What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Biographies and Autobiorgraphies (1 Viewer)

On The Rocks

Evil Conservative
Looking to pack a couple of books away for vacation. 

Can you provide me with your top 2 or 3 Biographies and/or Autobiographies?

TIA

Any particular interests?  I read a lot of American history (currently running through biographies on the Presidents in consecutive order).

The Edmund Morris trilogy on Teddy Roosevelt mentioned above is great.  Caro on LBJ is up there too.  For a one volume, Chernow's biographies on Washington, Grant, and Hamilton are awesome.

Manchester's The Last Lion on Churchill is another of my favorites.

if you want something less heavy (since you're on vacation): Ozzy by Ozzy Osbourne; All the Dirt by Motley Crue; or The Chris Farley Show are all very good. 

Any particular interests?  I read a lot of American history (currently running through biographies on the Presidents in consecutive order).

The Edmund Morris trilogy on Teddy Roosevelt mentioned above is great.  Caro on LBJ is up there too.  For a one volume, Chernow's biographies on Washington, Grant, and Hamilton are awesome.

Manchester's The Last Lion on Churchill is another of my favorites.
Any category is worthy of a suggestion, I'll know it when I see it.  Malcom X and Churchill sound like good options. 
I've read the Teddy R books, they're great!  I've read Chernow's Washington and Hamilton but not Grant.  Good option.

Open to Political, Sports or Entertainment options. 

Goodbye to All That - Robert Graves' (WWI poet) autobiography.  Must-read when on a WWI bender.

The Wright Brothers (or John Adams) - David McCullough (excellent history/biography author)

Yeager - Chuck Yeager and Leo Janos

If you're looking for something a little outside your normal range, I'd give Bret Hart's autobiography a try.

Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling

I read it a few years back and I thought it was outstanding. I was a big wrestling fan back in the day, so that's what led me to it, but it's highly regarded by those even without previous interest.

Good call. It's been about 15 years since I read this book. Need to find my copy and re-read it sometime.
:thumbup:  I've never viewed ants the same way after reading Feynman's autobiography.  And the part about combination locks pops in mind whenever I want to assign a password because it is easy to remember.   

Everybody was so Young about the Murphys, a  young wealthy couple that were at the center of Paris Lost War culture. They had encounters with Picasso, Hemingway and were part of the inspiration for Fitzgerald's last great novel.

Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher: The Epic Life and Immortal Photographs of  Edward Curtis  He was a photographer that set out in the late 1800s to capture what he considered the end of a way of life: the American West and the Native American people. 

Not a biography but "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin is the best book I've ever read. Details Lincoln's cabinet, focusing on his handling of the diverse personalities that made it up, including three members who thought they would win the 1860 Republican nomination--Seward, Chase and Bates. Details each of the four's upbringings and careers to 1860 and then the five years following.

For strictly a biography, "JFK: An Unfinished Life" by Robert Dalleck is great too.

1950s senator (not JFK) to priest: "Father, do you look at the country and pray for the Senate?"

Priest: "No, I look at the Senate and pray for the country." :lol:

I highly recommend "The Man Who Loved Only Numbers" about Paul Erdos, the most prolific mathematician in history. Very interesting read even if you don't like math. And if you do like math, you'll love the stories about Erdos.

enjoying the autobiography of astronaut Scott Kelly entitled "Endurance". He's set the record for time spent on the ISS, much of it on his own.

I recently finished the Bruce Springsteen autobiography Born to Run. Its a pretty easy read. I found myself re-listening to his albums and hearing then differently. It is also quite touching at some points. There was a lot more to the Boss then I realized.

Warren Zevons I'll sleep when I'm dead is also a good read.
I've had this recommended in the past.  I heard an interview with Billy Bob Thornton, he said they were neighbors for a stretch and they connected and hit it off as good friends.  He said they both had severe OCD which helped their initial connection. 

I've settled on Papa Bear: The Life and Legacy of George Halas

I'm also looking to delve into a biography of Martin Luther King Jr.  Is there a consensus on what would be considered the best Bio on MLK?

When I was in college and spent a semester in Spain, I stumbled across Sam Huff's "autobiography", Tough Stuff.  He's practically a real-life Forrest Gump.  For anyone who listened to the Washington Redskins games on the radio in the 80's, this is a must-read.

Users who are viewing this thread