What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Consensus Mock Draft Pick 1.11 - Dolphins (1 Viewer)

What's the pick?

• Derwin James

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Denzel Ward

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Vita Vea

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • Da'Ron Payne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mike Mcglichey

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Calvin Ridley

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Marcus Davenport

• DJ Moore

• Maurice Hurst

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Josh Jackson

• Harold Landry

• Derrius Guice

• Mike Hughes

• Leighton Vander Esch

• Scott Mitchell

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Sebowski

Footballguy
Raiders take Roquan Smith. Dolphins up next. Let's make the pick!

1.1 Browns take Sam Darnold (66% of the votes / 33 votes)

1.2 Giants take Josh Rosen (62.69% of the votes / 42 votes)

1.3 Jets take Josh Allen (52% of the votes / 23 votes)

1.4 Browns take Saqoun Barkley (50.7% of the votes / 36 votes to 30 for Chubb)

1.5 Broncos take Baker Mayfield (44% of the vote / 22 votes to 15 for Chubb)

1.6 Colts take Bradley Chubb (71.88%/ 23 Votes)

1.7 Bucs take Minkah Fitzpatrick (35% of the vote with 16 votes to Nelson's 13)

1.8 Bears take Quentin Nelson (77% of the vote / 20 votes)

1.9 49ers take Tremaine Edmunds (32% of the vote /  17 votes to 10 for Roquan Smith and 9 for Derwin James)

1.10: Raiders take Roquan Smith (52% of the vote / 25 votes)

Replace Suh with Vea or Payne? Vea seems rated higher.
Yeah, Vita Vea is the pick here.  About the worst the board could fall for Miami, I think they'd look to move down.  Vea fills a position of need though.  Godchaux had a good first year, but Phillips is the only other fulltime DT of note.  Miami needs to get a contributor at DT in the draft.

They also lost Jarvis Landry this year. As a Skins fan I'm starting to get nervous. I want Vea, one of the gone LBs, or James. 

They also lost Jarvis Landry this year. As a Skins fan I'm starting to get nervous. I want Vea, one of the gone LBs, or James. 
They're not going to draft a WR in the first round with Parker, Stills, Wilson, and Amendola already.  Whether or not you think that is a good group

Forgot they signed Amendola. Stills and Wilson wouldn't have stopped them from taking a WR though. Vea does seem like the right pick with Suh gone. 

It's James with who's available here. The defense stunk with Suh because the back 7 couldn't cover TEs and RBs out of the backfield. I think fixing that will be the focus rather then just plugging in a replacement for the guy they just released.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would add, beat writers are saying Miami released Suh because they want to go to more of a DT rotation. That sounds like a team that wants to add DT depth, but not value any individual DT that highly. They will be drafting a DT (they also retained Hayes who rotated in at DT), but I don't think they are considering one at 11.

Agree with @jtd13that James would be the pick, would give them a huge amount of flexibility in the back end. They haven't covered TEs well in years and last year was absolutely ridiculous.  With Raekwon coming back and the young CBs getting better a full year of TJ James could really help shore up the D. 

Frankly, I'd be thrilled if he fell to 11 and they picked him. 

Note: They also drafted DT Vincent Taylor last year for the rotation, he graded better than Godchaux according to PFF.   

I think James too.

I hate when teams let a player go just to use an early pick draft a worse version of them as a replacement to save a few bucks (OK in Suh's case it's more than a few, but you get the point).  Teams value these first round picks like the ultimate treasure and then when it's time to use them they just want to throw it away as a mechanism to work out cap space?

It's not like they spent the Suh money bringing in a bunch of great free agents.  The defense was pretty lousy last year.  Making no real changes other than a downgrade at DT isn't going to make it better.  At least take a stab at fixing one of the spots that was actually a weakness.  

I think James too.

I hate when teams let a player go just to use an early pick draft a worse version of them as a replacement to save a few bucks (OK in Suh's case it's more than a few, but you get the point).  Teams value these first round picks like the ultimate treasure and then when it's time to use them they just want to throw it away as a mechanism to work out cap space?

It's not like they spent the Suh money bringing in a bunch of great free agents.  The defense was pretty lousy last year.  Making no real changes other than a downgrade at DT isn't going to make it better.  At least take a stab at fixing one of the spots that was actually a weakness.  
Throw it away? Vea is the best player available here imo.  I'd agree with your point if he wasn't. Obviously we can disagree on whether he's BPA but it's not just "find a filler".

ETA: ok, my first post makes it sound like that's the only thought. It wasn't. 

Throw it away? Vea is the best player available here imo.  I'd agree with your point if he wasn't. Obviously we can disagree on whether he's BPA but it's not just "find a filler".

ETA: ok, my first post makes it sound like that's the only thought. It wasn't. 
I think he meant it as best case, Vea is as impactful as Suh was. So they would have effectively traded their 11th overall pick for some cap space. 

Vea is very impressive. I wouldn't call him BPA as I think Ward and James are better, but I can see the argument. I just think if this FO were the type to take a DT at 11, they would have valued Suh higher and held on to him. 

The problem I have with James is that I feel he is too similar to Jones and McDonald (both paid big money).  McDonald probably plays as more of a tweener this year.  Miami needs a free safety/centerfielder type back there.

Ward is intriguing here though, if the front office doesn't value DT that highly.

Really would be trying to trade back as the GM here though.

Agree with @jtd13that James would be the pick, would give them a huge amount of flexibility in the back end. They haven't covered TEs well in years and last year was absolutely ridiculous.  With Raekwon coming back and the young CBs getting better a full year of TJ James could really help shore up the D. 

Frankly, I'd be thrilled if he fell to 11 and they picked him. 

Note: They also drafted DT Vincent Taylor last year for the rotation, he graded better than Godchaux according to PFF.   
Good point about Taylor.

I feel like a lot of Miami's hopes are dependent on Raekwon showing up as advertised.  Too many other holes to fill in the draft.

They were really happy how Raekwon was progressing before he went down but when he was drafted he wasn't labeled as a coverage LB.  

I'm interested to see how Lippett is progressing in his return, that'll dictate how early they draft a CB.  

I would personally like to see them draft Lamar Jackson.

Derwin James is projected as more of an in-the-box safety, which is what, as Slapdash stated above, is what Jones and TJ McDonald do best. 

Not sure there is a perfect "talent meets need" option here among the players available, but if they don't take Lamar Jackson, I would go with either Denzel Ward or Vita Vea if both Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edmunds are gone.

While he's not who I'd pick, and he wasn't listed as an option, would anybody like Lamar Jackson here?
Jackson would be my choice after James and Ward. I don't think Ward is a huge need, but he is a good value at this point. I'd rather have Jackson than Allen. He seems like he needs a lot less work to get on the field. 

Derwin James is projected as more of an in-the-box safety, which is what, as Slapdash stated above, is what Jones and TJ McDonald do best. 

Interesting. He looks like a big FS to me. I've seen his range and coverage ability cited as a positive, and from what I have seen he has better in coverage than McDonald or Jones. I think they would work great together with McDonald moving up to a hybrid LB role in passing downs (which the DC has mentioned as a possibility), Jones as the in the box SS, and James calling the defense. I think the big hole in the back 7 would be slot coverage at that point, but James would help the young outside CBs more than McDonald does in the FS spot. 

Jackson would be my choice after James and Ward. I don't think Ward is a huge need, but he is a good value at this point. I'd rather have Jackson than Allen. He seems like he needs a lot less work to get on the field. 

Interesting. He looks like a big FS to me. I've seen his range and coverage ability cited as a positive, and from what I have seen he has better in coverage than McDonald or Jones. I think they would work great together with McDonald moving up to a hybrid LB role in passing downs (which the DC has mentioned as a possibility), Jones as the in the box SS, and James calling the defense. I think the big hole in the back 7 would be slot coverage at that point, but James would help the young outside CBs more than McDonald does in the FS spot. 
McCain handled the slot pretty well... graded better than the other CBs, according to PFF.   

James played everywhere, I'd love to see what Burke could do with his versatility...could really disguise coverages.  

Taking Lamar Jackson would be about the stupidest thing they could do here. A less experienced version of what they already have at QB. If they are going to go QB in round one now that it seems obvious a Baker Mayfield isn't going to fall then shoot your load and find a way to move up and take a guy that seems like he has potential to be a long term answer not another stop gap or project.  

Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edmunds, I'm really hoping one of those fall as I think LB has been so long a weak spot that getting one and hopefully Raekwon coming back strong could really turn the defense around.  Of the options in this thread, Vea is probably the best value at a spot of somewhat need.

Taking Lamar Jackson would be about the stupidest thing they could do here. A less experienced version of what they already have at QB. If they are going to go QB in round one now that it seems obvious a Baker Mayfield isn't going to fall then shoot your load and find a way to move up and take a guy that seems like he has potential to be a long term answer not another stop gap or project.  

Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edmunds, I'm really hoping one of those fall as I think LB has been so long a weak spot that getting one and hopefully Raekwon coming back strong could really turn the defense around.  Of the options in this thread, Vea is probably the best value at a spot of somewhat need.
Agree with all of this;  To the bold, I expect one of them to be there in the actual draft.  This draft is worst case scenario (but still very plausible)

If the Dolphins trade up from 11 to 6 or 7, or God forbid, the 2nd pick, to take one of the top 4 QB's, I will not be happy. They would probably have to give up next year's first to move up from 11 to 6, and definitely more than that to move up to 2.  For a team that is perpetually mediocre and has plenty of needs, they can't afford to give up next year's 1st.

Users who are viewing this thread