What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (1 Viewer)

So much for trading for Mack!  

$33M/year during his twilight years (age 37-40) is massive but it's still only 18% of the yearly cap space.  For the best QB in the league, I'll take it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm not quite following.  It's a 4 year extension worth $134m ($33m a year)....but that starts in 2020, and goes through 2023.  He's still playing out the next two years of his current deal, both years around $20m a year. 

How does this $80m by March come into play?  That's $60m more than he was going to get anyway, so that's got to come out of the $134m, taking it down to ~$74m to be paid out over those 4 years.....taking him to under $20m a year for those years. 

I guess I'm not quite following.  It's a 4 year extension worth $134m ($33m a year)....but that starts in 2020, and goes through 2023.  He's still playing out the next two years of his current deal, both years around $20m a year. 

How does this $80m by March come into play?  That's $60m more than he was going to get anyway, so that's got to come out of the $134m, taking it down to ~$74m to be paid out over those 4 years.....taking him to under $20m a year for those years. 
It depends how they structured it. $20M this year's salary + $60M signing bonus would be $80M by March.

Although I'm not sure why you would give a huge signing bonus if you were guaranteeing most of the contract - that makes it so you have to pay it now vs later and amortize over the next five years (immediately after paying it).  They'd be better keeping the cap hit to $20M the next two years and load up on some talent for a final run.

Non-Rodgers note ....

Seems like there's a very real chance that Cobb gets cut. Allison has flourished, they have Graham and Adams making big money, and used numerous draft picks on WRs they can develop ... and Rodgers makes the WRs, not the other way around ... why do they need Cobb for another year? He's not going to be on the team next year, anyway. Why not save $8M in cash and 9.6M in cap hit and dump him now?

Cobb has the 2nd highest cap hit of anyone on the team. That's not right.

Dump Cobb and Matthews and use that $20M this year to trade for Mack!

Non-Rodgers note ....

Seems like there's a very real chance that Cobb gets cut. Allison has flourished, they have Graham and Adams making big money, and used numerous draft picks on WRs they can develop ... and Rodgers makes the WRs, not the other way around ... why do they need Cobb for another year? He's not going to be on the team next year, anyway. Why not save $8M in cash and 9.6M in cap hit and dump him now?

Cobb has the 2nd highest cap hit of anyone on the team. That's not right.

Dump Cobb and Matthews and use that $20M this year to trade for Mack!
Cobb and Matthews will help them win a title this year.   And then next year they will be gone.

Cobb and Matthews will help them win a title this year.   And then next year they will be gone.
This.  I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see them cut one or both but I think Clay isn't going anywhere.  I could see them trading Cobb and getting some sort of return on him - but if they can't trade him I suspect they will keep him this season and get their money's worth.

Yeah I agree with this. They aren't in salary cap trouble for this year, so why cut Cobb? 

Are Clay and Cobb being over paid? certainly. But until it's a problem, don't mess with it. They serve a purpose. We are paying them more than they deserve for the roles they have, but that goes away next year. 

ETA: I could see them doing with Cobb what they did with Hawk previously- cut and resign. 

Too bad they don't reward Lombardi Trophies to the team with the highest paid player.  They still have to earn it. Now Aaron, go out and earn another, this year for starters.

But McCarthy was a believer in him...

Glad to see him go. Hope they got more than a conditional 7th for him. 

Word is they were offered something in the 5th-7th range for Huntley during the draft.  I'm guessing a conditional 6th (if Huntley is on the SEA roster next year).  Better than nothing if they were going to cut him anyway.

i'm shocked about them carrying Tim Doyle. He seems no threat at all to be poached by another team. And we have a lot invested in our immediate backup. Why carry him on the active roster?  Waste of a 53-man spot, imo.

He might just go to the 53-man but be one of the 10 inactive on game day (I think only ~43 are active on game day).

i'm shocked about them carrying Tim Doyle. He seems no threat at all to be poached by another team. And we have a lot invested in our immediate backup. Why carry him on the active roster?  Waste of a 53-man spot, imo.
I think they still feel the pain of losing Hill after they put him on the PS. He was clearly better than Hundley, they gambled and lost and it cost them the playoffs last year. They see a ton of potential in Boyle.

You locals hearing anything trustworthy about Cobb's ankles/feet/somethinglowerlegs begins so bad, there's relatively little interest from potential trade partners?

I think there is little interest in Cobb due to his salary, not because he is injured.  If Cobb gets traded, does Geronimo become the other starting wide receiver for sure?  Seems like there's so many of them. 

Anybody think Ty Montgomery gets back to playing WR?

To be fair, they would have won another SB if Bostick doesn't botch an onside kick recovery 
I will never get over this .. they were clearly the best team in the league that year. They went to SEA during the prime Legion of Boom years and were up two TDs with 2 minutes left in the game. They dominated the whole game.  Just unreal they didn't win that. So few injuries, dominant offense/defense. That was the 2nd SB year.

F***** Bostick.

Lot of WRs...but Davis may only be around until they pick up anyone else with return ability or Jones gets back.

They currently have more QBs than RBs. Expect them to make some more moves tomorrow. Will probably release a WR (or 2) then. 

I think a rb may be coming. I hope at least
That or Rip returning? Would they bring him back (I know they have kerridge on the practice squad). Depth and can block and run short yardage if there is an injury to Montgomery or Williams.  Also did special teams.

Though I suspect a back with possible return skills.

That or Rip returning? Would they bring him back (I know they have kerridge on the practice squad). Depth and can block and run short yardage if there is an injury to Montgomery or Williams.  Also did special teams.

Though I suspect a back with possible return skills.
I'm hoping they bring back Rip. I'd like to see Wadley TBH

You sure there’s a roster spot left?

Packers signed LB Korey Toomer.

A sixth-year veteran with 16 starts under his belt, Toomer gives the Packers' thin linebacking corps some experienced depth. CB Herb Waters was waived in a corresponding move

I has assumed Kumerow to IR got them to 53.  I’m just asking because I saw the pickup/cut swap.  I don’t know the correct answer.

Users who are viewing this thread