What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Census Thread (1 Viewer)

Then you immediately jumped to racism.
You asked why undercounting African Americans and other people of color in communities would be a bad thing. If you don't want them to be counted, the inference is that bigotry or racism towards people of color is probably the reason - unless you can explain what else you meant by that comment (which you have refused to do).

You asked why undercounting African Americans and other people of color in communities would be a bad thing. If you don't want them to be counted, the inference is that bigotry or racism towards people of color is probably the reason - unless you can explain what else you meant by that comment (which you have refused to do).
I never said that.  You are just putting words in people's mouths again.

I never said that.  You are just putting words in people's mouths again.
It sure sounded like racism to me too. But you can explain what you exactly meant and I’ll accept it; otherwise, forgive us for making what is a pretty obvious assumption. 

It sure sounded like racism to me too. But you can explain what you exactly meant and I’ll accept it; otherwise, forgive us for making what is a pretty obvious assumption. 
This is the first time I'm reading jiffy's work so maybe I'm being too generous but it sounds like he's saying the census is pointless - I'm guessing if you asked him if they undercounted <insert group here> he would say he doesn't care.

See that is what is wrong with today's society.  Everyone immediately jumps to the negative.  Guilty until proven innocent.

This is the first time I'm reading jiffy's work so maybe I'm being too generous but it sounds like he's saying the census is pointless - I'm guessing if you asked him if they undercounted <insert group here> he would say he doesn't care.
posty, I believe.

But, yes, he did explain that he was trying to make the point that counting everyone isn't important.

No, you have read it before but under another handle.

Is that his argument? That the census is pointless? Damn. I’d probably respect him more if he were simply a racist. 

Is that his argument? That the census is pointless? Damn. I’d probably respect him more if he were simply a racist. 
Maybe a more accurate argument is he doesn't care if groups aren't counted.  At this point I went ahead and put him in ignore so I'll never know - just guessing on a slow Friday afternoon.

Careful, Tim, he gets upset when people puts words in his mouth. He did not give that or any other reason for why AAs being undercounted would not be a bad thing.

I think it's more: Count whoever wants to be counted and don't worry about the rest. Not sure what happens after that, but that's where we are right now.

This would be an overly generous read regardless of who posted it.  "I'm glad [minority group] is getting screwed over" doesn't magically become OK if you go on to say you'd feel that way regardless of the minority group in question. It just makes you a more diverse bigot.

This would be an overly generous read regardless of who posted it.  "I'm glad [minority group] is getting screwed over" doesn't magically become OK if you go on to say you'd feel that way regardless of the minority group in question. It just makes you a more diverse bigot.
Why are you assuming he's not ok if it's white people?  I didn't say minority group, I said group.  Again, I don't know this poster so maybe he has a history I'm not aware of.

In our quest to understand his full argument, I don't think he's saying "minority group". He's just saying "group". It could be a majority group. And, really, I think he's saying the whole group, all humans, can be undercounted and he's fine with that. Not sure where he stands on non-humans.

I'm just excited that the Census is such a hot topic in the PSF. Let's count stuff! Or not, if you're jiffy.

Why are you assuming he's not ok if it's white people?  I didn't say minority group, I said group.  Again, I don't know this poster so maybe he has a history I'm not aware of.
It wouldn't be OK to say you'd be happy if white people got screwed over either. Not in this context, at least, when you're talking about having fair representation in government. If you're talking about not being able to say the N word or something, that's a different story.

It wouldn't be OK to say you'd be happy if white people got screwed over either. Not in this context, at least, when you're talking about having fair representation in government. If you're talking about not being able to say the N word or something, that's a different story.
:confused:   you said it was a generous reading of what he said.  All I was doing was giving my read on things - that was he seemed to not care which groups are underrepresented in the count.  I didn't give an opinion on his stance - I think it's stupid no matter his reasoning.  I just didn't understand why people jumped to him being a racist - but again, I don't know who this poster used to be or if he's new. 

Last edited by a moderator:
In our quest to understand his full argument, I don't think he's saying "minority group". He's just saying "group". It could be a majority group. And, really, I think he's saying the whole group, all humans, can be undercounted and he's fine with that. Not sure where he stands on non-humans.

I'm just excited that the Census is such a hot topic in the PSF. Let's count stuff! Or not, if you're jiffy.
That makes no sense if you go back to the original post to which he responded.

If you said "they're trying to keep Asian people out of hockey!" and I responded "this is a bad thing?" do you seriously think a reasonable interpretation of my post would be that I just don't think anyone should play hockey?  Come on.

I don't know who this poster used to be or if he's new. 
I think it's posty --> trident --> jiffy.

To my knowledge, he's not a known racist. But he is a known go-against-the-grain poster.

I agree with you that the racism allegations should have been dropped quickly. At first, it seemed racist. He somewhat explained himself, so in my mind no reason to continue to think he's ok with certain minorities being undercounted.

That makes no sense if you go back to the original post to which he responded.

If you said "they're trying to keep Asian people out of hockey!" and I responded "this is a bad thing?" do you seriously think a reasonable interpretation of my post would be that I just don't think anyone should play hockey?  Come on.
At first, no. But, if you followed it up with "I mean, is hockey even needed any more?" and then followed it up with posts that indicate that you think hockey should be done differently for all people than it currently is, then I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that your initial attempt to communicate your point wasn't the best and that you don't hate Asians.

Of course, to AAABatteries point, history of the poster matters. And he never clearly stated that he's not racist; just put it on you (and others) for thinking he's racist. Which is pretty consistent with what he does in the forums. My guess is there's some truth that a population wide undercount is fine with him. I'd guess he's not super racist or anything. Much of this is some kind of trolling where he likes to be ambiguous and say controversial things and only reply in short sentences that don't offer a ton of extra information.

One more hour until quitting time on a Friday.

At first, no. But, if you followed it up with "I mean, is hockey even needed any more?" and then followed it up with posts that indicate that you think hockey should be done differently for all people than it currently is, then I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that your initial attempt to communicate your point wasn't the best and that you don't hate Asians.

Of course, to AAABatteries point, history of the poster matters. And he never clearly stated that he's not racist; just put it on you (and others) for thinking he's racist. Which is pretty consistent with what he does in the forums. My guess is there's some truth that a population wide undercount is fine with him. I'd guess he's not super racist or anything. Much of this is some kind of trolling where he likes to be ambiguous and say controversial things and only reply in short sentences that don't offer a ton of extra information.

One more hour until quitting time on a Friday.
You said it, GB. I'll find any silly argument I can to pass the time at this point.

Anyway, if he'd immediately followed it up with "...because nobody should be getting counted!" I might buy it.  He didn't.  He ran with it as long as he could and then scrambled for this BS explanation.

And I don't really care whether people actually believe racist things they say or if they just say racist-sounding things to troll people.  They're effectively the same thing as far as everyone else is concerned.

The census is a tool used in so many applications its ridiculous. To be willing to distort it for thin political purposes is just jackassery of a unbelievable level.  
Why do I need the Census when I can just go to Google to get the population of my state!

Reuters Top News‏ @Reuters 17m17 minutes ago

Supreme Court agrees to hear Trump administration appeal of judge's ruling blocking citizenship question in 2020 census

What a shocking development. I don't think anyone could have seen this coming.

Deceased G.O.P. Strategist’s Hard Drives Reveal New Details on the Census Citizenship Question

Thomas B. Hofeller achieved near-mythic status in the Republican Party as the Michelangelo of gerrymandering, the architect of partisan political maps that cemented the party’s dominance across the country.

But after he died last summer, his estranged daughter discovered hard drives in her father’s home that revealed something else: Mr. Hofeller had played a crucial role in the Trump administration’s decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census.

Files on those drives showed that he wrote a study in 2015 concluding that adding a citizenship question to the census would allow Republicans to draft even more extreme gerrymandered maps to stymie Democrats. And months after urging President Trump’s transition team to tack the question onto the census, he wrote the key portion of a draft Justice Department letter claiming the question was needed to enforce the 1965 Voting Rights Act — the rationale the administration later used to justify its decision.

Those documents, cited in a federal court filing Thursday by opponents seeking to block the citizenship question, have emerged only weeks before the Supreme Court is expected to rule on the legality of the citizenship question. Critics say adding the question would deter many immigrants from being counted and shift political power to Republican areas.

:pickle:

AP Politics‏Verified account @AP_Politics

BREAKING: Supreme Court blocks citizenship question on 2020 census for now. The court says the administration's explanation for it was insufficient.

7:44 AM - 27 Jun 2019

:pickle:

AP Politics‏Verified account @AP_Politics

BREAKING: Supreme Court blocks citizenship question on 2020 census for now. The court says the administration's explanation for it was insufficient.

7:44 AM - 27 Jun 2019
Good but it wouldn't be shocking if they put the question on there anyway.  There's no consequences for breaking the law or trampling on the Constitution. 

Trump just tweeted that they are not dropping the census question. So ... once again, well-oiled machine.

From twitter -  We have hit the point where the president's words are just mouth noises. Either the forms have been sent to print without the question, or they have not. And every indication is that they have.

Twitter - Justice and Commerce said Tuesday the decision had been made to print the census without a citizenship Q, and advised the printer to begin the printing process. An administration official said at the time that Trump had been advised of the decision.

Users who are viewing this thread