What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best 1980s Comedy (1 Viewer)

List Two

• Porky's

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Raizing Arizona

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Revenge of the Nerds

• Risky Business

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Spaceballs

• Stir Crazy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stripes

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • The Blues Brothers

• The Naked Gun

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • This Is Spinal Tap

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Tootsie

• Trading Places

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Vacation

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Weird Science

• Choice on list #1

Votes: 64 49.2%

• Total voters

PlasmaDogPlasma

Footballguy
The '80 get bashed a lot, but that's a hard line-up to beat.

I would have liked to throw a few others like Roger Rabbit on there, but I wasn't going to do more than 2 lists.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m a sucker for shticky comedy so went with Naked Gun.  Spaceballs would probably be my 2nd choice

Johnny Dangerously and Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure should be on here

Caddyshack is the obvious choice for me, but I celebrate the entire 80s comedy catalog. 

The 80s are the GOAT for action movies and really, really great for comedies. I didn't even grow up during the 80s so I don't think I'm brainwashed like people normally are for their youth. 

• Fast Times at Ridgemont High
  • Airplane
  • Coming to America
  • Vacation
  • The Naked Gun
  • Trading Places
  • 48 Hours
  • Beverly Hills Cop
  • Caddyshack
  • Raizing Arizona
  • Stripes
  • Back to the Future
  • Tootsie
  • Porky's
  • Mr. Mom
  • This Is Spinal Tap
  • Ghost Busters
  • Spaceballs
  • Stir Crazy
  • Police Acadamy
  • The Blues Brothers
  • Planes, Trains and Automobiles
  • Ferris Bueller's Day Off
  • Risky Business
  • Revenge of the Nerds
  • Weird Science
  • A Christmas Story
  • Better Off Dead
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

A quick order. Don't hold me to it. I didn't see the last 3 so they don't count.

Wow. What a great list of movies. I would second that Johnny Dangerously and A Fish Called Wanda should be on the list. 

But Fast Times wins out for me. Too many memories of seeing that at the midnight movies in the 80’s.

Need more John Hughes here.  Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink

Richard Donner did The Toy with Richard Prior and The Goonies.

Tom Hanks was in Big and The Bachelor Party (and several others).

Caddyshack is awful, people. There isn't a single laugh in that entire movie. It's just dumb. Have any of you watched it in the last twenty years? It doesn't hold up at all. 
Rodney and Ted Knight were genius in that movie. If you can't laugh at their schtick, you're probably dead inside.

Still, my vote went to This Is Spinal Tap.

I voted for Raising Arizona with runners-up of Airplane and Spinal Tap.

But no Midnight Run, History of the World Part I, Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, The Man with Two Brains, or my top choice, Roxanne?

Caddyshack is awful, people. There isn't a single laugh in that entire movie. It's just dumb. Have any of you watched it in the last twenty years? It doesn't hold up at all. 
I partially agree.  I think there were a lot of laughs, but there were tons of long, draggy, “drama” parts.  Doesn’t hold up well.  

Went with Better Off Dead.  No real losers with the exception of Police Academy.  It’s a freakin’ Guttenberg.

Too much. Too much ####### perspective, yeah.
:goodposting:

As a teen/college age guy in  the 80s, a ton of iconic 80s stuff on that list that resonates. Huge Raising Arizona fan, but Spinal Tap was/is brilliant lasting comedy- on a given day, a top 10goat for me.

I voted for Raising Arizona with runners-up of Airplane and Spinal Tap.

But no Midnight Run, History of the World Part I, Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, The Man with Two Brains, or my top choice, Roxanne?
Dr. Necessiter: As you know, my research has advanced to a point where I can put her mind into the body of a gorilla.

Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr: I couldn't #### a gorilla.

:lmao:

Caddyshack. Though I just watched Vacation on a flight Friday. Still hilarious. "that's nothing to be proud of.... fifty yards" 

Fletch, A Fish Called Wanda and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels are all glaring omissions. 

I think The Naked Gun is the funniest movie ever on the first watch, but Ferris Bueller and Caddyshack are funnier on multiple viewings. 

I don't really think of Back to the Future as a comedy per se (like The Breakfast Club, it's just as much of a drama as a comedy), but that's my favorite from this list.  

Edit: Uncle Buck should have been a choice as well. 

So many great movies listed in the polls and comments.  I went Better Off Dead, but it could easily be a dozen others depending on mood.  A crime to HAVE to pick just one.

Probably more related to when VCRs became available, but that 1978 to 1983 window seems to be the comedy golden era that I can't picture being topped. 

I wanted to go with a John Hughes (Uncle Buck's my favorite), because i HATED how many comedies of that time could either not keep plot or went for Big Ridiculous at the end (which was mostly due to the tootski habits of the filmmakers) and he really captured something but they're just not as memorably funny as they are memorable, so i picked Airplane just slightly over Spinal Tap.

I don't really think of Back to the Future as a comedy per se (like The Breakfast Club, it's just as much of a drama as a comedy), but that's my favorite from this list.  
Yeah, that's why I left off Breakfast Club and a couple others suggested. BttF definitely could have been left off for Wanda, Major League, Johhny Dangerously or Fletch.

Obviously should have sucked it up and made a 3rd list.

Yeah, that's why I left off Breakfast Club and a couple others suggested. BttF definitely could have been left off for Wanda, Major League, Johhny Dangerously or Fletch.

Obviously should have sucked it up and made a 3rd list.
Well, I guess I view a comedy as something that is, first and foremost, a comedy. 

Back to the Future is a sci-fi adventure film that just happens to be really funny. 

The Breakfast Club tows the line between comedy and drama, so it is hard to definitively say it is one or the other.

The Princess Bride is one of my favorites, but while hilarious, even that is one I would call a fantasy adventure film rather than an outright comedy. 

Users who are viewing this thread