What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 draft: Rank the QBs. #1. POLL CLOSED! (1 Viewer)

Who is your top QB in the 2018 draft?

• Darnold

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • Mayfield

Votes: 26 35.6%
  • Allen

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rosen

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • Jackson

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Rudolph

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Lauletta

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Falk

• Litton

• other

• Total voters

daveR

Footballguy
Lots of opinions.  Rank the QBs.

Results:  Mayfield 25 votes 35%

Darnold and Rosen 19 26%

Last edited by a moderator:
Will it be better to do this way or just rank and than give value afterwards 

My rankings

1. Rosen. The most complete. Only issue is health concerns from past
  2. Allen. I think biggest upside with risk also. Accuracy issues not concern as part of we’re playing. Love his off-season. Off the charts
  3. Darnold. Most will have him higher. He looks the part but Allen outshone him a little. Like him still. 
  4. Mayfield. Always worry about Big 12 QB and height. His arm not as good as top 3.To be Brees, so got to have huge desire and right system. Brees was good with Chargers only if one remembers. 
  5. Rudolph. He has a good arm and ability to play well. Will be more game manager ala Dalton. 
  6. Lauletta. He has good intangibles. Kind of Garappolo like. 
  7. Jackson. Great physical traits ala Vince Young. That wonderlic score worries me to learn NFL system. 
  8. Mike White. Probably career backup but could start down road or in pinch like Schabb or Foles
  9. Falk. Like White
  10. Litton. 

Are we ranking them for how we see them as actual NFL prospects or for fantasy football purposes?

I posted this in a different thread, but its probably more appropriate here:

Baker Mayfield is the best player in the draft in my opinion, and the best QB to come out in at least 3 years. His height is the only negative I see about him, and that is a flimsy one at best, since it can be schemed around. Mayfield has a great arm, great accuracy, and top notch competitive spirit. He's also an outstanding decision maker, and knows when to take the shot, and when to check down. I hate comparing unproven rookies to hall of fame caliber guys, but man does Mayfield remind me of Drew Brees. 

Sam Darnold is the prototype NFL QB. His measurements will get him drafted ahead of Mayfield, but his talent isn't that far behind. He's the #2 QB of the last 3 drafts in my opinion. He's a little less NFL ready, and would be best served sitting behind a veteran for a year. Giants would be a perfect fit in my opinion, but it sure sounds like he's headed to Cleveland. He's got very good arm strength and can fit the ball in windows many QB's wouldn't dream of, of course that also gets him into trouble sometimes. In these ways he reminds me of another former USC QB, Carson Palmer. 

Josh Rosen brings a lot of similar things to the table as Darnold, but I think he's closer to a finished product than Darnold is, and likely has a lower ceiling. He's another guy who can fit balls into the tightest of windows, but sometimes makes odd decisions and throws balls that are basically impossible to complete. If I had to make a comparison I'd say Matthew Stafford. Like Stafford, he may be best served to be behind a veteran initially, Stafford never had that luxury, but I feel he'd have benefited from it.

I'd take all 3 of these guys over Barkley without a second thought unless I was set at QB. I also like Quenton Nelson and Derwin James more as well.

I like Mason Rudolph a lot as a nice consolation prize for somebody who waits a bit at QB. He's very accurate and has an underrated arm. He really impressed me with his ability to keep his eyes downfield when pressured. I think he's being unfairly punished because he had great WR's and played in a conference that doesn't play much defense. I'd profile him as sort of what Matt Schaub once was.

Lamar Jackson is a lot more of a sure thing than he is given credit for, but conversely, I think his ceiling is actually a bit lower than most. He's not accurate enough to be a fit for what a lot of teams want to do. He's on the Michael Vick/Tyrod Taylor spectrum. Taylor is probably his floor, but Vick is probably his ceiling. If he goes to a coach who is willing to accept that, and not try to square peg round hole him, he should be a solid NFL starter. He's also a guy who I think could be thrown in instantly, where you deal with the inconsistency and let him take his lumps, because of the big plays he'll bring.

Josh Allen screams bust to me. But, he certainly has everything you look for when he's doing 7-on-7's in shorts. Big, strong arm, mobile. His accuracy and decision making scare the hell out of me. I look at him like this, 5% chance he's Luck, 35% chance he's Bortles, 60% chance he's Locker. I'm 100% confident some team is going to convince themselves they can get the Luck result, and that will lead to him being incredibly over drafted. He's not a guy I'd take in round 1 personally.

A sleeper I like is Luke Falk, he doesn't have a strong arm, but is accurate and usually makes good decisions. He does have a tendency to check down too quickly, but he's a great flier for a team with an older starter, but doesn't want to make big investment. Chargers? Steelers? Saints? Patriots? I could see him being a discount Andy Dalton.

Overall, I think this might be the best QB class since 2004.

My favorite QB is Logan Woodside (not my #1, just my favorite.) He had some up and down moments in college but what really has me impressed is this game against a very good Miami. His line was getting beat, his WR’s dropped 4 TD passes and he still almost carried Toledo to a victory against them on the road. He was 6th in the class in adjusted completion percentage which only places him behind Mayfield and Mike White for QB’s that are on peoples radar. 

Are the Mayfield voters serious, or are they just Oklahoma fans? ?
He’s the most accurate prospect to possibly ever come out. His velocity was clocked at 60 mph (Josh Allen’s was 62 mph). We’re supposed to believe he’s not the top QB because of 1-2”? 

I like Mayfield and Rudolph the best. Assuming they don't go to Cincy or some other ridiculous O.

I like Rosen and Mayfield the best from a talent perspective that could produce highly.  Darnold is nice for floor's sake but I'm not very high on him.  I think Rosen and Mayfield get this arbitrary knock on their games because 1 of them isn't a ra-ra type of guy with a dull personality (who cares?  he can throw the rock as good as anybody), and the other guy is too good of a competitor that it spills into fire in their demeanor (sometimes good sometimes bad, never legit trouble though).  Neither of those are legitimate questions to me.  

Really hard to rank until we see what team they go to. 
I'll bet your ranking today is every bit as good as it will be in May. Mine and everyone else for that matter. 

The only difference is going to be coaching staff and those will change in a year or two for most of these guys anyway. 

I tend to think WCO QBs do much better than most. Run and defense based teams also seem to lag in QB play. Then of course terrible coaching is bad for QB's. So yeah, where they go is huge.

Mayfield just over Rosen, Darnold at third and then after that I'm not sure. Really didn't get a chance to watch much of the other guys

To the Allen and Rudolph voters, why do you feel those guys are the best?
He may not be my top dog but he is close

i see a lot of things. I see more Big Ben than a Locker. I think he is flying under radars still because of stats

anyways

1. love his wonderlic score. I think he will pick up stuff quickly. Heard he has been great on the boards in interviews. 
  2. Alot experts love him still. Those that are not caught up in his college stats only. Those that use metrics are not but I will go with the guys who see more than stats. Mel is right here. 
  3. his team sucked terribly when he missed games. Lost to SAN Jose St which was 2nd lowest rated team in NCAA.  This truly shows the talent around him and why the 56 does not bother me. It was awful. I bet they win one game this year without him. Winner comment is right. 
  4. his off- season has been nothing but improvement. If Jordan can do this in a few months what will a real QB coach do. From Senior zbowl, to combine to Pro day. The inconsistency has been less and less. 
  5. He has easily the hoghest ceiling with the arm, quicks and size. 
  6. I like his demeanor. I think he is more Brees like in this way. He wants to be the best and will put in the work. Hard working is huge to success. 
I hope he does not go to the Jets. Worst spot for him. Give me Cleveland, Denver or Giants. Bills not sure on. 

Mel is right here.
Don’t mind your arguments in favor of Allen, that being said Mel went straight ### hole with his comments. He got caught in a conundrum where he was being critical of Lamar Jackson’s accuracy and then got called out for praising Josh Allen’s accuracy... which is preposterous. Of all the things to say about Josh Allen his accuracy is atrocious at times. Ya, it looks pretty when it is successful but that is in a vacuum evaluation. So Mel decided to go on the attack of analytical based scouting and said “stats are for losers” to that I say #### Mel Kiper Jr. He should stick to analyzing what teams do because as a scout he sucks. He promised to stop broadcasting if Jimmy Clausen didn’t make it. I wish he would be a man of his word.

The poll ended up being a 3-man race just like I thought it would.  These QBs have potential but also have serious warts.  This is a tough choice for Cleveland and one that I would not want to make.  I like Mayfield most but Darnold seems safest. 

Users who are viewing this thread