What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Michael Gallup Puns Galore (3 Viewers)

Zyphros

Footballguy
NFL Draft Profile

Article

Article from Mayock

He caught 100 passes (3rd in the nation) for 1413 (5th in the nation) and 7 TD's last year.  Impressive enough.

Wanted a thread for my favorite WR in the draft.  Currently I have him as my #1, ahead of guys like Ridley/Sutton/Kirk on my draft board because he does everything really well with room to grow as a WR.  Safe floor with a high ceiling and I'm shocked there isn't a thread or enough hype about him right now.  In the NFL draft I think he goes late 2nd round with the chance to go sooner, and I also believe there isn't a WR at all this year that should be a top20 NFL draft pick.  That makes the gap between Gallup and some others a lot smaller than people realize.  

Discuss the Gallup

Last edited by a moderator:
Pro Football Focus is a fan:

2018 Prospect Preview: CSU WR Michael Gallup looking to become a household name

PFF Draft Watch: Michael Gallup is 2 games in, 2 games against top talent

2018 NFL Draft top names to know

Ranking the WR prospects for the 2018 NFL Draft

Team fits for the the top wide receiver prospects in the 2018 NFL Draft

Examining where the top 10 receivers in the 2018 NFL Draft won last season

Pro similarities for some of the draft's top fantasy WR names based on the combine

The last link is the PFF contrarian view:

Michael Gallup was incredibly productive in his two seasons at Colorado State, but while his combine results certainly don’t preclude him from success at the next level, none really stood out. He is a little small at 6-1, 205, with moderate speed (4.51-second 40-time) and quickness (4.37-second shuttle time) and poor strength (10 bench reps). As someone who can do a lot of things well but none great, he may end up as a second outside receiver or versatile backup.

Pro Football Focus lists Colorado State WR Michael Gallup as the wide receiver with the best drop rate of any draft-eligible player at the position in the red zone.

Gallup's drop rate from the 20 in? That would be 0.0. Every other player in the class has a drop rate of at least 7.7, with Boise State's Cedrick Wilson coming in second behind the former Ram wideout. Gallup has some concerns from some analysts about his fluidity and ability to make impact plays, but his ability to hang onto the football isn't among those concerns. He should be off the board before the end of the second round.

Mar 26 - 12:52 PM

Source: Pro Football Focus on Twitter

PFF loves Gallup. I have him at #5 below Moore, Sutton, Washington, and Kirk. Situation could easily change that order with the exception of Moore.

Scout's Report: The Most Overrated Prospects in the 2018 NFL Draft Class

Excerpt:

Scout's Quote: "Coming out of the Senior Bowl, people had this dude in the first round! He's good, but he's mid-Day 2."

Colorado State's Michael Gallup played just two seasons for the Rams after transferring from Butler Community College but performed well, posting 176 catches for 2,690 yards and 21 touchdowns. He proved that he belongs at a high level and backed it up with a big performance at the Senior Bowl. In terms of size (6'1", 198 lbs) and production, Gallup is what scouts want, but his overall athleticism draws concerns.

Gallup will be scrutinized for his burst and ability to separate vertically. First-round talk might be rich, and sometimes people get too excited after seeing a player live at the Senior Bowl, but don't be surprised when he hears his name called in the top 75 picks of the draft.

Colorado State senior WR Michael Gallup "sets up his breaks, sinks his hips and tempos his stems effectively," writes ESPN's Todd McShay.

Gallup caught 11 passes for 103 yards and a touchdown in Saturday's overtime loss to Boise State. "He had an early drop in the end zone, but he also shows the ability to catch it away from his frame and the body control to adjust," McShay wrote, adding praise for Gallup's route running. Gallup is up to a 87-1298-7 receiving line this season (14.9 YPC).

Source: ESPN 

Fri, Nov 17, 2017 11:25:00 AM

Gallup has been my favorite WR in the draft throughout the process. Very high ceiling and a high floor. Reminds me a bit of Michael Thomas. 

Hankmoody said:
People got all hot and bothered over Rashard Higgins too, is there a system component here?
Higgins is on record saying Gallup is ready for the NFL as he kind of mentored him during the pre-draft process.  Here's an article about it.  I'm not sure if there's a system correlation though, not like his QB's were amazing though.  I honestly don't watch a lot of college football until I do my evals so I can't speak on that.  

praying he falls to early 3rd for me in my 2QB 2TE leagues otherwise I'll be pissed if I don't land him.  
I almost took him at 1.12 but decided to go freeman. Love having a league that drafts this early. He could drop in a league like that, but I think with no clear #1 type option peoples rankings are all over the place pre draft. This draft always looks about the same for the 1st round as a draft that happens later, but this year in particular there are pockets of talent (good rbs, decent WRs) but landing spot will be a big factor in separating these guys out. If Gallup lands in a prime spot he could vault up to wr3 off the board. 

His combine was pretty similar to Thomas, except that he was a bit faster, and Thomas was a bit stronger. Also, Thomas has 2" and 10 lbs on him.

Still seems like a solid WR with a good chance to become a #2 WR on a team. Not many people projected Thomas to be as good as he was coming out of school, and that's definitely the ceiling for Gallup, with a floor probably being a #3 WR on a team. I definitely see him sticking somewhere and sure hands will help.

I almost took him at 1.12 but decided to go freeman. Love having a league that drafts this early. He could drop in a league like that, but I think with no clear #1 type option peoples rankings are all over the place pre draft. This draft always looks about the same for the 1st round as a draft that happens later, but this year in particular there are pockets of talent (good rbs, decent WRs) but landing spot will be a big factor in separating these guys out. If Gallup lands in a prime spot he could vault up to wr3 off the board. 
Mind listing how the first round in your draft ended up? 

I know it’s the Gallup thread - but I’m curious. I would be thrilled to get Freeman at 12.

Mind listing how the first round in your draft ended up? 

I know it’s the Gallup thread - but I’m curious. I would be thrilled to get Freeman at 12.
1. Saquon

2. Guice

3. Chubb

4. Michel 

5. penny

6. Ballage

7. Jones

8. Sutton

9. Ridley

10. Moore

11. Washington

12. Freeman

13. Scarborough

14. St brown

15. Kirk

16. Johnson

17. Gallup

Kelly, Walton, mayfield, Rosen, callaway, goedert rounds out the 2nd. 

An anonymous NFL scout says Colorado State WR Michael Gallup offers "excellent speed and deep separation."

"Thing I liked most about him was run after the catch," he added. "Blocking was the only thing I had against him." Bob McGinn Football ranked Gallup as WR9 in its fabulous draft series. "We had him in the (interview) room," said another scout. "He may have the best hands in the draft but he can only play one position." Gallup struggled with academics in college, and BGF noted that there's a slight concern he'll have issues grasping an NFL offense. "Inconsistent," a third scout said. "Has pretty high-end traits. Needs a lot of route technique work. He’s a little bit rigid but has the size, the speed, the production and the strength that you want." Gallup is likely to go in Round 2. We'd disagree with the third scout in that Gallup is just about a sure-thing when you get the ball in his vicinity. He didn't drop a single catchable pass within 20 yards of the LOS last year, an astonishing stat.

Source: Bob McGinn Football 

Apr 24 - 4:55 PM

Cowboys selected Colorado State WR Michael Gallup with the No. 81 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft.

Gallup (6’1/205) spent two years at CSU after transferring from JUCO, tallying a 176/2,685/15.3/21 career receiving line and earning second-team All-American in 2017. PFF College credited Gallup with 657 yards after the catch last season, fourth most in the nation. Gallup’s 20 missed tackles forced were fifth most among D-I wide receivers. Not a long-speed burner (4.51) but a sudden short-area mover with plus route quickness and a noticeable knack for creating separation from defensive backs with quick and active hands, Gallup offers No. 2/3 wideout ability as a poor man’s Donald Driver, or potential modern-day Rishard Matthews. He'll been an immediate factor for the Cowboys, who are currently slated to start Allen Hurns, Terrance Williams, and Cole Beasley in Week 1.

Apr 27 - 10:06 PM

Drew Davison‏ @drewdavison 7m7 minutes ago

Asked about possibly replacing Dez Bryant, Michael Gallup says:

"I'm really not coming to replace anybody. I'm just trying to find my role on the team and help them win ballgames."

6. Ballage

13. Scarborough

14. St brown
WTF? Sorry, and Sorry. Bo and Eq went way too high. And Ballage at 6? Weird.

Gallup to the Cowboys, seems like a good fit but I'm going to reserve judgement until after seeing him work with Dak. He never got on the same page with Dez, worried that could happen again.

Gallup to the Cowboys, seems like a good fit but I'm going to reserve judgement until after seeing him work with Dak. He never got on the same page with Dez, worried that could happen again.
I just noticed it was pre-NFL draft, but still that's really high for Ballage and Bo. I think St. Brown was slated for right around that spot. I'll be curious where he starts going after getting drafted very late, but to a nice landing spot.

We shouldn’t overreact on the landing spot. He might not have much competition now, but he will as early as next year. I see he’s being valued over Anthony Miller - and that just doesn’t make sense to me. 

FF Ninja said:
I just noticed it was pre-NFL draft, but still that's really high for Ballage and Bo. I think St. Brown was slated for right around that spot. I'll be curious where he starts going after getting drafted very late, but to a nice landing spot.
Yeah, pre draft but still reached for ballage. Bo as well, although I suppose I can understand that one. I figured ballage would go somewhere after the Johnson/freeman tier, around the Kelly/Walton guys. 

Like Gallup, like his landing spot, but really don’t have much faith in dak. Hurns deep on play action will be a staple imo. Gallup could easily be the best wr on the team though, kind of a Keenan Allen type. Polished, good hands, decent size, could be what dak needs. 

steelers1080 said:

It's almost like the NFL draft actuals would - who'd'a thunk it - CHANGED THINGS!!!

Concept Coop said:
We shouldn’t overreact on the landing spot. He might not have much competition now, but he will as early as next year. I see he’s being valued over Anthony Miller - and that just doesn’t make sense to me. 
I had him over Miller before the draft. I like Hurns but I'd rather have a rookie competing with him than competing with Allen Robinson. 

Sure, Miller was drafted a round earlier than Gallup. Normally that would make me think twice, but it was Chicago. The team that needlessly traded up one spot to draft Trubisky. 

I had him over Miller before the draft. I like Hurns but I'd rather have a rookie competing with him than competing with Allen Robinson. 

Sure, Miller was drafted a round earlier than Gallup. Normally that would make me think twice, but it was Chicago. The team that needlessly traded up one spot to draft Trubisky. 
If you liked Gallup more before the draft, I get it. But if you liked Miller more before the draft - and I think most did - landing spot shouldn't move the needle. Dallas looks like a good landing spot right now, but it's going to change drastically by this time next year. 

If you liked Gallup more before the draft, I get it. But if you liked Miller more before the draft - and I think most did - landing spot shouldn't move the needle. Dallas looks like a good landing spot right now, but it's going to change drastically by this time next year. 
You simply don't know that for sure. And even if it is, it could easily be argued that it would change in Gallup's favor.

It's like politics. The future, hypothetical candidate always does well in polling versus the actual incumbent. That changes when those polled find out who the actual challenger is.

Why are you so certain they will be bringing someone in next year? What if Gallup shines as a rookie? What if Hurns plays up to his 2015 level?

I'm just asking for the sake of discussion. Gallup was a top 5 WR for me before the draft, but with the hype surrounding him now and my picks, I really don't think I'm going to have him in any leagues. 

Why are you so certain they will be bringing someone in next year? What if Gallup shines as a rookie? What if Hurns plays up to his 2015 level?

I'm just asking for the sake of discussion. Gallup was a top 5 WR for me before the draft, but with the hype surrounding him now and my picks, I really don't think I'm going to have him in any leagues. 
If Hurns and Gallup look like an above average WR1/2 combo, then sure - they might stick with what they have. But what are the odds of that happening? Gallup was the 8th WR drafted and a 3rd round pick, and Hurns got 2.5M Guaranteed. 

They're going to upgrade because they currently have one of the very worst WR groups in the league. They'll have cap space and one more year to decide if Dak is worth 20M+ a year.  

If Hurns and Gallup look like an above average WR1/2 combo, then sure - they might stick with what they have. But what are the odds of that happening? Gallup was the 8th WR drafted and a 3rd round pick, and Hurns got 2.5M Guaranteed. 

They're going to upgrade because they currently have one of the very worst WR groups in the league. They'll have cap space and one more year to decide if Dak is worth 20M+ a year.  
Logic checks out, but you just seem so certain. I'm not going to reach for Gallup, but I understand why other people will. He's going to get a year to prove the Cowboys don't need to bring in competition for him (assuming he can beat out Terrance Williams in training camp). That's more than Sutton is going to get. Ridley and Miller will likely be in AR15 & Julio's shadows throughout all or most of their rookie contracts. There's value in getting a shot to prove yourself in year 1. Especially in fantasy terms if you have a current hole in your starting lineup. 

Logic checks out, but you just seem so certain. I'm not going to reach for Gallup, but I understand why other people will. He's going to get a year to prove the Cowboys don't need to bring in competition for him (assuming he can beat out Terrance Williams in training camp). That's more than Sutton is going to get. Ridley and Miller will likely be in AR15 & Julio's shadows throughout all or most of their rookie contracts. There's value in getting a shot to prove yourself in year 1. Especially in fantasy terms if you have a current hole in your starting lineup. 
WRs are very rarely plug and play, even with the benefit of playing time. I'm not certain Gallup can't cement himself as an NFL WR2 in year one, but I'm certain that the odds of it happening aren't great. I think his situation is a plus, especially if you're open to flipping him. But it's only a short term boon, and the odds of him being startable next season are extremely slim, even despite it. 

Edit: WR2 in ATL >>> WR2 in Dallas. 

WRs are very rarely plug and play, even with the benefit of playing time. I'm not certain Gallup can't cement himself as an NFL WR2 in year one, but I'm certain that the odds of it happening aren't great. I think his situation is a plus, especially if you're open to flipping him. But it's only a short term boon, and the odds of him being startable next season are slim extremely even despite it. 
All he has to do is show enough in year 1 that the Cowboys believe he can be their starter in year 2. He doesn't actually have to go nuts. The odds of him being fantasy relevant in year 2 are higher, IMO, than most of the other rookies. Maybe Dallas will bring in a true WR1 next year, but definitely Ridley and Miller will be playing opposite of their team's true WR1 in 2019. At least with Gallup there's hope. 

But again, I think the odds I end up with him on one of my teams is about 10% so I'm not sure why I'm arguing with you.  :P

Is anyone taking into consideration Miller being 24 in Oct and Gallup just having turned 22? I really don't know how to weigh that, along with situation, perceived ceiling, competition for targets, etc. 

And then I find myself wondering, should we be talking about Tre'quan Smith in the same area of rookie drafts, given the fit with Brees and playing across from MT? And also being a 3rd round pick like Gallup?

Is anyone taking into consideration Miller beung 24 in Oct and Gallup just having turned 22? I really don't know how to weigh that, along with situation, perceived ceiling, competition for targets, etc. 

And then I find myself wondering, should we be talking about Tre'quan Smith in the same area of rookie drafts, given the fit with Brees and playing across from MT? 
I take it into consideration, sure. But I try to remind myself that most of these WRs are going to bust. I'm trying to find one of the few who will actually amount to something. A couple years doesn't amount to much, in that context. Those 2 years only matter if both guys hit, so give me the guy more likely to hit. That's my thought process anyway. 

I need to dig into Smith a bit more, but would argue his situation is at least as good as Gallup's. 

I take into consideration, sure. But I try to remind myself that most of these WRs are going to bust. I'm trying to find one of the few who will actually amount to something. A couple years doesn't amount to much, in that context. Those 2 years only matter if both guys hit, so give me the guy more likely to hit. That's my though process anyway. 

I need to dig into Smith a bit more, but would argue his situation is at least as good as Gallup's. 

That's logical, and if you see a big talent gap then I agree the age shouldn't be a defining factor. More of a tie-breaker.

That's exactly what I was thinking about Smith in NO. If we're saying that the great situation is what is (for some) elevating Gallup above Miller, despite being drafted a round later, then we need to be talking about Smith as well.

Of course this is mostly relevant for leagues drafting soon, or now. Leagues drafting later will have the benefit of training camp reports to know who is making an impact and earning a role early.

Users who are viewing this thread