What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (5 Viewers)

Interseptopus

Footballguy
I didn't see one made. I figured it's time to move on from 2017 and look forward to 2018.

A lot going on this off season already; some great some frustrating. 

The draft is around the corner, and there are still some interesting free agents to be had on the market! 

Here's hoping to a better year in 2018! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed Tramon Williams, 2 year deal
Probably my favorite move they have made all off season. They needed a veteran CB badly, getting one who can not only teach the young guys, but still play at a high level is awesome. He could be Green Bay's version of Terrance Newman.

Mr.Pack said:
Signed Tramon Williams, 2 year deal
Actually looked and he played pretty well last year for Arizona.  Still need help in the secondary.  So what do we do in the 1st round?

This from a couple weeks ago in the other thread.

So for the rest of FA and draft...needs?

Depending on Bulaga...tackle and guard are needs.  Talk of one of the top guys in the first round.  Doesn't seem like a bad pick...its not flashy, but top 15 OL seem to do pretty well.  Past several years...scouting has done well also though with those later round interior linemen (granted...how much of the personnel dept is still left).  Could we not have talked Cleveland into Joe Thomas with that Randall trade? 

ILB...Im still pretty big on Roquan Smith out of Georgia. Size may be the question.  But if he is there at 14...I would not be sad at all seeing him picked to go with Martinez...not sure they stick with Jake Ryan as a starter...so I expect this position to be addressed at some point likely in the draft.  Ryan may start the year if they don't take a guy in the early rounds...but may be pressed out of duty by a rookie.  Will Cichy be ready?  Always fun to see a Wisconsin guy come to GB.  Kid has heart...but definitely injury history that isn't great...later round prospect?

OLB...seems like some talent here in this draft. Harold Landry gets a lot of talk.  I think there are some guys here whether its 1st round or first 3 rounds...having those top picks in the 4th and 5th now are nice too.  Id too love to see Clay restructure.  Still makes plays...but not as many as that contract dictates.  Perry has spurts of really good play...and is solid but not just flat out stud. What will Biegel bring in the offseason and preseason?  Could see this addressed with more than one pick...almost anywhere in the draft.

Secondary...Burnett gone?  Have HaHa and Jones so they won't overpay Burnett...but D has looked different when he isn't in there.  With Randall gone...they need bodies here bad.  I don't see them spending big in FA here...but would expect a veteran of some sort brought in as well as draft picks.  Another strong possibility for 1st rounder here.  I like Josh Jackson's physical tools for sure...Ward out of OSU as well despite his size.  And Jaire Alexander...if his injuries are behind him.  All possible 1st round guys there at 14.

Receiver...probably later round picks...don't see them going there early.

As much as I like Roquan Smith and Evans from Alabama at ILB...not sure we can afford to go there early.  Ryan, while not great, is serviceable and Im not sure we have that at other positions.

I think it almost has to be Corner or OL in the 1st?  

I just wanted to share a story for all you Packers fans.   I'm from Aaron Rodgers hometown and went to the same high school.  He's regularly helped with paying for kids uniforms etc and this year both the boys and girls basketball teams have made the state finals tomorrow.  Here's the instagram post from the school:  "We want to give a huge THANK YOU to Aaron Rodgers!!! He generously paid for all cost related to this weekends State Championship Game!!! Make sure to thank him and be extra loud at these games! This is beyond amazing to help out our high school basketball teams get to states. Also, we thank CUSD for paying for the team buses! Once a Viking, always a Viking".   He does these things under the radar so I though I'd post it here as we need to hear about some of the good things these players do!

travdogg said:
Probably my favorite move they have made all off season. They needed a veteran CB badly, getting one who can not only teach the young guys, but still play at a high level is awesome. He could be Green Bay's version of Terrance Newman.
I don't fully disagree, but he is 35. 

Actually looked and he played pretty well last year for Arizona.  Still need help in the secondary.  So what do we do in the 1st round?

This from a couple weeks ago in the other thread.

So for the rest of FA and draft...needs?

Depending on Bulaga...tackle and guard are needs.  Talk of one of the top guys in the first round.  Doesn't seem like a bad pick...its not flashy, but top 15 OL seem to do pretty well.  Past several years...scouting has done well also though with those later round interior linemen (granted...how much of the personnel dept is still left).  Could we not have talked Cleveland into Joe Thomas with that Randall trade? 

ILB...Im still pretty big on Roquan Smith out of Georgia. Size may be the question.  But if he is there at 14...I would not be sad at all seeing him picked to go with Martinez...not sure they stick with Jake Ryan as a starter...so I expect this position to be addressed at some point likely in the draft.  Ryan may start the year if they don't take a guy in the early rounds...but may be pressed out of duty by a rookie.  Will Cichy be ready?  Always fun to see a Wisconsin guy come to GB.  Kid has heart...but definitely injury history that isn't great...later round prospect?

OLB...seems like some talent here in this draft. Harold Landry gets a lot of talk.  I think there are some guys here whether its 1st round or first 3 rounds...having those top picks in the 4th and 5th now are nice too.  Id too love to see Clay restructure.  Still makes plays...but not as many as that contract dictates.  Perry has spurts of really good play...and is solid but not just flat out stud. What will Biegel bring in the offseason and preseason?  Could see this addressed with more than one pick...almost anywhere in the draft.

Secondary...Burnett gone?  Have HaHa and Jones so they won't overpay Burnett...but D has looked different when he isn't in there.  With Randall gone...they need bodies here bad.  I don't see them spending big in FA here...but would expect a veteran of some sort brought in as well as draft picks.  Another strong possibility for 1st rounder here.  I like Josh Jackson's physical tools for sure...Ward out of OSU as well despite his size.  And Jaire Alexander...if his injuries are behind him.  All possible 1st round guys there at 14.

Receiver...probably later round picks...don't see them going there early.

As much as I like Roquan Smith and Evans from Alabama at ILB...not sure we can afford to go there early.  Ryan, while not great, is serviceable and Im not sure we have that at other positions.

I think it almost has to be Corner or OL in the 1st?  
Good breakdown.  Like your logic.

That said, I always hope they go BPA.  Our worst draft picks have been focused on position rather than BPA.  Hi Justin Harrell!

Heard yesterday Cleveland is trying Randall at safety?
That's his natural position.

He was ranked the top safety prospect in the draft by NFL analyst Mike Mayock, was ranked the top free safety in the draft by NFLDraftScout.com, was ranked the second best safety by NFL analyst Charles Davis, and was ranked the seventh best safety by Sports Illustrated.[16][17][18][19]
So naturally TT drafted him as a CB

Yes. Randall was rated the #1 to #3 safety in 2015 draft class depending on where you read.  

Rollins was rated just behind Randall. 

Yes, we drafted 2 safeties to play CB. Classic Ted
Interestingly both had decent coverage skills if not the ability to understand who to cover in what scheme but neither are particularly willing tacklers, at least thus far, with Randall tending to shy away more than most.  Ted was right, those guys are, if anything, corners miscast as safeties.

I just wanted to share a story for all you Packers fans.   I'm from Aaron Rodgers hometown and went to the same high school.  He's regularly helped with paying for kids uniforms etc and this year both the boys and girls basketball teams have made the state finals tomorrow.  Here's the instagram post from the school:  "We want to give a huge THANK YOU to Aaron Rodgers!!! He generously paid for all cost related to this weekends State Championship Game!!! Make sure to thank him and be extra loud at these games! This is beyond amazing to help out our high school basketball teams get to states. Also, we thank CUSD for paying for the team buses! Once a Viking, always a Viking".   He does these things under the radar so I though I'd post it here as we need to hear about some of the good things these players do!
Thanks for sharing.

Always good to hear...and yes, he does stuff pretty off the radar.  His work in Wisconsin with the MACC fund is incredible as well.

Good breakdown.  Like your logic.

That said, I always hope they go BPA.  Our worst draft picks have been focused on position rather than BPA.  Hi Justin Harrell!
True...I think, however, that BPA is going to be one of 4 that I mentioned. CB, OLB, ILB, offensive line.  I don't think you can go wrong with any of them...just think out of necessity I think CB and Oline may be bigger needs .  Not sure how far you can trust Bulaga injury wise and even if you try for this year...a replacement has to be thought of soon.  What is the plan for guard...do they bring Evans back?  I have not paid much attention to how much talk he is even getting or how much more does he have left?

I like Bulaga.  Injuries happen but he is a tough guy, he will be back and be productive.  Also, its not as if the cupboard is completely bare.  Sure Spriggs and Murphy showed some growing pains, but they also showed promise and should be ready to put their growth on display this year.  If BPA is a tackle or a guard, fine, but I would not worry too much about that right now.

Hell, Green Bay is solid but could use an infusion at any position so BPA really works for me this year.

Any word on Jordan Matthews? I had heard they might be interested in him late last week but never heard anything else. I'm not following things closely so maybe I missed a lot?

Warhogs said:
Any word on Jordan Matthews? I had heard they might be interested in him late last week but never heard anything else. I'm not following things closely so maybe I missed a lot?
I saw a tweet asking one of the beat writers pretty much the same. He hadn't heard anything and took Matthew's visit as a get to know him/health check type visit. Not dead but sounds like a wait until healthy type deal.

An interesting article on Randall.

Makes me sour about Capers even more (and even Ted for drafting Safeties to play CB)

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/3/27/17168920/packers-failure-maximize-damarious-randall-part-of-ugly-trend-for-green-bay
There are some interesting points in that article, but also a whole lot of revisionist history. Randall was never better than Hayward, not even close. 

I agree that Hayward and Hyde played better outside of Green Bay, and Capers probably deserves some blame for that. But its also just as likely, that Randall isn't good. Hyde and especially Hayward had been productive before they left, Randall was the best he's ever been in 2017. I don't know where the writer is getting this 2015 narrative from, Randall was a liability all year that season.

Randall was a curious pick at the time. A lot of people that he was a 3rd round caliber guy, in addition to being a safety. 

There were 4 minutes left in the game and Rodgers was lighting up the Cowboys in the 4th quarter. Even if the Cowboys scored a TD, Rodgers wasn't losing that game.
Except he's lost a game the last 6 years he's made the playoffs....but hey keep throwing out junk. I'm sure more homers will like it.

Except he's lost a game the last 6 years he's made the playoffs....but hey keep throwing out junk. I'm sure more homers will like it.
Does Aaron play all 22 positions on the field?  Last time I checked it was a team game.  Most of those loses where due to poor coaching or mistakes by other players.

The comment was about Rodgers performance in that specific game.  24-35 316yds 3 TDS  0 INTs.  There was zero chance that Cowboys swiss cheese defense was stopping the Packers.  Even the fat man Eddie Lacy was over 100 yards rushing in that game with a 5.3 average.

It's so great when Cowboy fans run their mouth like the team has actually been relevant in the past decade.  Go troll another teams thread.  

Does Aaron play all 22 positions on the field?  Last time I checked it was a team game.  Most of those loses where due to poor coaching or mistakes by other players.

The comment was about Rodgers performance in that specific game.  24-35 316yds 3 TDS  0 INTs.  There was zero chance that Cowboys swiss cheese defense was stopping the Packers.  Even the fat man Eddie Lacy was over 100 yards rushing in that game with a 5.3 average.

It's so great when Cowboy fans run their mouth like the team has actually been relevant in the past decade.  Go troll another teams thread.  
"Rodgers wasn't going to lose that game" ......."Last time I checked it was a team game"

Y'all got me confused.

Also not a Cowboys fan. But any kind of criticism gets you bent out of shape.

He’s a Bears fan...he doesn’t understand good quarterback play.

Or playoff success in the past 30 years.

sho nuff said:
https://twitter.com/briangutekunst/status/981888211038466048?s=21

Did you know I offered Richard Rodgers a 3 year fully guaranteed contract if he could beat McCarthy in the 40 yard dash. 

He is now a Philadelphia Eagle.
That's funny.   Dude had a great moment against Detroit that I'll never forget. Besides that play, I can't recall a single meaningful contribution.  If he had even slightly more athleticism than me, he could have been an impact player.

That's funny.   Dude had a great moment against Detroit that I'll never forget. Besides that play, I can't recall a single meaningful contribution.  If he had even slightly more athleticism than me, he could have been an impact player.
Couple nice TDS against Dallas in the postseason.  But yeah...not a very athletic guy at all

Darnold, Rosen, Chubb, Barkley, Allen, Mayfield, Fitzpatrick, Nelson, D. Ward, T. Edmunds, R. Smith, D. James, V. Vea are all off the board. Packers are on the clock. They can't find a dance partner to trade down. Who's the pick? 

Darnold, Rosen, Chubb, Barkley, Allen, Mayfield, Fitzpatrick, Nelson, D. Ward, T. Edmunds, R. Smith, D. James, V. Vea are all off the board. Packers are on the clock. They can't find a dance partner to trade down. Who's the pick? 
Josh Jackson, McGlinchy (if they feel time to move on from Bulaga), Landry, Arden Key a possibility as well (talent wise he is there...off the field is the big ???).  Davenport is interesting...but seems less of the pass rush and needs work there, but damn good on the edge in run support.

Talent wise on the edge I like Key over Landry and Davenport.  

I like VanderEsch but not that high...more of an end of the round guy.

Id put Jackson as my top choice with McGlinchy only a tiny bit behind him...followed by Key, Landry, and Davenport.

It's always silly using last year's stats to predict this year's SOS....but I approve of calling the Pack's schedule the most difficult. All the sweeter when we win the super bowl.  :thumbup:
Well it used to be okay, but now with the turnover in the NFL it really doesn’t mean much. 

Personally I like Ward if he’s there, fills a need and will probably be one of the BPA at that point. We still need speed on defense and he will definitely help with that. 

Packers should sign dez
At first I thought that was crazy talk, somebody would surely overpay him and bring him in. I wouldn't dismiss the idea now. He wants a one year deal to prove himself. The biggest issue I see is will he view Green Bay as a good spot to prove himself over what other options he may have after the draft? My point being I wouldn't hate bringing him in on a one year deal.

At first I thought that was crazy talk, somebody would surely overpay him and bring him in. I wouldn't dismiss the idea now. He wants a one year deal to prove himself. The biggest issue I see is will he view Green Bay as a good spot to prove himself over what other options he may have after the draft? My point being I wouldn't hate bringing him in on a one year deal.
Dez is done.  His production, separation, catch rate, character issues are all terrible. Not worth the hassle at all.

Even if he was not done... cap space is running out - Packers blew their wad with several few free agent signings.  There will only be $7M in cap space available this year after rookies are signed.  That's almost nothing and you want to have a little buffer.  They'll need that rollover to help pay for Rodger's extension. 

Most NFL fans (even the ardent ones who post a lot on forums) don't have a clue how bad free agency is for your cap space.  It's very difficult to sign multiple players every year, even at lower cost. 

Frankly, I don't see the Packers even trying Dez on a 1-year/$5M deal.  Even though that's low risk, high-reward, they need that cap space. 

I see about a 5% chance this happens.

Josh Jackson, McGlinchy (if they feel time to move on from Bulaga), Landry, Arden Key a possibility as well (talent wise he is there...off the field is the big ???).  Davenport is interesting...but seems less of the pass rush and needs work there, but damn good on the edge in run support.

Talent wise on the edge I like Key over Landry and Davenport.  

I like VanderEsch but not that high...more of an end of the round guy.

Id put Jackson as my top choice with McGlinchy only a tiny bit behind him...followed by Key, Landry, and Davenport.
After 2 weeks...not much in my thinking has changed.

I think of who is expected to be there...I still like Jackson the most.

I have seen Jaire Alexander land in GB as well(also very intriguing...definitely has the speed).  I prefer Jackson a bit over him.  Have also seen some think Ward could drop (not seeing that) or that we would move up for him or Derwin James (not sure I see that either).  Ward would be my top CB but don't think he will be close to available for GB.

Of the OLB...Davenport or Landry seem to be the guys everyone talks about.  I love Arden Key talent wise...but 14 is too high with a lot of talk he will drop.  If he is there in the 2nd and they land one of those CBs...Id love that.

After 2 weeks...not much in my thinking has changed.

I think of who is expected to be there...I still like Jackson the most.

I have seen Jaire Alexander land in GB as well(also very intriguing...definitely has the speed).  I prefer Jackson a bit over him.  Have also seen some think Ward could drop (not seeing that) or that we would move up for him or Derwin James (not sure I see that either).  Ward would be my top CB but don't think he will be close to available for GB.

Of the OLB...Davenport or Landry seem to be the guys everyone talks about.  I love Arden Key talent wise...but 14 is too high with a lot of talk he will drop.  If he is there in the 2nd and they land one of those CBs...Id love that.
Thx sho.   Why do you like Jackson over Alexander?  Just curious.  I haven't seen tape on either of them.

Users who are viewing this thread