What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandin Cooks is... Employed by Jerry!??? (1 Viewer)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
@AdamSchefter

Patriots are trading WR Brandin Cooks and a fourth-round pick to LA Rams for the 23rd overall pick in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft and a sixth-round pick, league sources told ESPN.

Last edited:
Wow.  Lets see if the Rams get more out of Cooks than they did Watkins. 

Great move the the Pats.  I don't know why the Rams keep trading for free agents to be.  

Cooks escapes the precarious old QB situation in NE, joins a much younger offense...but red flags:

1. On his 3rd team already.

2. The Rams showed last year that a guy with a similar skill-set to Cooks (who they traded a little less for) can be merely a decoy. Watkins was deemed worthy of a high end WR contract in FA from a team that can judge talent, and his production in the same offense last year was not good. 

This trade also says something about how the Rams, at least, see this rookie WR class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Positioning for OBJ? I know it's not their style but Brady and Moss were lethal, imagine that combo. 

Why is this a solid move by NE? Cooks has been highly productive and is 24. Everyone gives NE a pass because of the last decade but this is not a good move unless it’s used to go get OBJ. Cooks will not be able to be replaced by anyone in this draft class which is full of mid tier WR talents. 

Why is this a solid move by NE? Cooks has been highly productive and is 23. Everyone gives NE a pass because of the last decade but this is not a good move unless it’s used to go get OBJ. Cooks will not be able to be replaced by anyone in this draft class which is full of mid tier WR talents. 
Personally, I think Cooks is easily replaceable, especially in an offence built to spread it around.  I would have pulled this trade in a hear beat

Why is this a solid move by NE? Cooks has been highly productive and is 23. Everyone gives NE a pass because of the last decade but this is not a good move unless it’s used to go get OBJ. Cooks will not be able to be replaced by anyone in this draft class which is full of mid tier WR talents. 
Because they weren't going  to pay him, they got to use for a year for basically free. I forgot what they traded to getg him, but I think it was a 1st and 4th. 

Why is this a solid move by NE? Cooks has been highly productive and is 24. Everyone gives NE a pass because of the last decade but this is not a good move unless it’s used to go get OBJ. Cooks will not be able to be replaced by anyone in this draft class which is full of mid tier WR talents. 
They rented him for a year, then sold him for more than they paid.  They'll plug someone in like they always do.  Now they can trade up for their Jimmy replacement.

Because they weren't going  to pay him, they got to use for a year for basically free. I forgot what they traded to getg him, but I think it was a 1st and 4th. 
It was 1st/3rd.  But still less than they got, considering they couldn't move up from 32 to 23 by swapping a 3 for a 4.

Patriots:

• give up 2017 pick 32 and get 2018 pick 23
  • move back from 2017 pick 103 to 2017 pick 118
  • move back from 2018 pick 136 to a 2018 pick somewhere between 176 and 198
  • get Brandin Cooks for the 2017 season for $1.6M
Seems like an obvious win for them, compared to never dealing with Cooks.

I wouldn't necessarily call 65/1082/7 highly productive in the #1 offense in the NFL, and he was in the last year of his rookie contract so his cap hit is going to jump by ~$7 mil this year.

The Pats get back more than they traded for him and he’s in a contract year. I understand why people say that other NFL teams keep helping the Pats.

This is stupid by the Rams. A lot of people let the Sammy trade go because they were awesome last year. This year’s version was more expensive in every conceivable way. I mean, great for Goff but maybe bad for the team’s future overall. Doesn’t make sense if there isn’t an extension in place already for Cooks.

On the Pats side, it’s either a QB or they just got the 2 1sts needed to get Beckham. I’m guessing QB, hello Lamar Jackson

It’s a fair assessment to say they got more but this draft class is far weaker than last year. It feels to me as if the Pats are trying to plug holes in a leaky ship. I suppose I’ll withhold judgement for now but Cooks is a 24 year old all pro WR with 4.3 speed. He’s well worth what the Rams paid.

Wow.  Lets see if the Rams get more out of Cooks than they did Watkins. 

Great move the the Pats.  I don't know why the Rams keep trading for free agents to be.  
Agree that it's a great move for NE.  Cooks was a nice to have for NE, but they can win without him.

The Rams are all-in to win now before they have to pay Goff serious cash.

I wouldn't necessarily call 65/1082/7 highly productive in the #1 offense in the NFL, and he was in the last year of his rookie contract so his cap hit is going to jump by ~$7 mil this year.
:rolleyes:  I would like to know what you would call highly productive then considering that was #11 in recieving yards in the entire NFL. Pretty doofus statement if you ask me.

I'm thinking QB.
I would guess LT or basically anywhere on defense...while a QB is not out of the question it kind of doesn't make sense to do it that early...if you are gonna ride out Brady and try to win another title they have other holes (big holes) to fill...I see them using there own #2 or a #3 on a QB...the Gronk question is out there and they are now in a spot to grab a top-tier TE if they want to find his replacement...

I was real fired up about Cooks when they got him but overall he never felt like a great fit for them...he was productive but nowhere near the dynamic player I thought he would be...he has a year left on his deal and I just didn't see the Pats giving him the type of $ he was going to get...especially after some of the contracts given this offseason...

I guess all NFL teams should operate on and trade out of rookie contracts. What a monster this last CBA has created. 

Draft trade value chart gives NE's first two picks a value of 1,360 points.

Same value as the #9 pick in the draft.

Owned by SF.

Hmmmmm.

While everyone suckles on the Pats teet, I would like to credit Les Snead for being a beast of a GM this offseason. Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib, Ndamakong Suh and Brandin Cooks in one offseason.
No kidding.

It might not pan out but it's fun.

Fascinating to see the Rams go all-in to this extent.  I'm very curious to see how it plays out for them.  Sometimes these things look better on paper and don't mesh on the field the way you expect they will, ala the Eagles a few years ago.  

It doesn't really matter if the Pats love Rosen because I'd think they need to trade up into the top 2-3 to get him. And 23, 31, and two 2nds won't get you that high in this class, especially since the teams who own those picks already covet QBs as well, and have other trade options that don't involve moving all the way down to 23. And I don't see the Pats putting together a Redskins-for-RG3 type package because that's way too reckless...and again, 23 is a long way to trade up from even with their ammo.

Cooks wasn't a great fit with Brady but he was a big part of the offense and did a great job while Edelman was out.  He'll be missed but it was a fair deal and the pats have other more pressing needs after all their off season losses

Love this for Goff, not sure about the other rams receivers. They might all end up being over priced by the time the season rolls around. 

Users who are viewing this thread