What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LGBT, LGBTQ, LGBT+ Thread (1 Viewer)

squistion

Footballguy
There is a Trump transgender in the military thread and a few threads dealing, but no thread dealing with current news regarding LGBT people in this country - so I will start it. Mods can merge with a related thread if they feel that is appropriate.

Anyway, below is a post from one of the Parkland HS students:

Cameron Kasky‏ @cameron_kasky 2h2 hours ago

Trans boys and girls all around the world- don’t let anybody tell you that you’re not perfect just because you’re being who you are. Keep on going— embrace yourself. You are beautiful no matter what.

https://twitter.com/cameron_kasky/status/980189631177199616

Last edited by a moderator:
I think LGBTQ should be treated like everyone else in the military

If they're a distraction, too much trouble, too expensive, too weak, too mentally unfit etc they should be removed. Treat them equally to everyone else. There, done. Simple

Why did the Q get added? 
https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/glaad-officially-adds-q-lgbtq-n673196

GLAAD Officially Adds the 'Q' to LGBTQ

LGBTQ advocacy group GLAAD has officially recommended adding the "Q" to the acronym used to reference the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer community. The organization made the recommendation for the first time in the latest edition of its Media Resource Guide, where it urged journalists to use "LGBTQ" versus "LGBT" in an effort to be more inclusive of those who identify as queer.

"The GLAAD Media Reference Guide is the industry standard for fair and accurate reporting on the LGBTQ community, and informs the style guides of the world’s leading news organizations,” GLAAD President & CEO Sarah Kate Ellis said in a statement. “This latest edition reflects the increasingly diverse ways LGBTQ people, especially young people, talk about their identities.”

The choice to reclaim the word queer has often been a controversial one, given the word's derogatory origins. However, according to genderqueer activist Jacob Tobia, the word also creates a space where further exploration of gender and sexuality can take place.

"GLAAD's addition of the 'Q' to the LGBTQ acronym is vital for the community and reflects just how far we have come as a movement. While there are those who still have hesitancy about reclaiming the word queer, the reality is that thousands of young people and activists across the country use the word queer to describe themselves and their communities," Tobia, who hosts NBC OUT's "Queer 2.0" video series, said.

"The goal of the word queer is to be intentionally ambiguous and create space for exploring your gender and sexuality outside of a rigidly defined label," Tobia added. "This is the future of the LGBTQ movement: creating a world where gender and sexuality can be fluid, ever-evolving and free of stigma or shame. My hat's off to GLAAD for this exciting affirmation of young queer activists."

No, it isn't that this minority group doesn't want to be labeled, it is that they (like all minorities) want a label of their own choosing.
According to this, "The goal of the word queer is to be intentionally ambiguous and create space for exploring your gender and sexuality outside of a rigidly defined label,"

I think parasaur is right. Sounds like they want a label to show how unlabelable they are.  :P

Sounds like they want a label to show how unlabelable they are. 
While I kind of think this statement has a ring of truth to it, I understand their position here. They want inclusion in this community of people because they know they themselves don't fit into the standard gender identifiers yet they aren't really sure of their own specific leanings just yet. They're just not sure how they identify yet. 

And Hell Toupee claimed in another thread that Trump would be the best friend LGBT people ever had. With friends like these...

:(

NYT Politics‏Verified account @nytpolitics 30m

The Trump administration says it plans to roll back a rule that prevents doctors, hospitals and health insurance companies from discriminating against transgender people

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/21/us/politics/trump-transgender-health-care.html?smid=tw-nytpolitics&smtyp=cur
I’m amazed how people here and you in particular revel in darkness & hate. Simply amazed. No one is being discriminated against , spin it however you want like every issue. I won’t be dragged into your abyss. I’m not playing your games. I choose happiness over hatred. 

I’m amazed how people here and you in particular revel in darkness & hate. Simply amazed. No one is being discriminated against , spin it however you want like every issue. I won’t be dragged into your abyss. I’m not playing your games. I choose happiness over hatred. 
Here is an example of you choosing happiness over hatred. From The March For Our Lives thread:

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:28 AM, RBM said:

That little POS Hogg is much worse than an attention whore. 
:goodposting:

NYT Politics‏Verified account @nytpolitics 30m

The Trump administration says it plans to roll back a rule that prevents doctors, hospitals and health insurance companies from discriminating against transgender people

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/21/us/politics/trump-transgender-health-care.html?smid=tw-nytpolitics&smtyp=cur
https://twitter.com/jessphoenix2018/status/988439168752603137

Trump admin attacks on trans people escalate. 1st was the trans military ban, then removing protections for trans people at school, & now it's allowing healthcare discrimination.

Trans people are people. Call your Reps. Please. This matters.

Some would disagree with that statement.

mm‏ @musicrocksit452 8h8 hours ago

DOCTOR REFUSES TO TREAT 6-DAY-OLD BABY BECAUSE HER PARENTS ARE LESBIANS

Couple lives in Michigan where it’s legal to discriminate against LGBTQ people.THE DOCTOR PRAYED ON IT, said won’t see them. Need fed nondiscrimination protections 4 LGBTQ community

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/04/doctor-refuses-treat-6-day-old-baby-parents-lesbians/

Couple lives in Michigan where it’s legal to discriminate against LGBTQ people.THE DOCTOR PRAYED ON IT, said won’t see them. Need fed nondiscrimination protections 4 LGBTQ community

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/04/doctor-refuses-treat-6-day-old-baby-parents-lesbians/
You know obama was president then right?

You know obama was president then right?
Law is still the same in Michigan and could happen today or tomorrow to any LGBT couple with a child.

This was posted to refute HT's suggestion/claim that there is no discrimination against LGBT people.

While the incident happened in 2015, the Contreras are telling their story to highlight the need for federal nondiscrimination protections for the LGBTQ community as part of a new national campaign called Beyond I Do.

The campaign highlights states that continue to allow discrimination in employment, housing, credit, public accommodations, and social services.

“We want people to know that this is happening to families. This is really happening,” said Jami Contreras. “It was embarrassing. It was humiliating … It’s just wrong.”

Law is still the same in Michigan and could happen today or tomorrow to any LGBT couple with a child.

This was posted to refute HT's suggestion/claim that there is no discrimination against LGBT people.

While the incident happened in 2015, the Contreras are telling their story to highlight the need for federal nondiscrimination protections for the LGBTQ community as part of a new national campaign called Beyond I Do.

The campaign highlights states that continue to allow discrimination in employment, housing, credit, public accommodations, and social services.

“We want people to know that this is happening to families. This is really happening,” said Jami Contreras. “It was embarrassing. It was humiliating … It’s just wrong.”
Uh. Huh. Suuuuuuure. We believe you.

So it's a label for people that dont want to be labeled. Interesting times. 
 I know someone who is transgender that went from a man to a woman. While still dating the woman she was dating before she transitioned. She identifies as transgender but her sexuality and history are gender exploration are such that she just likes the term queer.

And, it's nothing to me what she wants to call herself, so what do I care?

(cross posted in MSNBC thread)

MSNBC‏Verified account @MSNBC 35m35 minutes ago

.@MSNBC's Joy Reid addresses homophobic blog posts:

"I genuinely do not believe I wrote those hateful things ... But I can definitely understand, based on things I have tweeted and have written in the past, why some people don't believe me."

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/990232457822851078

Scott Dworkin‏Verified account @funder 36m36 minutes ago

“The reality is, I have to own the things that I’ve written and tweeted and said. And I’m hoping out of all of this, there’s an opportunity to talk about the ways in which hateful speech really does imperil marganalized communities.” Joy Reid #AMJoy #ImWithJoy

"The person I am now is not the person I was then. I like to think I have gotten better as a person overtime. That I am still growing. That I'm not the same person I was 10 or 5 or even 1 year ago." Joy Reid #AMJoy #Reiders #IStandWithJoy

(cross posted in MSNBC thread)

MSNBC‏Verified account @MSNBC 35m35 minutes ago

.@MSNBC's Joy Reid addresses homophobic blog posts:

"I genuinely do not believe I wrote those hateful things ... But I can definitely understand, based on things I have tweeted and have written in the past, why some people don't believe me."

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/990232457822851078

Scott Dworkin‏Verified account @funder 36m36 minutes ago

“The reality is, I have to own the things that I’ve written and tweeted and said. And I’m hoping out of all of this, there’s an opportunity to talk about the ways in which hateful speech really does imperil marganalized communities.” Joy Reid #AMJoy #ImWithJoy

"The person I am now is not the person I was then. I like to think I have gotten better as a person overtime. That I am still growing. That I'm not the same person I was 10 or 5 or even 1 year ago." Joy Reid #AMJoy #Reiders #IStandWithJoy
So Reid lied to cover her homophobic rants?  Squis..you have to be the first one calling for her to resign. Right?

If a Doctor ever tells you he needs to pray on it.  It's time to find a new doctor.

So the Doctor with personal reservations, forthrightly revealed them so that the patients could obtain un-conflicted service, and she arranged for treatment at the same practice facility with an un-conflicted Doctor?  Seems to me the patient got the best possible care under the scenario.  Their feelings were hurt, but their baby was not.

My first preference would be that folks did not make decisions based upon prejudices from religions.  My second preference would be that folks with such prejudices forthrightly disclose them as if they don't make a decision based thereon, I might damn well want to.

Users who are viewing this thread