What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Census Thread (2 Viewers)

Increasingly more in the news lately. Deserves its own thread

The NAACP is spearheading a lawsuit against the Census Bureau and Trump, warning that the federal government is unprepared for the 2020 Census and will substantially undercount African Americans and other people of color in communities.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/naacp-files-lawsuit-over-2020-census
Anyone can sue for anything they want. The article offered no proof or really anything of substance other than some guy’s opinion. 

The Census is outdated and inaccurate.  Only about half the country votes, millions of people don’t file an income tax, why would everyone suddenly fill out a questionnaire? 

The Hill‏Verified account @thehill

JUST IN: Sarah Sanders wrongly claims citizenship question was asked in every census until 2010

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/380500-white-house-defends-citizenship-question-on-census
You can't expect her to answer every question correctly.

I'm starting to think that we have been asking a little too much of our fact-challenged right wing brethren. Look at Donald -- he's practically a genius and he hardly ever says anything accurate by average standards.

Got a story to tell about this subject regarding big government and it’s incredible amount of waste: 

Recently I was hired to be an analyst for a large office building/shopping center in escrow on behalf of the buyer. As I was reviewing the leases, I came upon a new one, not yet executed, between the seller and the GSA, the government agency which handles the census. The GSA wanted to rent 5,000 sf of office space for 11 months only in order to conduct census work. They liked the location, but they wanted newly refurbished offices so they required the landlord to perform $300,000 worth of tenant improvements. In order to make this worthwhile to the landlord, the GSA agreed to pay $50,000 a month in rent for the 11 months!!!!

Now you need to understand that in Southern California there are literally tons of expensive office space available and it’s very cheap- between $1-3 per sf per month. If you want absolute top end, high rise space, you might pay up to $4, or $20,000 a month for 5000 ft- but that’s only in Beverly Hills or West LA. Yet here is the government willing to throw down $550,000 of taxpayer money for 11 months. It’s unbelievable. 

Got a story to tell about this subject regarding big government and it’s incredible amount of waste: 

Recently I was hired to be an analyst for a large office building/shopping center in escrow on behalf of the buyer. As I was reviewing the leases, I came upon a new one, not yet executed, between the seller and the GSA, the government agency which handles the census. The GSA wanted to rent 5,000 sf of office space for 11 months only in order to conduct census work. They liked the location, but they wanted newly refurbished offices so they required the landlord to perform $300,000 worth of tenant improvements. In order to make this worthwhile to the landlord, the GSA agreed to pay $50,000 a month in rent for the 11 months!!!!

Now you need to understand that in Southern California there are literally tons of expensive office space available and it’s very cheap- between $1-3 per sf per month. If you want absolute top end, high rise space, you might pay up to $4, or $20,000 a month for 5000 ft- but that’s only in Beverly Hills or West LA. Yet here is the government willing to throw down $550,000 of taxpayer money for 11 months. It’s unbelievable. 
Hey that taxpayer money doesn't just redistribute itself. 

Increasingly more in the news lately. Deserves its own thread

The NAACP is spearheading a lawsuit against the Census Bureau and Trump, warning that the federal government is unprepared for the 2020 Census and will substantially undercount African Americans and other people of color in communities.
This is a bad thing?

I mean, is the census even really needed any more?
Well, yes. But post wasn't talking about getting rid of the census. It was talking about undercounting African-Americans and other minority communities.  Care to expand on why you don't think that's a bad thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, yes. But post you implied was a good thing wasn't talking about getting rid of the census. It was talking about undercounting African-Americans and other minority communities.  Care to expand on why you don't think that's a bad thing?
Well see, you obviously immediately read it the bad way.  Shame on you.

GSA, the government agency which handles the census.
Not sure what you mean by this, but I'd say the Census Bureau "handles the census". GSA does several things, one of them being acquiring facilities for other government agencies.

To your point, though, that does seem excessive. However, there may be some legit reasons they want that location and maybe much of the improvements are security (not just physical but also data) related?

No I didn't.  I'm asking you to explain your post. Are you not capable of explaining your own words?
I said above that is the census even really needed any more?  There is no need to hire people to have them go out.  Do it online, have a valid SSN, etc.

I said above that is the census even really needed any more?  There is no need to hire people to have them go out.  Do it online, have a valid SSN, etc.
There will be an online questionnaire in 2020. Not everyone completes it. Hiring people to go out is part of what's called non-response follow up. There are probably also people who go out ahead of data collection to canvass certain areas to see if addresses are still there and whether a survey response should be expected for those locations.

There will be an online questionnaire in 2020. Not everyone completes it. Hiring people to go out is part of what's called non-response follow up. There are probably also people who go out ahead of data collection to canvass certain areas to see if addresses are still there and whether a survey response should be expected for those locations.
They don't fill it out, they don't get counted.  Simple as that.

Not sure what you mean by this, but I'd say the Census Bureau "handles the census". GSA does several things, one of them being acquiring facilities for other government agencies.

To your point, though, that does seem excessive. However, there may be some legit reasons they want that location and maybe much of the improvements are security (not just physical but also data) related?
Possible, I don’t know. Even so, 11 months? That’s ridiculous. 

They don't fill it out, they don't get counted.  Simple as that.
So you'd be ok with apportioning representatives and tax dollars based on a number generated from those who filled it out and not worry about trying to be more accurate by tracking down those who don't fill it out by a certain date?

But the post to which you sarcastically asked "is that a bad thing?" wasn't about whether or not to do the census at all. It was specifically about the federal government's unpreparedness resulting in "substantially undercounting African Americans and other people of color in communities."

So your explanation makes no sense.  If you wanted to question the need for the census, why post about it vaguely in response to a post that has nothing to do with whether it not we will/should do the census?

So you'd be ok with apportioning representatives and tax dollars based on a number generated from those who filled it out and not worry about trying to be more accurate by tracking down those who don't fill it out by a certain date?
Yup.

Yup.  If you don't care enough to fill out the forms, then neither should the government.
When a hurricane hits and agencies (including local and state governments, charitable organizations, among others) want to plan the level of help needed, do they just go with the number generated by those who filled it out leading them to be underprepared or do they only distribute their help to those who filled it out?

Should the IRS approach tax collection the same way?

Users who are viewing this thread