What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Dallas Goedert, PHI (1 Viewer)

He's hurt by Ertz but I think he will still hold value in the short term.  The Eagles look like they'll use  2-TE often, especially in the red zone.  I can see 6 TDs for Goedert this year.  Trey Burton had 248/5 last year.  Goedert's strength is the intermediate and deep routes so I'd expect more yards with at least the same number of TDs.

I love his talent but I just don't see that unless Ertz misses a significant amount of time. 
Again, it was just one game but as a blocker he looked a LOT better than Burton or Ertz when they were rookies here.  If he continues to grow in that area he's going to force his way onto the field.

Again, it was just one game but as a blocker he looked a LOT better than Burton or Ertz when they were rookies here.  If he continues to grow in that area he's going to force his way onto the field.
Unfortunately you don't get fantasy football points for blocking. It might hurt him being a good blocker like it hurts OJ Howard. 

Unfortunately you don't get fantasy football points for blocking. It might hurt him being a good blocker like it hurts OJ Howard. 
True, you don't get points but you do get more field time. That's pretty much what I was getting at.  We don't force feed anyone and him being on the field as a 4th or 5th option could lend itself to some big weeks earlier than expected.  I agree with your overall assessment that with Ertz there it really hurts his value though, especially over the next couple years.

From Highlights and Insights From Thursday’s NFL Week 1 Preseason Games

How much fun is Dallas Goedert going to be in this offense? The rookie caught four balls for 66 yards and a touchdown in the preseason opener. Doug Pederson talked about the pressure to replace someone as versatile as Trey Burton when in reality, you don’t. Goedert changes the parameters of Philadelphia’s offense, especially when he gets into the open field against linebackers in coverage. Watch his 26-yard catch against the Steelers and see the subtle way he influences two separate zone defenders to think he’s going in opposite directions. If he’s already there, what else can Pederson do with him? — CO

Bigboy10182000 said:
True, you don't get points but you do get more field time. That's pretty much what I was getting at.  We don't force feed anyone and him being on the field as a 4th or 5th option could lend itself to some big weeks earlier than expected.  I agree with your overall assessment that with Ertz there it really hurts his value though, especially over the next couple years.
If I get the chance, I think I'm still going Goedert over Gesicki & Hurst if all are available at my pick. Talent always wins out.

Last edited by a moderator:
NeverEnough said:
3 years is a long time. A lot can happen in 3 years...
It's actually 4 years. Ertz contract runs through next 4 seasons, the entire length of Goedert's rookie contract so unless they cut or trade one of them they are together for 4 more years.  Ertz base salary in 2021 will be a modest $8M, even at 31 years old that will likely look like a bargain in 4 years if he's anything close to the player he is now.

But as you said a lot of things can happen but getting past trying to predict the unpredictable you got to ask yourself if you think the Eagles would use a second round pick on a player with designs that he'll be a backup/redzone option the entire course of his rookie deal? Even on a team with no massive needs I just don't think so myself.

There are some attractive dual TE situations in the league right now but off top of my head only team I can recall having two attractive fantasy starting TE options on the same team was NE. Colts with Allen/Fleener are only team to have two TE's have 8 or more TD's in a year and both of them finished in top 15 in most formats but I mean more in line of top 10 TE's when I reference attractive starting TE's.  I actually feel fairly strongly that Ertz and Goedert will be the next TE duo to have two from same team in top 10,  not in 2018, but eventually. This is a good coaching staff and they'll figure out a way to maximize what they have.

Roob's 10 observations from Eagles-Steelers preseason game

Excerpt:

With 26- and 19-yard catches over the middle and a 15-yard catch and run for a touchdown, you guys all saw why I’ve been raving about Dallas Goedert all summer. He doesn’t carry himself like a rookie, and he doesn’t practice like a rookie, and he doesn’t play like a rookie. The drop was unfortunate, but it was also the first I’ve ever seen from Goedert, and he gets a Mulligan for a bad drop in his first pro game. The rookie tight end finished with four catches for 66 yards and a TD in his NFL debut despite playing only the first half. I like the way he runs routes, I like the way he secures the ball, I like the way he puts his head down and fights for extra yards, I like the way he blocks, I like everything about his game. I’ll keep saying this — Goedert is going to be a stud. Not next year, not sometime in the future. Now.

I also understand that Ertz is there but it’s not out of the question (yet anyway) that he just ends up better than Ertz after a year or two. The talent is there with him. 

I don't understand this type of thinking.  OJ howard isn't hurt by being on the field more than other TE's.... Gronk is on the field a ton for blocking and nobody mentions that as a negative for him.  He's on the field with chances to make plays, and he's a dynamic receiver why wouldn't you want that? 

An offense calls a play with many different variables.  One of those variables is the ability to "check" to a different play or "shift" someone into a pass protector.  If they don't check/shift then that person has opportunity to get carries/receptions.  The question is would you rather have a TE who is on the field all the time AND used a receiver or on the field half the time used as a receiver only.  Give me the guy who plays more which will lead to more opportunity.  

I don't understand this type of thinking.  OJ howard isn't hurt by being on the field more than other TE's.... Gronk is on the field a ton for blocking and nobody mentions that as a negative for him.  He's on the field with chances to make plays, and he's a dynamic receiver why wouldn't you want that? 

An offense calls a play with many different variables.  One of those variables is the ability to "check" to a different play or "shift" someone into a pass protector.  If they don't check/shift then that person has opportunity to get carries/receptions.  The question is would you rather have a TE who is on the field all the time AND used a receiver or on the field half the time used as a receiver only.  Give me the guy who plays more which will lead to more opportunity.  
It is really situationally dependent. The Gronk situation is different because Gronk is soooo much better than any other TE at running routes/ making catches so it's hard to justify taking him off the field. this Goedert situation could be like that if he's the next Gronk which I've compared Goedert with but I have come off that a bit. He's probably not that good.

This Goedert situation resembles more of the Antonio Gates/Ladarius Green situation. As Gates aged Green started to be a better receiving option but not enough to take him off of what he was great at.......Blocking. So since Green was twice the blocker Gates was but only a little better at receiving he was held into block while Gates ran routes. This was the best option for the Chargers to field the best team and it killed Green's fantasy value. Being a good blocker does not always equate to more opportunity.

The same thing is happening to OJ Howard right now.

Dallas Goedert (elbow) returned to practice Monday.

He only ended up missing one practice. Goedert looked great in the preseason opener, but his path to redraft fantasy value is narrow with Zach Ertz atop the depth chart. Even so, he is a name to watch.

Source: Jeff McLane on Twitter 

Aug 13 - 9:11 AM

Some sarcasm from training camp:

Benjamin Solak@BenjaminSolak

Dallas Goedert catching with both hands. His progress back from injury has really impressed me.

I don't think any of the Eagles players are great picks for fantasy because no one is really an elite featured player. Whether it is Alshon/Wallace/Agholor/Ertz/Goedart/Ajayi/Clement/Sproles the Eagles spread the ball around and basically take what you give them. So they all may put up decent to pretty good numbers, but their week to week consistency is going to be up and down depending on how the other team's defense plays them. We all know how important consistency is in winning FF games. Obviously Wentz at QB could be elite, but there is uncertainty due to his coming back from his injury.

As it relates to Goedart, I think he will be very good in helping the Eagles this season. As a FF option, I think he is mostly an emergency replacement that you hope has a good week the week you use him. I just don't see him getting consistently good numbers every week (because of the team he is on).

As it relates to Goedart, I think he will be very good in helping the Eagles this season. As a FF option, I think he is mostly an emergency replacement that you hope has a good week the week you use him. I just don't see him getting consistently good numbers every week (because of the team he is on).
Ya I doubt anyone is drafting him in redraft.  Maybe in 20 round TE premium leagues he'll be worth a flier late. 

Sheil Kapadia @SheilKapadia

Dallas Goedert has five catches of 15+ yards and three catches of 25+ yards in two preseason games. Great route yesterday to beat Patrick Chung in man coverage. Definitely looks the part. #resources

Eagles TE Dallas Goedert caught 2-of-5 targets for 26 yards in Thursday's preseason game against the Browns.

The No. 49 overall pick is now up to nine catches for 149 yards and a touchdown through three preseason games. Goedert has passed the eye test in addition to stuffing the stat sheet. Although the Eagles should once again feature plenty of two-tight end sets, a best-case fantasy scenario for Goedert would be matchup-based TE2 status.

Aug 24 - 12:13 AM

Dallas Goedert - TE -  Eagles

Jimmy Kempski of The Philly Voice expects the Eagles to employ more two tight-end sets with Alshon Jeffery (shoulder) sidelined for the first two weeks of the regular season.

The Eagles aren't especially deep at receiver with Nelson Agholor, Mike Wallace and Mack Hollins likely to function as the top three wideouts in Week 1. Zach Ertz will continue to be a catalyst, though Kempski hinted that Goedert could benefit the most from Jeffery's absence. The second-round rookie has shown flashes during the preseason with nine catches for 149 yards and a touchdown, though he's also dropped two passes. He'll be a name to monitor on the waiver wire.

Source: Jimmy Kempski on Twitter 

Aug 28 - 7:16 PM

I drafted Goedert late in both my dynasty leagues. Love the talent. Hate the landing spot. Patience is needed here. If Ertz goes down it's on. If not we're looking at 2-3 years. 

I drafted Goedert late in both my dynasty leagues. Love the talent. Hate the landing spot. Patience is needed here. If Ertz goes down it's on. If not we're looking at 2-3 years. 
Ertz may not matter to Goedert's value.  He may be used extensively anyway.

Ertz may not matter to Goedert's value.  He may be used extensively anyway.
I don't see that. I've read some red zone usage but i mean what are you thinking is a logical target ceiling for a rookie TE on a team with a star TE?

And they like to run two TE sets. And Ertz, IMO, is solid but not great. There is room to leap past him. Probably takes a year or two. But I don't think it's crazy to think Goedert can finish between ~TE8 and TE16. There are about 20 guys who can. Why not him?

And they like to run two TE sets. And Ertz, IMO, is solid but not great. There is room to leap past him. Probably takes a year or two. But I don't think it's crazy to think Goedert can finish between ~TE8 and TE16. There are about 20 guys who can. Why not him?
It will be tough even if PHI runs the most 12 and 13 personnel sets in the league (they were close last year). The only team I think can support multiple TEs (both still won't be TE1s) is IND because a) they are truly devoid of pass catching talent and b) IND's defense looks so terrible that I'm fully expecting 600+ pass attempts from Luck this year.

What I do think is likely is that Goedert will be very startable (a la Burton) in a handful of games this year if Ertz is once again unable to play a full 16. 

I'd use Ertz's rookie season as what Goedert will probably get.  450 yds, 4 TD's.  Upside potential for more TD's, doubtful he gets more yards then that.

I'd use Ertz's rookie season as what Goedert will probably get.  450 yds, 4 TD's.  Upside potential for more TD's, doubtful he gets more yards then that.
I was going to say I like/agree with those numbers but don't agree with how you got there. So i looked back and saw Ertz's rookie year he was playing with an established vet named Brent Celek. Which would appear like a similar situation. I'd give Goedert a slightly higher ceiling in yards because I think he's better talent wise than Ertz but not much.......550 yards 6 TD max. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to say I like/agree with those numbers but don't agree with how you got there. So i looked back and saw Ertz's rookie year he was playing with an established vet named Brent Celek. Which would appear like a similar situation. I'd give Goedert a slightly higher ceiling in yards because I think he's better talent wise than Ertz but not much.......550 yards 6 TD max. 
Right, that's exactly the rationale -  situation almost identical.  Celek was at the same age then Ertz is now.  Ertz is probably better then Celek was at that age - but Celek was no slouch, and was the #1 TE for the first year or two of Ertz's time.

Dallas Goedert - TE -  Eagles

Dallas Goedert caught 1-of-3 targets for four yards in the Eagles' Week 1 win over the Falcons.

One of Goedert's missed connections was in the end zone. Despite the Eagles' depth issues at receiver and lots of summer talk of continued two-tight end sets, Goedert played fewer than 20 snaps in his NFL debut. He was also the intended target on Nick Foles' interception. Foles dropped a pass in late. Goedert got his hands on it but was immediately blown up, sending the ball into the air. Goedert won't be a realistic TE2 streamer against the Bucs in Week 2.

Sep 7 - 1:14 AM

when i saw that play in the endzone, i was shocked. "since when can ertz get up like that??"

then the showed a replay and i realized it was goedert... wow he looks gifted and they clearly know it. they drew that play up the first time they got down in the red zone.

i'd definitely keep my fingers crossed that he's quiet the next game and then buy buy buy.

when i saw that play in the endzone, i was shocked. "since when can ertz get up like that??"

then the showed a replay and i realized it was goedert... wow he looks gifted and they clearly know it. they drew that play up the first time they got down in the red zone.

i'd definitely keep my fingers crossed that he's quiet the next game and then buy buy buy.

Was coming here to post the same.

I didn’t expect him to go nuts in his first game as he is still a rookie, but there was a few articles published that he was a ‘sleeper’ player to start for fantasy football purposes with Alshon Jeffery missing the game last night.

Who is starting him this week? If you are , let's talk about who you are starting him over. I'm leaning Goeddert over Ebron and McDonald. It helps that my opponent has Wentz. 

Goeddert is a special talent and the Eagles know it. I wouldn’t count on him as a weekly starter when Jeffrey is back, but he’s a great player to have on a dynasty roster 
Perhaps, but the problem is that Ertz is only 27 and signed through 2021, so Goeddert will have to wait his turn. Not exactly like Ertz himself waiting for Celek to get out of the way, but barring injury it may be awhile until we see what the rookie can truly do.

Users who are viewing this thread