What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (2 Viewers)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have asked that the Packers trade me which is why I'm skipping OTAs.  I realize I'm not on the team, but that's besides the point since I've proven about as much as Josh Jones has on the field.  I believe a fresh start is best for both parties. 

I heard a small part of an interview with HOF LB Dave Robinson on Sirius today. He mentioned, that of the starters for the Pack in the SB 1/2 era, only he, Jerry Kramer, Boyd Dowler and Paul Hornung are still alive....so sad for us Pack fans, especially us old timers....RIP Bart and all the rest who helped instill a life long love of this game....

I heard a small part of an interview with HOF LB Dave Robinson on Sirius today. He mentioned, that of the starters for the Pack in the SB 1/2 era, only he, Jerry Kramer, Boyd Dowler and Paul Hornung are still alive....so sad for us Pack fans, especially us old timers....RIP Bart and all the rest who helped instill a life long love of this game....

RIP Bart Starr.  Maybe one of the most underrated players in NFL history.  On top of that spent his whole life making the community a better place to live.

The quoted response is really making me feel my age.  These guys were all pro athletes who I grew up admiring and now there are 4 of them left?  When you are a GB fan it’s almost like they are family. Geez...

92 days til kickoff.

While watching him throw the cowboys tackle around when he was down to one arm was fun (was it Erik Williams?)...seeing Carter try to pick up the blitz only to be tossed into his QB is pretty funny too.

Figured this was as good a spot as any to get the attention of Packers fans.

Long time dynasty league The Norris Dynasty is looking for a replacement owner who ideally is a Packers fan. Norris is going into it's 14th season and was originally created by posters at the Huddle.com. 

Norris is made up of fans of the NFC North teams, 3 fans of each of the Packers, Vikings, Lions, and Bears. 

It's a non-IDP dynasty and we haven't had our rookie draft yet this year. Buy in is inexpensive at $50. Payouts are spread as follows:

$200 champ

$80 second

$50 third

$70 MFL 

$50 each to the fan of each 4 NFC North teams who finishes with high points amongst their fan base

New league site was just purchased here:

http://www58.myfantasyleague.com/2019/home/42272#0

Available team is here:

http://www58.myfantasyleague.com/2019/options?L=42272&O=07&F=0011

They have all of their draft picks.

We haven't had a lot of turnover over the years but last year we had to find a new Lions owner and recruited @bicycle_seat_sniffer from FBG. Please don't hold that against the league. :oldrazz:

PM me with interest and questions. Thanks.

Figured this was as good a spot as any to get the attention of Packers fans.

Long time dynasty league The Norris Dynasty is looking for a replacement owner who ideally is a Packers fan. Norris is going into it's 14th season and was originally created by posters at the Huddle.com. 

Norris is made up of fans of the NFC North teams, 3 fans of each of the Packers, Vikings, Lions, and Bears. 

It's a non-IDP dynasty and we haven't had our rookie draft yet this year. Buy in is inexpensive at $50. Payouts are spread as follows:

$200 champ

$80 second

$50 third

$70 MFL 

$50 each to the fan of each 4 NFC North teams who finishes with high points amongst their fan base

New league site was just purchased here:

http://www58.myfantasyleague.com/2019/home/42272#0

Available team is here:

http://www58.myfantasyleague.com/2019/options?L=42272&O=07&F=0011

They have all of their draft picks.

We haven't had a lot of turnover over the years but last year we had to find a new Lions owner and recruited @bicycle_seat_sniffer from FBG. Please don't hold that against the league. :oldrazz:

PM me with interest and questions. Thanks.
Actually the best place to post this would have been in the looking for leagues forum. Sorry but it bothers me when we have a forum for filling leagues and someone posts like this where it clearly doesn't belong.

Actually the best place to post this would have been in the looking for leagues forum. Sorry but it bothers me when we have a forum for filling leagues and someone posts like this where it clearly doesn't belong.
Understood, but I was hoping I might catch the eye of a more long term poster who is a Packers fan here than in the sea of posts there that might not get seen by more long term posters.

RIP Bart Starr.  Maybe one of the most underrated players in NFL history.  On top of that spent his whole life making the community a better place to live.

The quoted response is really making me feel my age.  These guys were all pro athletes who I grew up admiring and now there are 4 of them left?  When you are a GB fan it’s almost like they are family. Geez...
My Mom found a box of stuff in the basement from my childhood bedroom and sent it on to me. Among the items was an old Packer Pennant, a small, white, maybe 1/3rd size football which I got when, at halftime of a shrine game in County Stadium, Bart threw maybe 50 or 100 of them up into the stands, so I caught a pass from Bart. Also a 8 by 11 black and white glossy of Bart signed Best Wishes Bart Starr.  The latter I got when he and Caroll Dale did an appearance tour at Sentry food Stores in the off season.  Faded now, as are my memories.  Still, it gave me a warm glow, like my memories.

Even using modern metrics he is still one of the top post season Q.B.'s in Q.B. rating.  Amazing for a guy from the run and defense era. Remember, it was not until after he retired that the NFL started protecting Q.B.'s, of course back then protection was that you could only spear them if you were within a step and a half of them after they released the ball.  I remember defenders suggesting that such protection amounted to putting a skirt on them. Well Bart never even got that protection.

I'm not excited about losing Daniels. I would have been much happier committing to only one of the Smith LBers and keeping Daniels around for another year. I think it would have brought more balance up front and would have left more options in the future as this club is now committed to both of the Smiths for several years.

Daniels is still a good player. I expect him to play well for someone else unless his injury hasn’t healed properly. Odd timing with the release. One of my favorite defensive players of the last decade.

At the same time they’ve extended Dean Lowry about whom I’ve felt mildly positive. He made some plays in those last 6 games of the season starting in place of Daniels. Now he’ll be locked in there for at least a couple years (3 yrs/$20m). His family were huge Bears fans before he was drafted by GB. I worked with a relative of his, which isn’t very interesting.

Daniels is still a good player. I expect him to play well for someone else unless his injury hasn’t healed properly. Odd timing with the release. One of my favorite defensive players of the last decade.

At the same time they’ve extended Dean Lowry about whom I’ve felt mildly positive. He made some plays in those last 6 games of the season starting in place of Daniels. Now he’ll be locked in there for at least a couple years (3 yrs/$20m). His family were huge Bears fans before he was drafted by GB. I worked with a relative of his, which isn’t very interesting.
Without seeing the contract details, Lowry feels like an overpay.

Do you think that the release of Daniels, which saves 8.3M against the cap this year, signals the Packers possibly adding a significant contract, such as trading for Melvin Gordon?

Just reading between the lines here and making a conjecture, but I thought I'd ask what you guys (Packers fans) thought. As a Chargers fan, I would obviously have some interest in this possibility.

I'd be surprised if they make any "corresponding move" although I have seen speculation to that effect. As to Melvin Gordon specifically, no way. Aaron Jones on a rookie contract is all they need right now at RB.

Yeah...I don't fully get this one.  If he is close to healthy...he is still a very good player.

I don't like it...good luck to him going forward and hope it isn't playing for a division rival.

Yeah...I don't fully get this one.  If he is close to healthy...he is still a very good player.

I don't like it...good luck to him going forward and hope it isn't playing for a division rival.
- aging DL

- foot injury 

- paid a lot

- never a great locker room guy

Not surprised he was cut.   The bigger surprise was giving Lowry a 3 year, $20M deal IMO.

Do you think that the release of Daniels, which saves 8.3M against the cap this year, signals the Packers possibly adding a significant contract, such as trading for Melvin Gordon?

Just reading between the lines here and making a conjecture, but I thought I'd ask what you guys (Packers fans) thought. As a Chargers fan, I would obviously have some interest in this possibility.
Zero chance.  They already spent 75% of the savings when they extended Lowry.

Crazy I thought the Lowry signing was a bargain. He was sneakily solid last year. Young starter at reasonable price.

I’m with others regarding Daniels. Don’t get it. He is scheme versatile which is ideal in Petines d.

Crazy I thought the Lowry signing was a bargain. He was sneakily solid last year. Young starter at reasonable price.

I’m with others regarding Daniels. Don’t get it. He is scheme versatile which is ideal in Petines d.
Yeah...just seemed odd to release him now...unless they use the space to then extend others they need to get secured for a few more years.

I've done three FFPC best ball drafts and J Graham has been TE16-TE18.
Is that low or is everyone taking a wait and see approach?

As we move into camp...here is what I am interested in, excited about, and/or nervous about.

Excited

-the continued development and use of Aaron Jones...he just seems to darn explosive and hope the new coaching staff utilizes his skills.

-Davante...he just keeps getting better...hoping he can rub off on the young WRs.

-Healthy Rodgers...at least to start the year.  Always exciting.

-Savage in the secondary...so much hype, Im excited more so than nervous to see if he lives up to the hype.

Interested

-How do all the pass rush pieces fit...

-This one is part in between here...but how the starting OL gels and looks.  This will get mentioned again below.

-Another year with the young players in the secondary...which way will they go.  This, to me, is trending more towards excited to see what they can do...especially if the pass rush can get home more.

-The D overall...I go back and forth on them being excited or nervous, so I stuck them in the middle.  In theory, another year of experience and adding Savage should help the secondary.  The added pass rush should help.  ILB and the interior line is more the question mark...so that would be what makes me nervous.  I think they should be an exciting unit to watch though.

Nervous

-OL depth...did they do enough to address that.  I like the starting 5...but its a position that always has dings along the way...

-Rodgers health will always make me nervous. As great of a player as he is...he takes chances with his body (more so that with his throws) and trying to take shots down field leads to taking a lot of hits.  If he stays healthy, they always have a chance.  But that has not happened in a while.

-WRs...Id like to put this more in the interested or excited categories...but have been excited before and they came up disappointing.  So Im excited and nervous about this group.  I think we may lack a true slot and its up to the coaches to scheme that.  Obviously Davante is fantastic...I liked what we saw in limited time with MVS.  Allison has shown flashes and Kumerow is a fan favorite.  We need them to put it all together and have the others step up.

Many here are probably familiar with Football Outsiders but if you're not into Numberz N Chartz I'll summarize some info from this article on Pressure by Number of Pass Rushers in 2018.

re: Pressure on blitzes (5+ rushers)

The Packers pressured opposing offenses on more than half of their blitzes, which was good for top five of all teams. But that pressure didn't result in the success one would expect as they finished bottom-five in DVOA (i.e. overall defensive efficiency compared to a league average) on blitzes. The primary culprit for that dissonance was in the secondary, where cornerbacks missed 30 games with various injuries. With second and third options in coverage, opponents converted a lot of big plays on the pressure plays that didn't result in sacks. Improved injury luck should inspire a 2019 turnaround, which regression already suggests is likely because of the team's excellent pressure rate.
re: Pressure w/ 2 or 3 rushers

The Packers pop again on this leaderboard, and likely for the same reason as before. The teams that struggle to cover have two recourses. They can either blitz to try to reduce the amount of time they are in coverage or they can drop extra defenders into coverage. The latter choice led to better results. It just may not have been feasible for them to increase their already-top-five frequencies since a two- or three-man rush relies so much on the confusion it creates.
Packers were also in the top five in generating pressure on DB blitzes. All of this indicates that Mike Pettine is scheming pressure at an encouraging rate, and this was with everyone learning his defense for the first time plus a very weak OLB group last year.

PS. I'd rather Mike Daniels go to the Lions than the Patriots. 😎

Why nervous about the WR group. This is a talented group of WR. Only thing they are lacking is experience and with the new system in place it should help them. Yes they will have to learn it but this system is better at getting them open than the one that had been run over the last 13 years. I see the WR core as a strength this year.

OL is an issue, and seems to be every year. Hopefully they can develop some depth with guys in camp. Also the new scheme might make them better. Running the ball and using play action should help slow down the pass rush this season. 

Why nervous about the WR group. This is a talented group of WR. Only thing they are lacking is experience and with the new system in place it should help them. Yes they will have to learn it but this system is better at getting them open than the one that had been run over the last 13 years. I see the WR core as a strength this year.

OL is an issue, and seems to be every year. Hopefully they can develop some depth with guys in camp. Also the new scheme might make them better. Running the ball and using play action should help slow down the pass rush this season. 
Well...I stated I have them really in all 3 categories.  I know they have talent...but Im in a show me mode with them and who may emerge.  I want to be excited by them...but until they prove they can create separation and Rodgers can trust them more...Im remaining nervous.

OL depth is that issue for sure.  Part of that is they just haven't found a way to move on from Bulaga who is always dinged in some way.

I apologize if there's a thread on this already (I did search) but can you local guys tell me the current scuttlebutt on the backfield situation? I'm a dynasty Aaron Jones owner, also own Jamal, and am wondering just how much I need to ensure that I also get Dexter.  His current owner is tossing him into a reasonable offer but I don't know whether to assign him more than a de minimis value. 

TIA.

Well...I stated I have them really in all 3 categories.  I know they have talent...but Im in a show me mode with them and who may emerge.  I want to be excited by them...but until they prove they can create separation and Rodgers can trust them more...Im remaining nervous.

OL depth is that issue for sure.  Part of that is they just haven't found a way to move on from Bulaga who is always dinged in some way.
I agree 100% on Bulaga. He should have been released this offseason. I think he is over rated by the media and can never stay healthy.

I apologize if there's a thread on this already (I did search) but can you local guys tell me the current scuttlebutt on the backfield situation? I'm a dynasty Aaron Jones owner, also own Jamal, and am wondering just how much I need to ensure that I also get Dexter.  His current owner is tossing him into a reasonable offer but I don't know whether to assign him more than a de minimis value. 

TIA.
I can’t tell you scuttlebut but I can tell you Williams is a replacement level running back. If another back shows he can do better than 3 yards and a cloud of dust, Williams will be replaced. Whether that’s by Dexter or Grant remains to be seen.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Please tell me Kizer doesn't make this team?

He again was mostly average at best against vanilla D.  Though, the TD ball was well done.

Boyle looks at least as competent and IMO has more upside.

Really not much to say about a “game” where so many sat out.

Highlight of the week was seeing JJWatt and the Texans getting to experience the bike rides (and watt breaking a kids bike).

From the limited preseason I have seen...

Keep Boyle, let Kizer walk.

WR will be an interesting thing...the injury to St. Brown sucks but helps them a bit as I think he was moving towards odd man out and now IR him and give him another year.

In for sure...Adams, Allison, MVS

Near lock...Kumerow and now I may add Trevor Davis here.  More on him in a bit.

Bubble...Darrius Shepherd, Allen Lazard, , Redding, J'Mon Moore and I would have put ESB in the bubble spot.

Putting Davis in the near lock...return guy, his speed showed last night and some other improvements.  Making a nice catch on an out route as he had to dive a bit for it...and the TD was good too.  He was also behind the D on a deep ball at one point and if Boyle had put it out in front of him more would have had a big gain.  He is a knucklehead who has had off the field issues...but he has talent.

I like what I have seen out of Shepherd and really think if they just go 6 WRs (if they even go 6), its between he and Lazard and I lean a bit towards Shepherd.  Lazard or Redding as PS guys.  Moore has talent and size...just has not put it all together in the last year and a half.  Might be one of those guys that latches on to the end of a roster somewhere else and figures it out...is he even eligible for our PS?

What's everyone's take on Green Bay Packers' defense?  With their GM Brian Gutekunst being in second year, he made aggressive moves during offseason to bolster their defensive team. 

I've not watched one minute of preseason, and have read almost nothing about the Packers, but will say this -- regardless of all the discussion of all the different position groups, the season hangs almost 100% on #12 staying healthy and returning to a pro-bowl level of play (I know he technically made the pro bowl last season.)  What are the odds that happens?  He's turning 36 this year, and has been injured most of the last two seasons (he played through injury most of last season.)  One year ago, the Packers gave him a four-year extension valued at $130+ mil with a $50+ mil signing bonus.

For me, it is criminally negligent not to have drafted or signed a quarterback with the upside capability to be Rodgers' successor at QB. That guy is not on the roster today, but should be. Most of us are old enough to remember Ron Wolf almost always having a capable back-up to Favre, even knowing he would never miss a game.  Detmer, Brooks, Hasslebeck, Pederson, Rodgers.  Backup QB is the biggest hole on this team right now, and is by far my biggest concern.

Backup QB is the biggest hole on this team right now, and is by far my biggest concern.
Not sure it should be.  Agree the back-up QB spot is less than ideal, but I'm not sure how much it matters.  If ARod goes down with another injury the team is in trouble either way.  Unlike when Wolf was around, the QB spot has become a top40 pick or pass on it altogether position.

Of more immediate concern to me is the lack of quality depth in the front 7.  Seems one injury away from some major question marks.  Maybe Pettite can hide issues more in year 2 of the scheme, but that's the unit I'm most concerned about.

Users who are viewing this thread