What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tell me about living in Los Angeles (1 Viewer)

bosoxs45

Footballguy
How is getting around LA without a car? How is health insurance in LA? What’s the housing market like for someone looking for an apartment?

I was offered a job in LA to work for a museum as a curator and am looking for some advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I've learned anything from Wang Chung (and who hasn't), you either Live or Die there.  So, good luck.

How is getting around LA without a car? Difficult since LA is huge. How is health insurance in LA? Expensive with high deductibles. What’s the housing market like for someone looking for an apartment? Plenty of apartments, depends on your budget & sqft expectation.

I was offered a job in LA to work for a museum and am looking for some advice. Where's the museum?

The job is though the natural history museum of Los Angeles. Pretty cool gig to work in their Anthropology department but the cost of living is making me iffy.

The job is though the natural history museum of Los Angeles. Pretty cool gig but the cost of living is making me iffy.
Nice, I was there earlier this year for Dapper Day :bag: .
If the employer doesn't offer health insurance, grab some quotes from https://www.coveredca.com/
There are some very nice and safe areas where apartments can be had for $1.75 per sqft.
Lyft/Uber is easy all over the city. If you live on the westside, you can use the light rail to get to the museum for cheap.

if the museum's downtown LA, you could get a room in a boarding house in Bunker Hill for twenty bucks a month a maybe meet a nice girl whose an extra in the talkies.........no, wait, that's last century.

only way to move to a big city if you're not rich is to know someone in that big city who you can bunk with and can get you hooked up. if you know someone @ the museum, try that, elseways......

Maybe traffic is relative, cuz I take the 405 and the 10 all the time. Just use your phone to navigate accordingly.
405, 5, 101, 170 for me. Vegas, San Francisco, San Diego... all have similar traffic issues. DC is worse. I get around LA fine. I'm used to it, but it seems better than San Diego, where I'm usually in North County around the 5 and 78.

405, 5, 101, 170 for me. Vegas, San Francisco, San Diego... all have similar traffic issues. DC is worse. I get around LA fine. I'm used to it, but it seems better than San Diego, where I'm usually in North County around the 5 and 78.
It is relative of course.  I use Waze to navigate and skirt traffic but it doesn't change the fact that you will never take the simple route because of traffic.  I live an hour north of Santa Barbara and there is virtually no traffic.  I travel to Staples Center for Kings games all the time and without Waze infinitely more time would be wasted.  However, traffic still sucks and I would not want to live in the middle of it.  Every time I go there I am so happy I don't have to deal with that everyday.

Haven't read whole thread yet, but I'm assuming that someone's already chimed about Wang Chung's opinion on this town. 

It is relative of course.  I use Waze to navigate and skirt traffic but it doesn't change the fact that you will never take the simple route because of traffic.  I live an hour north of Santa Barbara and there is virtually no traffic.  I travel to Staples Center for Kings games all the time and without Waze infinitely more time would be wasted.  However, traffic still sucks and I would not want to live in the middle of it.  Every time I go there I am so happy I don't have to deal with that everyday.
If that's coastal, I'm jealous. Of course, it's relative but locals get used to it. My last trip to Staples (just a couple days ago) the navigator took me to Pasadena on the 210 and dropped me into downtown on surface streets so fast I was easily 30 minutes ahead of the normal route (101). You come in from the same direction. Do you get routed that way? 

Traffic in Los Angeles is awful, but the metro train system is improving and by the 2028 Olympics it should be able to get you all around the sprawling city. The expo line goes right to the museum, so you could definitely take the train to work. Apartment costs are also high, though not as bad as NY or SF. The expo line runs from downtown to Culver City to Santa Monica, making all of those possible locations to live, and in all those areas you can live without a car. There will be places you want to go where transit won't be convenient, at least not until 2028, but you can uber or lyft. Downtown is where I live, and I drive about once a week. I could go without a car. Downtown and Santa Monica would be more expensive, and Culver City a little more reasonable. But reasonable is still over $2k/mo for a one-bedroom apartment. There are wildly different parts of Los Angeles where rent is closer to $1k/mo, and some of them are within walking distance of a couple miles from your museum. Whether you could survive that walk is another matter.

How is getting around LA without a car? How is health insurance in LA? What’s the housing market like for someone looking for an apartment?

I was offered a job in LA to work for a museum as a curator and am looking for some advice.
What is your family situation like?  If you have a young family, I wouldn't consider it for less than $150k.

No expert but I'm here for work right now and the weather is awesome, the women are smokin hot.  Staying in downtown LA and this area in the past few years has gotten pretty nice.

Next time i get stuck in bad traffic in vegas will be the first.

Yeah, you probably want to give it a shot. Gut reaction is downtown would be a good spot to live. You might also consider: Echo Park, Silver Lake, Koreatown, and then in increasing distance: Mid-City, Mid-Wilshire, Miracle Mile, La Brea, Fairfax, Melrose. Century City and Palms, maybe. The commute, though. Personally I'm not a fan of most places south of the 10 freeway, but YMMV. You'll want to roam the area a bit and get a feel for what neighborhood fits you. You can live anywhere from skyscraper high-rise to suburbs to ethnic neighborhood of your choice in your range.
I really enjoyed my college experience at UMass because of the diversity it had to offer.  I think LA offers a similar experience. 

seriously, dood - i've gotten to know you a li'lbit since you started your thread there and, if you already had a connection in LA to help hook you up, i'd be 100% for it cuz you need sumn like that to help you break out. but big cities, big scenes, man, are cold & crushing without a guide

Outside of Boston with a 30 minute commute to work each day.
I'd make this move for the experience alone. You'd have a sweet gig it sounds like and are single, the woman situation is going to be about 100 times better than Boston. If LA sucks for you you find another job after a couple years.

LA gets a bad rap I think. I visit for work quite a bit which is different than living there for sure but there are a lot of great neighborhoods that I get taken around to.

I'll leave it to the locals to explain the car situation but there are increasingly more car share stuff that I think could work and you could always get a car later. For instance, I'm staying downtown there are tons of bars, restaurants, breweries all within $10 uber ride. Went to a Dodger game, drank some good beers at a taproom, and got back to hotel for around $25. If I had a car that would have cost double with parking/gas and I couldn't have drank beers all over the place.

Good luck, nice to have options.

If that's coastal, I'm jealous. Of course, it's relative but locals get used to it. My last trip to Staples (just a couple days ago) the navigator took me to Pasadena on the 210 and dropped me into downtown on surface streets so fast I was easily 30 minutes ahead of the normal route (101). You come in from the same direction. Do you get routed that way? 
Yep.  Right on the coast.  Ocean is maybe 10 miles as the crow flies. 

Yes, many times the app will have us take the 126 in Ventura out through Filmore to the 5 to the 210 and then go in that way.  Sometimes surface streets.  Sometimes the 2.  Sometimes just the 5 around Stadium Way and by Dodgers stadium.  Other times the 23 out of Thousand Oaks to the 118 over and around.  I have seen many areas I never thought I would see.  It's always an adventure......but always due to terrible traffic.

What are the cool places to check out in LA? I really enjoy live music, hiking, board games and hockey.
Last summer at Pershing Square in DTLA, I went to free concerts by The Wallflowers, X, Toad the Wet Sprocket, The Meat Puppets and the B-52s. In the Arts District of DTLA, Angel City Brewery and Pour Haus Wine Bar have board games. You can pretty much walk to anything you would want to do within two miles living downtown, and can take the red line subway train into Hollywood, and the expo line to your work. DTLA would probably be the best spot for you as a single guy, but it is pricey. There's a lot of hiking spots around Los Angeles, like Griffith Park and Runyan Canyon. I know there's some hockey played at Staples Center.

not having a car will suck, but there's always bus, train, uber, bike, etc. if you find a place near your work that has a reasonable scene (bars, restaurants, people, things to do), you can probably get by without a car for a while. but eventually you'll get sick of it because everything is so spread out, and you'll want to go to places like Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, Oceanside, or Castaic Lake, and you'll want a car.

plus, Vegas is only 4 hours away. giggity!

Lompoc?

Yep.  Not many people know the name....hahaha.  Gets a bad rap from some but I really like the area. 
Don't know much about the town itself but seems like a great location.  And you get to watch all kinds of missiles and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread