What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Michael Gallup Puns Galore (2 Viewers)

Puns aside.

Anyone know if this type of surgery is on the latter end of the 2-4 weeks?

Looking at the end of my bench for someone to drop and not sure I can hold Gallup any longer.
Yeah, he's a tough hold or drop decision at the moment if you have a short bench (like I do).

That’s why leagues need an IR spot.  No way I’d want to drop him especially in a keeper league.  The upside/potential is as high as anyone not in the very top tier.   

That’s why leagues need an IR spot.  No way I’d want to drop him especially in a keeper league.  The upside/potential is as high as anyone not in the very top tier.   
Mine has a max of 3 in addition to the non starters each week.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he "won't rule out" Michael Gallup (knee) for Week 5 against the Packers.

"I’m not ruling it out Sunday," Jones said on Gallup's pending return. "We got to see how he does [in practice this week]." It's unlikely this happens, but Gallup's initial timetable following a meniscus trim was only 2-4 weeks. The second-year pro led the Cowboys in targets (15) before going under the knife after Week 2's win and both Randall Cobb and Devin Smith have failed as serviceable replacements in that time. Gallup's presence, even at less than 100 percent, would be an obvious plus against Green Bay's stingy secondary.

SOURCE: Jon Machota on Twitter

Oct 1, 2019, 9:48 AM ET

I'm not sure Gallup is as high as his value was preinjury. Zeke is now eased back in, and we see Dak is human. I expect Gallup to be as streaky as Cooper. 

If I owned (and I do) I would look to sell (and I am)

I'm not sure Gallup is as high as his value was preinjury. Zeke is now eased back in, and we see Dak is human. I expect Gallup to be as streaky as Cooper. 

I think part of the reason Dak has looked pedestrian again is that he doesn’t have all his horses.  Getting Gallup back should spur him back to his former glory.

I think the cowboys offense is severely missing this guy and the new OC (Moore) just isn't going to make the offense all about Zeke. 

If the preseason hype is real, this guy should do pretty good against against weaker corners.

I think part of the reason Dak has looked pedestrian again is that he doesn’t have all his horses.  Getting Gallup back should spur him back to his former glory.

I think the cowboys offense is severely missing this guy and the new OC (Moore) just isn't going to make the offense all about Zeke. 

If the preseason hype is real, this guy should do pretty good against against weaker corners.
it's possible, sure

The Saints have a very good defense. Witten doesn’t fumble, the Zeke fumble is called like it had been since the inception of replay and Tyron isn’t injured, giving the boys 10 more seconds and the Cowboys win. Crowd noise in that place is also a factor. 

Cowboys list fair and square, but let’s settle down on the hyperbole. Even the great Tom Brady looks human from time to time. 

Dak and the Cowboys will be fine. 

Gallop is still gonna be a STUD. 

Michael Gallup (knee) returned to practice Wednesday, getting in a limited session.

Gallup has missed the last two games with a sprained MCL but is progressing in his recovery and could be back in the lineup Week 5 against the Packers. We'll have to check in on Gallup later in the week closer to Sunday.

SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter

Oct 2, 2019, 11:53 AM ET

Dallas Morning News' Michael Gehlken reports Michael Gallup (knee) is expected to play in Week 5 against the Packers.

You love to see it. Gallup's initial timetable following a meniscus trim put him back on the field in 2-4 weeks time and Sunday makes nearly three weeks since the second-year pro last suited up. Even if limited, his presence should make an impact for a Cowboys offense that most recently stalled (for a variety of reasons) in Sunday night's loss to the Saints. Gallup notably led Dallas in targets (15) before going under the knife. He needs to be rostered in every format.

Oct 2, 2019, 3:21 PM ET
 Let’s get this show pony back on the racetrack!

Is this MCL thing new or just a mistake.  I had only heard of the meniscus trim prior to this reporting.  

So assuming Gallup is back this week, where do we rank him, this week and going forward? He was leading the team in targets and receiving yards prior to getting injured.

So assuming Gallup is back this week, where do we rank him, this week and going forward? He was leading the team in targets and receiving yards prior to getting injured.
Curious too.   I'm always kinda iffy about starting someone coming off an injury.   Seems odd after not long ago reading a report about there being swelling and that he was still a few weeks away.   

Curious too.   I'm always kinda iffy about starting someone coming off an injury.   Seems odd after not long ago reading a report about there being swelling and that he was still a few weeks away.   
He goes right back in my lineup.  Having had 4 meniscus tears and surgeries I can speak from experience it’s all about the swelling and strength loss.  If he practicing again and been cleared to play that’s good on both accounts.  I roll with him with normal confidence.  

When a procedure has a timetable of 2 or 3 weeks, you can rest pretty easy as far as long-term concerns.

At least that's been my experience with a similar surgery on my own knee, observations from working with athletes, as well as in a clinical setting related to my job.

Last edited by a moderator:
When a procedure has a timetable of 2 or 3 weeks, you can rest pretty easy as far as long-term concerns.

At least that's been my experience with a similar surgery on my own knee, observations from working with athletes, as well as in a clinical setting related to my job.
I work with athletes and orthopedic injuries as well, hense the Dr. in the name. With all due respect, a personal trainer does not have the education to make the claims you have made above. 

The issue with a meniscectomy depends on the size of the meniscus removed. Small tears are usually able to be played through and fixed in the offseason. The fact that he had to miss time immediately tells me it was big enough to cause swelling and pain and needed to be fixed. Possibly a bucket handle tear. When you remove the meniscus you essentially are removing a layer of cartilage that protects the articular cartilage of the knee. This fast tracks knees toward OA and other issues, such as more meniscus tears or ligamentous strains, as the surrounding tissue is strained more. 

I'm glad to hear your own knee surgery went well, but as you stated above you are not an NFL WR. So your experience is very different to Gallup. I have treated current and past NFL, Olympian, semi pro, college athletes. I know what I'm talking about here. 

I wouldnt worry about his knee within the next few years, depending on the size of the tear, but long term I have concerns. I do own him, and I will probably try to flip him for a pick when I can. 

I work with athletes and orthopedic injuries as well, hense the Dr. in the name. With all due respect, a personal trainer does not have the education to make the claims you have made above. 

The issue with a meniscectomy depends on the size of the meniscus removed. Small tears are usually able to be played through and fixed in the offseason. The fact that he had to miss time immediately tells me it was big enough to cause swelling and pain and needed to be fixed. Possibly a bucket handle tear. When you remove the meniscus you essentially are removing a layer of cartilage that protects the articular cartilage of the knee. This fast tracks knees toward OA and other issues, such as more meniscus tears or ligamentous strains, as the surrounding tissue is strained more. 

I'm glad to hear your own knee surgery went well, but as you stated above you are not an NFL WR. So your experience is very different to Gallup. I have treated current and past NFL, Olympian, semi pro, college athletes. I know what I'm talking about here. 

I wouldnt worry about his knee within the next few years, depending on the size of the tear, but long term I have concerns. I do own him, and I will probably try to flip him for a pick when I can. 
I'm not a personal trainer.

I simply have what I feel is a well-formed opinion based on experience at several levels (essentially, the thought that very short timetables have good outcomes the vast majority of the time).

I'm not a personal trainer.

I simply have what I feel is a well-formed opinion based on experience at several levels (essentially, the thought that short timetables have good outcomes the vast majority of the time).
Recent studies show patients with a partial mensicectomy have a 7x increase risk for OA

ETA: He probably does really well for a few years but I wouldnt be surprised to see him start having more injuries at some point. 

Even this season. I'd bet he has a groin or hamstring issue at some point. 

Recent studies show patients with a partial mensicectomy have a 7x increase risk for OA
I'm sure I don't have to point out the discrepancies in studies revolving around whatever subject is being studied, especially in the medical field.

If you read between the lines, I'm not claiming this is nothing to worry about. A surgery of any kind is worse than no surgery.

What I'm saying is the very short timetable equates to good odds of it being a benign long-term issue, which to me, is common sense (even if I didn't have experience with it on several levels). This was NOT a serious injury.

Could ANY procedure end up being a long-term problem? Sure, I'll give you that.

meniscus "trim" lol. man... talk about spin. 

that's actually a pretty big deal long term, depending 
I know exactly what it is. I know what it can potentially lead to. 

But is has nothing to do with his MCL. That is what I responded to. Sloppy reporting. 

I know. wasnt a shot at you. I've seen it called that before by the media
In all fairness my Dr on my last 3 knee surgeries called one of my meniscus surgeries a “trim”.  He is very well regarded and was the Chargers Dr/Surgeon for a long time, so I’ve heard it elsewhere.  

In all fairness my Dr on my last 3 knee surgeries called one of my meniscus surgeries a “trim”.  He is very well regarded and was the Chargers Dr/Surgeon for a long time, so I’ve heard it elsewhere.  
I know why it's called a trim, and it's so it sounds better and most people dont understand a mensicectomy. but they understand trim and it sounds safer. you made my point for me

Cowboys WR Michael Gallup (knee) told ESPN's Todd Archer that he's not run at full speed, but he can cut.

Specifically, Gallup stated, "It’s all really right here (tapping his head) ... The doc says my knee is fine. It’s good. You can’t really do nothing to it. It’s just I’ve got to get it through my head that I can do it. That’s all I need." This certainly isn't a ringing endorsement of good health, although Dallas Morning News' Michael Gehlken reports Gallup is expected to play in Week 5 against the Packers. It'd be surprising to see Gallup in his usual near every-down role if he continues to operate at less than 100% by Sunday.

SOURCE: Todd Archer on Twitter.

Oct 3, 2019, 10:02 AM ET

Michael Gallup (knee) remained "limited" in Thursday's practice.

It would be nice to see Gallup get in a full practice on Friday, but all involved parties, including Gallup, have said he will be out there against the Packers. Gallup has said it's a matter of trusting in a knee that has been fully cleared by doctors. Although Gallup was amongst the league leaders in yards after Week 2, he's a shaky WR4 coming off a two-week layoff into a tough matchup.

Oct 3, 2019, 4:54 PM ET

I wish they would rest him one more week. Definitely not starting him myself this week. Also, Dr. Dan, appreciate your insights.  

Michael Gallup (knee) remained limited at Friday's practice.

Beat reporter Michael Gehlken of the Dallas Morning News confirms Gallup is expected to make his return from a two-game absence when the Packers host Green Bay Sunday at Jerry's World. Gallup comes with more risk than usual this week—a tough matchup and the threat of limited snaps are both concerns to his Week 5 outlook—though fantasy owners in a bye-week bind can still look to him as a usable WR3/4.

Oct 4, 2019, 12:04 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Michael Gallup (knee) is expected to play in Week 5 against the Packers.

Although Gallup will suit up, expectations should be tempered as it's probable he'll be limited both physically and usage wise. It's also a horrendous matchup against a Packers secondary that's had no issues in limiting opposing wideouts to the fifth-fewest fantasy points this season. The second-year pro should be treated as a WR4/5 for Week 5 until back at full speed next Sunday against the Jets.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 6, 2019, 1:21 AM ET

good to see he is back in the saddle.

Sounds like he is champing at the bit to get back in there.

unfortunately, the packers d will likely rein him in.

ahh, you know what they say: nobody parties like a jockey!

good to see he is back in the saddle.

Sounds like he is champing at the bit to get back in there.

unfortunately, the packers d will likely rein him in.

ahh, you know what they say: nobody parties like a jockey!
Nice summary for today's game, but what is Gallup's value down-the-stretch?

Nice summary for today's game, but what is Gallup's value down-the-stretch?
To me, as long as he is healthy, I see him as WR2 upside and certainly WR3/flexworthy.

as much as I hate it, it seems like kellen Moore’s approach is definitely solid and unlocking things in this offense, so I trust it much more.

schedule looks pretty nice through week 9 (jets, phi, giants).

10 through 14 or 15 are kind of rough though: vikes, lions, Pats, Bills, Bears, rams

probably will need to wait and see how the playcalling and target mix is going.  Maybe he benefits from cooper taking more attention in those matchups?

Michael Gallup (knee) is active for Week 5 against the Packers.

Gallup could be on a pitch count in his return from a meniscus injury. OT La'el Collins (back) and DE Tyrone Crawford (hip) will also be in uniform Sunday. LB Luke Gifford, DE Joe Jackson, OG Adam Redmond, WR Devin Smith, OT Tyron Smith, WR Cedrick Wilson and DT Antwaun Woods round out the Cowboys' inactives for Week 5.

SOURCE: David Helman on Twitter

Oct 6, 2019, 3:06 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread