What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sinclair Broadcast Group - Mass Propaganda (1 Viewer)

https://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2017/07/10/boris-epshteyn-sinclair-broadcasting-240359

Even while under fire for requiring its outlets to run conservative content, Sinclair Broadcast Group is increasing the "must-run" segments across its affiliates featuring former Trump White House official Boris Epshteyn to nine times a week, the company confirmed on Monday.

The move comes as the company is seeking to dramatically expand its holdings by purchasing Tribune Media for $3.9 billion, which would make it the largest local television operator in the country, with more than 200 stations.

So funny to watch Fake News Networks, among the most dishonest groups of people I have ever dealt with, criticize Sinclair Broadcasting for being biased. Sinclair is far superior to CNN and even more Fake NBC, which is a total joke.

I know I'm naive about some things.  I think this is clearly wrong, but how dangerous is it?  Who watches local tv news?  Maybe I'm just mostly experience with my own cohort, but my some people in age group don't even know what local tv news is.  We get our news from the instagram and Marvel movies.  The people that watch local tv news are olds that already a)  have their political opinions and likely match Sinclair's and b) are 1 foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.  So if I'm right (and I'm probably not so please learn me) then it affects no real people.

Last edited by a moderator:
So funny to watch Fake News Networks, among the most dishonest groups of people I have ever dealt with, criticize Sinclair Broadcasting for being biased. Sinclair is far superior to CNN and even more Fake NBC, which is a total joke.
^ This is a Trump quote, right? :confused:

I know I'm naive about some things.  I think this is clearly wrong, but how dangerous is it?  Who watches local tv news?  Maybe I'm just mostly experience with my own cohort, but my some people in age group don't even know what local tv news is.  We get our news from the innernets and stuff.  The people that watch local tv news are olds that already a)  have their political opinions and likely match Sinclair's and b) are 1 foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.  So if I'm right (and I'm probably not so please learn me) then it affects no real people.
See the impact FoxNews has had on our country and our current political environment.

Sinclair is potentially worse than State TV.

Much, much worse.

See the impact FoxNews has had on our country and our current political environment.

Sinclair is potentially worse than State TV.

Much, much worse.
FoxNews came to height when everyone's primary news source was cable TV.  Sinclair's propaganda medium is going backwards to broadcast tv, while larger generations' news sources are become more advanced.

I agree that it's dangerous, but it also seems like they are operating within the law and within the spirit of the Constitution.....sooooooo.....what are we supposed to do about it?

Seems like the best course of action is to continue exposing Sinclair as a D-list propaganda machine, and the market will ultimately decide Sinclair's fate.

I agree that it's dangerous, but it also seems like they are operating within the law and within the spirit of the Constitution.....sooooooo.....what are we supposed to do about it?

Seems like the best course of action is to continue exposing Sinclair as a D-list propaganda machine, and the market will ultimately decide Sinclair's fate.
Be aware?

Change the channel?

Tweet at their journalists and make fun of them?

yep.  work on their advertisers.

Maybe I shouldn't do this, but I'm curious to know what Riversco thinks about Sinclair.  I won't @ him for everyone's sake.

I know I'm naive about some things.  I think this is clearly wrong, but how dangerous is it?  Who watches local tv news?  Maybe I'm just mostly experience with my own cohort, but my some people in age group don't even know what local tv news is.  We get our news from the instagram and Marvel movies.  The people that watch local tv news are olds that already a)  have their political opinions and likely match Sinclair's and b) are 1 foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.  So if I'm right (and I'm probably not so please learn me) then it affects no real people.
I would guess there is a correlation between age and hours spent watching local news. We also know those older people vote more so this is a really effective strategy IMO. Plus people tend to trust their local anchors more than they would National anchors. The local anchors live in your community, they are more like normal people. So if they validate the idea that Trump isn't being treated fairly or that CNN are liars, it can help assure someone that might have been having doubts. 

Also, this means  it is just a matter of time before they are doing the same thing with fitness models on IG and super heroes on Marvel movies. 

The law needs to change.

https://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2017/07/10/boris-epshteyn-sinclair-broadcasting-240359

Even while under fire for requiring its outlets to run conservative content, Sinclair Broadcast Group is increasing the "must-run" segments across its affiliates featuring former Trump White House official Boris Epshteyn to nine times a week, the company confirmed on Monday.

The move comes as the company is seeking to dramatically expand its holdings by purchasing Tribune Media for $3.9 billion, which would make it the largest local television operator in the country, with more than 200 stations.
Am I the only one who thinks it's funny that Boris Epshteyn is the face out in front of this pushing values to the red hats.

New York Magazine attempted to interview the Chairman of Sinclair for an article. His response included:

“Appreciate the interest in your wanting to do a story but we don’t talk to the print media as a general principal as we find them to be so devoid of reality and serving no real purpose. Have a great holiday. Again my experience has consistently been that even with an interview it’s of no consequence in terms of spin, facts or distortion, political bent etc. The print media is so left wing as to be meaningless dribble which accounts for why the industry is and will fade away. Just no credibility. see ya."

1. not sure what he meant by "general principal". (Headmaster at West Point, maybe?)
2. "have a great holiday" = he's obviously on the wrong side of the War On Christmas.
3. I'm guessing he meant to write "meaningless drivel", not "meaningless dribble". (Or was he making a social commentary on Lebron's lack of traveling calls?)
4. it seems to, me, that he could have used another comma or two in there, at some point in terms of grammar, syntax or punctuation and sentence structure, etc.

WMSN/FOX47 in Madison is Sinclair owned and didn’t read the statement.
Sinclair affiliate WMSN refuses to air mandatory ‘fake news’ promo

Apparently what’s being called Sinclair’s “must-run promo” wasn’t all that “must-run” after all.

The Madison, Wisconsin Fox affiliate tweeted Monday that it did not run a Sinclair Broadcast Group promotional announcement warning about “fake news.”

TV station WMSN, channel 47, took to Twitter to wash its hands of the “must-run promo,” which Deadspin turned into an internet meme, and the cause of much liberal consternation, using footage of anchors in different cities reading the identical piece.

“WMSN/FOX47 Madison did not air the Sinclair promotional announcement during our 9pm news this weekend. Rather, we stayed true to our commitment to provide our Madison area viewers local news, weather and sports of interest to them,” the station said.

Tweet:
FOX 47 Madison ✔ @fox47madisonIn response to the Sinclair message aired: "WMSN/FOX47 Madison did not air the Sinclair promotional announcement during our 9pm news this weekend. Rather, we stayed true to our commitment to provide our Madison area viewers local news, weather and sports of interest to them."

In barely an hour, Fox 47’s posting had been retweeted almost 700 times and garnered more than 2,500 likes.

Sinclair employees say their contracts make it too expensive to quit. according to copies reviewed by Bloomberg:

—Six-month noncompete clause

—Forced arbitration

—Damages clause requires they pay as much as 40% of their annual compensation to leave early

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-03/sinclair-employees-say-their-contracts-make-it-too-expensive-to-quit
I have a hard time believing that this is enforceable. Any lawyers care to chime in?

The tiny TV market in my area is served by Gray Television. They control local NBC, Fox, CBS, and MeTV/MyNetworks in the area and provide a great option for TV via antennae. I know 3 people that work for the company: a tech guy that manages satellite/antennae signals, a marketing guy for local commercials, and the host/anchor for the morning show on NBC before/during the Today Show.

Gray television does have some content that is "must air". The satellite guy also downloads must air content, but those are light topics/personal interest segements like Moms Everyday, Mr. Food, For your health, etc.

Marketing guy has a great deal of control locally, but Gray has their own marketing targets and ad input to a certain level. 

The morning anchor lives a couple of doors down from me. I've gotten to know her a bit since she got the morning show last fall. While in college she interned at a Sinclair owned station. Stated flat out she would never work for Sinclair.

Joe Summer said:
New York Magazine attempted to interview the Chairman of Sinclair for an article. His response included:

“Appreciate the interest in your wanting to do a story but we don’t talk to the print media as a general principal as we find them to be so devoid of reality and serving no real purpose. Have a great holiday. Again my experience has consistently been that even with an interview it’s of no consequence in terms of spin, facts or distortion, political bent etc. The print media is so left wing as to be meaningless dribble which accounts for why the industry is and will fade away. Just no credibility. see ya."

1. not sure what he meant by "general principal". (Headmaster at West Point, maybe?)
2. "have a great holiday" = he's obviously on the wrong side of the War On Christmas.
3. I'm guessing he meant to write "meaningless drivel", not "meaningless dribble". (Or was he making a social commentary on Lebron's lack of traveling calls?)
4. it seems to, me, that he could have used another comma or two in there, at some point in terms of grammar, syntax or punctuation and sentence structure, etc.
I don’t respond to print media because I can’t read good. 

I (43) watch our local news :oldunsure:

We have lots of local activities and crazy crap going on around here so it's pretty good most of the time.  I rarely watch it for the "national" segments...I sort of zone out then come back for the weather/sports.

ETA:  That said, the local that I watch is a CBS affiliate...hotter personalities  :thumbup:  

I (43) watch our local news :oldunsure:

We have lots of local activities and crazy crap going on around here so it's pretty good most of the time.  I rarely watch it for the "national" segments...I sort of zone out then come back for the weather/sports.

ETA:  That said, the local that I watch is a CBS affiliate...hotter personalities  :thumbup:  
Me too, but not everyday. Local news is pretty much the only news I watch actually 

Politics and editorial viewpoint aside is this really much different than what Ted Turner accomplished in the dawn of cable? 

Do we have an accurate estimate of their reach?  Are they changing viewpoints or preaching to the choir?  Are they giving isolationist the tools to isolate themselves, and if so what challenges does that bring for being united as a people (a pipe dream I know)

Ditkaless Wonders said:

Politics and editorial viewpoint aside is this really much different than what Ted Turner accomplished in the dawn of cable?
It's true that both Turner and Sinclair had the ability to broadcast a singular message to millions of households throughout the country.......but the only people who watched Turner's network were people who paid for the privilege, and they could cancel at any time.

Turner did not have the ability to force local stations to run his programming, because he did not own those stations and they could turn off the signal at any time.

The 'beware fake news' messaging sure sounds an awful lot like the lamenting people were doing when they blamed fake news for Trump's win.  It even calls out 'posts shared on social media.'  Then Trump usurped the fake news meme and weaponized it against his opponents.  Guess it was a really stupid and careless idea to malign peripheral news outlets like that.  As if MSM hasn't been a straightup propaganda machine for US imperialism for a long time now.  

I don't think that's a necessarily proTrump message so much as a pro-Establishment message, although Sinclair does appear to be in the tank for Trump.  Old news is the arbiter of truth, not those shaky social media articles.  

Users who are viewing this thread