What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Consensus Mock Draft Pick 1.12 - Bills (1 Viewer)

Throw someone in the wagon

• Derwin James

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Denzel Ward

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Da'Ron Payne

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Lamar Jackson

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Mike Mcglichey

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Marcus Davenport

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Calvin Ridley

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • DJ Moore

• Harlod Landry

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Josh Jackson

• Mike Hughes

• Derrius Guice

• Maurice Hurst

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Leighton Vander Esch

• Steve Tasker

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

Sebowski

Footballguy
Vita Vea to the Dolphins. Bills up next. Let's circle the wagons. 

1.1 Browns take Sam Darnold (66% of the votes / 33 votes)

1.2 Giants take Josh Rosen (62.69% of the votes / 42 votes)

1.3 Jets take Josh Allen (52% of the votes / 23 votes)

1.4 Browns take Saqoun Barkley (50.7% of the votes / 36 votes to 30 for Chubb)

1.5 Broncos take Baker Mayfield (44% of the vote / 22 votes to 15 for Chubb)

1.6 Colts take Bradley Chubb (71.88%/ 23 Votes)

1.7 Bucs take Minkah Fitzpatrick (35% of the vote with 16 votes to Nelson's 13)

1.8 Bears take Quentin Nelson (77% of the vote / 20 votes)

1.9 49ers take Tremaine Edmunds (32% of the vote /  17 votes to 10 for Roquan Smith and 9 for Derwin James)

1.10: Raiders take Roquan Smith (52% of the vote / 25 votes)

1.11 Dolphins take Vita Via (40% of the vote / 17 votes)

I think Derwin is the best player on the board. So I’m just voting for him. The Bills can adjust Micah and the DBs accordingly. 

Bills are interesting, they seem most likely to take a QB, but I can't see any way they take Jackson, and I can't imagine Rudolph his high.

I'll continue pounding the table for Hurst. Kyle Williams won't be around forever, and Star isn't a pass rusher, or good player, so Hurst brings something they don't have. 

Derwin James is probably the BPA(and arguably has been for some time) But Buffalo is among the NFL's most set at safety.

I can see McGlinchey here, frankly a case can be made the Bills should take 3-5 o-lineman in the draft, as they are as thin as any team in the NFL there right now.

Bills are interesting, they seem most likely to take a QB, but I can't see any way they take Jackson, and I can't imagine Rudolph his high.

I'll continue pounding the table for Hurst. Kyle Williams won't be around forever, and Star isn't a pass rusher, or good player, so Hurst brings something they don't have. 

Derwin James is probably the BPA(and arguably has been for some time) But Buffalo is among the NFL's most set at safety.

I can see McGlinchey here, frankly a case can be made the Bills should take 3-5 o-lineman in the draft, as they are as thin as any team in the NFL there right now.
Great post. 

I voted Derwin but I like your Hurst pick. Nice rotation of Star, Kyle, Hurst.

I’d say they add OL with the next pick. 

Great post. 

I voted Derwin but I like your Hurst pick. Nice rotation of Star, Kyle, Hurst.

I’d say they add OL with the next pick. 
Very possible they go o-line at 22. Its kind of amazing this was a playoff team last year. They could use an upgrade everywhere but RB, DE, and S in my opinion.

Can the people voting Lamar Jackson explain their logic? I find it very hard to believe the Bills would get rid of Tyrod Taylor, to draft a similar player, who also comes with a learning curve. I like Jackson, and I think Taylor is maybe the most underrated QB in the NFL, but they've clearly through both words and actions, shown that isn't the style of player they want. 

I voted for Ward. They have Tre White and just lost EJ Gaines who did very well when healthy. Vontae Davis is on a short term contract coming off an injury and hasn't been as good recently. Absent a QB or stud WR, they need to address other areas at impact positions. Top LBs being off the board hurts. They could also go Hurst here. 

Their OL is in shambles though. I've been saying no to Center in the 1st as they had Ryan Groy. Even when they had OG problems last year they would never give Groy a shot over there. Now that Wood retired it seems wise to slide Groy in, but they gave Russell Bodine the same exact contract they matched for Groy, which scares the #### out of me as Bodine is a-w-f-u-l. The only known quality piece on that OL is Dawkins at LT. So OL should certainly be in consideration here.

Honestly I have no idea what happens with the Bills. They clearly want to trade up to get a QB as they have draft capital but I'm not sure it will happen.

Voted Da'Ron Payne.

Think they skip safety as they have Micah Hyde, Poyer played OK last year. Granted it is still a need, as well as a CB opposite of Tre'davious White, but they were 31st in the league against the run last year. I know they signed Star Lotulelei but the defensive line needs to get younger.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they stay at 12 a d the draft plays out this way, I would really really hope they take Lamar Jackson. I don't think they would though.

So I went with Derwin James. But not to play safety because they're loaded there. I could see Sean McDermott salivating at the thought of putting James in the middle of his defense and moving him all over the field. With most teams moving to the nickel as their actual base defense and even using a lot of dime, James has the ability to play up closer to the line, move into slot, drop back and float the middle.

How do you stop slot receivers over the middle, a TE like Gronk, mobile QBs, etc? James sitting in the middle of your defense could enable you to do all of that.

With a draft like this, the Bills take James here and then think about grabbing a QB at 22 or possibly even trading up slightly to get Jackson (they won't :( )

Very possible they go o-line at 22. Its kind of amazing this was a playoff team last year. They could use an upgrade everywhere but RB, DE, and S in my opinion.

Can the people voting Lamar Jackson explain their logic? I find it very hard to believe the Bills would get rid of Tyrod Taylor, to draft a similar player, who also comes with a learning curve. I like Jackson, and I think Taylor is maybe the most underrated QB in the NFL, but they've clearly through both words and actions, shown that isn't the style of player they want. 
I agree with you that the team seems to want a QB like Peterman except good and that Jackson might not be the type of QB they would prefer to have leading their team.

But Jackson is a talented QB and the Bills need one. If the coaching staff can be flexible and have a plan for developing Jackson I think he is the best pick for the future of the Bills. Thats why I voted for him. I really like Jackson and think he is going to be a star.

I am not very familiar with Brian but going through his coaching history, he hasn't had the opportunity to work with a good QB really besides Brady. He has worked with Brady Quinn with Cleveland and Kansas City. He has worked with Matt Moore, Chad Henne, Matt Cassell. He did have Seneca Wallace playing ok for a handful of games with the Browns.

So I decided to try to learn a bit about this coach and I found this article that does a pretty good job of explaining his background and what this may mean for the near future of the Bills.

Breaking down what Bills can expect from new OC Brian Daboll

After spending several years with Tom Brady at quarterback, Daboll was named coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Alabama where he worked with Jalen Hurts, a dual-threat quarterback. Daboll used Hurts in shotgun or in the pistol in order to take advantage of his athletic ability and his skills as a runner. He gained 855 yards on the ground and scored eight touchdowns.

Daboll proved that he wasn’t stubborn when it came to running an offense and adjusted to Alabama’s personnel accordingly.

“It’d be foolish to just take one offense that you’re accustomed to running and try to adapt it to another team,” Daboll said. “Some of the plays suit, some of the plays don’t suit. So, your job is to go ahead and mix and match and really find the best results for the guys that you’re working with for that particular year.”

Daboll has made it clear that he will cater his offense to the strengths of his players so it will be interesting to see just how he utilizes not only McCoy, but whichever quarterback is under center for the Bills next season as well.
He runs the Erhardt-Perkins offense, would this be a bad fit for Jackson? 

Lamar Jackson fits the Patriots offense better than it seems

If you listen to the clip closely, you’ll hear that Jackson says that Petrino ran an Erhardt system at Louisville, which happens to be the same offensive system that Tom Brady and the Patriots run every Sunday.

Jackson is decent under center while Tyrod simply can't do it. Jackson is very comfortable in the pocket while Tyrod struggles tremendously when forced to stay in the pocket. Tyrod struggles tremendously on throws over the middle while hitting the out routes pretty well. Jackson is the exact opposite. Tyrod has essentially been a one read QB, Jackson has shown a pretty good ability to go through a full progression.

The biggest overall issues I have with Tyrod are that he is way overly conservative and only throws once guys are already open, and the game just never seemed to slow down for him.

We obviously haven't seen Jackson try to process things at NFL speed, but he has shown the ability to be calm and under control in college and he is willing to throw with anticipation to throw guys open.

Jackson is decent under center while Tyrod simply can't do it. Jackson is very comfortable in the pocket while Tyrod struggles tremendously when forced to stay in the pocket. Tyrod struggles tremendously on throws over the middle while hitting the out routes pretty well. Jackson is the exact opposite. Tyrod has essentially been a one read QB, Jackson has shown a pretty good ability to go through a full progression.

The biggest overall issues I have with Tyrod are that he is way overly conservative and only throws once guys are already open, and the game just never seemed to slow down for him.

We obviously haven't seen Jackson try to process things at NFL speed, but he has shown the ability to be calm and under control in college and he is willing to throw with anticipation to throw guys open.
Jackson definitely has some better pocket awareness and progresses through his reads, however I have to think taking Jackson at 12 is too high for someone of his size. The smallest starting QB in the league right now outside of Drew Brees is Case Keenum at 6'1" and 210 lbs. Jackson is 6'3" but his weight of 205 lbs has to be a concern - historically someone of his frame has not held up well, especially considering his running ability. I still consider him a late 1st round early 2nd type of guy.

Jackson definitely has some better pocket awareness and progresses through his reads, however I have to think taking Jackson at 12 is too high for someone of his size. The smallest starting QB in the league right now outside of Drew Brees is Case Keenum at 6'1" and 210 lbs. Jackson is 6'3" but his weight of 205 lbs has to be a concern - historically someone of his frame has not held up well, especially considering his running ability. I still consider him a late 1st round early 2nd type of guy.
Russell Wilson is only 5' 11"

They should take Jackson but given how much they dislike Tyrod, they seem to not want to adjust their offense for a mobile QB. Being Buffalo, they will likely make the wrong decison so I chose Calvin Ridley. They need a WR, but Ridley is in no way worth this high of a pick. 

He measured 6'2" and 216 at the combine. Reports from his Pro Day are that he looked even bigger. 

They should take Jackson but given how much they dislike Tyrod, they seem to not want to adjust their offense for a mobile QB. Being Buffalo, they will likely make the wrong decison so I chose Calvin Ridley. They need a WR, but Ridley is in no way worth this high of a pick. 
I agree with you that they should take him and that they likely won't.

But the counter to that is that Jackson is a much better pocket passer than Tyrod (or at least has shown signs of that) and that Rick Dennison is out as OC and Brian Dabol is in. Dabol has run the same system that Jackson ran at Louisville. Dabol did a pretty great job utilizing his QB's talent rather than trying to force his system. Dennison made almost zero concessions on "his" system.

Gotta remember that Beane comes from Carolina where he was part of selecting Cam Newton.

The reason I don't think they'll take Jackson does actually have more to do with his size. The Bills seem to want a big "prototypical" QB with a rocket arm. That is where Newton and Jackson diverge. Jackson is a lot smaller and doesn't have quite the arm Cam has. I think the questions about Jackson's size are overblown and think his arm is plenty strong, but I'm not sure the Bills agree.

I agree with you that they should take him and that they likely won't.

But the counter to that is that Jackson is a much better pocket passer than Tyrod (or at least has shown signs of that) and that Rick Dennison is out as OC and Brian Dabol is in. Dabol has run the same system that Jackson ran at Louisville. Dabol did a pretty great job utilizing his QB's talent rather than trying to force his system. Dennison made almost zero concessions on "his" system.

Gotta remember that Beane comes from Carolina where he was part of selecting Cam Newton.

The reason I don't think they'll take Jackson does actually have more to do with his size. The Bills seem to want a big "prototypical" QB with a rocket arm. That is where Newton and Jackson diverge. Jackson is a lot smaller and doesn't have quite the arm Cam has. I think the questions about Jackson's size are overblown and think his arm is plenty strong, but I'm not sure the Bills agree.
That is some really good insight

Russell Wilson is only 5' 11"
Wilson's build is very compact. His weight is, I believe, 205 or slightly heavier which is about the same as Jackson's yet he is 4 inches shorter.

I do worry about Jackson's frame, his legs in particular as well. Seems very spindly.

Users who are viewing this thread