What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Surprise Birthday Party For Spouses (1 Viewer)

James Daulton

Footballguy
Anybody else do this for the big birthdays?  Just pulled this off for the wife's 50'th, rented a room above a local establishment and had about 50 people there.  I'm fairly certain that nothing at work has come close to the stress and pressure of organizing and pulling off the surprise.  Like herding freaking cats.

But all ended well and my game of Friends vs Family Feud mid-way through was the stuff of legend.  It helped to have a drunk BIL as the host.

Still, would not do again.

Anybody else do this for the big birthdays?  Just pulled this off for the wife's 50'th, rented a room above a local establishment and had about 50 people there.  I'm fairly certain that nothing at work has come close to the stress and pressure of organizing and pulling off the surprise.  Like herding freaking cats.

But all ended well and my game of Friends vs Family Feud mid-way through was the stuff of legend.  It helped to have a drunk BIL as the host.

Still, would not do again.
Chuck E Cheese? 

The rain will take care of the eggs.

And I planned and surprised my wife last year for her 40th.  All without whining like some broad.
I came across as whining?  Ok, my bad.   More relief than anything else.  What'd you do for your wife?  Get her a no sex with CCC2 for a year card?  She'd love that. 

I did this for my wife’s 40th a couple years back and was amazed I pulled it off. Funny thing was that I didn’t tell my two kids who were 5&6 at the time and they almost #### themselves when we walked in and everybody yelled surprise. The week leading up to the party my wife was being a total ##### to me because she was convinced I wasn’t throwing her a party. I ended up telling her we were going out to dinner with her immediate family and one couple and was taking daggers all night from her as she was disappointed. Had it in a private room of an Italian restaurant with great food. The open bar tab hit the wallet pretty hard but all in all a great night.

I did one for my wife’s 40th a couple of years ago.  Thankfully a good neighbor friend helped me pull it off.  She and my kids decorated the house while I took her to dinner.  We had cake and drinks.  Low key and a good time.

I did one for my wife's 40th birthday even though she explicitly told me she didn't want a party. She meant it too, it wasn't a fake "oh don't throw a party but I secretly want one". Luckily she took it well and enjoyed it. 

I started planning about 6 months in advance since I invited all of her siblings and other friends that may have needed to travel from out of town. I invited all of her local friends and everyone from her office. I'm still amazed nobody in her office spoiled the surprise. My sister supplied the wine and I had labels made with various pictures of my wife throughout her life. I asked her family and friends to write some happy birthday messages and had those printed for the labels on the back. 

Party was on a Saturday at our house. She and I went out to dinner on Friday night when all of her family was arriving. They were waiting for us back at the house after dinner. I didn't tell her about the party until the next day. We ended up with about 50 people. I told her for her 50th I'll do it a year early so she doesn't see it coming. She has assured me that will NOT happen. I figure getting away with it once in a lifetime is enough.  

Wife was in a so-so place a few years back with job/life so I threw together a gathering at a local Hibachi place she likes.  Damn near took up both halves of all 5 tables.  The owner was thrilled with me and still comes over and shakes my hand when I come in because we packed the house on a Tuesday night.

as a guy I'd think it was a pain in the ###.  The women love this #### though.

I did one for my wife for her 40th.  Cool local place where we took over outside patio.  Knew the bartender, slipped him a C note and he kept them coming all night.  Good food, dancing etc, 25 people or so but all in it was a few grand.  I have a couple who work for me on the sales team and she just threw him a surprise 50th.  Dropped 40 G's.  To me that's obscene but whatever.  I'm all for a big trip to celebrate a major birthday but I don't understand cracking the vault to throw a party. Wife feels the same way

I did one for my wife for her 40th.  Cool local place where we took over outside patio.  Knew the bartender, slipped him a C note and he kept them coming all night.  Good food, dancing etc, 25 people or so but all in it was a few grand.  I have a couple who work for me on the sales team and she just threw him a surprise 50th.  Dropped 40 G's.  To me that's obscene but whatever.  I'm all for a big trip to celebrate a major birthday but I don't understand cracking the vault to throw a party. Wife feels the same way
My wife would divorce or kill me if I spent 10% of that.

My wife is the kind that would love a surprise party, but knows I could never pull it off.  I did throw her a non-surprise party for her 40th.  It ended up being a lot of fun and a good time.  I have thought about trying to pull off a surprise party for her for her 50th, but she knows so many people from so many different places and I don't have contacts for them all, I would miss whole branches of friends.  Not worth the effort and hassle.

For her 50th I flew her two best friends and her sister into town and put them up in a hotel.  Also invited a few good local friends.  Took her to our favorite local restaurant and had the gang just walk on in.  Surprise!  It was basically a reunion and a birthday weekend.  Planned it two months prior.  Her friends' husbands were pissed at me, since they were on deck for throwing 50th b'day parties later that year.  I'm doghouse-proof now.

For her 50th I flew her two best friends and her sister into town and put them up in a hotel.  Also invited a few good local friends.  Took her to our favorite local restaurant and had the gang just walk on in.  Surprise!  It was basically a reunion and a birthday weekend.  Planned it two months prior.  Her friends' husbands were pissed at me, since they were on deck for throwing 50th b'day parties later that year.  I'm doghouse-proof now.
Ha, test that out and let me know how it works out for you.

For my wife's 50th, I got her a cake and a present, but pretended I didn't know her age. I still act like I don't know. I have never mentioned it and she hasn't either. Life and wife are happy!

One Friday my wife sent me a text reading "can we do McDonald's for dinner tonight? I want to make a dent in laundry and clean the first floor." I laughed.

A little while later she sent me a text that read "you know what will motivate me to stay up until 8 tonight? Pick your favorite seasonal beer. I laughed harder. 

Fast forward to after work, she gets home, running gear still on. Meanwhile my parents have been circling the block for about 20 minutes waiting for my text. They pulled into the driveway 2 mins later only to be greeted by a glare of utter disdain by my wife. 

"Surprise! Its date night!" This is not a good surprise - and stomps away. Took every ounce of energy not to laugh. 

30 mins later after she gets out of the shower - "where are we going?" A candlelight dinner on the beach (it's November in cleveland). "Not. In. The mood." More internal laughter. "Also, where are your parents staying?" (They live a couple hours away) "Here" (followed by divorce level death glares). 

After I get out of the shower one of our sons asks where we are going - some random Chinese restaurant in the hood. "He's just kidding, such a place doesn't exist. " I peak in and very seriously say oh yes it does, then walk away - knowing she would immediately Google and become even more furious.

As we are getting ready to leave she asks to go somewhere else she had been wanting to go to for months and I look at her and say I pulled a lot of strings to make this happen.  She shows me a picture of a restaurant that looks like a cafeteria (because it kinda is) and I nod approvingly then walk away. 

Those would be the last words she would say to me as we began the 25 minute drive, starting in our neighborhood and slowly getting deeper and deeper into the neighborhoods that dominate the local news. I can hear her gritting her teeth through the silence. How I never laughed I'll never know.

Then after we park she furiously marches in front of me planning to walk in, turn around and say, I don't care what you did we are ####### going somewhere else. Only she walked in to see 20 of her closest friends as well as a few other tables just enjoying their Friday night lo mein. She stopped, cracked a smile, then turned around to see my laughing like a hyena - "I ####### hate you." Then we had a great night. And she knows she will never get away from that story as long as she decides to deal with me. 

I did this for my wife’s 40th a couple years back and was amazed I pulled it off. Funny thing was that I didn’t tell my two kids who were 5&6 at the time and they almost #### themselves when we walked in and everybody yelled surprise. The week leading up to the party my wife was being a total ##### to me because she was convinced I wasn’t throwing her a party. I ended up telling her we were going out to dinner with her immediate family and one couple and was taking daggers all night from her as she was disappointed. Had it in a private room of an Italian restaurant with great food. The open bar tab hit the wallet pretty hard but all in all a great night.
That's almost exactly what I did for my wife's 50th.  I rented a private room at a very nice Italian restaurant.  There were about 60 guests and we had dinner, plenty of wine, and an open bar.  I think it ran about $6,000, but it was worth it.  I had to surreptitiously comb through all her various contacts to create a group email list but I don't think I overlooked anyone.  Her childhood, best friend, even came to town for it.  Great time.

My wife is a twin.  My brother-in-law and I managed to pull off a joint surprise party for their 40th.  It was quite an undertaking, but they had no idea it was happening.  It was worth it.  Great party...great memories.

I did a surprise party in Disney for my wife's birthday two years ago.  Took 6ish months to plan.  She still glows about it.

Between the venue, food, cake, and decorations I spent about $1k.  So for $1k I have something I can hold over her head the rest of her life.  I also did something similar for her 40th (just at a friend's house).  So that's now 2 I have to her 0 for me.  I guess she's just more lovable than me?    :shrug:

My in-laws were insistent on doing a surprise party for my wife's 30th birthday. I tried explaining to them that I did not want to do it and that my wife wouldn't want one, but that was unimportant to them. They wanted to throw a surprise party. My job was running interference, getting her out of the house all day and then getting her to the party on time. I had a perfect plan but my mother-in-law changed the plan last minute and I ended up fighting with my wife for several hours throughout the day. It ended my wife and I yelling at each other at a bar, she stormed out in tears and I had to chase her down to explain the surprise party. 

Yay surprise parties!

My in-laws were insistent on doing a surprise party for my wife's 30th birthday. I tried explaining to them that I did not want to do it and that my wife wouldn't want one, but that was unimportant to them. They wanted to throw a surprise party. My job was running interference, getting her out of the house all day and then getting her to the party on time. I had a perfect plan but my mother-in-law changed the plan last minute and I ended up fighting with my wife for several hours throughout the day. It ended my wife and I yelling at each other at a bar, she stormed out in tears and I had to chase her down to explain the surprise party. 

Yay surprise parties!
I love people that insist on doing something on your behalf even though you're adamantly against it as if you're 5 years old and you don't know what's best.  

I love people that insist on doing something on your behalf even though you're adamantly against it as if you're 5 years old and you don't know what's best.  
That is very much my mother-in-law's modus operandi. She wanted to throw a surprise party, my wife was just the convenient reason. It was the same with our wedding. I can't complain too much because it was a beautiful wedding and my in laws paid the bill, but our wedding was very much her parents social event. 

mr. furley said:
surprised my wife on her 42nd with a trip to one of these escape room places. me, her, her best friend & husband.

she nearly broke down from a panic attack and was irate with me the entire night :shrug:
Taking her to a haunted house was probably a better idea, champ.

Taking her to a haunted house was probably a better idea, champ.
:lmao: she loves horror shows, paranormal anything, etc. but haunted houses are just right out. someone would definitely wind up getting stabbed in that scenario. probably multiple people.

For my 40th my wife asked if she could take me for a long weekend to an unknown location to celebrate my birthday.  She did all the planning and I had no clue where we were going until we got to the airport and she handed me a plane ticket and a book she made showing our itinerary.  Ended up going to Scottsdale at a time share her parents allowed us to use and we also spent time visiting Sedona and the Grand Canyon over the weekend. 

She is turning 40 this June and I am doing the same thing for her.  She knows we are going away for a long weekend but has no clue where and what is planned.  I am going to take her to Nashville.  We have never been there - only driven by- so we both wanted to go back someday without kids.  She likes country music too.  Right now I have her faked out thinking we are going to Las Vegas so the surprise plan is working for now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Managed to do a twist on the surprise party for my wife.  She is a baseball fan but only when we go to the stadium for games. So I planned to take her for her Bday.  She knew we were going, but what she didn't know was the tickets were part of a 30 seat ticket package and I was able to get a group of friends and family to the game.  So each person that arrived got to say "Surprise" to her.  

And of course the Happy Birthday message on the scoreboard made her smile too.

Users who are viewing this thread