What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR D.J. Moore, CHI (2 Viewers)

D.J. Moore caught 3-of-5 targets for 44 scoreless yards in the Panthers' Week 4 win over the Texans.

Moore finished with more yards than Curtis Samuel, but now has just seven targets in two games with Kyle Allen under center. All of Allen’s deep balls went to Samuel, as Moore was forced to rely on his (excellent) ability after the catch to pick up most of his production. The Panthers haven’t gotten Moore involved as a rusher through four weeks and continue to largely run the entire offense through Christian McCaffrey. Moore is best approached as an upside WR3 for next week’s matchup against the Jaguars.
Interesting with Cam out they use Moore closer to the LOS and Olsen/Samuel medium depth to deep.

Last edited by a moderator:
D.J. Moore caught six of eight targets for 91 yards in a Week 5 win over the Jaguars.

Moore's headliner was a 52-yard reception over top of A.J. Bouye. Kyle Allen trusted his top receiver in single coverage on the outside, and Moore elevated to go up and get the catch in tight coverage. With Christian McCaffrey running so well and Allen at quarterback, the high ceiling volume just isn't there for Moore, but he is doing enough with what he's getting to stick in your starting lineup.
Pretty solid floor of 5 FP, 9-10 is his ceiling.

D.J. Moore caught 7-of-10 targets for 73 yards in Week 6 against the Bucs.

He also had one carry for 13 yards. Moore led the Panthers in receiving and targets but also struggled with some drops. He's been Kyle Allen's go-to receiver, but Moore has just one touchdown this season. Moore will be a WR3 when the Panthers play the 49ers after their Week 7 bye.

Oct 13, 2019, 1:51 PM ET

D.J. Moore caught 5-of-9 targets for 38 yards in the Panthers' Week 8 loss to the 49ers.

Moore was tossed two deep balls into tight coverage, but otherwise continued to be treated as more of an underneath option. Moore would benefit from Cam Newton (foot) returning sooner rather than later, as he led all Panthers' pass catchers with 24 targets in Weeks 1-2. Moore is too good to go much longer without a blowup performance of some sorts, although life isn’t easy as the at-times No. 3 option in a middling scoring offense. The entire Panthers passing game is at least set up better next week at home against the Titans.

Oct 27, 2019, 7:25 PM ET

D.J. Moore caught 7-of-10 targets for 101 yards in the Panthers' Week 9 win over the Titans.

The 100-yard day was Moore's first of 2019. He has now caught at least five passes in four straight games, clearing 70 yards three times in the process. With Kyle Allen mostly dinking and dunking, Moore is not getting the opportunity to make plays down the field, though the conservatism does fit his YAC skill-set. He'll be a high-floor WR2/3 for Week 10 against the Chiefs.

Nov 3, 2019, 5:39 PM ET

D.J. Moore caught 8-of-15 targets for 95 yards in the Panthers' Week 11 loss to the Falcons.

Moore and Christian McCaffrey (191 yards) were the only sources of offense for a Panthers team that mustered just three points. Moore has now drawn at least 10 targets in four of the last five games and eight targets in six straight. He's averaging 105.3 yards over his last three and will get a matchup with the Saints in Week 12. Kyle Allen is playing horribly, but Moore's volume keeps him a strong WR3 with WR2 upside.

D.J. Moore caught 6-of-9 targets for 126 yards and two touchdowns in the Panthers' Week 12 loss to the Saints.

This was arguably the best performance of Moore's career. The 126 yards are a season-high for Moore, and the second-year receiver recorded his first score since Week 3. Much of Moore's game is built on yards after the catch, and that was on full display on Sunday, but his improved route running was evident against the Saints corners. To top it off, Moore hauled in a difficult contested endzone grab away from his body on a 4th down try. Moore now has produced four straight games of at least 95 receiving yards.

D.J. Moore caught 6-of-12 targets for 75 yards and one touchdown in the Panthers' Week 13 loss to the Redskins.

It was not an efficient day for Kyle Allen and Moore, but Moore's volume is bankable and that's what matters most. Moore now has at least six receptions and 70 yards in seven of his last eight games. That's WR1-level production. Moore will be a high-floor WR1 against the Packers next week (weather permitting). He's been as steady as it gets while Curtis Samuel rides an up-and-down rollercoaster.

Dec 1, 2019, 5:16 PM ET

D.J. Moore caught 4-of-6 targets for 81 yards in the Panthers' Week 14 loss to the Falcons.

Kyle Allen was truly awful once again, which took a potential ceiling game in an excellent matchup away from Moore. The young receiver still racked up 81 yards thanks to a 39-yard gain but was otherwise quiet. Moore has turned into one of the highest-floor receivers in fantasy. He has at least 73 yards in eight of his last nine games, averaging just under 90 yards over that span. Treat Moore as a low-end WR1 against the Seahawks next week.

D.J. Moore netted eight catches for 113 yards on 12 targets while also adding a 10-yard rush Sunday in the Panthers’ Week 15 loss to Seattle.

He didn't get going until the second half, recording seven of his eight receptions after halftime including three on the Panthers' final drive. Even with the walls caving in on a Panthers team well on its way to rock bottom, Moore has maintained one of the safest floors of any receiver in football, contributing at least 75 yards in seven straight appearances. Already over 1,000 yards receiving for the year, Moore can add to his impressive totals when the slumping Panthers visit Indianapolis in Week 16. He's settled in as a weekly WR1 in the fantasy arena.

They wait until the Fantasy Championships to finally go to Will Grier? Boy this could be real bad for D.J Moore now... not because Grier could be worse (he could), we don't know his targeting preferences and it's unknown variables we don't need now.

Y! Sports: Week 16 Fantasy Lames: Fournette, Moore, Brees to play Scrooge in title games

DJ Moore, Car, WR (85% started; Yahoo DFS: $25)
Matchup: at Ind
Vegas Line/Total: Ind -7, 46.5

For Moore zealots, Krampus has arrived in the form of Will Grier. Equipped with a heaping bag of coal, an insatiable thirst for schnapps and an abundant array of inaccurate passes, the rookie passer, announced as the starter by Carolina’s interim coaching staff Monday, isn’t scaring anyone. He was a prolific dual-threat during his collegiate days in Morgantown, but netting 6.3 yards per attempt and completing just 55.7% of his attempts on 61 Preseason chucks, he was rough-edged, to say the least. To be fair, weeks of practice reps and observational learning may have smoothed the outer lines, but several unknowns still exist. If blessed with viable alternatives (e.g. A.J. Brown vs. NO, DeVante Parker vs. Cin, or Breshad Perriman at Hou), reducing the concern is advisable.

Despite the upheaval at QB, it’s been a banner sophomore campaign for Moore. The fourth-most targeted wideout in the pro game, he’s finally filled the massive WR1 void left when Steve Smith departed the franchise in 2013. Difficult to wrangle in the open field, the former Terp ranks appreciably in YAC per reception (4.51), total yards after the catch (WR7) and contest catch rate (WR5). Next draft season, he’s easily in the WR top-12 conversation.

Still, this week, Moore could fall flat. Indy is an accommodating pass defense ranking No. 8 in fantasy points allowed to wide receivers. The receiver’s projected assignment, Pierre Desir, has also given up a 125.4 passer rating and the third-most yards per snap (2.17) of any DB. But Grier is a hindrance. Putting your faith behind a wildcard QB with bragging rights on the mind is a bold strategy.

Fearless Forecast: 6 receptions, 64 receiving yards, 0 touchdowns, 9.4 fantasy points
D.J. has put up WR1 numbers since Week 9 but I gotta sit him. It's not that I think Grier is bad (I think Grier is better than Allen), it's the uncertainty of the situation regarding targets/Grier himself. You don't want that in a championship game situation, or at least want to reduce it as much as possible. In a situation where I have A.J. Brown vs. NO and Breshad Perriman vs HOU, I take those two over Moore.

Man.....

I dont know how I can bench this guy... I have some solid options in Waller, Mack, and the MN backfield (Mattison or Boone)-- but Moore has been damn good

Y! Sports: Week 16 Fantasy Lames: Fournette, Moore, Brees to play Scrooge in title games

D.J. has put up WR1 numbers since Week 9 but I gotta sit him. It's not that I think Grier is bad (I think Grier is better than Allen), it's the uncertainty of the situation regarding targets/Grier himself. You don't want that in a championship game situation, or at least want to reduce it as much as possible. In a situation where I have A.J. Brown vs. NO and Breshad Perriman vs HOU, I take those two over Moore.
I don't own him but if I did and had a decent alternative I'd consider it.

Gotta think they'll go with a run heavy approach with CMC and some dump offs. And if Olsen is back which it looks like he will be Olsen could be his best friend.

I'm sticking with Moore this week (so far at least).  I have 3 players on Saturday and my opponent has 2 including J. Winston so I would consider sitting Moore for a guy with a higher ceiling if I need that on Sunday.  For now, Moore stays in my lineup.

I’m dropping him this week and rolling out Lockett and Perriman or AJ Brown at WR and Mack at flex. Just too much unknown with Grier coming in 

D.J. Moore caught one pass for a yard before entering the league's concussion protocol in Carolina's Week 16 loss to the Colts.

Jury's out on what he actually would've produced from Will Grier even if Moore had played the entire game. He left and didn't return following his second target — a skyrocketed ball that the second-year pro attempted to bring down via a leaping grab. With only one meaningless regular season contest remaining, it wouldn't be shocking if the organization held Moore out against the Saints next Sunday. His health will be worth monitoring for those still playing for incentives in Week 17.
If you started him in the Championship game I'm so sorry. I benched him because of Grier being the QB and I didn't know what to expect from him.

D.J. Moore (concussion) was sidelined for Tuesday's practice.

Moore entered the league's concussion protocol mid-game against the Colts, so he shouldn't be expected to suit up for Carolina's regular season finale; and there's no need to since they're solely chasing Christian McCaffrey's hunt to join the 1,000/1,000 club with only 67 receiving yards to go. Curtis Samuel and Jarius Wright would start against the Saints if/when Moore's officially ruled out.

SOURCE: Joseph Person on Twitter

Dec 24, 2019, 11:44 AM ET

Panthers WR D.J. Moore (concussion) didn't practice again Thursday.

Moore is tentatively expected to sit out the Panthers' Week 17 matchup against the Saints. This means Curtis Samuel should work as the offense's undisputed No. 1 WR. Still, this was largely the case in Week 16 as well ... and rookie QB Will Grier targeted Samuel just five times on 44 pass attempts.

SOURCE: Max Henson on Twitter

Dec 26, 2019, 12:15 PM ET

D.J. Moore (concussion) is out for Week 17 against the Saints.

He was concussed in last week's loss to the Colts. The Panthers will also be without Shaq Thompson, who is battling an ankle injury. The first receiver drafted in 2018, Moore was phenomenal in his sophomore campaign, breaking out for an 87-1,175-4 receiving line on 135 targets. Much of his production came without Cam Newton, who was lost to a Lisfranc injury in Week 2. Curtis Samuel, Jarius Wright and Chris Hogan will have to pick up the slack in Moore's absence Sunday against New Orleans.

SOURCE: David Newton on Twitter

Dec 27, 2019, 12:56 PM ET

Was mentioned in the Bridgewater thread, but thoughts on Moore with Teddy in the fold?

Seems like a net positive given Bridgewater's better accuracy, and Moore did a lot of his damage last year without Cam anyway. Only concern is that Teddy is a more conservative/dink and dunk guy - while Moore is one of the best in the business with the ball in his hands, his YPC may take a bit of a hit.

Was mentioned in the Bridgewater thread, but thoughts on Moore with Teddy in the fold?

Seems like a net positive given Bridgewater's better accuracy, and Moore did a lot of his damage last year without Cam anyway. Only concern is that Teddy is a more conservative/dink and dunk guy - while Moore is one of the best in the business with the ball in his hands, his YPC may take a bit of a hit.
One thing I've seen from him the last two years is he catches the ball everywhere on the field. The big issue was can he win a 1-on-1, 50/50 battle and he showed great strides in 2019 with that. I have had him on my teams 2 straight years (FA in 2018, 5th round draft pick in 2019) and I hope people sleep on him so I can get him in the 6th round.

One thing I've seen from him the last two years is he catches the ball everywhere on the field. The big issue was can he win a 1-on-1, 50/50 battle and he showed great strides in 2019 with that. I have had him on my teams 2 straight years (FA in 2018, 5th round draft pick in 2019) and I hope people sleep on him so I can get him in the 6th round.
I’d be surprised if he made it to the 6th after having a 1000 yards with Kyle Allen. Teddy should be an improvement there. 

No one is sleeping on him.  He went at WR9 and WR10 in two FBG drafts after the NFL draft.  Extremely overvalued right no IMO unless Teddy thinks he's Michael Thomas.

No one is sleeping on him.  He went at WR9 and WR10 in two FBG drafts after the NFL draft.  Extremely overvalued right no IMO unless Teddy thinks he's Michael Thomas.
I’m not all that excited about Bridgewater but Moore produced with much less at QB last year and I think he’s a good fit for Brady’s offense. Top 10 vs maybe a tier down from there is a legitimate argument but there’s a lot to like. Great analytics #s coming out of college, athletic profile, steady growth in his game, and really good production with bad QB play and McCaffrey getting a silly number of receptions. And he’s young. 

Personally I don't think Teddy hurts him much at all.  He produced just fine with Kyle Allen last year and while Teddy may be a little more cautious with the ball he's also a better overall QB.  Plus the new system should be friendly.

On the other hand, I'm not sure there's any juice left to squeeze on his value.  Meaning, he's an excellent young ppr asset which is very valuable obviously in dynasty, but I don't think he has additional upside to what he's already producing because he just doesn't score many touchdowns.  Generally thats a flukey stat, but in his case his low totals seem representative of his skillset rather than bad luck.  And unless you're Julio getting 150-200 targets a year, you need to put up 8-10 TDs to hit that upper echelon WR production.

So, hes a guy I loved coming out of college and would be thrilled to roster, but not somebody I'm trying to acquire at his current price.

I think there is plenty meat left on the bone. As Ian Haritz pointed out in his Rotoworld piece, D.J. was one of the most unlucky WRs in the NFL and now goes from the truly horrible Kyle Allen to the efficient Teddy Bridgewater. Moore is a YAC monster with an evolving skillset; he's starting to use positioning and body control to his advantage. He's got the talent and should have good usage behind only McCaffrey on the team (Robby Anderson shouldn't leapfrog him at all). There isn't any value drafting him as a Top 10 fantasy WR, but would have no issues drafting him around WR16-18.

EDIT: It's funny because if you look at composite ranking sites over time like Fantasy Football Calculator, D.J. Moore's rank is way down; well outside the Top 20 WRs. I think it largely depends on your league type.

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
Personally I don't think Teddy hurts him much at all.  He produced just fine with Kyle Allen last year and while Teddy may be a little more cautious with the ball he's also a better overall QB.  Plus the new system should be friendly.

On the other hand, I'm not sure there's any juice left to squeeze on his value.  Meaning, he's an excellent young ppr asset which is very valuable obviously in dynasty, but I don't think he has additional upside to what he's already producing because he just doesn't score many touchdowns.  Generally thats a flukey stat, but in his case his low totals seem representative of his skillset rather than bad luck.  And unless you're Julio getting 150-200 targets a year, you need to put up 8-10 TDs to hit that upper echelon WR production.

So, hes a guy I loved coming out of college and would be thrilled to roster, but not somebody I'm trying to acquire at his current price.
He had 135 targets in 15 games, or right at 9 a game.  He would have had 144 in 16 games.  

I think Teddy will be better for the offense as a whole.  I think McCaffery continues to be a monster, but I think it's reasonable to expect some degree of negative TD regression, even if it's just a handful.  

DJ Moore on the other hand--in his 2nd year in the league, he had 87 touches, 135 targets and only 4 TD's.  If he's done this for 4 or 5 years--sure, maybe he's just not going to get to the endzone a ton.  But I think we'll see the kids game continue to grow and improve.  If he gets 80+ touches again with his athletic ability, I think we'll see some Positive TD regression.  

The way his value continues to skyrocket this offseason I'm becoming very pleased with my decision to deal Chubb for DJM a couple months ago. 

Wigglytuff's Gruff said:
I traded Lamar Jackson for DJ Moore straight up in the middle of last season.... 

Eyebrows were raised. 
Dunno why.  Unless SF QB just don't hold value vs. premium guys.  I have a lot of Jackson shares and I would have a lot less if people offered me DJ Moore for every single one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread