What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Dallas Goedert, PHI (3 Viewers)

Thoughts on Goedert as a pickup for this year and beyond (dynasty league)?

For this year, the Eagles receiving options are poor, but definitely have to consider that Ertz is still the primary TE (when they're not running 2 TE sets) and will still get lots of looks.

Beyond this year, Ertz is signed through 2021, so it may be awhile before Goedert is the primary guy. 

Interested in hearing other thoughts...

Not a FAAB league, so I have third pick based on standings. Robinson and Hines go first, so it's either him or Malcolm Brown.
He was on waivers in dynasty? Definitely worth an add as Philly runs a lot of two TE sets and he should be the future there.

For this year, the Eagles receiving options are poor, but definitely have to consider that Ertz is still the primary TE (when they're not running 2 TE sets) and will still get lots of looks.

Beyond this year, Ertz is signed through 2021, so it may be awhile before Goedert is the primary guy. 

Since week 6 of last year Goedert has averaged.

7 targets a game putting up 5-55-.43

That prorates out to 80-880-7 in 16 games and would have made him TE5 last year in ppr.

During that same time frame Ertz has averaged 

8.8 targets a game putting up 6-60-.50 in 16 games that prorates out to 96-960-8 TE3 in ppr I think. 

It's still Ertz #1 option Goedert #2 option until proven otherwise but there is a pretty solid 4 game trend going on including the playoff game that paints a possible changing of the guard. It's too early to be sure still but it is interesting. 

Over the last 4 games played. 

Goedert 10 targets a game averaging 7- 83 -.5

Ertz 7 targets a game averaging 3.5 - 38 - .5

Would you trade Goedert for Ertz? The idea is that Ertz is more proven, but with a slightly higher injury risk.

I'm rewatching the game and there's one thing I noticed right now that gave me pause on Goedert. Philly just got Wentz sacked 8 times and they lost the game. On the Ertz TD they had Goedert go in motion and then stay back to block. Goedert is one of the best blocking TE in football. Ertz is ok but nothing like Goedert in that department. The Eagles might make an adjustment and keep Goedert back to block more moving forward. We'll have to watch closely next week. 

I'm rewatching the game and there's one thing I noticed right now that gave me pause on Goedert. Philly just got Wentz sacked 8 times and they lost the game. On the Ertz TD they had Goedert go in motion and then stay back to block. Goedert is one of the best blocking TE in football. Ertz is ok but nothing like Goedert in that department. The Eagles might make an adjustment and keep Goedert back to block more moving forward. We'll have to watch closely next week. 
That's a pretty good observation.

Means absolutely nothing, but I've always found it interesting that Goedert went to South Dakota State, while Wentz went to North Dakota State. Surprised Carson is willing to throw him the ball.

Starting to really like this new open-minded, modest Milkman!

Means absolutely nothing, but I've always found it interesting that Goedert went to South Dakota State, while Wentz went to North Dakota State. Surprised Carson is willing to throw him the ball.
I think it had the opposite affect.  The Dakota boys stick together.

Stop that, Debbie Downer!  I need him THIS week!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the OL issues are being overblown a bit. Lane Johnson will be back, and its entirely possible Washington has the best DL in the NFL. 

I'm reminded slightly of last year when people were really low on Tampa's offense after they laid an egg week 1 against SF. Then it turned out SF made most offenses look bad. I think its possible Washington may do the same defensively.

travdogg said:
I think the OL issues are being overblown a bit. Lane Johnson will be back, and its entirely possible Washington has the best DL in the NFL. 

I'm reminded slightly of last year when people were really low on Tampa's offense after they laid an egg week 1 against SF. Then it turned out SF made most offenses look bad. I think its possible Washington may do the same defensively.
Agreed

WFT's DL is damn scary that gonna wreck havoc especially on their divisional foes.  Eagles were the first to suffer that fate.  Giants and Cowboys should be very afraid... Not because of WFT's formidable DL but they got their OL issue to deal with.  Cowboys got bullied by Aaron Donald during SNF (Eagles are next on Donald's list coming up this weekend) and so did Steelers on Giants on MNF. 

Not trying to be rude....but is this a six team dynasty? Dynasty leaguers have been all over Dallas G. since day one. he's NEVER been on the wire in ANY of my leagues, and it would take a first minimum to even start a conversation on him even in my league where TEs are lumped with WRs.

ETA; Saw your later clarification, but still very surprised he would be on any wire. Even in my short bench redraft he was drafted. 

Dallas Goedert’s improvement could come at Zach Ertz’s expense

Dallas Goedert had arguably the best game of his career. Zach Ertz uncharacteristically dropped what could have been a key fourth-down completion.

It was difficult not to juxtapose the performances of the Eagles' top two tight ends in Sunday’s disappointing 27-17 loss at Washington. Goedert will have weeks when he isn’t as productive, and Ertz will have far more when he’s sure-handed.

But could the season opener be a harbinger of an ascending young player and a veteran trending in opposite directions? Goedert, who steadily improved in his first two seasons, could be poised for a breakout season.

“One positive observation after watching the Eagles' ugly offensive performance,” NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah wrote on Twitter Monday, “Dallas Goedert looks like an all-pro.”

Ertz, miscue aside, has shown little sign of slowing down. But his potential reduction could come as a result of Goedert’s improvement. The Eagles utilize their two tight end package – 12 personnel – more than any NFL team, but clearly one’s involvement will affect the other.

And in terms of the long term, how this season plays out could influence the team’s willingness to keep both. Ertz’s frustration with his contract situation has already spilled over into full view. Negotiations were tabled weeks ago, and just last week the 29-year old questioned whether the Eagles were committed beyond his current deal.

“I said all along I want to be here for the long run,” said Ertz, who has two years remaining on the five-year extension he signed in 2016. “I don’t know for sure if that feeling is mutual.”

Extending Ertz, under most circumstances, would be a no-brainer. He’s a homegrown talent who has reached a perennial Pro Bowl level, was instrumental in the Eagles winning their first Super Bowl, and does everything right on and off the field when it comes to preparation.

But most teams don’t have two franchise-caliber tight ends. If there is an impasse between the front office and Ertz – and the feeling here is that it may be overblown – it doesn’t have as much to do with him as it does Goedert.

“I don’t want to really get into contract deals. Obviously, I have no part of that,” Goedert said Sunday in Landover, Md. "But he feels passionate that he deserves to get paid. He’s been here for eight years or whatever, and he’s played really good football all eight years.

“I don’t think he was throwing any shots at the organization or anything. I think it was just a little bit of his emotions.”

Ertz said last week that his contract situation wouldn’t be an in-season distraction. There was an NFL Network report Sunday that he had a heated conversation with general manager Howie Roseman following a recent practice. “Passionate” was the description used by Inquirer sources close to the situation. Nevertheless, contract talks are never easy.

“Obviously, Zach’s frustrated about that,” Eagles center Jason Kelce said. “But he’s been a great teammate and he’s not letting it affect his ability to play, his ability to be a leader.”

Curiously, Ertz wasn’t among the eight players chosen by coach Doug Pederson to be a team captain. Quarterback Carson Wentz, tackle Jason Peters and Kelce were the three chosen to represent the offense. On the surface, Ertz would seem worthy of the title in his eighth season.

Few in the locker room forget that he played in the playoffs after lacerating his kidney in the penultimate game of last season. Ertz’s injury, in some respects, opened the door for Goedert to make his greatest contributions in his first two seasons.

But Goedert had already started making inroads as a receiver. And in his last seven games dating back to last season – including Sunday’s eight catches for a career-high 101 yards and a touchdown – he has caught 42 passes for 492 yards (11.7 yards per) and two touchdowns.

Ertz was productive in the second half of last season before he went down. He caught 47 passes for 464 yards (9.9 yards per) and five touchdowns in the six games before his injuries. (He also fractured ribs.)

It’s not like the two can’t coexist. Ertz played in 58 of 68 snaps Sunday, Goedert 54. And Ertz was targeted seven times – he caught three passes for 17 yards and a touchdown – while Goedert saw nine passes his way, his lone miss also a drop.

Still, it will be interesting to see how playing time and targets will be divided as the season progresses.

“I think me and Zach have a good relationship,” Goedert said. “I’m not going to blame him for taking my catches. I don’t think he’s going to blame me for taking his catches. We help each other out a lot on the field, and I think our relationship is great.”

Reminds me of the Ladarius Green and Antonio Gates situation years ago. Except Ertz isn't quite as good as Gates and Goedert is better than Green. 

Just watched the Eagles game.   Good Lord, Goedert looked like a world beater out there Sunday. 

He's very Gronk like. Elite athlete with good/great hands. Tremendous blocker. He might be the best blocker in football. 

Ertz says hi this week. :popcorn:

(not an owner of either)
Could easily see this happening. He should have had a 2nd TD last week but Wentz missed him plus ertz and Wentz are good friends. Double digit targets incoming. 

At this point though does that mean Goedert has a bad game? There seems to be enough of a sample showing they both can coexist. The other receiving options don't seem good enough to pull targets away from Goedert. 

(not an owner of either)

Could easily see this happening. He should have had a 2nd TD last week but Wentz missed him plus ertz and Wentz are good friends. Double digit targets incoming. 

At this point though does that mean Goedert has a bad game? There seems to be enough of a sample showing they both can coexist. The other receiving options don't seem good enough to pull targets away from Goedert. 
Of course Ertz is always in play as long as both are in Philly.  That's not really a doubt.  I do believe Goedert has more long term value however.

To get a data point on value current value after week 1, I was just offered in a .5 PPR (slight TE scoring bump) dynasty league where I'm short on a TE:

I give: Thielen, Moss, Herndon
I get: Parker, Peterson, Goedart

(not an owner of either)
This is a tough one. I actually have to choose between starting either of them in my flex spot (Andrews is my te). My gut feel is ertz bounces back. But even fbg has geodert ranked higher than ertz this week. Feels weird to bench ertz for him tho. 

Things move fast when Ertz is even a consideration for fantasy benches absent an injury.
Yeah, some of these posts should be in the knee jerk thread.  If you have both Ertz  and Goedert you're going to pick wrong sometimes.  It's the nature of the beast when you have two TEs as talented as they are.  I do believe Ertz is not quite as good as he once was however, but that doesn't change what I just said......at least not right now it doesn't.

Given the way 2020 has gone so far, not going to be surprised if this guy claims he hit Goedert because he wasn't wearing a face mask. 
If that happens you can rest assured the guy had a cheap public defender, because that will go over like a lead balloon in front of a judge or jury,

Things move fast when Ertz is even a consideration for fantasy benches absent an injury.
He generally isn't and should be though. The posted example is an outlier where he can only start 2 and has 3 studs.

Suspect Ertz will still outscore Dallas on the year, but not by  a whole lot...and both settle into that TE5-7 area. Could see Goedert being used to block more often in the 2TE sets. 

Dynasty wise, I wouldn't blink at someone putting Goedert into the top 3-4 and ahead of Ertz

On the news of Michael Thomas's HAS, I offered emmanuel sanders and Evan Engram for Goedert. Dude insta-accepted (he has Thomas and Golladay, so he was hurting). I regretted not drafting him, and I overpaid to get him, but I wanted him. Week 1 just justified my feeling about him. 

On the news of Michael Thomas's HAS, I offered emmanuel sanders and Evan Engram for Goedert. Dude insta-accepted (he has Thomas and Golladay, so he was hurting). I regretted not drafting him, and I overpaid to get him, but I wanted him. Week 1 just justified my feeling about him. 
I traded Engram and Latavius Murray to the Goedert owner. Seems Engram can push the needle for some.

He had Mark Andrews and Kamara, so Goedert and Engram are bye week/backups anyways.

But I’m excited to have Goedert on my squad and also missed him in the draft. 

You didn't overpay at all. Engram and Sanders are waiver wire fodder.

Goedert may end up being a one-week wonder, but Sanders is washed up and Engram is replaceable.

You didn't overpay at all. Engram and Sanders are waiver wire fodder.

Goedert may end up being a one-week wonder, but Sanders is washed up and Engram is replaceable.
It is redraft, but you should have seen the reaction in my league chat. "Trade rape" was thrown around by several people. 

Dallas Goedert caught 4-of-8 targets for 30 yards in the Eagles' Week 2 loss to the Rams. 

Goedert out-targeted Zach Ertz for the second straight game, though Ertz outproduced him this time. Goedert's 17 looks through two games is gangbusters usage for a tight end. Even with the Eagles' offense looking out of sync, Goedert will offer plenty of upside as a low-end TE1 for Week 3's plus matchup with the Bengals.

- Rotoworld

Wentz didn't see him wide open in the endzone once. If he hits him with that it would have been a 15 yard TD and saved his day. 

Still the trend continues. Goedert 8 targets. Ertz 7 targets. 

the bigger question is what happened to Wentz?  He looked to be top qb a couple years back and now looks lost.
I've never been a fan. I went into the Eagles team thread and suggested the team would replace Wentz with Hurts sooner than anybody thinks. That wasn't received well. Going to Hurts would kill Goedert's value. 

Users who are viewing this thread