What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reuben Foster - Redskins: Torn ACL. Damaged Artery. Career in peril? (1 Viewer)

BigSteelThrill

Footballguy
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923691/article/york-reuben-foster-knows-49ers-career-could-be-peril

Reuben Foster's tumultuous off-field history has spurred questions about whether his future with the San Francisco 49ers is in jeopardy.

Speaking at the Annual League Meeting in Orlando on Wednesday, 49ers owner Jed York said the team is prepared to potentially move on from the 2017 first-round draft pick, who was arrested in February on suspicion of domestic violence and weapon charges last month.

"We'd love Reuben to be on this team," York told NBC Sports Bay Area's Matt Maiocco. "And we'd love him to participate for us. But if he's not doing things off the field that allow us to be able to rely on him -- or he's doing something that we're not comfortable with off the field and it's proven that's what's going on -- I think the guys have said then you're just going to have to move on."

<more>

Last edited by a moderator:
Reuben Foster - LB -  49ers

49ers LB Reuben Foster was charged with felony domestic violence by the Santa Clara DA on Thursday.

The charge stems from an incident in February in which Foster was accused of dragging his live-in girlfriend during a dispute. In addition to the domestic violence charge, Foster is accused of forcefully attempting to prevent the reporting of a crime, possession of an assault weapon, and misdemeanor possession of a large capacity weapon magazine. According to the DA, he is facing more than 11 years in prison if convicted.

4 game suspension ought to be the least of his worries right now.  Anyone know anything about this DA’s history?  Is he a hardliner in domestic abuse/assault weapon cases (whatever an assault weapon is) or perhaps a grandstander/press hound?  

4 game suspension ought to be the least of his worries right now.  Anyone know anything about this DA’s history?  Is he a hardliner in domestic abuse/assault weapon cases (whatever an assault weapon is) or perhaps a grandstander/press hound?  
I think 6 games is the minimum for domestic abuse now for a first offense. 

Here is the DA news release.

Prosecutor Kevin Smith said: “Our focus is on holding accountable those who hurt their intimate partners. Our Office handles between four and five thousand domestic violence cases each year. We only hope that this case illuminates the tragic regularity of the rest.”

I think 6 games is the minimum for domestic abuse now for a first offense. 

Here is the DA news release.

Prosecutor Kevin Smith said: “Our focus is on holding accountable those who hurt their intimate partners. Our Office handles between four and five thousand domestic violence cases each year. We only hope that this case illuminates the tragic regularity of the rest.”

I’m talking about jail time.  Hence the first sentence in my response.  I don’t think the DA is going to hand out a suspension.  That last statement you posted by the DA makes me think he may try to make a statement himself, especially given the political climate right now.

Reuben Foster charged with felony domestic violence after allegedly rupturing girlfriend's ear drum (from punching her in head 8-10 times)

That looks like more then one year.

Sorry fellas but if in fact he is guilty of that, I hope he gets to watch the NFL on Sundays like me, only his will be in a smaller less comfortable place. These guys don’t deserve multiple chances and certainly don’t belong in the NFL. I know I am going all soap box, but I am just so sick of hearing about pro players in general getting chance after chance. When you know if it was an everyday guy, he’d be serving hard time the rest of his life. 

"A masterstroke"  :lol:

Remember the draft as this guy kept falling, and thinking the Packers would surely take him when he inexplicably dropped all the way to their pick at 29 - a seemingly perfect match of value and need. Utterly astounded when they then traded down from that pick, and outright livid when the 49ers then "stole" him at 31. "Expert" draft analysts instantly gave the 49ers an A when he was finally taken. Well...bullet dodged. Just goes to show there's a very good reason these guys fall as far as they do, and the NFL guys in charge of poking and prodding them have access to a lot more info than keyboard warriors.

Well this certainly changes my plans with him.  I thought he was a buy low, he might be a panic sell now.  If there's any truth to the ruptured eardrum/8-10 head punches then (1) His attorney is an idiot for not getting some kind of plea done and keeping that out of the papers (2) he's at real risk of being Ray Rice'd.  If any pictures, testimony, corroboration, victim testimony, or anything else surface publicly he's in deep ####.

Sorry fellas but if in fact he is guilty of that, I hope he gets to watch the NFL on Sundays like me, only his will be in a smaller less comfortable place. These guys don’t deserve multiple chances and certainly don’t belong in the NFL. I know I am going all soap box, but I am just so sick of hearing about pro players in general getting chance after chance. When you know if it was an everyday guy, he’d be serving hard time the rest of his life. 
Um, no.  Not to get all soapbox-y here, but this is holding these guys to a higher standard than everyone else and that's no more fair than giving them special treatment is and "the rest of his life" is particularly hyperbolised.  It depends on the nature of the case and evidence and his personal legal history, but there are plenty of cases where this turns into a no-jailtime situation.  I have been around victim advocacy and these things don't at all go the way the media sensationalizes they should.  A 21 year old kid with no violent history that shows true remorse might easily walk out with a misdemeanor or at minimum suspended sentence pending diversion/therapy/behavior.  I don't know if that fits Foster, like I said it's highly dependent upon the details, but this just isn't a fair statement to make at all.

I guess we shall see how it all shakes out. But my comment clearly states “if” he is guilty of (pounding a women’s head until shattering her eardrum), I truly hope he isn’t given “another shot”. You may be the kinda guy who is okay with that, I am not. 

That's not what I said, you can hold off from putting words in my mouth any time you want to.  I said that you grossly overestimate the punishment using life in prison as an appropriate punishment.

Very confused and confusing. He mentions Robert Saleh's 4-3 scheme, and then starts talking about the linebackers as if they're still playing in a 3-4:

The two biggest wildcards for the 49ers are Foster’s status, and the potential addition of one or more linebackers in the upcoming draft. If Foster returns, he is a lock for one inside linebacker spot, and a first-day draft selection would start at that player’s respective position — otherwise, the linebacker positions are up for grabs.

Given their current roster, the best case for the 49ers is an inside-linebacker duo of Foster and Toomer on early downs, and either Toomer or Smith pairing with Foster on passing downs.
 At any rate, it'll be interesting to see what the 49ers do in the draft. LB was already one of several primary needs even before the ever-thickening cloud of uncertainty around Foster. Roquan Smith is looking more and more likely at 1.09...and there's your fantasy IDP top pick if that happens.

Yeah, I noticed that... I chalked it up to every defense being multiple-front, and perhaps the author considering a 4-3 SLB as an ILB... which is weird.

Hankmoody said:
That's not what I said, you can hold off from putting words in my mouth any time you want to.  I said that you grossly overestimate the punishment using life in prison as an appropriate punishment.
You are right, this definitely will not get him life in prison, honestly was not meaning it that but more like what would have been his football life. If he’s found guilty in the worst case he won’t serve more than 5-7 if he behaves most likely. It really just depends on how much he really did, but if guilty I hope it’s the fullest extent of the law. 

Oh he could definitely lose his career, I'll buy that.  He could easily do real time too.  And I have no problem with that if these allegations turn out to be accurate. 

The NFL isn't tolerating domestic violence.  He's going to be out for a whole year at least.  He'll have to do anger management classes and then apply for reinstatement and prove to Goodell that he's turned his life around. 

GM John Lynchs quote...

“The gravity of these charges has not been lost on us,” Lynch said, via Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area. “We take it extremely seriously. We do feel like patience is the right approach right now. We’re gonna learn things through this legal process. I do want to be abundantly clear that if these charges are proven true, if Reuben did indeed hit this young lady, he will not be part of this organization going forward.”

The 49ers subsquently announced that Foster will not participate in team activities.

Toomer, Coyle, perhaps a draft pick? Probably worth a speculative add on both of them if roster space is available. Maybe drop them if the 49ers select a top notch LB in the draft. Dump Foster for anything you can get b/c he is clearly not smart enough to keep himself in the league making bank.

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/woman-reuben-foster-case-recants-domestic-violence-claim

The former girlfriend of 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster on Monday said she can prove Foster did not cause her injuries from an alleged February incident in Los Gatos.

Elissa Ennis, the former girlfriend, released a statement through her attorney, Stephanie Rickard, in which she said her injuries were caused in a fight that did not involve Foster.

“(Foster) did not strike her, injure her or threaten her,” Rickard said in the statement provided first to NBC Sports Bay Area.

Ennis’ injuries were the result of a physical fight with another woman, and that Foster tried to end his relationship with Ennis after he learned of the fight, Rickard said.

There is a video of that fight with another woman, according to Rickard.

“She was extremely upset and told him if he broke up with her she would ‘trash his career,’ ” Rickard said.
Figured this may be of some interest to the IDP crowd. 

Well she hired an attorney, so that's either to handle her payout or handle her perjury charges.  Not sure I'm buying it, she allegedly suffered a ruptured eardrum.  If there's video of a fight that's violent enough to pass the sniff test vs. the nature of her injuries and/or any witness to her comments about wrecking his career she's smart to get in front of it now.  I'm absolutely 100% for victims' rights but man I'm about 150% for crushing anyone that makes false accusations.  Not only do they potentially harm the falsely accused (this dude stands to lose millions, not to mention the only activity he has built his entire sense of self identity around) but they severely compromise future legitimate victims of abuse. 

Hankmoody said:
Well she hired an attorney, so that's either to handle her payout or handle her perjury charges.  Not sure I'm buying it, she allegedly suffered a ruptured eardrum.  If there's video of a fight that's violent enough to pass the sniff test vs. the nature of her injuries and/or any witness to her comments about wrecking his career she's smart to get in front of it now.  I'm absolutely 100% for victims' rights but man I'm about 150% for crushing anyone that makes false accusations.  Not only do they potentially harm the falsely accused (this dude stands to lose millions, not to mention the only activity he has built his entire sense of self identity around) but they severely compromise future legitimate victims of abuse. 

Well, now we’ve got the problem of figuring out what the truth is.  I find it difficult to believe that she’d just randomly make the initial accusation out of the blue for what purpose exactly, especially given the physical damage that was done to her compiled with Foster’s past - not knowing what it would likely cost Foster.  I find it more credible that Foster realized that he had just ended his NFL career and instead elected to become her meal ticket to get her to recant.  

But that is nothing more than pure speculation. Given how exact forensics is, I’m guessing that there is some kind of evidence that either supports or condemns her initial accusation that none of us are aware of, but the authorities are.  If so, I’m guessing that the DA would move forward regardless of this latest development if they have something damning beyond her accusation.

Well, now we’ve got the problem of figuring out what the truth is.  I find it difficult to believe that she’d just randomly make the initial accusation out of the blue for what purpose exactly, especially given the physical damage that was done to her compiled with Foster’s past - not knowing what it would likely cost Foster.  I find it more credible that Foster realized that he had just ended his NFL career and instead elected to become her meal ticket to get her to recant.  

But that is nothing more than pure speculation. Given how exact forensics is, I’m guessing that there is some kind of evidence that either supports or condemns her initial accusation that none of us are aware of, but the authorities are.  If so, I’m guessing that the DA would move forward regardless of this latest development if they have something damning beyond her accusation.
Virtually no chance of that.  If the victim gets on the stand and says "he didn't do it" there's no way to get 12 people to all set aside reasonable doubt.  Video evidence is just about the only way that happens.  I wonder if a bench trial is an option - that might scare me off.

He was already her meal ticket and he dumped her.  It's entirely plausible she got vindictive over that.  It's also entirely plausible, and probably most likely, that it's somewhere in between - maybe he did handle her roughly, she got pissed, and went to the cops.  Maybe she got physical with him, he responded/defended himself, and the same resulted.  Gareon Conly faced a completely random false accusation on draft day last year, cost him millions dropping to 24 from a projected top 10-ish.  It happens, some women are truly nuts, some make bad lapses in judgement, and some are just truly despicable human beings.

Me, I follow the money in cases like this when figuring out what to do.  Above all it's a business and the 9ers have a ton of resources - they probably already know more about the truth here than the DA does.  Maybe that's why Lynch worded it the way he did - "if these charges are proven true" - because he already knows they won't.  He's a hold for me and if someone is dumping I'll roll the dice if all they cost me is a taxi spot.

Virtually no chance of that.  If the victim gets on the stand and says "he didn't do it" there's no way to get 12 people to all set aside reasonable doubt.  Video evidence is just about the only way that happens.  I wonder if a bench trial is an option - that might scare me off.

I’ll have to disagree.  You said follow the money.  If there is physical evidence supporting her initial accusation, don’t think that there won’t be subpeonas for bank records of both of them, and I’m guessing she wouldn’t be dumb enough to recant without actually having the money given to her beforehand.

You may be right, but a DA could easily get past her recanting - she is easy to discredit on the stand by both sides right now.  But the physical evidence - if it exists - of both her and him, could very well get the DA a conviction, or at least leverage for a plea agreement.  But if there is evidence of a payoff, this transcends just the abuse claim, as bad as that is, and moves on to witness tampering, filing false claims, and potentially perjury.

But again, none of us know right now.  It should be interesting to see how this progresses, but I don’t see how this does anything but make Foster an already higher risk than he already was for FFers, which is saying something in and of itself.

Ultimately, this is a player that shows all the markings of a short stay in the NFL. Sell him if you can, especially now that the news could mean he sticks around this year. He is clearly a terrible decision maker that can't avoid trouble and has people around him that can't avoid trouble. 

I'm no lawyer, but pretty sure this is something the defense has to agree to.  Constitutional right to trial by a jury of one's peers, and all.  No reason for Foster to go that route.

Goodell is the worry and how many times Foster appeals if given a suspension.

No, Foster is the worry.  Goodell didn’t put Foster in this situation and the NFL doesn’t carry the legal system’s requirement of proof beyond a reasonable doubt or the technicalities that allow a criminal to walk away freely, but they do run very thorough investigations of their own.

No, Foster is the worry.  Goodell didn’t put Foster in this situation and the NFL doesn’t carry the legal system’s requirement of proof beyond a reasonable doubt or the technicalities that allow a criminal to walk away freely, but they do run very thorough investigations of their own.
There is supposedly a video showing the woman with the busted eardrum in a fight with another female. This has all the markings of another suspension without proof.

There is supposedly a video showing the woman with the busted eardrum in a fight with another female. This has all the markings of another suspension without proof.

Alleged by Foster’s attorney that it exists and has been in the hands of the DA - and yet the DA is moving forward with the case despite that.  Maybe the DA is under orders from Goodell, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread