What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Travel ball- how necessary? (1 Viewer)

shadyridr

Footballguy
My 8 year old son (will be 9 in June) has been playing baseball for 4 years for our local little league. He was never really good at it so it was always just a fun thing. But something funny happened last year. He got good. Maybe not the best player on the team but maybe the 3rd best. His fielding is fantastic, hitting is decent, and he pitches. Travel was never even on my mind until this spring. I thought about it but ultimately decided not to pursue it yet because he also plays flag football. I didn't want to burn him out on little league, travel ball, AND flag football. He really likes playing baseball now because he's good at it but I do think if he played too much it would burn him out. Not sure he "loves" it yet. That being said, almost all the good players in his division also play on a travel team. Its insane. Where do people find the time? So while it may be too late to get him on a travel team this spring, I think a travel fall team is definitely in the cards. So am I hurting him by not having him on a travel team?

blackdotting for my response -  shady    I went through it with my daughter and others that are older.   I'll post full response later

In my area our LL is absolutely terrible.  When my son was 9 there were ten 9-yr olds that were drafted to the Majors division of our LL.  We only had 5 teams at the time.  They all held their own and were good enough for at least the B all star team.  Once All-Stars finished another coach and myself asked all the parents of these kids if they were interested in doing a couple tournaments after the all stars finished.  Everyone agreed to do it.  We had 11 kids confirmed.

That summer we played 3 tournaments as 9U and they did well and improved more over those three tournaments than they did over the entire LL season.  The parents approached us to start a travel team and forego playing LL.  Our initial thought was to just do the same thing the following year (play LL, All stars, and then compete in a couple tournaments) but the parents and boys wanted to go travel full time.  Since all the boys play multiple sports we decided to continue the path of travel ball but not go full time. 

We start in February (we are in California) and play through July.  This allows the kids to play soccer/football in the fall and basketball in the winter.  We have followed this schedule so the boys do not get burned out on one sport and we are able to get in 50+ games playing tournaments twice a month with a couple doubleheaders thrown in on the weekends we don't do tournaments.  We are now starting our 12U season and the boys have excelled and really improved over this time. 

Our LL is now down to 3 Majors teams and the level of play is very poor.  If the boys had stayed with that it would have been a disservice to them and their skill development would have been severely hampered.  It was definitely the right choice for our kids.

The advantage we have is that we control the schedule so we can add or subtract tournaments as life happens.  We aren't here to make money doing this and only want to improve the skills (baseball and life) of the boys.  We keep the season shorter than most travel teams in our area but still compete just fine.  Our costs to each player is $500 a year to cover uniforms, insurance, and tournament fees.  We do get a few thousand in donations from various businesses but don't fundraise heavily. 

My caution to you would be to make sure you find a program that fits your needs and isn't a program that is there only to make money.  Travel ball is a huge industry and many organizations take advantage of the parent's dreams of having their kid play professional ball.  They use that to bring in cash.  The experience can be really good and really improve your kid's skills however you have to be diligent in finding an organization that isn't taking advantage of the travel baseball craze. 

I’ll give a blanket opinion because every program is different but travel teams at 9 year olds are a great ego boost for parents.

I do believe in keeping kids busy if the love playing , fall ball is great if they can’t get enough

I totally get your concerns about where people find the time.  One of my nieces travels for a different sport - and is currently in Berlin for it, in fact - and I don't understand how they do it.  But if you can find the time, make it happen as it sounds like your guy is really good.  :)   

Hi Shady, my son played little league/Pony league every spring/fall from around 4-5 years old.  He made the jump to club/travel ball at 10u.  I held out until age 10 because I wanted to hold off on kid pitch at age 8/9 as long as possible.  We did machine pitch up until then.  He has played club ball the past three years and loves it.

9 seems young for travel ball. I didn't even know that was a thing.

Maybe give him another year and do it at 10?

I’ll give a blanket opinion because every program is different but travel teams at 9 year olds are a great ego boost for parents.

I do believe in keeping kids busy if the love playing , fall ball is great if they can’t get enough
Travel teams at any age are a great boost to parent's egos.  It is not isolated to 9 yrs old.

The point at which travel ball should be a consideration is based on the kid's abilities and the rec league challenge they would face.  If rec league is not giving the skill challenge to the kid (and the kid wants to work to get better) then travel ball provides a possible advancement.  Again, this is completely dependent upon the organization.  Do your research.

My son's 16.  Started baseball at 5 with little league at 8 and little league with the travel ball combo at 9 until 13.  The older he got he started liking baseball less and less until he quit at 13 and took up lacrosse which he absolutely loves.  He was a good baseball player, middle of the pack on his travel ball team, and could hold his own on the field.  I think it was a combo of a little burnout and discovering his love for lacrosse.  I guess my point is I think travel ball is fine at that age but don't let that stop him from other sports like flag football, soccer, lacrosse, whatever.  He may find a sport that he loves more than baseball.

In my area our LL is absolutely terrible.  When my son was 9 there were ten 9-yr olds that were drafted to the Majors division of our LL.  We only had 5 teams at the time.  They all held their own and were good enough for at least the B all star team.  Once All-Stars finished another coach and myself asked all the parents of these kids if they were interested in doing a couple tournaments after the all stars finished.  Everyone agreed to do it.  We had 11 kids confirmed.

That summer we played 3 tournaments as 9U and they did well and improved more over those three tournaments than they did over the entire LL season.  The parents approached us to start a travel team and forego playing LL.  Our initial thought was to just do the same thing the following year (play LL, All stars, and then compete in a couple tournaments) but the parents and boys wanted to go travel full time.  Since all the boys play multiple sports we decided to continue the path of travel ball but not go full time. 

We start in February (we are in California) and play through July.  This allows the kids to play soccer/football in the fall and basketball in the winter.  We have followed this schedule so the boys do not get burned out on one sport and we are able to get in 50+ games playing tournaments twice a month with a couple doubleheaders thrown in on the weekends we don't do tournaments.  We are now starting our 12U season and the boys have excelled and really improved over this time. 

Our LL is now down to 3 Majors teams and the level of play is very poor.  If the boys had stayed with that it would have been a disservice to them and their skill development would have been severely hampered.  It was definitely the right choice for our kids.

The advantage we have is that we control the schedule so we can add or subtract tournaments as life happens.  We aren't here to make money doing this and only want to improve the skills (baseball and life) of the boys.  We keep the season shorter than most travel teams in our area but still compete just fine.  Our costs to each player is $500 a year to cover uniforms, insurance, and tournament fees.  We do get a few thousand in donations from various businesses but don't fundraise heavily. 

My caution to you would be to make sure you find a program that fits your needs and isn't a program that is there only to make money.  Travel ball is a huge industry and many organizations take advantage of the parent's dreams of having their kid play professional ball.  They use that to bring in cash.  The experience can be really good and really improve your kid's skills however you have to be diligent in finding an organization that isn't taking advantage of the travel baseball craze. 
Wait a minute, they do this for profit in places?    And then people have the audacity to hold fund raisers to send these kids?   

Unrelated to the question but seems worth mentioning given the topic...I saw some stuff on Twitter earlier today (I think through Andy Staples of SI) that basically said if parents took all the money they spent on rec sports in an effort to chase some kind of college scholarship, but invested that money into a 529 plan over the years, it would likely be enough to pay for their education. 

The amount of money entire families spend on traveling for kids games is insane. 

Wait a minute, they do this for profit in places?    And then people have the audacity to hold fund raisers to send these kids?   
There are many travel ball organizations that are for profit.  They pay their coaches a salary, as well as all the administrators.  The price for your kid to be in these organizations can be huge.  Many have a monthly fee, a uniform fee, a per game fee, a per practice fee, etc,   Most of those are a factory just trying to get as many kids through their doors as possible. 

Some places have coaches that take money.  Or enough to cover their "travel expenses".  They give travel a bad name imo.

We hold fundraisers to pay for our tournaments/uniforms etc because we charge a minimum compared to many other team.  

My son started travel ball last year and I wasn't too sure about it.  They started practice in early February with an indoor batting cage which I thought was ridiculous at the time with how early it was.  They also practiced throwing and running bases in a gym for a while.  Between that team and the city league we were pretty busy but I enjoyed watching him.  I was amazed by how easy you could tell which kids were on the travel team when watching the city league games.  Even though I though it was ridiculous at first I soon realized that it really paid off.

Last year was coach pitch and this year is kid pitch which really worries my son.  I'd say he's a bottom of the lineup hitter and he's afraid of getting hit now so I'm concerned.  He's been doing really well during practice but that's with his friends pitching.  I'm hoping he does well in his first game.

This afternoon he's getting picked up by the coach and driving 20 minutes to an indoor facility to scrimmage since the weather is crap here.  I give these coaches a lot of credit for how much time they put into it.  I will admit that the head coach that gets too carried away with competition though.  I feel like he's living through his kid right now and he's turning his kid into a cocky brat.

There are many travel ball organizations that are for profit.  They pay their coaches a salary, as well as all the administrators.  The price for your kid to be in these organizations can be huge.  Many have a monthly fee, a uniform fee, a per game fee, a per practice fee, etc,   Most of those are a factory just trying to get as many kids through their doors as possible. 
That's terrible.  Sounds about right.  

My son is now a Frosh in college and we went all in on travel ball.  Looking back, I can't believe we sacrificed every spring break and every summer just for him to be on the travel team.  

He was one of the top players on the team and after his Junior year he was selected to be the catcher on a 16-player all-star state team.  He received a lot of interest from about a dozen Midwest D3 colleges.

The funny thing is that after all those years, and all that work, he decided he didn't want to put in 30+ hours a week while being a college student, and he chose to not pursue playing college ball.

Now he goes to college in CO and spends his free time hiking, climbing, and snowboarding.  He is getting the best grades of his life, and seems extremely happy.

Boy, I sure wish we could do it all over again.

My son is now a Frosh in college and we went all in on travel ball.  Looking back, I can't believe we sacrificed every spring break and every summer just for him to be on the travel team.  

He was one of the top players on the team and after his Junior year he was selected to be the catcher on a 16-player all-star state team.  He received a lot of interest from about a dozen Midwest D3 colleges.

The funny thing is that after all those years, and all that work, he decided he didn't want to put in 30+ hours a week while being a college student, and he chose to not pursue playing college ball.

Now he goes to college in CO and spends his free time hiking, climbing, and snowboarding.  He is getting the best grades of his life, and seems extremely happy.

So many people share this feeling. From a risk/reward and even child enjoyment/memory standpoint it really is not a good investment.

My brother had a similar path.  He played a lot of ball through high school and was pretty good.  Got a lot of offers and ended up playing in college.  He eventually quit and focused on his studies.  He is now a student counselor in Houston and doing well.  I don't think my parents or he regret it at all though.  I was pretty young so it was fun for me to go to games and play with other kids there.

So many people share this feeling. From a risk/reward and even child enjoyment/memory standpoint it really is not a good investment.
Yeah, it's pretty sad that we don't even cherish the memories we have of all that travel.  We went to Guatemala, and traveled extensively throughout the entire Midwest. 

The last summer (before his senior year) we simply couldn't wait for it all to end.  He was incredibly bummed that he missed out on so many fun activities and he even told me on several occasions that he lost all his high school friends that summer because he wasn't there to do things with them.  What a fricken waste.

EDIT: to be clear, he played travel ball from 5th through 11th grade.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been my experience in my area.  This is also from a softball perspective so things could be different. Also this is based off my daughters ability so I'll try not to make it LOOK AT ME :lol:

Like many we started in t-ball and rec.  Our local rec softball is not really affiliated with a formal organization (LL, Pony, USSSA etc). 

So our organization offers travel teams.   1 at each "age group"  10u/12u/14u - we actually started an 8u because other towns had them - that lasted 1 year.  We were all against but fell we had to try it.

Anyway,  when my daughter was 8 turning to 9.  The 10u travel coach reached out to me because how well little belljr did.  He played rec until his daughter turned 8 and switch to travel at 9. 

I declined because I did not want to have to deal with that stuff and felt my daughter was not ready.  Well I'm the head coach for my daughters rec team like you. We have evaluations and my daughter ranks the highest.  Our first spring practice of 4th grade and she is 9.  She destroyed 2 kids throwing to them.  I'm driving home and I stop at the travel practice.  Talk to the coach. I told him I know you have a full squad and I'm not looking to join but if my daughter could come practice occasionally.  He allowed it.  Any way she was middle of the pack on the travel team according to him.  She was by far the best player in our rec league that season.

I made the jump to travel and coach with that same coach the following season (10u - she was 10).  I actually regret playing rec that one extra year now :lol:   My daughter actually developed bad habits because she was afraid of hurting some kids.  Our town travel plays in a local league consisted of other travel teams.  A lot of our kids actually outgrew that and we formed a club team.  We have progressed to a point where we can't move to any higher level.  We are 12U.   On our softball board there is a huge difference in philosophy between us. Some want to keep it rec and make sure all girls want to play.  The other half see girls leaving and want to add some "more serious teams to the league".

So presently even our travel league is starting to become not what it was.  There are too many options for travel teams nowadays (and the old board members don't see that).

So that is my personal story and this is how I view it.  There are bad travel programs and good ones.  At a younger age there is no need to charge thousands and thousand of dollars. We charged 500 and did some fund raising. The only way to get better is practice and good practices.  Why I found in rec is MOST of this kids only practice at your alloted time AND for me our league does not allot enough practices.  They just want to play games so kids don't get better.  Some kids develop before others so there is also a chance other kids catch up.

Travel is a lot of "desire" if you really enjoy the game and are having fun travel ball is a blast.  My daughter has been best friends with 3 girls for the 3 years we have been playing.  There are coaches that take travel WAY TOO serious and thats how kids get burned out.  Like Gally pointed out they are just machines trying to say this kids played for us and went to X college!@#!#   You have to find out about an organization.  As the kids get older than yes you start paying more money.  Eventually you will start traveling further and showacase the kids.   If you go into it with "not looking for a payoff" its awesome.  A lot of parent don't realize how hard it is for a kid to get a softball scholarship.  

The reason we switched was my daughter was not challenged. Kids won't get better without being challenged.  Thats not to say some kids can't blossom in rec/town travel but they aren't exposed to tougher pitchers hitter etc.  We have tons of fun. Don't get me wrong our girls work their asses off but its not a chore.  Our Goals are to make the girls the best players they can be.  If their career takes them to College AWESOME, highschool GREAT, if nothing comes out of it, it still has been a ton of fun.  The guy that runs our club organization for our area tells parent it is very rare to have kids going to Floridas/Alabamas etc.   So there is no reason to spend 5000 plus travel cost to go to Michigan/California/Texas when 98% of the girls won't get to that level.  We have plenty of kids play Dii and get partial scholarships etc. but as people mentioned some of these places just chew kids up.

I hope this helps at all

ETA:  Shady feel free to post or PM any questions.  

My brother had a similar path.  He played a lot of ball through high school and was pretty good.  Got a lot of offers and ended up playing in college.  He eventually quit and focused on his studies.  He is now a student counselor in Houston and doing well.  I don't think my parents or he regret it at all though.  I was pretty young so it was fun for me to go to games and play with other kids there.
this was kind of me - except i ended up not playing in college and only had a few offer :)   I hurt my shoulder and took a year off and never went back.  I regret not going all in playing college ball  :shrug:

ETA - it also does depends what team /organization you end up with  some of those guys ...man 

this was kind of me - except i ended up not playing in college and only had a few offer :)   I hurt my shoulder and took a year off and never went back.  I regret not going all in playing college ball  :shrug:
It takes major dedication that's for sure.  I remember playing little league and travel ball when younger but quit right before high school.  I was never a good hitter and never improved yet everyone else did.  I was a great outfielder though and loved it.  If there was a designated outfield position I would have kept playing.

Friend of mine spends 6k(before actual travel costs) a year on his sons travel team 

the idea is to have his son ready to move onto High School and perhaps even college ball 

Hes 12

Friend of mine spends 6k(before actual travel costs) a year on his sons travel team 

the idea is to have his son ready to move onto High School and perhaps even college ball 

Hes 12
thats is completely ridiculous to me. We are a 12u team

We charge 1000 plus some fundraising (this is for FALL and SPring)

I think total per kid for us was 1500ish...

That gets us 14-16 tournaments/indoor workouts/uniforms etc.   That will go up because we are losing our facility.

Anyway all our tournaments are less than 1 hours.   We have one that is ~1.5

We go away away for 3 stay tournaments.  Memorial Day/Nationals and 1 other thats about 2hours away.

Including travel I don't think I've spent 6k in 2.5 years

Hes 12
So is the goal here to make him as great a player as possible, just because, or to get him to college ball and that lust worthy scholarship? And aren't most baseball scholarships partial anyway?

I was a really good player around that age, and might have been able to work myself into that kind of conversation if I kept up with it (and avoided a nasty elbow injury), but it was also right around the time I started to really hate the "organized sports" nature of the whole thing and just preferring to play on random fields with friends. 

Before I quit, my parents spent a bit of money on some high level one on one coaching for me. Over the long haul I could see that having a better ROI on development without the time suck of all those tournaments and travel. 

So is the goal here to make him as great a player as possible, just because, or to get him to college ball and that lust worthy scholarship? And aren't most baseball scholarships partial anyway?

I was a really good player around that age, and might have been able to work myself into that kind of conversation if I kept up with it (and avoided a nasty elbow injury), but it was also right around the time I started to really hate the "organized sports" nature of the whole thing and just preferring to play on random fields with friends. 

Before I quit, my parents spent a bit of money on some high level one on one coaching for me. Over the long haul I could see that having a better ROI on development without the time suck of all those tournaments and travel. 
Most kids that go the full travel ball at some point are doing one-on-ones in addition. 

Yes.  His post was spot on.  There is a lot of corruption in youth travel sports.  Too many things are cash only and a lot of times nobody is watching the organizer.  

My 8 year old son (will be 9 in June) has been playing baseball for 4 years for our local little league. He was never really good at it so it was always just a fun thing. But something funny happened last year. He got good. Maybe not the best player on the team but maybe the 3rd best. His fielding is fantastic, hitting is decent, and he pitches. Travel was never even on my mind until this spring. I thought about it but ultimately decided not to pursue it yet because he also plays flag football. I didn't want to burn him out on little league, travel ball, AND flag football. He really likes playing baseball now because he's good at it but I do think if he played too much it would burn him out. Not sure he "loves" it yet. That being said, almost all the good players in his division also play on a travel team. Its insane. Where do people find the time? So while it may be too late to get him on a travel team this spring, I think a travel fall team is definitely in the cards. So am I hurting him by not having him on a travel team?
Good news 1: Your question has been answered: No, you're not hurting him by not playing travel ball at 8/9, and to apply a true cliche here, if he's good enough, he'll be noticed.

Good news 2: Thanks to the many replies you've gotten already, you'll be spared my long-winded response.

Bad news 1: You/he WILL HAVE TO put in a lot of 'extra' work the longer he wants to play. Some of it is costly, a lot of it doesn't have to be. 

Bad news 2: I will still give you my .02, since this is one of the few topics I'm passionate about and can speak fairly knowledgeably on.

Anyway, getting into baseball is tough because the game itself is built on failure and even the most diligent worker isn't guaranteed any amount of success. It creates a climate where folks looking to cash in on your anxieties vis a vis your kid's future can make a killing, but most can be sniffed out and will eventually lose business when word gets out that they don't deliver on what they promise.  It is a tremendous commitment of time, money and emotions, but if you don't look for "return on investment" in terms of money/educational opportunities but rather creating memories and building character among other intangibles, then hopefully you see the cost in a different light. For example, one of the more expensive things my son's travel team did was at age 12, when they went to Cooperstown for week-long 'tournament', and I can't put a price tag on the memories we both had there.  

You made a comment that I hope you return to often: Not sure if he "loves" it yet.  That should be the driving force behind all of this, and that's what you go to when you or others start to count the cost.  My son took to the game before he was old enough to play for any organization(one of my favorite memories with him was playing wiffleball with him from when he was about 2 in the courtyard of the condo complex we lived in), and to this day, when he plays the game as a freshman in college, he lights up more than he does anywhere else, except maybe when he's hanging out with his friends, most of whom he met playing with and against when he was growing up. For that reason, I will never regret any of the time or money we spent on baseball over the years.

I feel I could go on, but again, you have a lot of good replies on both sides of the issue to chew on.  Bottom line, if he loves it--and you'll get a sense of that by watching him play--proceed full speed ahead and try to enjoy every minute. My son was on the same travel team the bulk of his years up to age 13. They were pretty mediocre record-wise and got absolutely pummeled more times than I care to remember, but now I even look back on those games with a certain fondness, because even when it was bad, my son was still doing something he truly loved and that made it all worthwhile.

Hurting him?

Assuming you mean he wont develop as good as the other kids if he is not playing?

I wouldn't worry about that aspect. Everyone gets caught up in my kid has to play in so and so league to get better or they will fall behind.

I'd do it if the below was in play

#1 does he want to do it?

#2 do you have the disposable cash to do it

#3 do you have the disposable time to do it

Most of these leagues are just someone making up a team cause their son didn't make the other team or one dad didn't get along with another dad etc...

These things can be time consuming and a pain but I would consider it just to have your kid playing and being able to watch him.

Another 10 years and he will be looking into college/work and grinding out a 9-5.

Our times are limited with our children. Watching them play sports will be a loving memory of yours. In no time you will be working on resumes with him and talking about 401ks and cholesterol counts. 

Dont let anyone guilt you if you dont want to do it for any reason at all. Or if you wanna do a local fall league instead of a travel team.

I

thats is completely ridiculous to me. We are a 12u team

We charge 1000 plus some fundraising (this is for FALL and SPring)

I think total per kid for us was 1500ish...

That gets us 14-16 tournaments/indoor workouts/uniforms etc.   That will go up because we are losing our facility.

Anyway all our tournaments are less than 1 hours.   We have one that is ~1.5

We go away away for 3 stay tournaments.  Memorial Day/Nationals and 1 other thats about 2hours away.

Including travel I don't think I've spent 6k in 2.5 years
We charge $500 total for Feb thru July.  That includes about 50 games, insurance, and uniform.  Most or our tournaments are within 90 minutes of our area. 

Paying upwards of $6K is absolutely ridiculous and not needed.  If that is what is being paid I doubt they care much about developing the total kid and are more of a factory to get more money.

As has been said many times in here, investigate the organization and find one that fits your needs.  They are out there.  

I’ve seen a good hybrid here locally with younger 8/9/10 kids where some of the “better” ones are able to also play on a league supported tournament team that might play 4-8 total games in March/April. Makes for some nice extra baseball that’s more competitive than their rec league games, without being too crazy. 

Also it helps these kids get ready for summer all star events. Around here June and early July is pretty busy for the all star teams and then our parents are usually level headed enough to call it quits by mid July and not pick up baseball again til after Labor Day for the kids that want to play in fall. 

I have managed several travel ball teams throughout the years and have a lot of experience in this field. Here are my random thoughts on travel ball:

I think it's less important for travel ball at your kids age. The older they get, it is extremely important. In the high school years, if your kid is good, you are doing him a disservice by not playing for a travel ball team that goes to the elite tournaments. How many scouts do you think travel out to high school games to watch a player or 2? You go to a tournament such as the Wood Bat Nationals in Marietta, GA and there are 1 or more scouts at every game. The competition is also so much better. We played our local 6A high school in the fall and smoked them.For the younger kids, it's all about the coaching of fundamentals and the increased competition. I would not ever suggest extreme travel at the younger ages.

A lot of travel teams are scams just for money. We had a few of those around here ran by ex "major leaguers." These guys all saw 1 or 2 games in the bigs and now charge tons of money for their teams. These teams don't care about how good players are just about who will cut the check. They don't usually offer 1 on 1 service without that being an upcharge.

It can be very expensive to play travel ball. There are a lot of factors that people don't understand. For example, little leagues get free use of the city's fields. As travel teams, we had to rent the fields. For double headers, you have to pay the umpires anywhere from $50-75 per game, per umpire and you need at least 2 per game. You also have to carry insurance for the players and then at least 1 bucket of baseballs, not of the walmart variety.

What I did for the fees is come up with a starting fee to cover balls, insurance, and uniforms. We did have 1 set of catchers gear for emergency situations if our starting catchers could not attend or play. From there, we just charged kids by the weekend. Tournaments for the younger kids are a lot cheaper and we didn't travel too far for those. You should not be concerned with getting scouted until the kids are high school ages.

Also, keep in mind, those scholarships to D1 colleges just don't happen very often. You are showcasing your kids to junior colleges and community colleges. The most important age for this is 16 and 17. They are not usually too interested in the 18 yr olds unless they are best in class. The things we really stressed to our kids was sportsmanship, hustle, and fundamental baseball. Nothing kills a kids chances like striking out and then throwing their helmet.

Most importantly, this all needs to be fun. Please don't ever make your kids do this just because you didn't make it. My kid loved the game and really had a chance to make it but decided he wanted to pursue different challenges in life when he was a junior in high school. He still regrets his decisions but that's life. Luckily for him and myself, these were some of the greatest days we ever had as a family.

I don't get the college angle.  Seems like even hoping for a scholarship, you are spending how much per summer for what 8 or 9 years?  All those hotels, the food.  I mean I can't travel out of town for under $700 for a weekend.  Times say what 10 per year?  So you are paying out about $50k+ in hopes of a most likely partial scholarship?  Doesn't seem like a very wise investment, and that's IF it pays off.    

Plus then you have people like me who are very cynical thinking you are only trying to live out your hoop dreams through you kids.  I also view the parents as just basically having a vacation club that goes to a different town each weekend, and then has the audacity to fundraise for that.  

Poor form.  As with everything, Americans have pretty much ruined a good thing by pushing it to the extreme.  

Not to mention a lot of the kids look down their noses at kids can't make it, when in all reality their parents simply can't afford it.  So you have some socio-economic bull#### happening too.  

Glad my kids tapped out early.  

I don't get the college angle.  Seems like even hoping for a scholarship, you are spending how much per summer for what 8 or 9 years?  All those hotels, the food.  I mean I can't travel out of town for under $700 for a weekend.  Times say what 10 per year?  So you are paying out about $50k+ in hopes of a most likely partial scholarship?  Doesn't seem like a very wise investment, and that's IF it pays off.    

Plus then you have people like me who are very cynical thinking you are only trying to live out your hoop dreams through you kids.  I also view the parents as just basically having a vacation club that goes to a different town each weekend, and then has the audacity to fundraise for that.  

Poor form.  As with everything, Americans have pretty much ruined a good thing by pushing it to the extreme.  

Not to mention a lot of the kids look down their noses at kids can't make it, when in all reality their parents simply can't afford it.  So you have some socio-economic bull#### happening too.  

Travel doesn't mean hotel stays every weekend.

Travel means you might go 30-90 minutes for tournaments or games.   We stay away for 2 big tournaments

I might send 3-4k a year.  And we treat the away as vacations. 

Gotcha, up where I live, people are looking at maybe one or to within 2 hours of here per year.  So these people are truly traveling every weekend.  We just don't have the population to have tournaments that close.  And the constant fundraising is a product of both the depressed area and the length of travel needed.  It's relentless around here.  

About the college angle, I will admit to having those thoughts until my son was 10 and learned that there is no such thing as a full ride in baseball, or they exist for that 1 kid in 10,000 or more that's THAT talented.  I will agree with UncleZen's post about the 'important' years for kids hoping to play in college, but I would add that while there are showcases that advertise that college scouts are going to be there, they very rarely just hang out and catch as many games as possible.  They usually know which specific kid(s) and/or team(s) they want to see.  For example, my son's club team the Summer before his senior year went to Perfect Game, which takes place in and around the Atlanta area and attracts a ton of teams.  The reality was that they were looking for pitchers that could hit 90 mph on the speed gun, or played on high-profile "regional" teams that only met to play in high profile tournaments.  I would advise that for the rank and file ballplayers at that age, go to the camps that the schools they're interested in attending and be seen by the coach.  My son's club team went to one such camp, and it happened that a coach from a school we had never heard of was there and liked the way he carried himself on the field (supporting the UncleZen's comment about attitude counting), and ultimately led to my son committing to that school.  Truth be told, that was the only school that showed more interest beyond sending an email inviting him to come to their camp.  In fact, I would almost say that for most kids, that may be the better route to getting to play ball in college, and what doesn't get mentioned much is that in addition to varsity sports, many schools, if they're big enough, will have club teams as well.

But this thread isn't about college ball as much as it is agonizing over whether an 9 year old is going to play travel ball yet. Just so you know, shady, I would love to be back in your shoes and agonize over my son's sports all over again.  I said it before but it's worth repeating: ENJOY.EVERY.MOMENT.OF.THIS.TIME.  :)

Gotcha, up where I live, people are looking at maybe one or to within 2 hours of here per year.  So these people are truly traveling every weekend.  We just don't have the population to have tournaments that close.  And the constant fundraising is a product of both the depressed area and the length of travel needed.  It's relentless around here.  
Ah yes that's a bit different.  We actually have a town travel team that basically plays towns all around here 15 to 20 minutes tops.

We moved to club. Which is kids from all around the area. Eventually as they get older they will play showcase events after the high school season ends

Sorry for the hijack shady

I've had three boys grow up participating in travel baseball.  I think experience varies from kid to kid, family to family and program to program.  I'm happy to give you my opinions if you want to PM me.

Travel ball is the new little league.  At some point kids with talent started leaving little league programs for skilled "professional" instruction.  Whether it be to gain an edge, keep up with the Jones', feeding parent egos, etc... Little league programs have been absolutely depleted of talent...player and coaching talent.  Your average Joe kids are now playing on community travel teams and those more talented ones have moved on to "club" teams.  The same things have happened in soccer and basketball from my experience.

Sabertooth said:

When my son was playing travel ball he originally intended to play in college.  But, he understood that most of the opportunities were with non-D1 programs, and he seemed good with that.  Then, when the reality set in, and he realized the D3 schools that wanted him were smaller than his high school, and that they were tucked away in areas he would never consider living, he noped right the heck out of there.

He chose Colorado State because of its size, location, and outdoor recreational activities, and because he didn't have to wait a year or two to find out if he would be accepted into their biz program.  He has been working in a corp IT department for 3 years already and he wants to build on that.

Looking back, I wish I had known all along that the end goal was to get him a good education that could launch him into his adult phase of life.  If we had focused on that instead of being enamored with the idea of him playing in college we never would have spent all that time and money on travel ball at the expense of doing so many other things during such an important time of his life.

When my son was playing travel ball he originally intended to play in college.  But, he understood that most of the opportunities were with non-D1 programs, and he seemed good with that.  Then, when the reality set in, and he realized the D3 schools that wanted him were smaller than his high school, and that they were tucked away in areas he would never consider living, he noped right the heck out of there.

He chose Colorado State because of its size, location, and outdoor recreational activities, and because he didn't have to wait a year or two to find out if he would be accepted into their biz program.  He has been working in a corp IT department for 3 years already and he wants to build on that.

Looking back, I wish I had known all along that the end goal was to get him a good education that could launch him into his adult phase of life.  If we had focused on that instead of being enamored with the idea of him playing in college we never would have spent all that time and money on travel ball at the expense of doing so many other things during such an important time of his life.
Well put.  They are only young once.  I do not regret my kids getting out of baseball early.  Not one bit.  I especially don't regret it when we are sitting around a campfire in the summer.  

I have now seen a few people with this type of regret.  It really surprises me.  Just because you don't get a college scholarship (or even play in college) doesn't mean that the experience of playing a sport throughout your youth was wasted.  Away tournaments with your team was some of the best time I spent as a kid.  It's one of the favorite parts for my son (playing the pool after games with his teammates) and seeing many different areas of our country.  Why is this considered such a bad thing in retrospect?  Experiences come in all shapes and sizes. 

Watching my son & daughter play is a treat no matter how they perform or what comes out of it in the future.  Spending family time together seeing areas and things you wouldn't otherwise see isn't a bad thing.  Sure, it's different than spending a week at the beach or skiing but it still family time and as long as everyone is having fun at the time why is that so bad? 

It has been mentioned a few times in this thread - if the only reason you are doing travel ball is to get a scholarship or play in the Majors then you are going about it all wrong.  Your kid should have fun and work hard trying to get to the best of their abilities and not worry about where it will take him.  If it's not fun and you don't like vacations surrounding a sport then you shouldn't do it. 

All of my son's friends are because of the sports he has played.  He enjoys spending time playing the game (regardless of the sport) with his friends and going to tournaments at various locations.  Right now (he is 12) he wants to play MLB and knows it probably won't happen but he wants to give it his best shot.  I can't imagine getting to a point down the road where he or I would regret the time spent playing games he enjoys with his friends regardless of whether he makes it to the Show or not. 

I am just really shocked to see how much regret people have over spending time playing a game.  If your kid or you feel playing a sport is too much work and isn't fun you should stop immediately but as long as you enjoy the time spent together there should be no regrets regardless of where your life in sports takes you.

Users who are viewing this thread