What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Michael Gallup Puns Galore (2 Viewers)

I traded for lots of early to mid 2nd rd picks in my dynasty leagues and didn't draft Gallup in any of them.  In my non-devy leagues he's gone 2.5, 2.6, 2.3, 2.2, and 1.13.
Being in Cowboy Country there’s no way he make it to the 2nd round. 

Tex

Being in Cowboy Country there’s no way he make it to the 2nd round. 

Tex
Living in the DMV, I used to hate how Cowboys players would get taken early by Cowboys fans (and sometimes Redskins fans trying to snipe the Cowboys fans). Basically ruined them as value picks. 

BigTex said:
http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2018/04/27/post-draft-press-conference-rounds-2-3

Director of Player Personnel Stephen Jones: “I will tell ya, we had some people in that room that were rooting for Gallup with our second pick.”

General manager Jerry Jones: “There’s a lot to like about him. He’s big and athletic. He plays the game the right way. He’s been a productive player for them doing a lot of different kinds of things. He can get vertical down the field. He’s got stature to him. He’s a good run-after-the-catch guy… [He] leaps off the screen at you. Great reports from the school… And we feel he has a real upside too. A lot of qualities that you want in a young receiver… A developmental receiver. But again, a lot of production too.”

They really wanted him in the 2nd round and firmly believe he was a bargain in the 2nd. They got a gift, he be that one WR people regret passing on.

Tex

Tex
Maybe too much hyperbole/optimism for a team looking to move on from Dez?

Well, I bailed yesterday for Mike Williams. I do really like Gallup's skillset and his opportunity, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to flip a 3rd rounder on a run-first offense with a QB I don't believe in for a former 7th overall pick, second year WR playing with Rivers...who is 6'4". 

I just can't resist that pedigree, despite the disappointing rookie year for Williams and the fact that Gallup is the new exciting guy. 

I might have made the wrong call here if Williams busts and/or Gallup turns into a fantasy WR2 type, but in general even if I'm wrong this time I think you'll never go wrong in the long term flipping hyped 3rd round rookie WR's for 2nd year top-10 pick WR's. 
I am not a fan of Mike Williams and I think he was drafted too high by the Chargers, even so I think your trade makes sense and good luck to you.

Would you have done the same deal for John Ross?

The Dallas Morning News' Jon Machota thinks third-round WR Michael Gallup will record "around 450 yards and 4 touchdowns" this season.

Machota could see Gallup ending up as the Cowboys' No. 1 option, but even then he does not project a monster season for the rookie. "Whoever [is the leading receiver], I don't think it'll be 1,000 yards and 10 TDs," Machota writes. "I think we're looking more at something like 800 yards and 6-8 TDs." Gallup might not be a WR1 as a rookie, but he could be a useful fantasy option in a wide-open receiver corps. His role will be important to monitor in camp and the preseason.

Source: Dallas Morning News 

May 28 - 10:52 AM

Hurns should be the big favorite to lead Dallas in receiving, IMO.

Very interested to see what Gallup can do, though.

If guys like Gallup, Rico, & Austin (or Thompson) come through, the Cowboys will have a vastly improved receiving corps.

Like in 2016 when the Cowboys went 13-3?
I cringe when I hear that. ;) Things were different in 2016. Dez was more Dez, Witten was more Witten, Dak was magical as a rookie, etc.

We don't have a true #1 receiver & if Beasley leads us in receiving again in 2018, we're absolutely screwed, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who thinks he will be the receiving leader for the Cowboys this season?
I expect Hurns to lead the team this year in receiving. Hurns has done it before and the last two years he has been hampered by some injuries.  But he is capable of leading a team. I like Gallup too and it wouldn't surprise me if he led the team, but I don't expect it.  

I expect Hurns to lead the team this year in receiving. Hurns has done it before and the last two years he has been hampered by some injuries.  But he is capable of leading a team. I like Gallup too and it wouldn't surprise me if he led the team, but I don't expect it.  
I hope that Gallup = more WR screens. That'd be cool.

I'd like to see more RB screens too.

Gallup = Juju

He’s going to surprise everyone.

Tex

Gallup = Juju

He’s going to surprise everyone.

Tex
I'm not saying Gallup won't be a great draft pick, but in most leagues I had to decide between Gallup and Miller and chose the latter.  No way was I going to get both, so I ended up with Miller in several leagues and Gallup in none.  I hope that doesn't come back to bite me.

I think Hurns may be capable of leading this team but I am not sure that is saying much considering the WR corps around him.

JuJu could also just be a product of the system. He's playing with Big Ben after all.
Of course, to a degree but that didn't seem to do much for Eli Rogers or Sammie Coates or DHB. If the talent isn't there the QB can only do so much, heck that's true even if the talent is there (see: Bryant, Martavis).

I'm not saying Gallup won't be a great draft pick, but in most leagues I had to decide between Gallup and Miller and chose the latter.  No way was I going to get both, so I ended up with Miller in several leagues and Gallup in none.  I hope that doesn't come back to bite me.
I did the same. Gallup has a great opportunity but he doesn't look like a dynamic playmaker.  He doesn't look like a guy who will ever be a WR1 but more of a complementary receiver.

I did the same. Gallup has a great opportunity but he doesn't look like a dynamic playmaker.  He doesn't look like a guy who will ever be a WR1 but more of a complementary receiver.
I don’t necessarily disagree with this, but is that saying that you see differently in Miller?

2016 ROY, ran for his life last yr with oline issues. If the line is healthy this yr he'll be fine imo
Dak is the kind of QB who needs to have perfect conditions(WRs that are Dak friendly, top 5 o-line, elite RB playing) to be a respectable fantasy QB and I am not really into that 

Q: Seems like from a sheer numbers standpoint, Michael Gallup may be the rookie who'll face the most pressure to produce in 2018. What are your statistical expectations for him?

Machota: Rookie receivers generally don't make a significant impact on the stat sheet in Year 1. If Dez Bryant was still on the roster, I wouldn't be expecting much production from Gallup this season. But since everything is so wide open at the position, I could see scenarios where Allen Hurns, Cole Beasley, Terrance Williams or Gallup are their leading receiver. Whoever it ends up being, I don't think it'll be 1,000 yards and 10 TDs. I think we're looking more at something like 800 yards and 6-8 TDs. I'll say Gallup finishes with around 450 yards and 4 touchdowns. Gallup did have the best grab during team drills last Wednesday. Working with the third team, he caught a nice deep ball over the shoulder from Mike White along the right sideline.
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/05/27/machota-biggest-unanswered-question-cowboys-setting-statistical-expectations-gallup

Dak is the kind of QB who needs to have perfect conditions(WRs that are Dak friendly, top 5 o-line, elite RB playing) to be a respectable fantasy QB and I am not really into that 
With the exception of maybe 5 QBs doesn't that hold true for everyone?

23 passing TDs in 2016, 22 in 2017, 6 rushing TDs each season, 343 fewer passing yards, 75 more rushing yards. The only glaring difference is 9 more INTs but anyone who anticipated a career 0.9 INT% was delusional. If you want to hold onto a sub 1.5 INT% you end up with Alex Smith.

zeeshan2 said:
This is such lazy analysis. If you’re just going to reverberate the same crap that anonymous media personalities are going to spew than you might as well not even post this drivel.

The kid lost three of hist starting five offensive linemen, a top three runningback and his receivers dropped numerous passes, at least four of which turned into pick sixes and you want to blame this guy and say he has to have the perfect surrounding cast? SMH, lazy, just lazy.

This is such lazy analysis. If you’re just going to reverberate the same crap that anonymous media personalities are going to spew than you might as well not even post this drivel.

The kid lost three of hist starting five offensive linemen, a top three runningback and his receivers dropped numerous passes, at least four of which turned into pick sixes and you want to blame this guy and say he has to have the perfect surrounding cast? SMH, lazy, just lazy.
Not really. I saw the same thing. He didn't step up one bit when he lost any of that. He folded. You're making excuses.

Not really. I saw the same thing. He didn't step up one bit when he lost any of that. He folded. You're making excuses.
 Chaka already stated his statistical Numbers last seasonwhich wasn’t horrific for a second your QB with no offense oline and by all accounts, the no receivers. 

You can’t post statistics because they don’t favor your argument. Through two years he has one of the best statistical outputs of any player who’s ever played in this league.

I don’t think he’s ever going to be  set testicle powerhouse like a Aaron Rodgers but the guy is and will continue to be a winner.

It's not just me; it's multiple Dallas radio stations, including the one that is the home of the Cowboys. He was awful last year; so much so that the Dallas offense didn't crack 10 points for 3 straight games, which was a franchise record. That same offense the year before produced for him so I don't understand where the hate is coming from. 6 of his last 8 games were under 200 yards passing. Just read this article and tell me what you think: 

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/2/18/17023746/who-is-the-real-dak-prescott

Add up a harder schedule, a vanilla offense with a HC that is predictable and doesn't respond to change quickly(see the ATL game) and pretty much all new recievers and new TE's and I am not sure how he gets back to his rookie year numbers. 

It's not just me; it's multiple Dallas radio stations, including the one that is the home of the Cowboys. He was awful last year; so much so that the Dallas offense didn't crack 10 points for 3 straight games, which was a franchise record. That same offense the year before produced for him so I don't understand where the hate is coming from. Just read this article and tell me what you think: 

I’ve read that. Do you have anything else to offer or are you just going to stand behind what A blogger wrote? 

Also, I’m not sure which station you’re listening to because none of the guys that I listen to say these things. 

Since you like random bloggers, here read this article

I’ve read that. Do you have anything else to offer or are you just going to stand behind what A blogger wrote? 

Also, I’m not sure which station you’re listening to because none of the guys that I listen to say these things. There are some Also, I’m not sure which station you’re listening to because none of the guys that I listen to say these things. There are some people who are Romo lovers and don’t like deck. who are Romo lovers and don’t like deck.

Since you like random bloggers, here read this article
I shouldn't use facts and stats to argue my point? Silly me. I mean the guy isn't a random blogger; he runs the Dallas Cowboys SBnation blog. The radio station I am alluding to is 105.3 the Fan in Dallas, which is where I live. I can clearly see you are a Dak-head so any slander of your boy is going to get called out. 

From that article you posted(by the way, that chart has the likes of McCown, Tannehill, and Tyrod Taylor in front of Dak, LOL): 

What if we take the skeptic’s view?: As I mentioned above, skeptics tend to set 2016 aside when evaluating Dak. And they believe 2017 reflects the greater trend of Dak’s football experience as it played out so exactly to his rookie draft report. If we apply this same analysis just to 2017, we get 5 games (as OCC mentioned), a 4-1 record, and a 31.25% of games with a 100+ QB RTG. Those 5 games came against a listing Cardinal’s team, a Packer defense that was so crippled in the secondary they spent their first two draft picks on CBs, the atrocious 49’er team that didn’t have Jimmy G yet, a solid Chiefs team that was, nevertheless, in the midst of a 1-6 run, and a Giants squad that had imploded. There’s some obvious reasons to believe competition level played a role in all of these games. Against outmanned teams, the entire Dallas scheme gets going, which means Dak gets going.

And I think that’s the trend we are seeing….when Dallas’ offense is performing well, then Dak performs well. But it doesn’t seem to work the other way. I don’t see Dak lifting the rest of the team through his performance. Nor do I think we should expect this of him. Dak’s strength is leadership. If the rest of the team can do its job, it seems to allow him to be a force multiplier. But if you need him to be the catalyst, the thing that breaks a defense and forces them to adjust, I think you’re up the creek without a paddle. I see a +Game Manager at best here, not an elite QB on the verge of cracking Top Three in the League. And I also believes tha tmatches the on field results.

Chaka already stated his statistical Numbers last seasonwhich wasn’t horrific for a second your QB with no offense oline and by all accounts, the no receivers. 

You can’t post statistics because they don’t favor your argument. Through two years he has one of the best statistical outputs of any player who’s ever played in this league.

I don’t think he’s ever going to be  set testicle powerhouse like a Aaron Rodgers but the guy is and will continue to be a winner.
To be fair he had a mediocre year in 2017. But his fantasy output, which @zeeshan2 was referring to, was very close to what he did in 2016.  The INTs were the only major difference between year one and year 2 from a fantasy perspective.

From an NFL perspective he was down in other key metrics, particularly yards per attempt which dropped precipitously from 8.6 Y/A to 6.5 Y/A which is a drop from uber elite to mediocre.  However I don't know many fantasy leagues that award QBs points based upon Y/A

I shouldn't use facts and stats to argue my point? Silly me. I mean the guy isn't a random blogger; he runs the Dallas Cowboys SBnation blog. The radio station I am alluding to is 105.3 the Fan in Dallas, which is where I live. I can clearly see you are a Dak-head so any slander of your boy is going to get called out. 

From that article you posted: 
He isn’t a blogger, but he’s the head blogger. Lol, OK.

The kid is going into his third year and you guys are ready to write the narrative on him. Well some of you who can’t think for yourselves may not, others just reverberate things they’ve heard on local sports radio and blogs.

To be fair he had a mediocre year in 2017. But his fantasy output, which @zeeshan2 was referring to, was very close to what he did in 2016.  The INTs were the only major difference between year one and year 2 from a fantasy perspective.

From an NFL perspective he was down in other key metrics, particularly yards per attempt which dropped precipitously from 8.6 Y/A to 6.5 Y/A which is a drop from uber elite to mediocre.  However I don't know many fantasy leagues that award QBs points based upon Y/A
The kid had a down year but there are a lot of reasons for it. Nobody wants to hear it and we will just have to wait and see after this season.

It's not just me; it's multiple Dallas radio stations, including the one that is the home of the Cowboys. He was awful last year; so much so that the Dallas offense didn't crack 10 points for 3 straight games, which was a franchise record. That same offense the year before produced for him so I don't understand where the hate is coming from. 6 of his last 8 games were under 200 yards passing. Just read this article and tell me what you think: 

Add up a harder schedule, a vanilla offense with a HC that is predictable and doesn't respond to change quickly(see the ATL game) and pretty much all new recievers and new TE's and I am not sure how he gets back to his rookie year numbers. 
It's not hate at all but it's also not what you originally said. Your original post specifically stated "fantasy" production and from a fantasy perspective there was only a minor drop-off from 2016 to 2017.  Your analysis was lazy because, if I am reading you correctly, you did not make the distinction in your mind between fantasy production and NFL production, and yes there is a huge difference between the two.

Now you have moved the goal post and want it to be about NFL production, which is fine and I absolutely agree that he was not good from an NFL perspective in 2017. Just try to be a little more clear about the point you are trying to make in the future.

It's not hate at all but it's also not what you originally said. Your original post specifically stated "fantasy" production and from a fantasy perspective there was only a minor drop-off from 2016 to 2017.  Your analysis was lazy because, if I am reading you correctly, you did not make the distinction in your mind between fantasy production and NFL production, and yes there is a huge difference between the two.

Now you have moved the goal post and want it to be about NFL production, which is fine and I absolutely agree that he was not good from an NFL perspective in 2017. Just try to be a little more clear about the point you are trying to make in the future.
I didn't mean fantasy production but real life production. I am not sure why you would get fantasy numbers when I mentioned that this is a make or break year for him. Dak will get fantasy points because of his legs, I know that. As far as being an effective QB and leading the Cowboy offense, I think his cast like I mentioned above is the main factor if he will do well or not, which is debatable. 

I didn't mean fantasy production but real life production. I am not sure why you would get fantasy numbers when I mentioned that this is a make or break year for him. Dak will get fantasy points because of his legs, I know that. As far as being an effective QB and leading the Cowboy offense, I think his cast like I mentioned above is the main factor if he will do well or not, which is debatable. 
Who are all these quarterbacks not named Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady who can carry a team by themselves?

I am not sure why you would get fantasy numbers when I mentioned that this is a make or break year for him.
This is why.

zeeshan2 said:
This is the post that both @STEADYMOBBIN 22 and I were responding to and you have since moved the goal posts, which is fine but I don't think you will find many people arguing that Dak didn't decline as an NFL QB from 2016 to 2017.

Users who are viewing this thread