What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LGBT, LGBTQ, LGBT+ Thread (2 Viewers)

So, my 14 year old son has struggled with gender identity for much of his life, which has caused a tremendous amount of anxiety and depression since he was 8 years old, leading to academic underperformance as well as significant social challenges. Within the past 18 months, he found kindred spirits in the LGBTQ community, and has begun to express himself as GNC and I've never seen him happier and more confident. He is now a straight A student, has a supportive peer group and finally feels comfortable in his own skin. This administration's plans to marginalize my kid and others like him is nothing less than ignorant bigotry to shore up an intolerant base of truly misinformed people.

So, my 14 year old son has struggled with gender identity for much of his life, which has caused a tremendous amount of anxiety and depression since he was 8 years old, leading to academic underperformance as well as significant social challenges. Within the past 18 months, he found kindred spirits in the LGBTQ community, and has begun to express himself as GNC and I've never seen him happier and more confident. He is now a straight A student, has a supportive peer group and finally feels comfortable in his own skin. This administration's plans to marginalize my kid and others like him is nothing less than ignorant bigotry to shore up an intolerant base of truly misinformed people.
Kids have a crappy enough time getting through their teenage years without adding bullying/marginalization on top of it.  Amazing how kids can blossom when surrounded by a truly supportive community.  Glad your son has found a safe haven that has allowed him to flourish.  There needs to be more of this and less of archaic kids will be kids thinking.

Good for your kid, and good for you for supporting your kid.  That's how this should go, but doesn't often enough.

Norman Godwasser is a prominent therapist in the "gay cure" movement, claiming that homosexual desires and tendencies can be cured through psychotherapy (much as our Vice President has previously advocated.)  He's made a career peddling a cure for homosexuality, using himself as an example of being "ex-gay."

Everyone knows where this is going.

He was on "Manhunt" and "BearNation" trolling for gay sex under the profile name and “Hotnhairy72.”

Norman Godwasser is a prominent therapist in the "gay cure" movement, claiming that homosexual desires and tendencies can be cured through psychotherapy (much as our Vice President has previously advocated.)  He's made a career peddling a cure for homosexuality, using himself as an example of being "ex-gay."

Everyone knows where this is going.

He was on "Manhunt" and "BearNation" trolling for gay sex under the profile name and “Hotnhairy72.”
You must hate yourself so much to peddle this garbage. (hotnhairy72, not you Henry Ford).

Today is Transgender Day of Remembrance, where we remember the names and the lives of trans folks we’ve lost to violence this year:

Here is the Twitter hashtag:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/TransDayOfRemembrance?src=tren

Hillary Clinton has tweeted the names of all the trans folks murdered this year:

Hillary Clinton‏ @HillaryClinton 2h2 hours ago

Gigi Pierce. Nino Fortson. Karla Patricia Flores-Pavón. Sasha Wall. Amia Tyrae. Phylicia Mitchell. Zakaria Fry. Celine Walker. Tonya Harvey. Christa Leigh Steele-Knudslien. Viccky Gutierrez,

Ciara Minaj Carter. Nikki Janelle Enriquez. Londonn Moore. Shantee Tucker. Dejanay Stanton. Vontashia Bell. Sasha Garden. Keisha Wells. Cathalina Christina James. Diamond Stephens. Antash’a Devine Sherrington English.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/796394920051441664

:o  Horrors! Somehow I missed this affront to traditional family values.

ForAmerica‏ @ForAmerica Nov 22

Millions of small children just watched two girls kiss and had their innocence broken this morning. @nbc and @Macys just blindsided parents who expected this to be a family program, so they could push their agenda on little kids. #macysthanksgivingdayparade #MacysDayParade

https://twitter.com/ForAmerica/status/1065623392072675328 (photo at link)*

*One has to wonder, if they are so outraged why tweet the photo of the kiss?

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/why-kevin-hart-had-to-go-as-oscars-host#nws=mcnewsletter

Why Kevin Hart Had to Go as Oscars Host

By Michael Schulman

On Wednesday, the Academy Awards announced the comedian Kevin Hart as the host of this year’s broadcast. Apparently, he wasn’t the first person asked. The Hollywood Reporter had just run a piece headlined “Why Oscar Host Has Become the Least Wanted Job in Hollywood,” noting the A-list talents (Oprah Winfrey, Tina Fey) who had reportedly passed. Hart, in contrast, had indicated publicly that it was a dream gig. On Instagram, he said that he was “blown away simply because this has been a goal on my list for a long time.”

Within hours, the Internet unearthed a number of homophobic tweets from Hart’s past, including one, now deleted, from 2011: “Yo if my son comes home & try’s 2 play with my daughters doll house I’m going 2 break it over his head & say n my voice ‘stop that’s gay.’ ” Another tweet described a Twitter user’s photo as “a gay billboard for AIDS.” There were sprinklings of “gay by association,” “no homo,” and “fat faced ” throughout his feed. The journalist Benjamin Lee, of the Guardian, shared a routine from Hart’s 2010 comedy special, “Seriously Funny,” in which he says, “One of my biggest fears is my son growing up and being gay. That’s a fear. Keep in mind, I’m not homophobic. . . . Be happy. Do what you want to do. But me, as a heterosexual male, if I can prevent my son from being gay, I will.” He goes on to describe his son Hendrix’s possible “homosexual tendencies,” to which his fatherly response is “Stop, that’s gay!”

You know how these things work: rapid-fire outrage, hand-wringing over how culpable people should be for old jokes, and—last night, on cue—the dénouement. Taking to Instagram again, Hart came out with a non-apology (“I’m not going to let the craziness frustrate me”) and then, an hour or so later, tweeted out an actual apology (“I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past”) and withdrew as the Oscars host.

Hart was reportedly given an “ultimatum” by the Academy to apologize, which didn’t exactly need another own goal after #OscarsSoWhite, the “Best Popular Film” debacle, and declining ratings. The viewers who still tune in include a fervent gay fan base (Hi!), who will want to watch Lady Gaga perform “Shallow” in peace. And, in retrospect, how could Hart have possibly presided over a cinematic year that includes such L.G.B.T.Q.-flavored films as “Can You Ever Forgive Me?,” “The Favourite,” and “Boy Erased,” the last about a gay teen whose parents send him to conversion therapy?

I can’t solve the problem of how accountable comedians should be for insensitive jokes from years ago (although 2010, which Hart described as “days of old,” wasn’t exactly pre-Stonewall). I can only tell you how my skin crawled and my heart sank as I read Hart’s “jokes.” There’s a specific brand of homophobia—fear of gayness in your own children—that is so hurtful, because its implication is that love is contingent upon fear. Anyone who spent his or her childhood trying to police “homosexual tendencies”—say, the urge to hoard cassette tapes of Oscar-winning songs—feels the sting of Hart’s words, delivered in the spirit of “I’m just saying what every father thinks.”

Not all “offensive” jokes are equally bad. Jerry Seinfeld’s crack about scrolling through his phone contacts “like a gay French king” is hacky and annoying, mostly because he uses it to rail against “political correctness.” But it doesn’t cut nearly as deep as Hart’s. As the gay comedian Billy Eichner tweeted, “Many of us have jokes/tweets we regret. I’m ok with tasteless jokes, depending on context. What bothers me about these is you can tell its not just a joke—there’s real truth, anger & fear behind these. I hope Kevin’s thinking has evolved since 2011.” Unwanted as it may be, hosting the Oscars is an élite, front-and-center job, and now the Academy can choose someone without the taint of intolerance. It should see if Eichner has plans on Sunday, February 24th.

I can’t solve the problem of how accountable comedians should be for insensitive jokes from years ago (although 2010, which Hart described as “days of old,” wasn’t exactly pre-Stonewall). I can only tell you how my skin crawled and my heart sank as I read Hart’s “jokes.” There’s a specific brand of homophobia—fear of gayness in your own children—that is so hurtful, because its implication is that love is contingent upon fear. Anyone who spent his or her childhood trying to police “homosexual tendencies”—say, the urge to hoard cassette tapes of Oscar-winning songs—feels the sting of Hart’s words, delivered in the spirit of “I’m just saying what every father thinks.”

Not all “offensive” jokes are equally bad. Jerry Seinfeld’s crack about scrolling through his phone contacts “like a gay French king” is hacky and annoying, mostly because he uses it to rail against “political correctness.” But it doesn’t cut nearly as deep as Hart’s. As the gay comedian Billy Eichner tweeted, “Many of us have jokes/tweets we regret. I’m ok with tasteless jokes, depending on context. What bothers me about these is you can tell its not just a joke—there’s real truth, anger & fear behind these. I hope Kevin’s thinking has evolved since 2011.” Unwanted as it may be, hosting the Oscars is an élite, front-and-center job, and now the Academy can choose someone without the taint of intolerance. It should see if Eichner has plans on Sunday, February 24th.
Spot on with the bolded.  This kind of "parenting" makes my stomach turn. These aren't jokes, they're a mindset of a bigot.

:angry:

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/12/trump-quietly-shuts-hiv-cure-research-appease-religious-right/?fbclid=IwAR0UJb0zTagZh3DDqt9HVnCaO5OZbQVTIqC2HMuB0eJcL1qLK1uogFazt3c

Trump quietly shuts down HIV cure research to appease the religious right

Scientists are speaking out against a directive by the Trump administration that has shut down research into a cure for HIV.

A scientist who was supposed to supply mice that have been modified with human fetal tissue for an HIV study emailed researchers that the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) “has directed me to discontinue procuring fetal tissue.”

“This effectively stops all of our research to discover a cure for HIV,” he wrote.

A “pause” on research that uses aborted fetal tissue, something Christian conservatives strongly oppose, was announced by the Trump administration this past September. The move will affect numerous biomedical research programs.

Congressional Republicans have tried to ban all fetal tissue research for years to appease the religious right. 85 Republican House members wrote a letter to the head of the FDA asking for a ban on fetal tissue research shortly before the “pause” was announced.

The ban has long been a goal of the anti-abortion industry and has been part of the most recent attacks on Planned Parenthood. The group was falsely accused of selling aborted fetuses earlier this year.

In a statement, the NIH said that there is only a “pause in place” on the research, which is “an action NIH thought was prudent given the examination of these procurements.”

“We were all poised to go and then the bombshell was dropped,” said Warner Greene, director of the Gladstone Center for HIV Cure Research. Greene was about to collaborate with the Montana lab on HIV research when the project came to a halt.

“The decision completely knocked our collaboration off the rails. We were devastated.”

The study would have relied on fetal tissue donated by women who have had legal abortions in order to produce “humanized mice,” mice that have human-like immune systems, according to Science. The mice have been used for years for research in infectious diseases, including HIV.

Mice are one of the few non-human animals that can be infected with HIV, which makes them key to testing HIV medication.

Researchers at the lab were going to test a promising antibody they developed to prevent HIV from developing reservoirs, which are cells infected with HIV but are not producing the virus. These cells aren’t affected by currently available HIV medication.

“You spend your life trying to do good experiments and organize your science carefully, and suddenly, at the whim of some politicians in Washington, D.C., they remove a critical piece of your scientific armamentarium,” Greene said.

[...]

Why do I think that if we were in a time that required a draft, this ruling would not have been issued.  Selective outrage.
Exactly, the armed services had a history of drafting LGBT people to use as cannon fodder when they felt it was needed. There were first person accounts of gay men during Vietnam telling the Army at the time of induction they were homosexual, but were taken anyway. In fact I have seen studies that showed that during times of armed conflict where more soldiers were needed, discharges for gay and lesbian soldiers dropped dramatically but then increased to prior levels once the conflict was over.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the big points of debate within the military was when the actual gender swap happens. Way too much of a gray area for a community that operates in the black and white

I had lunch with a lesbian today.

AMA
My niece is a lesbian...I go out drinking with her partner all the time when in Chicago on business.  If my niece does not want to go out her partner always says "Me an Uncle Guru are going out for some drinks" see you in a couple hours. They live in Wicker Park so we just walk and hit a few bars.

Rep. Joe Kennedy is set to introduce a resolution rejecting Trump's transgender military ban "as a discriminatory policy based on junk science," the Washington Blade has learned.

https://www.washingtonblade.com/2019/02/11/exclusive-rep-kennedy-leads-congressional-resolution-against-trump-trans-military-ban/
I dont understand the desire to push this issue to the military. Transgender recruits create more problems than they solve. The military already has a list of conditions that will exclude people from service. 

One way around the ban was for recruits to join as the gender they were assigned at birth, but that apparently wasnt good enough. 

The military is a different beast. Men and women are evaluated differently and due to the nature of the living situation are housed differently. I'd love to know how colleges are dealing with transgender students. Does a born male with a penis live in the female dorms if that makes them more comfortable?  Or how far along in the transition do they need to be to move from one sex to the other...

Newly elected W. VA Delegate Eric Porterfield appears to be very homophobic. And very stupid too. Not sure what this says about those who voted for him. 

So gross

*** Is he wearing a MAGA hat?

I have no idea what this guy's political affiliation is but what does the LGBTQ community stand for in terms of diversity? Is it only for their personal group? Or for everyone? Including straight white males?

And why bring up a MAGA hat if you don't know what it says? Do you have a personal political agenda in your reply to this?
Just want to clear, you’re cool with a homophobic state delegate publicly announcing murdering his children if they are gay? This is what it sounds like you are defending. Got it! 

#MAGA

Murdering gay children is totally acceptable, but abortion is bad, and murder, and should be illegal! Sounds good. Sign me up. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just want to clear, you’re cool with a homophobic state delegate publicly announcing murdering his children if they are gay? This is what it sounds like you are defending. Got it! 

#MAGA

Murdering gay children is totally acceptable, but abortion is bad, and murder, and should be illegal! Sounds good. Sign me up. 
You seem to overly obsessed with MAGA and ridiculous generalizations.   Is everything OK?  

Users who are viewing this thread