What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My annual "please give me advice on the team I drafted" thread (1 Viewer)

jvdesigns2002

Footballguy
Hello all fantasy baseball veterans.  As a newbie to the fantasy baseball game--I did the same type of thread last season--and you guys really helped me out with your advice.  I didn't win my league last season, but the advice that you gave me allowed me to stay in the mix until later in the season when it became obvious that I was not going to end up with a top three team. I'm very confident that without your advice I would have been  in last place the entire way.  I'd like to ask for your help/advice on the team that I just drafted--and I thank you in advance.  My league is a 12 team with 2 starting catcher, 5 outfielder, 5x5 roto.   I did not know that realmuto was hurt--so I know I'll be scrambling to grab a catcher.  I did know that Bumgarner was hurt and drafted him where I thought he was a value--but looking at my roster--that may have been a big mistake.   Any advice on what types of moves that I should make *(types of players I should target via trade or free agents) would be greatly appreciated. 

Starting Offensive players: Austin Barnes, jt realmuto, joey votto, robinson cano, e. Suarez, trea turner, Maikel Franco, Ozzie albies, andrew benintendi, ryan braun, Manuel Margot, mallet smith, michael Taylor, jason Kipnis

bench offensive players:  Jose Martinez, Cesar hernandez, Addison russell, kevin pillar 

Starting pitchers:  Kluber, aaron nola, k Hendricks, k. Maeda, jordan montgomery, sean newcomb, ken Giles, hector neris, alex Claudio 

bench pitchers: Madison bumgarner,  chris devenski, jack flaherty, 

I like your team but the last 5-7 guys are all fringe players so I’d be churning those guys early and see what sticks. 

Feel free to fire off the top hitters and pitchers on ww or just keep an eye out yourself and be quick to pull the trigger. 

I like your team but the last 5-7 guys are all fringe players so I’d be churning those guys early and see what sticks. 

Feel free to fire off the top hitters and pitchers on ww or just keep an eye out yourself and be quick to pull the trigger. 
I really agree with your assessment.  In brutal honesty--as a newbie--I felt like my lack of drafting knowledge became more and more magnified towards the latter rounds.  I'm definitely not married to the concept of hanging onto any of those later players--so I will definitely be quick to pull the trigger if I see some players on the ww producing.   I really appreciate you taking the time to give me some advice.  

Looks a little light on power.

Be prepared to chase SVs
Thank you for taking the time and sharing your feedback.  It's funny you mentioned the light on power thing--as my original strategy was to focus on power early.  I had the sixth pick and my plan was to draft either Stanton, Arenado, or Kershaw in the first.  All three of them were gone by the time it got to me.  At that point--I decided I either wanted to go with either Harper (followed by a pitcher in the second) or Trea then followed by Judge in the second.  I went Turner ---and of course Judge gets taken right before my turn to pick in the second round. This is why I ended up going Kluber--and thus my power strategy got derailed. Looking back at things--taking Mad bum in the middle of the fifth was probably not the soundest of strategies for a novice because I wasn't good enough to draft perfectly from that point on.  I probably should have passed on mad bum and gotten a power bat.  I'm hoping I drafted enough talent to where maybe in a few weeks I can trade mad bum for a decent power bat plus a decent closer.  I feel like his value will go up as he gets closer to a return.  In any case--I appreciate the assessment.  

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your feedback.  It's funny you mentioned the light on power thing--as my original strategy was to focus on power early.  I had the sixth pick and my plan was to draft either Stanton, Arenado, or Kershaw in the first.  All three of them were gone by the time it got to me.  At that point--I decided I either wanted to go with either Harper (followed by a pitcher in the second) or Trea then followed by Judge in the second.  I went Turner ---and of course Judge gets taken right before my turn to pick in the second round. This is why I ended up going Kluber--and thus my power strategy got derailed. Looking back at things--taking Mad bum in the middle of the fifth was probably not the soundest of strategies for a novice because I wasn't good enough to draft perfectly from that point on.  I probably should have passed on mad bum and gotten a power bat.  I'm hoping I drafted enough talent to where maybe in a few weeks I can trade mad bum for a decent power bat plus a decent closer.  I feel like his value will go up as he gets closer to a return.  In any case--I appreciate the assessment.  
The good news is so many guys hit 20 HR these days that it's easier to find power in-season than it used to be.  The bad news is so many guys hit HRs that you need a lot of power to compete in the category.

One thing to consider is banking SB early and checking the standings for potential trading partners who needs help in this category.  Speed is a scarcer commodity than power and you may be able to swing a good deal mid season. 

You should be set on SB's and Eephus' strategy of monitoring that category and seeing where you can off load some steals for HR's is probably your best bet to a make a jump in the power category. 

I don't do roto style leagues so I don't have a lot of insight but just at first glance it seems like you have a lot of streamer type SP's and not too many set it and forget starters.  Work the waivers for SP's as I think you will need a lot of turnover at that position unless some of the unproven guys (Montgomery, Newcomb) really take a step up.  I also don't have a lot of confidence in Maeta.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread