What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"We Built This Playlist on Schlock n Roll" - 8th/9th round Thurs 10th round Fri (1 Viewer)

The "We Built This City" thread proved that the songs we love to hate are the same songs that somebody else hates to love or some other permutations of love and hate.

So here's the deal and the rules are much simpler than usual.

1.  Draft ten songs, two each from the 50s/60s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and 21st century.  
2.  The songs had to have charted on US Pop Top 40, which coincidently makes only one Rush song eligible.  The songs should be part of the pop culture canon, not obscurities or deep tracks.
3.  The songs have to be schlock.  Merriam Webster defines schlock as a noun meaning "of low quality or value" but you can define it however you like relative to your picks.  But be prepared to defend why you think a song is schlock.  Reference link for top fortyness.
4.  THE GIMMICK:  One song from each era should be a schlocky song you love and the other has to be a song you hate .  Music drafts are an excuse to discuss and this format provides two obvious avenues: is it schlock and why you love/hate it.

I think playlists would work out better if we did them collaboratively by era. The transitions would be better and drafters wouldn't have to own their tastes.  I don't know whether to split the love & hate lists but we can figure that out later.

Last edited by a moderator:
IN. 

(tbh, shlocky songs are my weakness/greatest guilty pleasure - rev it up)

My only apprehension is with the part about drafting songs I don’t like. I’m not sure how fun that part is.

My only apprehension is with the part about drafting songs I don’t like. I’m not sure how fun that part is.
Were you around for the "Worst Songs Of All Time" draft? It was years ago and might have gotten nipped in one of the Great Purges. It may have had the best first round of any draft I've seen here. The write-ups were epic.

If this is a prevailing opinion, we could make it two schlocky  ongs you love each decade.  But a lot of the chatter in the WBTC thread was from people posting "so and so is the worst song ever" so I stuck with that for the draft.

If this is a prevailing opinion, we could make it two schlocky  ongs you love each decade.  But a lot of the chatter in the WBTC thread was from people posting "so and so is the worst song ever" so I stuck with that for the draft.
For whatever it's worth, I vote for your original idea. I like the dichotomy. Plus, one person's good trash is another's bad trash and those comments are always fun.

Were you around for the "Worst Songs Of All Time" draft? It was years ago and might have gotten nipped in one of the Great Purges. It may have had the best first round of any draft I've seen here. The write-ups were epic.
I wasn’t around. Don’t change it on my account, just wasn’t sure about that part. 

I can think of the songs I love off the top of my head.  The toughest part will be choosing just one.

The schlongs I hate may take more research.

I can think of the songs I love off the top of my head.  The toughest part will be choosing just one.

The schlongs I hate may take more research.
Are their any artist/same-song-different-version limitations? I don't think that'll be an issue here, but......

Are their any artist/same-song-different-version limitations? I don't think that'll be an issue here, but......
I think most nerds self-police on this one. 

The one explicit rule is no duplication of songs; if you pick a song you hate, I can't pick the same one to love (although arguing in the thread over your misguided hatred is strongly encouraged).

A schlocky song you love from the 50/60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 21st Century

A schlocky song you hate from each of the same time periods

Ten songs in all
I feel like I will struggle a bit narrowing it down to just one horrible song - especially from the 90s

Initiating draft randomization process (1/3)

Alphabetized drafter list

Bruce Dickenson
Dr. Octopus
eephus
Hov34
Ilov80s
krista4
Mister CIA
Mrs. Rannous
Northern Voice
otb_lifer
PIK95
rockaction
ScottNorwood
Sullie
Uruk-Hai
wikkidpissah

draft randomization 3/3

RPG Library Secure Dice generated the following rolls for .

16d1000, rolled once.

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 90, 616, 266, 202, 629, 565, 644, 576, 9, 443, 875, 808, 742, 681, 751, 183

DRAFT ORDER

PIK95    875
rockaction    808
Uruk-Hai    751
ScottNorwood    742
Sullie    681
Mister CIA    644
Ilov80s    629
Dr. Octopus    616
Mrs. Rannous    576
krista4    565
otb_lifer    443
eephus    266
Hov34    202
wikkidpissah    183
Bruce Dickenson    90
Northern Voice    9

1.1 Cotton Eyed Joe - Redneckz 1994

Since I have the first pick I had to take my least favorite "song" of all time.  They used to play this OVER AND OVER at all the Patriots games. It was a HUGE reason I gave up my season tickets so easily when they moved to the new stadium.  I hate that tune!

@rockaction

Users who are viewing this thread