What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordan Matthews signed by Patriots (1 Viewer)

:towelwave:

I'm probably too optimistic but this is perfect for JM. lesser talents than he have been really successful there.

:oldunsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this move a lot. Matthews is very talented and, if recovered from injury, carve out a nice role in this offense.

I like this move a lot. Matthews is very talented and, if recovered from injury, carve out a nice role in this offense.
This feels less like a Cooks replacement and more like an Amendola replacement. Matthews is incapable of playing anywhere but the slot, and NE has at least 1 guy better than him at it. 

If anything I think Kenny Britt might be the sneaky guy in the Patriots passing game.

The bad thing about the Pats is you can never count on anyone in FF except Brady. You just never know who's going to get the ball. Or Gronk if he's healthy.

I think this is sweet for NE and sweet for Jmatts dynasty stock which i happen to own a bit of so wheels up baby!

Nice move...was hoping this would happen when they brought him in for a visit...they needed some more depth at this position...should be a nice battle in camp...Edelman, Hogan and Mitchell are your definites...Slater and Patterson are WRs but really special teams guys...that leaves a couple of spots between Matthews, Britt, Dorsett and the McCarron kid who is getting a little love of late from some of the local media...I'd really like to see Matthews carve out a role for himself...

Matthews dynasty stock just took a nice little bump. Was getting mildly concerned as someone who bought low last year.

Nice move...was hoping this would happen when they brought him in for a visit...they needed some more depth at this position...should be a nice battle in camp...Edelman, Hogan and Mitchell are your definites...Slater and Patterson are WRs but really special teams guys...that leaves a couple of spots between Matthews, Britt, Dorsett and the McCarron kid who is getting a little love of late from some of the local media...I'd really like to see Matthews carve out a role for himself...
I wonder what the concern level is on Edelman. He's had some health issues the last few years, he is turning 32 in May and players at that age don't always fully come back from ACL tears. Julian really depends on his quickness.

I wonder what the concern level is on Edelman. He's had some health issues the last few years, he is turning 32 in May and players at that age don't always fully come back from ACL tears. Julian really depends on his quickness.
The word I have heard is he is fine but overall he has had his injury issues and the balls out way he plays he is always a threat to get hurt...they really can't afford to loose him...he is such a key cog of how they want to play...

I would consider selling "high" if there gets to be any kind of hype during the offseason process. He could still be cut before the season starts IMO. 
Why would he be cut? Rotoworld implied that too. Makes not much sense to me unless his injuries are truly chronic.

Why would he be cut? Rotoworld implied that too. Makes not much sense to me unless his injuries are truly chronic.
Veteran WRs are always a wildcard with the Pats...you just never know if they can figure out the offense as well as earning Brady's trust...the list of veteran WRs who looked promising when they were signed but did not pan out is long...I really like this move but it is far from a definite...

Veteran WRs are always a wildcard with the Pats...you just never know if they can figure out the offense as well as earning Brady's trust...the list of veteran WRs who looked promising when they were signed but did not pan out is long...I really like this move but it is far from a definite...
I get that angle but Matthews is a smart guy and very professional in how he approaches the game. I don’t believe there would be any issues with fit. Certainly a cheap one year deal makes anyone’s roster spot a bit uncertain so I get that. Maybe I’m just a bit more optimistic about this than most - certainly it seems most of the fantasy community has written off Matthews already and it wouldn’t matter where he went or what he did.  

Solid signing.  Matthews is a good pro.  He won't blow up and will be a better football player than fantasy player.......but he'll be a nice weapon for Brady and will get some. 

Oh, I didn't even read the RW blurb. Like what Boston said and also my perception (which could be way wrong) is that him not signing until now and only for 1 year is not a good sign about his health. I see this:

6'3"  212, 4.46, 25 years old, 2nd round pick, last year was a bit of a lost season but before that he was averaging 890 and 6 TDs. 

If Moncrief and Ryan Grant got deals quickly, how does Jordan Matthews get passed over unless he's broken? 

I get that angle but Matthews is a smart guy and very professional in how he approaches the game. I don’t believe there would be any issues with fit. Certainly a cheap one year deal makes anyone’s roster spot a bit uncertain so I get that. Maybe I’m just a bit more optimistic about this than most - certainly it seems most of the fantasy community has written off Matthews already and it wouldn’t matter where he went or what he did.  

Oh, I didn't even read the RW blurb. Like what Boston said and also my perception (which could be way wrong) is that him not signing until now and only for 1 year is not a good sign about his health. I see this:

6'3"  212, 4.46, 25 years old, 2nd round pick, last year was a bit of a lost season but before that he was averaging 890 and 6 TDs. 

If Moncrief and Ryan Grant got deals quickly, how does Jordan Matthews get passed over unless he's broken? 
He left Arizona because they weren't offering enough money. I don't know how that offer compares to this deal but I'd guess he would take less on a one year deal with Brady than anywhere else. 

I think he was what I thought he was before he was drafted. A solid receiver but not special. Thankfully for him, the Patriots succeed with those types of players. 

But the point made earlier about this being better for real ball than FF seems spot on. 

Doesn't edleman only have one more year on his deal?  Either way I bet he's not in new England much longer either cause ne won't pay him

Fwiw, in 2016 Matthews only had one more dropped pass than Edelman. 40 fewer targets... 
Yep the “drops” thing with Matthews is just something people repeat for some reason. It’s not really based on anything IMO

Doesn't edleman only have one more year on his deal?  Either way I bet he's not in new England much longer either cause ne won't pay him
Not sure, I know he just extended last summer but  I am sure it was a short term deal that the Pats can get out of when they need to. 

Yep the “drops” thing with Matthews is just something people repeat for some reason. It’s not really based on anything IMO
Hmmm, maybe I just saw the games where he had drops, but it seemed like every game I saw him play with the Eagles, he dropped an easy one or didn't pull in what would have been a tough catch (but not called a drop). 

Hmmm, maybe I just saw the games where he had drops, but it seemed like every game I saw him play with the Eagles, he dropped an easy one or didn't pull in what would have been a tough catch (but not called a drop). 
it definitely did seem like that.  there is no official drop stat or criteria, so it is hard to know for sure how to compare guys.

Man crazy that they’re taking on this headache. 3 teams in past 3 years. Must be a cancer just like Cooks. I mean how else to exaplain 3 teams in 3 years? Right, right?

This feels less like a Cooks replacement and more like an Amendola replacement. Matthews is incapable of playing anywhere but the slot, and NE has at least 1 guy better than him at it. 

If anything I think Kenny Britt might be the sneaky guy in the Patriots passing game.
malcolm mitchell baby

Man crazy that they’re taking on this headache. 3 teams in past 3 years. Must be a cancer just like Cooks. I mean how else to exaplain 3 teams in 3 years? Right, right?
I know you’re saying it in jest because it’s a bad thought process displayed here but people are going to have to get used to these rookie contracts being treated as cheap, disposable assets. Very few players will remain with their respective teams when the contract is up and on the last year of the contract these players will be traded to get future assets by teams who assume they won’t be competing to teams that think they will be competing. I expect three teams in three years to become a bit of a normal practice in the NFL. The “new” rookie contract has changed the dynamic of free agency and the trade market.

pbandy1 said:
malcolm mitchell baby
Mitchell has had chronic knee issues dating back to college that don’t appear to be getting better or going away. I don’t see how anyone could feel confident in his ability to stay on the field at this point. He just missed an entire season on something I don’t even think he had surgery on. Sure, I am sure the Pats HOPE he may be able to play and have a role, but I am not sure even they know what he will be able to do. 

Mitchell has had chronic knee issues dating back to college that don’t appear to be getting better or going away. I don’t see how anyone could feel confident in his ability to stay on the field at this point. He just missed an entire season on something I don’t even think he had surgery on. Sure, I am sure the Pats HOPE he may be able to play and have a role, but I am not sure even they know what he will be able to do. 
damn you are right - his knee issues are legit. Didn't realize that.

Ugh net net I don’t see how this helps the Pats or Brady. Keep Brandon Cooks.  Second year in the Pats offense likely would have been better.  Brady going to turn 41 next season and will have less weapons. Unless they get a QB or OBJ I hate this move.  Jordan Matthews sorta helps.

He really is your new Amendola

what Pats will need is an outside presence srill. I like Janes Washington with pick 43 as a nice match for this team. Allow them to get OL and maybe Evans or CB in the first.m

Considering he’s only played 16 games twice in his career, he’s coming off a blown ACL and they just signed another slot WR, I wouldn’t put money on it.
I would. Before he tore his ACL, he had atleast 130 targets in 3/4 years. If you think Matthews has any effect on an even somewhat healthy Edelman, you’re fooling yourself. There’s a better chance he’s not on the team opening day than for that to happen.

I don't get why Matthews owners are getting hyped in here. NE lost their backup/situational slot guy and signed a new backup slot guy. Reportedly a cheap one year deal. 

I get that Matthews' drop problems have been exaggerated, but let's not forget that the guy he's replacing had some of the best hands in the NFL. Matthews is going to look like Ted Ginn when compared to Amendola which isn't going to help his trust with Brady. So while I think Matthews is at least an average if not above average slot WR, he's not taking snaps from Edelman and he's probably not going to have as large of a role as Amendola.

As far as hands go, I'd say they should be ranked: 1) Amendola 2) Edelman 3) Matthews... with a full tier or two between 2/3. 

Best case scenario (realistically), outside of all the other WRs missing time, is that this is an audition for next year. They signed him to a one year deal and will probably play him sparingly this season, but Edelman will be 33 next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they either cut Edelman next year ($1.7M dead cap out of $4.7M) or phase him out. If Matthews looks competent (but on low volume), it might be a good buy low opportunity. If I owned him, though, and had an opportunity to sell high on this news, I'd absolutely do it. Matthews' career trajectory is not looking good. I'd say odds are against him ever being a guy you start with confidence again, even in your WR3 spot.

Side note: that rotoworld blurb is pretty dumb. "He's the opposite of Cooks' deep threat." Sure, he's a slot guy, but he is 6'3" and ran a 4.46. He's not slow. His speed score is 90th percentile!

. Matthews' career trajectory is not looking good. I'd say odds are against him ever being a guy you start with confidence again, even in your WR3 spot.
He had a bad 17. But his first few years are vastly superior to Edelman's first 4. 

Disagree on whether he'll be a good wr3 or better "ever". 

You might be right about 2018. 

Good point and one I would like to comment on more broadly. 

I would like to see the Patriots start to move away from taking so many players like this. 

Yes, I know Gronkowski (with his back) was an injury guy from college but I mean more from the knee perspective. It seems like way too many of these “he has huge upside BUT had numerous knee issues in college” guys do not pan out in the pros - DUE TO THESE PRE-EXISTING KNEE ISSUES. 

Stop taking them!  

He had a bad 17. But his first few years are vastly superior to Edelman's first 4. 

Not really onboard on the Edelman comparasion...first of all Edelman was a 7th round pick who played QB in college while Matthews was a second round pick...Edelman was a project while Matthews was expected to produce right away which he did to a point...the Pats were real high on Edelman but he could not stay healthy...that was his issue...once he became more reliable his career took off...JM’s career has been up and down so far...he is still young, talented and has upside but there is a reason he is currently on a 1 year prove it deal...he is not trending in the right direction at this point of his career...as stated before I really like this signing...he just seems like a good fit for the Pats and he is someone who could end up playing a few years for them...that being said until we see him play in this offense and how he meshes with Brady it is still a mystery....Edelman was a guy that formed a bond with Brady early and while it was a little bumpy early it always felt not if but when he would produce which obviously did happen...

Good point and one I would like to comment on more broadly. 

I would like to see the Patriots start to move away from taking so many players like this. 

Yes, I know Gronkowski (with his back) was an injury guy from college but I mean more from the knee perspective. It seems like way too many of these “he has huge upside BUT had numerous knee issues in college” guys do not pan out in the pros - DUE TO THESE PRE-EXISTING KNEE ISSUES. 

Stop taking them!  
The good news is we got a first round talent in the 4th round...the bad news is he has bad knees (Easley) or is a gangbanger (TE never to be named)...

That's how life goes as a 7th round pick vs. a 2nd round pick. You have to wait your turn and earn your opportunities. Not every 7th round pick can pull a Colston - the stars really have to align for that to happen. Most of them languish in obscurity for several years. 

As a 2nd round pick, Matthews has been given several opportunities. He played for two different coaching staffs in Philly and Buffalo traded for him. NFL GMs aren't unlike fantasy GMs in that they do seem to value the unknown over the unexciting. Matthews' last two years are clearly part of a downward slope. If he does enough this year to prove he shouldn't be written off and forgotten then he might earn enough of a role to put up WR3 stats in the slot somewhere. I never said he won't ever be a WR3. I just said the odds are against it at this point. 

I think a good comp for Matthews would be Torrey Smith (not due to playing style, but career trajectory and draft pedigree). A fellow 2nd round pick thrown right into a starter's role, his first four years were clearly better than Matthews' first four years. His talent was evident, but not dominant. He's not old (29 - still a WR's prime), but he's largely been a forgotten man since his rookie contract expired. He's still hanging on in the NFL. Started for SF for two years and Philly last year. Has a shot to start for Carolina and put up some points in the Ted Ginn role. But odds are against him being fantasy relevant again, too. A hot start to a career doesn't mean as much as you might think.

That's how life goes as a 7th round pick vs. a 2nd round pick. You have to wait your turn and earn your opportunities. Not every 7th round pick can pull a Colston - the stars really have to align for that to happen. Most of them languish in obscurity for several years. 

As a 2nd round pick, Matthews has been given several opportunities. He played for two different coaching staffs in Philly and Buffalo traded for him. NFL GMs aren't unlike fantasy GMs in that they do seem to value the unknown over the unexciting. Matthews' last two years are clearly part of a downward slope. If he does enough this year to prove he shouldn't be written off and forgotten then he might earn enough of a role to put up WR3 stats in the slot somewhere. I never said he won't ever be a WR3. I just said the odds are against it at this point. 

I think a good comp for Matthews would be Torrey Smith (not due to playing style, but career trajectory and draft pedigree). A fellow 2nd round pick thrown right into a starter's role, his first four years were clearly better than Matthews' first four years. His talent was evident, but not dominant. He's not old (29 - still a WR's prime), but he's largely been a forgotten man since his rookie contract expired. He's still hanging on in the NFL. Started for SF for two years and Philly last year. Has a shot to start for Carolina and put up some points in the Ted Ginn role. But odds are against him being fantasy relevant again, too. A hot start to a career doesn't mean as much as you might think.
Staying in-house I would say the  best case scenario is a Brandon LaFell...former second round pick who never quite got it going with Carolina but came to the Pats and had a very good year...if The Pats could get anything close to a season like he had that first year they would be ecstatic...

Staying in-house I would say the best case scenario is a Brandon LaFell...former second round pick who never quite got it going with zcarolina but came to the Pats and had a very good year...if The Pats could get anything close to a season like he had that first year they would be ecstatic...
I like that comp and it could happen (a career revival), but LaFell played only on the outside, right? And Matthews is primarily a slot WR. I really think they might be auditioning him to potentially take over the slot in 2019, but he doesn't fit their mold (obviously NE likes to break the mold every few years, tho) being a larger slot guy who doesn't strike me as a YAC type of guy. His hands are definitely less reliable than Edelman, but I'm guessing his drop rate is comparable to Welker's (his hands weren't the best). 

I like that comp and it could happen (a career revival), but LaFell played only on the outside, right? And Matthews is primarily a slot WR. I really think they might be auditioning him to potentially take over the slot in 2019, but he doesn't fit their mold (obviously NE likes to break the mold every few years, tho) being a larger slot guy who doesn't strike me as a YAC type of guy. His hands are definitely less reliable than Edelman, but I'm guessing his drop rate is comparable to Welker's (his hands weren't the best). 
I really wasn’t comparing their strengths...more career path...

If he is going to take over the slot he will have to show he can take a beating...hard to believe there are any players who have taken more hellacious hits in the past decade than Welker and Edelman...playing slot for the Pats is as physical as it gets...

I really wasn’t comparing their strengths...more career path...
That's why I said I agreed with the career revival comp. Was just pointing out why I'm not sure there's a clear enough role for him on NE to do that. I've never understood Matthews being limited to the slot. He's got the size and speed to play outside. Maybe they plan to turn him into Lafell?

Users who are viewing this thread