Zyphros

Dynasty: Michael Gallup WR Cowboys

204 posts in this topic

People mean different things when they say "#1 WR".

Some mean guys that are prototypical WRs. By my count, there are eight of those in the world. OBJ, Dez, Julio, Evans, Fitz, DT, Hopkins, AJG. And Hopkins might not even belong in that list. 

Then there are guys that are #1 on their team and produce #1 numbers, they just don't look like the guys above. That list is a lot longer: ABrown, Hilton, ESanders, KAllen, THill, Diggs, Thielen, Tate, DAdams, MThomas, DBaldwin.

In other words, I think the argument is kind of silly to say Gallup isn't a #1 WR. It may be true that he isn't an "impose his will" type #1. But that doesn't mean he can't put up good to WR1 type numbers. 

8 people like this

Posted (edited)

All of the "non-prototype" guys on that list have a place where they win that allows them to do what they do, though--a trump card. Either excellent routes, speed, or the ability to catch in traffic from an elite QB...does Gallup fit? He seems more like a Marvin Jones type. Which also has upside 

Edited by ConnSKINS26

8 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

All of the "non-prototype" guys on that list have a place where they win that allows them to do what they do, though--a trump card. Either excellent routes, speed, or the ability to catch in traffic from an elite QB...does Gallup fit? He seems more like a Marvin Jones type. Which also has upside 

I guess it remains to be seen for Gallup.

But I don't remember anyone saying any of the Non-prototype guys would end up as #1 receivers because of the thing that allows them to win with that thing.

Wow. That's quite the sentence. :unsure:

1 person likes this

55 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

He excels at route running. Remains to be seen if that carries over.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

He excels at route running. Remains to be seen if that carries over.

This.  

When I watched tape of Gallup I saw hints of Michael Thomas in his game.  Nice routes, decent jump timing, quality hands, good at body positioning.  I'm not saying he's the second coming of Thomas but I found myself thinking of Thomas a lot when watching Gallup.

2 people like this

I don't know much about Gallup, but a guy with decent size and athleticism who runs elite routes and has elite college production and good ball skills sounds like an early 1st round pick of the NFL draft, yet Gallup was taken in the mid 3rd, so it seems like something has to give on the descriptions I'm seeing in here as the NFL doesn't seem to see that combination in him.

Best comparison I’ve seen is Pierre Garçon. 

Everyone saying he runs elite routes is mistaken in my mind.  He doesn't.  He has lots of wasted movement and he's not smooth in his breaks a lot of the time.  Very choppy I'd call it.  That choppiness has sort of helped him in a way, but he does have a few tricks and nuances in his routes that he does really well.   

I think he's in the ballpark of Keenan Allen, Hakeem Nicks, and Michael Thomas. Might be slightly less athletic than those guys, but similar in skill set and style. Plus size, but not huge. Mobile, but not a burner. Tough and competitive as a possession target.

1 person likes this

Well, I bailed yesterday for Mike Williams. I do really like Gallup's skillset and his opportunity, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to flip a 3rd rounder on a run-first offense with a QB I don't believe in for a former 7th overall pick, second year WR playing with Rivers...who is 6'4". 

I just can't resist that pedigree, despite the disappointing rookie year for Williams and the fact that Gallup is the new exciting guy. 

I might have made the wrong call here if Williams busts and/or Gallup turns into a fantasy WR2 type, but in general even if I'm wrong this time I think you'll never go wrong in the long term flipping hyped 3rd round rookie WR's for 2nd year top-10 pick WR's. 

2 people like this

7 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Well, I bailed yesterday for Mike Williams. I do really like Gallup's skillset and his opportunity, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to flip a 3rd rounder on a run-first offense with a QB I don't believe in for a former 7th overall pick, second year WR playing with Rivers...who is 6'4". 

I just can't resist that pedigree, despite the disappointing rookie year for Williams and the fact that Gallup is the new exciting guy. 

I might have made the wrong call here if Williams busts and/or Gallup turns into a fantasy WR2 type, but in general even if I'm wrong this time I think you'll never go wrong in the long term flipping hyped 3rd round rookie WR's for 2nd year top-10 pick WR's. 

Your logic makes sense, but my gut says you chose poorly.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Mingooch said:

Your logic makes sense, but my gut says you chose poorly.

You could definitely be right about that

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You could definitely be right about that

Skins, Mr. Mayor here...this reminds me somehow of your affection a few years back for Philip Dorsett.  You may be right, and your logic is sound and likely works out over the long term.  Sometimes, I like to trust my gut.  In this case, I'd go Gallup.

But having played against you, you have proven to be a formidable foe so you too need to trust your instincts.

Edited by battlestar
1 person likes this

1 minute ago, battlestar said:

Skins, Mr. Mayor here...this reminds me somehow of your affection a few years back for Philip Dorsett.  You may be right, and your logic is sound and likely works out over the long term.  Sometimes, I like to trust my gut.  In this case, I'd go Gallup.

I prefer Anthony Miller over Gallup.  They are going just a couple picks apart in most drafts.

1 person likes this

Just now, JohnnyU said:

I prefer Anthony Miller over Gallup.  They are going just a couple picks apart in most drafts.

Funny you say that.  I got both in a rookie draft two weeks ago at 2.2 and 2.3

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, battlestar said:

Funny you say that.  I got both in a rookie draft two weeks ago at 2.2 and 2.3

I traded for lots of early to mid 2nd rd picks in my dynasty leagues and didn't draft Gallup in any of them.  In my non-devy leagues he's gone 2.5, 2.6, 2.3, 2.2, and 1.13.

Edited by JohnnyU

It's really all over the map once the main RB's are gone in my experience.  Becomes a matter or preference late in the first round, and is entirely dependent on league scoring.

41 minutes ago, battlestar said:

But having played against you, you have proven to be a formidable foe so you too need to trust your instincts.

Happy to hear from you Mayor! Hope all is well. Miss you and the gang

God I hope you're wrong equating Williams to Dorsett haha. That one stings. I do think Williams is a demonstrably better football player than Dorsett was with a skill-set that should be more translatable, and an even higher pedigree. Dorsett was partially trusting his draft position and partially dreaming of Luck's deep threat, before Hilton re-signed. He was obviously a reach of epic proportions and I bought into his potential where I could. So you're right that sometimes buying high-pedigree guys going into their 2nd or 3rd years can be a dangerous game. I stand by thinking its good process, but there are plenty of ways you can miss. People who made moves similar to this with guys like Kevin White, Josh Doctson, etc are probably not too happy right now, although the jury is still out on Doctson. 

To me, if Gallup has a good rookie year I probably screwed up, but the potential return on flipping him won't be TOO high unless he is legitimately a Michael Thomas/Keenan Allen type of possession guy. There will be this perceived cap on his value (fair or not) even if he has a good rookie year. Whereas if Mike Williams has a similar year, his pedigree and size will have people jumping to conclusions and seeing him as a potential WR1 type. Fair or not, when I acquire guys like this I usually am envisioning flipping them in the future for something safer, usually in some kind of consolidation move. I'm basically just gambling that Mike Williams will be worth more in that type of deal than Gallup, but who knows. 

1 person likes this

Gallup and Williams are both going to be studs so win win trade I guess. 

Posted (edited)

On 5/14/2018 at 2:51 PM, FreeBaGeL said:

I don't know much about Gallup, but a guy with decent size and athleticism who runs elite routes and has elite college production and good ball skills sounds like an early 1st round pick of the NFL draft, yet Gallup was taken in the mid 3rd, so it seems like something has to give on the descriptions I'm seeing in here as the NFL doesn't seem to see that combination in him.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2018/04/27/post-draft-press-conference-rounds-2-3

Director of Player Personnel Stephen Jones: “I will tell ya, we had some people in that room that were rooting for Gallup with our second pick.”

General manager Jerry Jones: “There’s a lot to like about him. He’s big and athletic. He plays the game the right way. He’s been a productive player for them doing a lot of different kinds of things. He can get vertical down the field. He’s got stature to him. He’s a good run-after-the-catch guy… [He] leaps off the screen at you. Great reports from the school… And we feel he has a real upside too. A lot of qualities that you want in a young receiver… A developmental receiver. But again, a lot of production too.”

They really wanted him in the 2nd round and firmly believe he was a bargain in the 2nd. They got a gift, he be that one WR people regret passing on.

Tex

Tex

Edited by BigTex

5 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

I traded for lots of early to mid 2nd rd picks in my dynasty leagues and didn't draft Gallup in any of them.  In my non-devy leagues he's gone 2.5, 2.6, 2.3, 2.2, and 1.13.

Being in Cowboy Country there’s no way he make it to the 2nd round. 

Tex

5 hours ago, BigTex said:

Being in Cowboy Country there’s no way he make it to the 2nd round. 

Tex

Living in the DMV, I used to hate how Cowboys players would get taken early by Cowboys fans (and sometimes Redskins fans trying to snipe the Cowboys fans). Basically ruined them as value picks. 

20 hours ago, BigTex said:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2018/04/27/post-draft-press-conference-rounds-2-3

Director of Player Personnel Stephen Jones: “I will tell ya, we had some people in that room that were rooting for Gallup with our second pick.”

General manager Jerry Jones: “There’s a lot to like about him. He’s big and athletic. He plays the game the right way. He’s been a productive player for them doing a lot of different kinds of things. He can get vertical down the field. He’s got stature to him. He’s a good run-after-the-catch guy… [He] leaps off the screen at you. Great reports from the school… And we feel he has a real upside too. A lot of qualities that you want in a young receiver… A developmental receiver. But again, a lot of production too.”

They really wanted him in the 2nd round and firmly believe he was a bargain in the 2nd. They got a gift, he be that one WR people regret passing on.

Tex

Tex

Maybe too much hyperbole/optimism for a team looking to move on from Dez?

On 5/15/2018 at 6:57 PM, ConnSKINS26 said:

I am not a fan of Mike Williams and I think he was drafted too high by the Chargers, even so I think your trade makes sense and good luck to you.

Would you have done the same deal for John Ross?

Who thinks he will be the receiving leader for the Cowboys this season?

The Dallas Morning News' Jon Machota thinks third-round WR Michael Gallup will record "around 450 yards and 4 touchdowns" this season.

Machota could see Gallup ending up as the Cowboys' No. 1 option, but even then he does not project a monster season for the rookie. "Whoever [is the leading receiver], I don't think it'll be 1,000 yards and 10 TDs," Machota writes. "I think we're looking more at something like 800 yards and 6-8 TDs." Gallup might not be a WR1 as a rookie, but he could be a useful fantasy option in a wide-open receiver corps. His role will be important to monitor in camp and the preseason.

Source: Dallas Morning News 

May 28 - 10:52 AM

47 minutes ago, the lone star said:

I do and by a wide margin.

Tex

36 minutes ago, BigTex said:

I do and by a wide margin.

Tex

I'm picking Hurns, but we'll see what happens. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Gallup or Beasley.

1 person likes this

Hurns should be the big favorite to lead Dallas in receiving, IMO.

Very interested to see what Gallup can do, though.

If guys like Gallup, Rico, & Austin (or Thompson) come through, the Cowboys will have a vastly improved receiving corps.

If Beasley leads us in receiving, we're in deep, DEEP do-do, LOL.

32 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

If Beasley leads us in receiving, we're in deep, DEEP do-do, LOL.

Like in 2016 when the Cowboys went 13-3?

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Like in 2016 when the Cowboys went 13-3?

I cringe when I hear that. ;) Things were different in 2016. Dez was more Dez, Witten was more Witten, Dak was magical as a rookie, etc.

We don't have a true #1 receiver & if Beasley leads us in receiving again in 2018, we're absolutely screwed, IMO.

Edited by Football Jones

7 hours ago, the lone star said:

I expect Hurns to lead the team this year in receiving. Hurns has done it before and the last two years he has been hampered by some injuries.  But he is capable of leading a team. I like Gallup too and it wouldn't surprise me if he led the team, but I don't expect it.  

I like Gallup until I see who his QB is. 😲

11 hours ago, Slider said:

I like Gallup until I see who his QB is. 😲

Pretty much.

11 hours ago, az_prof said:

I expect Hurns to lead the team this year in receiving. Hurns has done it before and the last two years he has been hampered by some injuries.  But he is capable of leading a team. I like Gallup too and it wouldn't surprise me if he led the team, but I don't expect it.  

I hope that Gallup = more WR screens. That'd be cool.

I'd like to see more RB screens too.

12 hours ago, az_prof said:

Gallup = Juju

He’s going to surprise everyone.

Tex

7 minutes ago, BigTex said:

Gallup = Juju

He’s going to surprise everyone.

Tex

I'm not saying Gallup won't be a great draft pick, but in most leagues I had to decide between Gallup and Miller and chose the latter.  No way was I going to get both, so I ended up with Miller in several leagues and Gallup in none.  I hope that doesn't come back to bite me.

14 hours ago, az_prof said:

I think Hurns may be capable of leading this team but I am not sure that is saying much considering the WR corps around him.