What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Instant Pot cooker (1 Viewer)

Wife uses it all the time. Slow Cook, pressure cook, rice, and more. Cooks everything pretty perfect.

Bought my wife one of these for Christmas and she hasn’t touched it. I think she’s a little intimidated. 

Bought my wife one of these for Christmas and she hasn’t touched it. I think she’s a little intimidated. 
This was my problem when I first got one. I only used the slow cooker feature, but then got comfortable with some of the others.

There are a bunch of web sites that explain how to use it out there and that are better than the manual (which confused the hell out of me). Also, Lifehacker has an entire series on things to do with an Insta Pot.

Uruk-Hai said:
This was my problem when I first got one. I only used the slow cooker feature, but then got comfortable with some of the others.

There are a bunch of web sites that explain how to use it out there and that are better than the manual (which confused the hell out of me). Also, Lifehacker has an entire series on things to do with an Insta Pot.
This cookbook is essential for anyone with an Instant Pot. 

Slow cooker function on mine worked for 6 months maybe, but now it's for ####.  10 hour cook on a chuck roast?  Still undercooked.

My wife really wants one and talks about all the crap she'd cook with it. But I know I'd be the one prepping meals, cleaning and looking for space to store the damn thing.

We made the Italian Beef and it turned out perfect.  Also have made ribs, spaghetti squash, wings and yogurt.  I put the ribs and wings under the broiler for a few minutes when they were done. 

Uruk-Hai said:

I bought her two Instant Pot cookbooks and sent her a bunch of links. But not the Lifehacker series. Will give that a try.  Thanks. 

Big fan of mine. I mainly use it to make bone broth but it also works miracles on tough cuts of meat. 

Michelle Tam has some great recipes. Her book Nom Nom Paleo is perhaps my most used cookbook. Her pressure cooker Thai beef curry recipe is one we go back to again and again.

There's an Instant Pot Community on Facebook with over 1.3 million members. Tons of great recipes including some for the above mentioned cheesecake.

Yes, but this doesn't seem like a problem with the Instant Pot.
My wife is a pretty serious cook. Loves to mess around in the kitchen. :pickle: Bakes, cans things, loves experimenting. :pickle:   She didn't take to it.   :shrug:   I'm sure the pot works just fine, as you insinuated, she just doesn't like/use it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is a 6qt, and sometimes have to do things in batches. so thinking about upgrading to the 8qt.

ETA: Just saw the newest 8qt model (Ultra) has a temp setting function you can use to sous vide, which clinches it for me. 

Jules Winnfield said:
I love making a nice lentil and mushroom soup or lentil and lamb stew, but man, lentils give me horrid stinky gas
Weird, can't say I have that problem. We eat a ton of lentils and legumes though so maybe our digestive systems have adjusted? 

Have you tried a probiotic?

The Noid said:
Mine is a 6qt, and sometimes have to do things in batches. so thinking about upgrading to the 8qt.

ETA: Just saw the newest 8qt model (Ultra) has a temp setting function you can use to sous vide, which clinches it for me. 
Damn, I'm in. How much for this thing? 

I'm in the same boat as you as I have a 6qt. 

The Noid said:

I don't think it really acts as a circulating water bath. It certainly gives you more control but I don't think it offers the precision of an immersion circulator.

I don't think it really acts as a circulating water bath. It certainly gives you more control but I don't think it offers the precision of an immersion circulator.
The reviews/tests I've seen say it's accurate within 5 degrees and produces good results. But, Instant Pot does also make a cirulator attachment (that you could use on any of the sizes/models, if you want to get exact precision for sous vide. 

The reviews/tests I've seen say it's accurate within 5 degrees and produces good results. But, Instant Pot does also make a cirulator attachment (that you could use on any of the sizes/models, if you want to get exact precision for sous vide. 
+/- Five degrees is significant when it comes to precision cooking. It's the difference between medium rare and medium steaks or juicy vs dry chicken breast or perfect salmon and albumin covered salmon.

Just got one and used it for the first time last night and dinner turned out fantastic.  4 uncooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, 2 cups of rice, 3 cups (I think) of chicken broth, package of taco season and a bunch of squirts of Cholula hot sauce.  12 minutes of pressure cooking both the chicken and rice were done to perfection.  Shredded the chicken and mixed back into the rice and added peppers, salsa and cheese for fantastic burrito bowls.  So far a huge fan of these gadgets.

+/- Five degrees is significant when it comes to precision cooking. It's the difference between medium rare and medium steaks or juicy vs dry chicken breast or perfect salmon and albumin covered salmon.
also - brine the salmon for 10 minutes or so prior to cooking will help minimize the albumin (white stuff that comes to the surface of salmon). 

weekly go to....i always use thighs...

INGREDIENTS:

2 lbs. chicken thighs or chicken breasts

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

16 ounces salsa verde

Salt and black pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS:

Place the chicken in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Add the cumin, garlic powder, and salsa verde.

Set cooker to high pressure for 25 minutes or on the Instant Pot press the poultry button.

When the chicken is done cooking, quick release the pressure and shred the chicken in the pot with two forks. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Serve with tortillas, rice, use in burritos, quesadillas, tacos, salads, etc.

Seriously you all need to get one of these.  This will relegate your crockpot to a fancy warming device.  Tonight made 3 lb beef chuck roast, package of Italian seasoning and 2 cups of broth.  A little over an hour had the most tender hot beef sandwiches I’ve ever had. I could’ve shreded the roast with s plastic spoon. So easy and damn good.  These things are legit.

weekly go to....i always use thighs...

INGREDIENTS:

2 lbs. chicken thighs or chicken breasts

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

16 ounces salsa verde

Salt and black pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS:

Place the chicken in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Add the cumin, garlic powder, and salsa verde.

Set cooker to high pressure for 25 minutes or on the Instant Pot press the poultry button.

When the chicken is done cooking, quick release the pressure and shred the chicken in the pot with two forks. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Serve with tortillas, rice, use in burritos, quesadillas, tacos, salads, etc.
Saw this and made it for dinner last night.  Couldn't be easier and It turned out great.  Next time I'll add some more spice to it for some extra kick, but that's just personal preference.  Thanks for posting!

I've still got the 8qt Ultra on my Father's Day wish list (to upgrade from my 2yo 6qt Duo), but just heard about the Max that comes out in June. It's only going to be 6qt so I'll have to pass. Main reason I'm upgrading is for the size. Cooking for 5 people has often meant doing two batches of everything so the 8qt capacity outweighs what the Max offers. 

got the wife one of these for Mothers Day and she hasn't touched it, so I'm going to just do it myself.  ordered the cookbook above and should be delivered tomorrow.  thinking of trying the Italian beef or a beef stew

got the wife one of these for Mothers Day and she hasn't touched it, so I'm going to just do it myself.  ordered the cookbook above and should be delivered tomorrow.  thinking of trying the Italian beef or a beef stew
Thai beef curry.

One of my "go-to" recipes.

Michelle Tam is a great resource for Instant Pot recipes. 

Users who are viewing this thread