verified account @TomSilverstein 3m3 minutes ago

As someone correctly noted, Moore ran 4.6 at the combine and 4.49 at his pro day.

Dropped passes were an issue. We'll see what the Packers' scout says about that.

Moore had 127 catches and 18 touchdowns over the past two seasons for Missouri.

Moore is 6-2 1/2, 207, 4.49, 9 3/8 inch hands, 38-inch vertical, 21 reps on the bench.

Packers go for Missouri WR J'Mon Moore, a player they had in for a pre-draft visit.

There's the offensive lineman

Cole Madison T

Played right tackle but could slide to guard

I recently matched the Mega Millions ball and sent my $1 winning to D Randall, because I knew it was because of him. 

But to be mean I didn’t explain the cash, but sent it in a cheesehead card. 

The Packers have always failed at keeping the great CB's of the time. Randall is awesome. Cleveland is lucky to have got him at the price they paid plus Cleveland is going to the Super Bowl next year in part due to Randall's league leading INT's (like 11 coming up). The other great CB Green Bay didn't give a chance to was #27 Terrell Buckley. Guy was awesome and fans ran him out of town. 50 career INT's and Super Bowl champ as well.

So glad Thompson is gone... next up McCarthy!

Agree 100%.  It's possible though - maybe highly likely - that the Packers just didn't see this as a draft with good edge rushers.  Or not as good of edge rushers as DBs.   IF that is the case, it gives me more faith that they are looking at drafting as a multi-year window, not just in a single year vacuum.
This wasn't a good draft for edge rushers at all.  All you do is have to look at the first round.  I am pleased with this draft so far.  They added depth, youth and talent to their secondary.  Alexander and Burks add much needed speed and athleticism.  Moore gives them size at wr and in the red zone while Madison brings some nasty and depth to the OL.  No way to judge how these guys ultimately produce but the methodology is sound.

Additionally the extra first next year, even if it is in the late 20's, gives them two 1st's to possibly move into the top 10 next year.  

This wasn't a good draft for edge rushers at all.  All you do is have to look at the first round.  I am pleased with this draft so far.  They added depth, youth and talent to their secondary.  Alexander and Burks add much needed speed and athleticism.  Moore gives them size at wr and in the red zone while Madison brings some nasty and depth to the OL.  No way to judge how these guys ultimately produce but the methodology is sound.

Additionally the extra first next year, even if it is in the late 20's, gives them two 1st's to possibly move into the top 10 next year.  
Yea, this is true.  Top-down it was just not a good draft for 4-3 OLB prospects.  Lots of great defensive lineman, cornerbacks, and interior lineman. Just a bad year for a big need for GB. But thankfully they were able to address need at many other spots.

Need an upgrade at punter, Vogel was near bottom in many punting categories. With the amount of picks we have, I have no problem with this. 

WR from South Florida

Valdes-Scantling has the second gear to run down the deep ball and take the top off the coverage. He grades out as a sub-package receiver with the size-speed combination to add a vertical threat to an offense.

6'4" wr with 4.3 speed.  Have to assume he is super raw otherwise he wouldn't be available at the end of the 5th, but man that is a lot to work with

The lack of a deep threat last year really slowed the offense. Maybe this guy can develop into a deep threat.

St Brown in the 6th round.  How does that happen?  Wow.  There’s legit SOD value there after he gets a couple of seasons under his belt.  Why did he fall so far?

St Brown in the 6th round.  How does that happen?  Wow.  There’s legit SOD value there after he gets a couple of seasons under his belt.  Why did he fall so far?
His production fell off big time this year, compared to last with Kizer leaving.  Some teams may also have concern with his family.  Beyond that, no idea

Really liking the draft so far. Not quite sure about a punter in the 5th but he sounds like he is a good one. I can see Alexander, Jackson, Burks and Madison starting at some point this season and playing key roles. Along with Scott at punter. One of the later round WRs could be the 3rd WR on the team behind Adams and Cobb.

Pipes said:

I agree.  But we've sure wasted a lot of draft capital in that secondary.  Ted really screwed the pooch on Randall and Rollins.  

Yep.  That is also why I am fine with them passing on James.  They would have moved him to slot and while he definitely has the physical measurements required, I want a db who plays db not a converted safety.  
I agree.  Stop with all the converting bull ####. 

Happy with the draft overall.  I dont get the punter in the 5th round, but hey, hope he works out.

I do like to see the OL picks.  We need some depth there, if nothing else.

No edge rusher, but like others have mentioned, not much in this draft.

We wont know how good this draft is for several years.  Seems above average on paper.

I don’t get the derision over taking a P in the 5th.  If a team has a very good P, that can mean a difference of +5/6 yds every exchange of downs that you don’t score, not to mention restricting offenses by pinning them down well inside their own 20.  Over the course of a game that change in field position can mean the difference between a win and a loss in a close game, or a couple of FGs that would have been Ps otherwise.  This kid looks like he fits that bill plus has KO possibilities.

Really like some of the late DL flyers.  There’s some potential edge setting/pass rush in those guys.

jurrassic said:
Not sure how well the Saints will do next year but that pick will be paired with the #1 from the Packers. Maybe Green Bay will have picks #1 and #2. That would be neato. 

I don’t get the derision over taking a P in the 5th.  If a team has a very good P, that can mean a difference of +5/6 yds every exchange of downs that you don’t score, not to mention restricting offenses by pinning them down well inside their own 20.  Over the course of a game that change in field position can mean the difference between a win and a loss in a close game, or a couple of FGs that would have been Ps otherwise.  This kid looks like he fits that bill plus has KO possibilities.

Really like some of the late DL flyers.  There’s some potential edge setting/pass rush in those guys.

I think we all get the importance of field position and I don't mind taking a punter in the draft. It's just that the 5th round is a bit early considering the team has major needs at other positions that could have been addressed in the 5th. Hopefully he comes in and does a great job at punting and kicking off  . . . . . and rushing the quarterback.

Looking around the internet almost all sites are giving the Packers an A for their draft. Those are generally meaningless but I do enjoy reading their reasoning.

I think we all get the importance of field position and I don't mind taking a punter in the draft. It's just that the 5th round is a bit early considering the team has major needs at other positions that could have been addressed in the 5th. Hopefully he comes in and does a great job at punting and kicking off  . . . . . and rushing the quarterback.

Looking around the internet almost all sites are giving the Packers an A for their draft. Those are generally meaningless but I do enjoy reading their reasoning.
You guys started a run on punters though.  Several were taken in the 5th this year.  Why not burn a late pick on getting the best of the bunch?

Balco said:

From SI.com

New defensive coordinator Mike Pettine always had an aggressive, disruptive pass rush when he was coordinating the Jets’ defense from 2009-12, even though that team had very mediocre edge rushers. Pettine generated pressure through scheme by putting extra defensive backs on the field and having them roam around, creating a blurry look. At the snap, some would rush and others would rotate into coverage. It was hard for blockers to identify which would come, and the beauty was those defensive backs always arrived quicker than a defensive lineman or linebacker would.

Head coach Mike McCarthy favors this unique brand of defense, which was also employed—to a lesser extent—by Pettine’s predecessor, Dom Capers. For this approach to work, you need corners who can win on an island. In Green Bay, Pettine inherited only one decent corner: last year’s second-rounder Kevin King, who has played just nine NFL games. So, the team drafted of twitchy Jaire Alexander in the first round and lanky Josh Jackson in the second. The Packers now have youthful talent at all three starting corner spots.

Now I do think a pass rusher would've been nice just not at the expense of Alexander or Jackson.  I'm excited to see this defense this year.

You guys started a run on punters though.  Several were taken in the 5th this year.  Why not burn a late pick on getting the best of the bunch?
Seattle traded up to take a punter in the 5th before the Packers did.  The run was Oakland then took a punter with the very next pick after the Packers for 3 total in the 5th.

Also, we have the historical scar of BJ Sander, although I think he was third round. 

From SI.com

New defensive coordinator Mike Pettine always had an aggressive, disruptive pass rush when he was coordinating the Jets’ defense from 2009-12, even though that team had very mediocre edge rushers. Pettine generated pressure through scheme by putting extra defensive backs on the field and having them roam around, creating a blurry look. At the snap, some would rush and others would rotate into coverage. It was hard for blockers to identify which would come, and the beauty was those defensive backs always arrived quicker than a defensive lineman or linebacker would.

Head coach Mike McCarthy favors this unique brand of defense, which was also employed—to a lesser extent—by Pettine’s predecessor, Dom Capers. For this approach to work, you need corners who can win on an island. In Green Bay, Pettine inherited only one decent corner: last year’s second-rounder Kevin King, who has played just nine NFL games. So, the team drafted of twitchy Jaire Alexander in the first round and lanky Josh Jackson in the second. The Packers now have youthful talent at all three starting corner spots.

Now I do think a pass rusher would've been nice just not at the expense of Alexander or Jackson.  I'm excited to see this defense this year.
I’d have to take a look. I lived in jet country when pettine was dc and I remember the linebackers getting majority of sacks. Could be completely wrong. 

When looking at the draft again, it just doesn’t look like there was much depth for edge rushers.  So I understand them not taking one. We have seen what happens when we reach for need. 

I 100% believe that defense need to be built through the front seven. The Eagles has an absolutely relentless pass rush. Forced hurried throws and took pressure off the secondary.

My hope is we generate enough pressure to take heat off the guys in coverage. 

Reading about the punter, he could be something kind of special actually.  Really helped out Alabama's D with ability to pin teams really deep.  
People always tend to overlook special teams but it is such an important part of the game. Not sure why people questioning taking a punter in the fifth round, especially a punter who was very very good. And especially since we had a bad punter. It’s a fifth rounder, and it was spent on a player who can hugely impact the team. I’d say that’s good value in the 5th.

shady inc said:
Punter, nice!!
Yea, credibility blown. Take a Punter over LB Jack Cichy of Wi. Yes Cichy has been hurt..... But a Punter? A PUNTER?

Not much faith in Gutey now, has a lot to prove.

Users who are viewing this thread