What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official 2018 Masters Thread** (1 Viewer)

I do an annual Majors pool with some friends.  Here are the results if anyone cares.  6 GMs pick 7 golfers.  Your top 4 scores make your score and if you have more than 4 miss the cut, it's very bad.  

R1 Speith (Me), Thomas, DJ, Rory, Rose, Tiger

R2 Day, Rahm, Fowler. Phil, Bubba, Fleetwood (me)

R3 Casey (me), Stenson, Matsuyama, Kuchar, Garcia, Noren

R4 Reed, Leishman, Kisner, Koepka, Poulter, Hatton (me)

R5 Dechambeau (me), Oostie, Scott, Finau, Bello, Branden Grace

R6 Brenden Steele, Apihbarnrat, Xander, F Molineri, Pieters, Moore (me)

R7 Hoffman (me), Harman, Zach, Schwartzl

Two picks to go

My team is:

Spieth, Fleetwood, Casey, Hatton, Dechambeau, Moore, Hoffman

Any big gaffes?  Anyone I should switch?  Someone who knows golf suggested switching Henley for Hoffman.  

Saw Tiger & Mickelson played a practice round together this morning, talking the ins & outs of the course as they shot. That'd be a nice new Masters tradition, maybe - a foursome with them, the reigning champ or a golf legend/newcomer, and a newsmaker or make-a-wish-er as the fourth, telecast for charity. I'd shonuff watch.

Saw Tiger & Mickelson played a practice round together this morning, talking the ins & outs of the course as they shot. That'd be a nice new Masters tradition, maybe - a foursome with them, the reigning champ or a golf legend/newcomer, and a newsmaker or make-a-wish-er as the fourth, telecast for charity. I'd shonuff watch.
Man, I'd love to watch that.  I love everything about the Masters, but for many tournaments, I get a little sick of the heavy focus on the putts.  Some of that occurs at the Masters, too, which is why the Thursday/Friday coverage is enjoyable ...a number of different camera angles.

10 man draft,

who you got?

1.Dustin Johnson.....Thomas Pieters.....Tony Finau.....Pat Perez.....Webb Simpson.....Billy Horschel
2.Justin Thomas.....Tommy Fleetwood.....Adam Scott.....Brian Harman.....Russell Henley.....Austin Cook
3.Phil Mickelson.....Ian Poulter.....Henrik Stenson.....Adam Hadwin.....Brendan Steele.....Martin Kaymer
4.Rory McIlroy.....Alex Noren.....Charl Schwartzel.....Daniel Berger.....Ryan Moore.....Ross Fisher
5.Tiger Woods.....Patrick Reed.....Marc Leishman.....Rafael Cabrera Bello.....Gary Woodland.....Kyle Stanley
6.Jordan Spieth.....Matt Kuchar.....Louie Oosthuizen.....Zach Johnson.....Cameron Smith.....Fred Couples
7.Justin Rose.....Sergio Garcia.....Charley Hoffman.....Tyrell Hatton.....Matt Fitzpatrick.....Jimmy Walker
8.Jon Rahm.....Hideki Matsuyama.....Bryson DeChambeau.....Xander Schauffele.....Kiradech Aphibarnrat.....Shubhankar Sharma
9.Paul Casey.....Rickie Fowler.....Kevin Kisner.....Branden Grace.....Bernd Weisberger.....Patton Kizzire
10.Jason Day.....Bubba Watson.....Kevin Chappell.....Patrick Cantaly.....Jason Dufner.....Francesco Molinari

Anyone been to the Masters? I went the year bubba won his 2nd. Sat in the bleachers on 15 green which gives you a view of 16 (par 3, water) as well. 

There's a food/drink pavilion nearby everything is cheap. Saw Alonzo mourning, he looked great. 

Probably the coolest live event I've ever been to. 99.9% of the people are on good behavior no cell phones, everyone is chill and the course is amazing. If you ever get a chance, just drop everything and go

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone been to the Masters? I went the year bubba won his 2nd. Sat in the bleachers on 15 green which gives you a view of 16 (par 3, water) as well. 

There's a food/drink pavilion nearby everything is cheap. Saw Alonzo mourning, he looked great. 

Probably the coolest love event I've ever been to. 99.9% of the people are on good behavior no cell phones, everyone is chill and the course is amazing. If you ever get a chance, just drop everything and go
Grounds and staff are amazing.  People eating, drinking and smoking everywhere and did not see any paper, cups or butts on the ground in 8 hours.

I do an annual Majors pool with some friends.  Here are the results if anyone cares.  6 GMs pick 7 golfers.  Your top 4 scores make your score and if you have more than 4 miss the cut, it's very bad.  

Two picks to go

My team is:

Any big gaffes?  Anyone I should switch?  Someone who knows golf suggested switching Henley for Hoffman.  
I love your team.  

10 man draft,

who you got?

1.Dustin Johnson.....Thomas Pieters.....Tony Finau.....Pat Perez.....Webb Simpson.....Billy Horschel
2.Justin Thomas.....Tommy Fleetwood.....Adam Scott.....Brian Harman.....Russell Henley.....Austin Cook
3.Phil Mickelson.....Ian Poulter.....Henrik Stenson.....Adam Hadwin.....Brendan Steele.....Martin Kaymer
4.Rory McIlroy.....Alex Noren.....Charl Schwartzel.....Daniel Berger.....Ryan Moore.....Ross Fisher
5.Tiger Woods.....Patrick Reed.....Marc Leishman.....Rafael Cabrera Bello.....Gary Woodland.....Kyle Stanley
6.Jordan Spieth.....Matt Kuchar.....Louie Oosthuizen.....Zach Johnson.....Cameron Smith.....Fred Couples
7.Justin Rose.....Sergio Garcia.....Charley Hoffman.....Tyrell Hatton.....Matt Fitzpatrick.....Jimmy Walker
8.Jon Rahm.....Hideki Matsuyama.....Bryson DeChambeau.....Xander Schauffele.....Kiradech Aphibarnrat.....Shubhankar Sharma
9.Paul Casey.....Rickie Fowler.....Kevin Kisner.....Branden Grace.....Bernd Weisberger.....Patton Kizzire
10.Jason Day.....Bubba Watson.....Kevin Chappell.....Patrick Cantaly.....Jason Dufner.....Francesco Molinari
9.  but only because I think casey is going to win it.  Those teams are fairly even across the board.

I was there in 2004 - the year after Mike Weir won (that's how I remember)

"A grass museum" is a good way of putting it.  I was only there for the Wed and Thu practice round (and par 3 on Wed, of course). Seeing it on TV does not do it justice. They say it all the time and everyone has heard that phrase before but it's true. The elevation changes alone are pretty staggering. It's a work of art.

I put my name in the lottery every year (aside from 1, or 2 where I forgot) and still haven't won the opportunity to buy again.  I'll keep trying though.

chet said:
But Hadwin's not on it.  

Do you know enough that I should be happy that you love my team?
lol.  I follow golf pretty closely, but that hardly means I know a lot.

I love the Spieth pick at #1.  he isn't getting a lot of respect for a guy that has owned Augusta National

I love the Spieth pick at #1.  he isn't getting a lot of respect for a guy that has owned Augusta National
What about Henley for Hoffman?  My friend who plays DF golf says that's the only move he'd make.  Thoughts?

What about Henley for Hoffman?  My friend who plays DF golf says that's the only move he'd make.  Thoughts?
I like Hoffman.  But I can understand going Henley there.  Not much help, I know.  For me it is just that I could see Charlie having the temperment to handle the Sunday pressure if he gets into contention.  I don;t see either winning though, and based on your format you almost certainly will need to have the winner.

A Canadian book that I use has given Spieth the shortest odds to win (+1034) so he's getting some respect from them.

I'd stick with Hoffman but could see an argument for Cantlay or Cameron Smith. 

tommyboy said:

Probably the coolest live event I've ever been to. 99.9% of the people are on good behavior no cell phones, everyone is chill and the course is amazing. If you ever get a chance, just drop everything and go
:thumbup: I was there also that year (Sat/Sun) and the year prior (Tuesday/Wednesday,Par 3 tourney).  Was in line at 4:30am to get front row 18th green spot. Didn't realize they let the club members/guests in about 30 minutes prior to general public. Still ended up in 4th row. Started walking around a bit mostly around amen corner and 15/16, then sat at 7th green (can see 2nd green and 3rd tee) then moved to our seats on the 18th as they finished.  The first year I was there, they had a severe storm during the night and they delayed the opening of the course a couple hours. When they finally opened the course, there was not a fallen leaf/branch to be found. Wife enjoyed not having to wait in line for the bathrooms.

Phil is easily the best interview out there.  His presser was money.  He said, with a straight face, that he thought his dress shirt looked good.  lol.

chet said:

Two picks to go

My team is:

When you say the results are bad, are they just eliminated? Is 4 golfers the baseline to win?

When you say the results are bad, are they just eliminated? Is 4 golfers the baseline to win?
If you only have 3 or fewer golfers make the cut in any major, you take on the highest score for the day to get you to 4 golfers.  If this happens, you're certainly out of the money for that major and probably for the total of the 4 majors as well.

Has Spieth lost weight? He looked scrawny live at the Valspar I thought...and just saw the ‘14/‘15 highlights and he definitely looked thicker.

Has Spieth lost weight? He looked scrawny live at the Valspar I thought...and just saw the ‘14/‘15 highlights and he definitely looked thicker.
i noticed that too.  I also thought he doesn't look quite right.  something seems off.  but, he owns this course.  hard to see him outside the top ten, and if I was doing the odds, he would have the best to win.  the kid is pure ice in big events.

If you only have 3 or fewer golfers make the cut in any major, you take on the highest score for the day to get you to 4 golfers.  If this happens, you're certainly out of the money for that major and probably for the total of the 4 majors as well.
so it is the total score of your group of four relative to par?  Way better way to do it (than earnings).

i noticed that too.  I also thought he doesn't look quite right.  something seems off.  but, he owns this course.  hard to see him outside the top ten, and if I was doing the odds, he would have the best to win.  the kid is pure ice in big events.
Hookers n blow

Justin Rose came so close last year.  He gets it done this year.  Just hoping for a top 20 finish for Tiger and at least flirting with top 10 on the weekend.  At least.  

Thursday Featured Groups Announced

Tuesday, April 03, 2018

Masters digital platforms will stream a Featured Groups channel. This offering, which will begin approximately five minutes before the first tee time, will provide 18-hole, spotlight coverage of two select groupings during both morning and afternoon play.

Thursday, April 5

10:09 a.m. – Hideki Matsuyama, Patton Kizzire, Paul Casey

10:42 a.m. – Tiger Woods, Marc Leishman, Tommy Fleetwood

1:38 p.m. – Adam Scott, Rory McIlroy, Jon Rahm

2:00 p.m. – Justin Rose, Dustin Johnson, Rafael Cabrera Bellowed 

Does anyone do one of those pools where you pick a guy from column A, another from B, two longshots, etc or something similar? I've been in one for a few years for all the majors but the guy who runs it is on vacation and just told us he's not running it for the Masters. 

If anyone has a good list for this or even better, a tracking spreadsheet, or knows a site with one, please shoot me a PM cause I'd love to run this with a smaller group if I can turn it around quickly. Thanks. 

Does anyone do one of those pools where you pick a guy from column A, another from B, two longshots, etc or something similar? I've been in one for a few years for all the majors but the guy who runs it is on vacation and just told us he's not running it for the Masters. 

If anyone has a good list for this or even better, a tracking spreadsheet, or knows a site with one, please shoot me a PM cause I'd love to run this with a smaller group if I can turn it around quickly. Thanks. 
Not quite the list thing you have done. But we do this based on current rankings. Pick one from each group, if your five guys finish, 3rd, 10th, 22nd, 28th, and 41st, your total score is “104”. If a golfer misses the cut, you get “CUT +1” for their score. Lowest score wins.

This year because of Tiger being such an favorite in such a low group we are picking one extra player from group 2 - 6.

*GROUP 1*

Dustin Johnson (1)
Justin Thomas (2)
Jon Rahm (3)
Jordan Spieth (4)
Justin Rose (5)
Hideki Matsuyama (6)
Rory McIlroy (7)
Rickie Fowler (8)
Sergio Garcia (9)
Brooks Koepka (10)

--------------------------------

*GROUP 2*

Jason Day (11)
Tommy Fleetwood (12)
Paul Casey (13)
Henrik Stenson (14)
Alex Noren (15)
Marc Leishman (16)
Tyrrell Hatton (17)
Phil Mickelson (18)
Bubba Watson (19)
Matt Kuchar (20)

-------------------------------

*GROUP 3*

Pat Perez (21)
Rafael Cabrera-Bello (22)
Brian Harman (23)
Patrick Reed (24)
Kevin Kisner (25)
Xander Schauffle (26)
Francesco Molinari (27)
Charley Hoffman (28)
Ian Poulter (29)
Kiradech Aphibarnrat (30)

------------------------------

*GROUP 4*

Louis Oosthuizen (31)
Gary Woodland (32)
Branden Grace (33)
Tony Finau (34)
Patrick Cantlay (35)
Ross Fisher (36)
Daniel Berger (37)
Matthew Fitzpatrick (38)
Kevin Chappell (39)
Brendan Steele (40)

------------------------------             

*GROUP 5*

Webb Simpson (41)
HaoTong Li (42)
Adam Hadwin (43)
Kyle Stanley (44)
Cameron Smith (45)
Thomas Pieters (46)
Chez Reavie (47)
Satoshi Kodaira (48)
Jason Dufner (49)
Dylan Frittelli (50)

-------------------------------

*GROUP 6* 

Si Woo Kim (51)
Patton Kizzire (52)
Russell Henley (53)
Jhonattan Vegas (54)
Yuta Ikeda (55)
Zach Johnson (56)
Adam Scott (60)
Bryson DeChambeau (63)
Ryan Moore (66)
Billy Horschel (85)
Martin Kaymer (90)
Wesley Bryan (92)
Tiger Woods (103)
Austin Cook (111)
Trevor Immelman (N/A)
Fred Couples (N/A)
Bernhard Langer (N/A)
Sandy Lyle (N/A)
Larry Mize (N/A)
Mark O’Meara (N/A)
Jose Maria Olazabal (N/A)
Mike Weir (N/A)
Ian Woosnam (N/A)

Anyone else going Thurs Fri? 

Got the early flight. Not sure what the plan is for pm. Some in the group say at like 4pm people try to dump their wed. Pass for like 100 bucks just so I can go nose around for a bit. 

#lookatme 

The question is what should I shout?

As soon as I get in the air ill send you mine. Shoot me a pm with your email asap. 

Not quite the list thing you have done. But we do this based on current rankings. Pick one from each group, if your five guys finish, 3rd, 10th, 22nd, 28th, and 41st, your total score is “104”. If a golfer misses the cut, you get “CUT +1” for their score. Lowest score wins.

This year because of Tiger being such an favorite in such a low group we are picking one extra player from group 2 - 6.
Awesome, can work off this. Thanks!

As soon as I get in the air ill send you mine. Shoot me a pm with your email asap. 
Done

Should I bet $500 on the top 4 (score wise) from my group:

Spieth
Fleetwood
Casey
Hatton
Dechambeau
Moore
Hoffman

versus the top 4 from this group?

McIlroy
Fowler
Kuchar
Kisner
Finau
Xander
Schwartzel

Should I bet $500 on the top 4 (score wise) from my group:

Spieth
Fleetwood
Casey
Hatton
Dechambeau
Moore
Hoffman

versus the top 4 from this group?

McIlroy
Fowler
Kuchar
Kisner
Finau
Xander
Schwartzel
How's about a nice, greezy pork sandwich, served in a dirty ashtray?

10 man draft,

who you got?

team 9 will win

Users who are viewing this thread