What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR D.J. Moore, CHI (1 Viewer)

Panthers mailbag: Bashaud Breeland? Top rookies? Cam nicknames? Answers here ...

Excerpt:

Q. Which rookies on offense and defense have been most impressive?

A. Easy. Jackson and receiver D.J. Moore, the Panthers’ first-round pick. 

Especially when these two battle each other in individual drills, my goodness, they put on a show. Moore shows really nice separation ability and has this freaky extra gear after he catches the ball. Jackson is really smart, really fast and has great makeup speed if a receiver beats him early. He’s what coaches like to call “tenacious.” 

As an aside, it’s also been enjoyable to watch defensive backs simply ricochet off of rookie tight end Ian Thomas.

Panthers rookie report: How are the draft picks doing in camp?

Excerpt:

I am not sure why there is not more hype over wide receiver DJ Moore. I can remember when Kelvin Benjamin was drafted. The media hounded him, the fans could not get enough. But Moore has gone somewhat under the radar. I do know that it is not because of his play. Moore looks like the most complete wide receiver the Carolina Panthers have drafted since a guy named Steve Smith. Moore has one of the quickest first few steps I have seen in a Panthers uniform. I suspect he will contribute a great deal to the Panthers offense this season.

Jeremy Igo @CarolinaHuddle

DJ Moore smoked Donte Jackson on a double move, ball was underthrown sadly. Would have been 6.

8:08 AM - Jul 28, 2018

It’s the 2nd part that has us worried. How many times will he be open and the ball will be overthrown or land in the dirt?!?!?

Hell, Kevin was 8 feet tall and Cam still manage to overthrow him from time to time when he was wide open.

Tex
About 50% of the time.

The stat line looks good, but I didn’t get a chance to watch...how’d he look?

What we learned from Thursday's 12 preseason games

Excerpt:

Panthers 28, Bills 23

3. Rookie D.J. Moore is putting veteran receivers Torrey Smith and Jarius Wright on notice. The Panthers' first-round pick led the team with 75 yards on four receptions, working with backup quarterback candidates Taylor Heinicke and Garrett Gilbert. The highlight was a third-down conversion in which Moore offered shades of former Vikings star Percy Harvin with extraordinary stop-and-start suddenness to slip one tackle and break another for a first down that set up C.J. Anderson's 4-yard score. 

-- Chris Wesseling

Moore is 215 with insane RAC ability. That, alone, is reason to be high on him.

He would make a fantastic RB prospect, IMO. Moore should be an absolute monster as he refines his receiving skills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Football Jones said:
Moore is 215 with insane RAC ability. That, alone, is reason to be high on him.

He would make a fantastic RB prospect, IMO. Moore should be an absolute monster as he refines his receiving skills.
You better have some athletic LBs and Safeties to take on the Panthers.

Have had him as the #1 WR in the class since the combine (and drafted him as such in my league that drafts before the NFL draft).  Think his comps are Garcon or Cruz, but with major-program and high draft pick pedigree; Roddy White with a bit more size and a more compact tackle-breaking frame; and DeAndre Hopkins with more raw athleticism.

Not sure exactly which ones I'd pick as "best", but I couldn't find a bad comp.  Really high ceiling.

Have had him as the #1 WR in the class since the combine (and drafted him as such in my league that drafts before the NFL draft).  Think his comps are Garcon or Cruz, but with major-program and high draft pick pedigree; Roddy White with a bit more size and a more compact tackle-breaking frame; and DeAndre Hopkins with more raw athleticism.

Not sure exactly which ones I'd pick as "best", but I couldn't find a bad comp.  Really high ceiling.
Before he ever went to Carolina, I thought he looked most like Steve Smith.

Some predraft analysis of Moore:

Reception Perception: D.J. Moore Will Help Create the Layup Throws by Matt Harmon

Football Outsiders Playmaker Score high on Moore

Me in March:

DJ Moore is neck-and-neck with James Washington for my formula's top WR, which is pretty strange because my formula puts a lot of weight on yards per target and Moore's was terrible. In my Top Rated tab of the 111 WRs that my formula likes most since 2006, only 1 player out of 111 is below 8 YPT (Jarrett Dillard), and DJ Moore will be joining him with 7.95 YPT.

So why does my formula still love Moore? Three things.

First of all, even though he wasn't efficient on a per-target basis, Moore basically was the Terrapins passing offense. He accounted for 53% of their passing yards and 53% of their passing TDs. It's hard to be efficient when the defense knows where the ball is going, and getting force-fed the ball is a good sign about a receiver's skills.

Second of all, the Maryland passing game was generally terrible. Reports before the offseason were that transfer Caleb Henderson is the favorite to win Maryland’s QB job, but he dealt with offseason injuries and never panned out. Tyrell Pigrome was the opening day starter, and tore is ACL during that game. Kasim Hill took over and lasted about a game and a half before tearing his ACL. So Maryland's third or fourth string QB, Max Bortenschlager, led the offense for most of the season, though his preseason profile said "With Pigrome’s experience and explosiveness and Caleb Henderson and Kasim Hill’s skill sets, it’s tough to see exactly where Bortenschlager could find a role for himself." Bortenschlager missed a bit of time too, and the guy below him on the depth chart, walk-on Ryan Brand, wound up throwing more passes than Pigrome+Hill+Henderson combined. On the season, Maryland QBs threw for 6.1 yards per attempt, ranking 119th out of 130, which makes Moore's 7.95 YPT look not so bad actually. That's 80/1033/8 on 130 attempts when throwing to Moore (7.95 YPT) and 95/907/7 on 188 attempts when throwing elsewhere (4.82 YPT).

So we have a guy with a pretty good basic statline (80/1033/8), who accounted for a huge fraction of his team's offense, with efficiency numbers that are poor but much better than his teammates. Not the best production profile, but pretty strong - 8th best in this draft class and above-threshold for my production-first formulas. Other players with a similar production profile include AJ Jenkins (2011), Calvin Johnson (2006), Jermaine Kearse (2010), and Keenan Allen (2012).

Then at the combine, thing three: Moore dominated. Very good speed (4.42) and great explosiveness (39.5" vert, 11'0" broad) with acceptable size (6'0", 210 lbs.). That's a good sign for his game translating to the NFL level. It vaulted him to the top 2 alongside Washington, and ahead of guys with better production but meh athleticism (e.g., Jordan Lasley) or questionable size (e.g., Cedrick Wilson).

And as more advanced stats have come in, they haven't shifted things much - PFF has Moore with above average yards after the catch and a slightly worse than average drop rate, and Matt Harmon's Reception Perception numbers have Moore above average at getting open (though not quite as good as James Washington, which has allowed Washington to edge in front).

Heard a comment in passing on a podcast today that Moore’s situation isn’t good (meaning in that offense).  Doesn’t it seem like there is a fair chance that he is their number 1 wr over the course of the season?  What is wrong with his situation?  Just that cam is inaccurate?

Long Ball Larry said:
Heard a comment in passing on a podcast today that Moore’s situation isn’t good (meaning in that offense).  Doesn’t it seem like there is a fair chance that he is their number 1 wr over the course of the season?  What is wrong with his situation?  Just that cam is inaccurate?
I'm perplexed too! I harken back to Cam's rookie year when he leaned on Steve Smith. Granted, Smith wasn't a rookie and Cam didn't have the weapons he he currently possess, but Moore could be a big part of this offense by November. 

D.J. Moore played 17-of-67 (25 percent) snaps Week 1 against the Cowboys.

Moore appeared to be buried on the depth chart in the preseason, and that continued into Week 1. He played fewer snaps than Devin Funchess (57), Torrey Smith (51), and Jarius Wright (31) while finishing without a target. While he should climb the depth chart this season, Moore is not a must-hold in redraft leagues.

Sep 10 - 9:46 AM

I was expecting him to be lower than advertised on the depth chart, but I definitely wasn’t expecting a 25% snap count. Hopefully things trend upwards in the coming weeks...

D.J. Moore played 33-of-67 snaps (49 percent) Week 3 against the Bengals.

Moore finished the game with just one catch on two targets, but it was a step in the correct direction for his playing time. He actually out-snapped Jarius Wright by seven, and he was just 11 plays behind Torrey Smith. His role will hopefully expand coming out of the bye.

Sep 24 - 12:08 PM

D.J. Moore caught 5-of-6 targets for 90 yards in the Panthers' Week 8 win over the Ravens.

Moore added 39 rushing yards on two attempts. He recorded all seven of his touches in the first half, picking up 72 of his total yards on a second-quarter possession that ultimately ended with a six-yard touchdown catch for Christian McCaffrey. With Torrey Smith (knee) out, Moore got the start and tied with McCaffrey for the team lead in targets. The Panthers need to make the move permanent and boot Smith from the starter's group. If Moore keeps the job, he'll very much be on the WR3/4 map next week at home against the Bucs.

Oct 28 - 4:20 PM

Has this guy finally rounded the corner into a flex starter?  I drafted him in several leagues, but live out west so haven't seen him in the pros at all.

Has this guy finally rounded the corner into a flex starter?  I drafted him in several leagues, but live out west so haven't seen him in the pros at all.
I don't think so.  I didn't see anything to indicate that he's taken the WR1 reigns.  Samuel and Funchess and Olsen still factors and even T. Smith has had a few good games.  I also think Cam my have an arm issue because the deep ball has been non existant.  He's basically last in the league in longest air yard pass completed on the year.  In 2016 he had the second longest.

Not sure but If I can have some of this offense for the playoffs weeks I am in.  I scooped him up

This week should be a nice indicator of some of that potential 

I don't think so.  I didn't see anything to indicate that he's taken the WR1 reigns.  Samuel and Funchess and Olsen still factors and even T. Smith has had a few good games.  I also think Cam my have an arm issue because the deep ball has been non existant.  He's basically last in the league in longest air yard pass completed on the year.  In 2016 he had the second longest.
He has been nursing a hurt shoulder. That is why they put in Heinicke to throw a hail mary so Cam wouldn't risk straining his shoulder, but the play got botched, and Heinicke ended up throwing a pass to Olsen, and they kicked a field goal.

Users who are viewing this thread