What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roseanne Barr tweets racist comment; her show is canceled (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
Caveat- I was never a fan. The wife was, but I thought the show was stupid (like most sitcoms) and I was never a fan of her either. I was slightly amused by her rendition of the National Anthem, particularly because of the outrage from overly pious people (a lot of the same types that claim to love her now.) During the years between her show and now, she showed up once in a while to make a new outrageous statement only to disappear into obscurity again. Which was fine with me. 

So now she reappears with a second version of her show, and a new gimmick: being a Trump fan- and suddenly I’m seeing article after article where Roseanne is “representative of the new America!” She gets a ton of ratings and praise from Trump and Trump Jr. 

I’m tired of this decade already. How soon until the next one? 

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/03/28/roseanne-revival-is-a-wake-up-call-for-hollywood/amp/

John Podhoretz- the Roseanne revival is a wake up call for America. 

This is the same message we’ve been hearing since 2016- we need to pay attention to the white working class in the heartland. But I’ve never understood what this means, exactly. Are we all supposed to become anti-free trade? Nativist? Anti-immigrant? Screw that. 

Meanwhile Trump is gloating about Roseanne’s ratings. 

Roseanne Barr is a tv reality star who ran for president under an extremist platform, I seriously doubt anyone like that will have a political impact.
I had forgotten that she ran for President. 

In any case, her high ratings from the other night are being touted by Trump supporters as proof that they still dominate the Midwest (where the show did very well). 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/03/28/roseanne-revival-is-a-wake-up-call-for-hollywood/amp/

John Podhoretz- the Roseanne revival is a wake up call for America. 

This is the same message we’ve been hearing since 2016- we need to pay attention to the white working class in the heartland. But I’ve never understood what this means, exactly. Are we all supposed to become anti-free trade? Nativist? Anti-immigrant? Screw that. 

Meanwhile Trump is gloating about Roseanne’s ratings. 
Meh, it was curiosity/nostalgia from those who watched her 30 years ago.  Personally, I love how Podhoretz stresses that the show "blew away" Will & Grace by 3 million viewers, but fails to notice that it had 4 million less viewers than the Stormy Daniels 60 Minutes interview.  Maybe Trump should gloat about that.

Maybe turn the outrage meter down a few notches Tim.
Moi? 

I’m not outraged. I’m annoyed. And not even so much at Roseanne herself. I don’t like her, but I suspect this is a highly successful attempt to self-promote. 

I’m annoyed at these political pundits rushing into print and TV to lecture us on how this is yet again proof that we shouldn’t ignore “the heartland”. 

Moi? 

I’m not outraged. I’m annoyed. And not even so much at Roseanne herself. I don’t like her, but I suspect this is a highly successful attempt to self-promote. 

I’m annoyed at these political pundits rushing into print and TV to lecture us on how this is yet again proof that we shouldn’t ignore “the heartland”. 
OK, how about cutting back on the political punditry then?

Roseanne was always pretty loved. That’s how her show ran for nine seasons. It was groundbreaking and pretty incredible.  Of course, the main character was a working class woman who was a die-hard Democrat and hated Republican policies.  But Roseanne Barr always hated Hillary Clinton with a passion.  And she’s always been fairly crazy.  Not really a surprise she voted Trump.  Somewhat of a surprise she’s gone quite as crazy as she has.  

I grew up watching Roseanne.  My family really enjoyed it back then.  My parents have always been more aligned in the middle politically, slightly to the left.  I though about watching the show again just for nostalgia, nothing to do with political belief.  I still can't stand Trump.

Never a fan of fat slovenly woman has contempt for life shtick.  Never found her remotely amusing and feel the same for  Melissa McCarthy, this generations Roseanne Barr.

I am disturbed that the President of the United States spends any time with his attention on her.

Me. I cannot take her even in limited doses in the commercials for her show.  When one comes on, my hands, of their own volition it seems, automatically change the channel.  I like that about my hands.

Didn't Trump and Roseanne have some notorious Twitter feud? And now she loves him, and her re-booted show is coming out, which happens to be a show that fits Trump's demographic perfectly? What a coincidence.

Her show was always about white trash, not some model family to look up to. So of course that white trash fsmily is going to be pro trump in the show. She is smart enough to know that will resonate with a base of people who have not cut the cord streaming media and watch primarily network tv, which are not surprisingly also trump fans.

good for her. If people like the show it will stay on, if not it will be off the air. Like every other show. :shrug:

Original show was funny and was indeed original. I’ll pass on the new episodes-not because of the Trump stuff- but because these reunions are never good.

That's weird. Pretty sure there's a psychological term for that. I was going to say it's masochist, but I'm not sure if your joy is sexual. 
If people didn't enjoy discussing things that they like and dislike then forums would not exist.  I can't imagine you've never discussed things that bother you on here.

I watched the first two episodes. It was a lot of back and forth between Roseanne and Jackie - fighting about politics. Jackie hates Trump.

It was fine. I didn't think it was particularly funny, but it was in character that Roseanne would vote for Trump.

Never a fan of fat slovenly woman has contempt for life shtick.  Never found her remotely amusing and feel the same for  Melissa McCarthy, this generations Roseanne Barr.

I am disturbed that the President of the United States spends any time with his attention on her.

Me. I cannot take her even in limited doses in the commercials for her show.  When one comes on my hands, of their own volition it seems, automatically change the channel.  I like that about my hands.
I’m back and forth on Roseanne Conner (the character) but I’d watch John Goodman in just about anything. 

I watched the first two episodes. It was a lot of back and forth between Roseanne and Jackie - fighting about politics. Jackie hates Trump.

It was fine. I didn't think it was particularly funny, but it was in character that Roseanne would vote for Trump.
I’m not sure I agree.  It’s in direct opposition to at least one seminal episode in the series - if for no other reason than Roseanne explicitly opposed Republican policies and, in particular, corporate tax incentives.  

I’m not sure I agree.  It’s in direct opposition to at least one seminal episode in the series - if for no other reason than Roseanne explicitly opposed Republican policies and, in particular, corporate tax incentives.  
Maybe you are right. But it seems like his populist, nativist rhetoric worked with people in Roseanne's economic status. 

Her show was always about white trash, not some model family to look up to. So of course that white trash fsmily is going to be pro trump in the show. She is smart enough to know that will resonate with a base of people who have not cut the cord streaming media and watch primarily network tv, which are not surprisingly also trump fans.

good for her. If people like the show it will stay on, if not it will be off the air. Like every other show. :shrug:
Let's be clear - there's was nothing good to say about American govt when Trump came along. Obama had wasted a huge legacy & 8 years without reversing a single portion of Dubya's travesties and did no more than slop the cold porridge of ACA in our healthcare bowls and Congress has done nothing but profiteer since 9/11. The people most upset about Trump are largely as pathetic as those who elected President Drunkuncle. Wont watch the show because i wasnt a fan the 1st timne, but if Roseanne wants to explore what made this all possible, more power to her. It's not like we're delaying The Answer by attempting to understand how we got the President that America deserves.

Let's be clear - there's was nothing good to say about American govt when Trump came along. Obama had wasted a huge legacy & 8 years without reversing a single portion of Dubya's travesties and did no more than slop the cold porridge of ACA in our healthcare bowls and Congress has done nothing but profiteer since 9/11. The people most upset about Trump are largely as pathetic as those who elected President Drunkuncle. Wont watch the show because i wasnt a fan the 1st timne, but if Roseanne wants to explore what made this all possible, more power to her. It's not like we're delaying The Answer by attempting to understand how we got the President that America deserves.
He might not have changed any of the things you wanted changed, but that doesn't mean he didn't reverse anything terrible from Bush. 

He might not have changed any of the things you wanted changed, but that doesn't mean he didn't reverse anything terrible from Bush. 
Didnt argue it then, wont argue it now - far as i could see, the foxes were running more henhouses when he left than when he came. An eloquent excuse factory for greater proliferance of corruption & fecklessness was and is my assessment of the Obama White House.

To be fair, they're not white trash.  They're a moderately realistic representation of a huge swath of working class America.  

Didnt argue it then, wont argue it now - far as i could see, the foxes were running more henhouses when he left than when he came. An eloquent excuse factory for greater proliferance of corruption & fecklessness was and is my assessment of the Obama White House.
These kinds of statements come off better without any made-up words.

Users who are viewing this thread