What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR James Washington, NO Saints (1 Viewer)

squistion

Footballguy
6 ft 0 in, 205 lb - 2017 Biletnikoff Winner - I am quite impressed with this kid.

2017 Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq8xCERubko

2015 Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENJLJ0rbeDs

Matt Harmon Reception Perception Evaluation:

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.c...ton-offers-a-pair-of-highly-desirable-skills/

More Harmon on JW:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...o-comparisons-for-top-wide-receiver-prospects

James Washington, Oklahoma State

NFL comp: Marvin Jones.
One of the most productive receivers in college football, the 2017 Biletnikoff Award winner comes to the NFL after racking up over 4,400 yards and 39 touchdowns through four years at Oklahoma State. Washington has all the skills necessary to produce at the next level, especially in some crucial phases. What Washington brings to the table is both rare and valuable: He wins down the field and on contested catches. His college game film is littered with occasions where he adjusts to a deep throw and positions himself to win the ball in the air. No receiver in this draft class can match his ball-tracking ability in the vertical game. While Washington may never check all the boxes of a traditional No. 1 receiver, he can be the lead dog outside for an NFL team based on those two traits alone. We've seen Marvin Jones prove to be that kind of player for the Detroit Lions over the last two seasons.

Last edited:
I love Washington still believe he’s top 3 WR in this class. Will likely fall to me at 1.10.

Tex

Last edited by a moderator:
An anonymous scout speaking with Bob McGinn Football said he sees some of former Dolphins WR Chris Chambers in Oklahoma State WRs James Washington.

"He’s got a chance," said the scout. "I think I see Chris Chambers a little bit. I know he didn’t run as fast but he’s got good length (32 3/8-inch arms). He can track it. Plays faster than he ran. Good timing, leaping (vertical of 39). He’s not dynamic after the catch." Washington posted a ludicrous 226-4,472-39 line in college. "He’s a running back playing receiver," said a second scout. "He’s a little tight. Can’t run routes." A third scout was even more pessimistic. "In college, he used his body against a lot of people to get separation," het said. "He’s not going to do that. They’re going to cover him up … blanket him in the NFL. It won’t translate. He can be a No. 4, or maybe a No. 3 on a bad team." Washington (5'11/213) is projected to go off the board on Day 2.

Source: Bob McGinn Football 

Apr 24 - 4:49 PM

James Washington had a 133.8 passer rating generated on contested catches.

Washington's testing has seen his draft stock fall this year, but that stat shows that there are very few -- if any -- better than Washington when it comes to hauling in the one-on-one balls. Every once in a while there is a player that just makes plays despite not having the same kind of speed, strength, etc. as some of the other prospects. It's entirely possible that Washington is one of those players.

Source: Pro Football Focus 

Apr 25 - 2:53 PM

Steelers selected Oklahoma State WR James Washington with the No. 60 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft.

Washington (5’11/213) earned the 2017 Biletnikoff Award as college football’s top wideout, leading the nation in receiving yards (1,549) and graduating with the second-most career receiving yards (4,472) in Big 12 history. In 2017, PFF College credited Washington with the third-most yards per route run (3.48) among 2018 draft-eligible receivers and a nation-high 815 yards on passes thrown 20-plus yards downfield. A stocky deep threat who whizzed by Big 12 defensive backs, Washington’s forty (4.54) and three-cone (7.11) times disappointed at the Combine, raising concerns about his NFL transition. The Steelers dealt Martavis Bryant on Thursday night and drafted his potential replacement in round two.

Apr 27 - 9:01 PM

Excellent. One of my favorite WRs in the class. Like it a lot for my NFL team, not as great for Fantasy. He could probably put up similar numbers to Bryant when he was doing well. Essentially a WR3 with WR1 games. He'll catch the deep bomb a couple times a year for a TD but probably average 50 yards per game. 

Pittsburgh Steelers OTAs May 22-24: what we learned

Excerpt:

James Washington has high expectations attached to his rookie season after being picked in the second round of the NFL Draft, the same round that produced rookie sensation JuJu Smith-Schuster last season. And so far at camp, he didn't disappoint. He looked comfortable hauling in deep balls from Ben Roethlisberger. He made crisp cuts on routes and showed a veteran's understanding of the position. Expecting Washington to produce as much as Smith-Schuster did last year would be unrealistic. Most rookies are not that good. But he will be a contributor right away. His performance at OTAs confirmed that.

AB, JuJu, JW.  Maybe I’m too optimistic based on JW’s college performances but this is the best 3 WR group in the NFL IMHO.

Is any top rookie getting less hype than Washington right now? I've grabbed this guy at 17 and 20 (SF) in recent drafts and he seems like he's often the last guy before a big drop off at WR in the draft. 

Recent positive buzz from Dobbs, Tomlin, and the WR coach
His ADP will change soon. He’s very underrated! 2014 spoiled a lot of people so he doesn’t look as appealing to some. I tend to target BA winners they have a high success rate in the NFL.

Tex

OU#1 said:
AB, JuJu, JW.  Maybe I’m too optimistic based on JW’s college performances but this is the best 3 WR group in the NFL IMHO.
Even supposing it is (not unreasonable), fantasy relevant WR3’s are few and far between in all of NFL history.  Unless you are in a very deep league.

Even supposing it is (not unreasonable), fantasy relevant WR3’s are few and far between in all of NFL history.  Unless you are in a very deep league.
Yeah I don’t think he will be very Fantasy relevant but good luck to the NFL stopping these 3 WRs+Bell assuming Ben holds up his year.

With no major TE and likely no Bell taking 100+ targets next season in a high volume offense, I'd say he's one of the few that could produce as an NFL WR3. Plus, I remember feeling the same way about Juju last year. Roles and opportunity are not as easy to predict as we often think in fantasy circles, so I'm happy to grab a talented player who's discounted based on situation. 

With no major TE and likely no Bell taking 100+ targets next season in a high volume offense, I'd say he's one of the few that could produce as an NFL WR3. Plus, I remember feeling the same way about Juju last year. Roles and opportunity are not as easy to predict as we often think in fantasy circles, so I'm happy to grab a talented player who's discounted based on situation. 
Fair point.  Although Juju “produced as a WR3” by replacing an ineffective WR2.  Barring injury, that means Juju collapses this year, which seems unlikely.

By far the most likely route to value of any WR3 is an injury to a starter.  If you are drafting Washington, you pretty much expect this is the only likely path to value, until Antonio retires,

He’ll play the outside with JuJu in the slot. People will act surprised when he sees Bryant’s share because they see this as an overly crowded situation. When I have my projections done for Pitt, I’ll revisit here to post my thoughts. 

Fair point.  Although Juju “produced as a WR3” by replacing an ineffective WR2.  Barring injury, that means Juju collapses this year, which seems unlikely.

By far the most likely route to value of any WR3 is an injury to a starter.  If you are drafting Washington, you pretty much expect this is the only likely path to value, until Antonio retires,
Yeah Juju was the WR2, I just meant I passed on Juju despite liking him as a player based on concerns about his role. I'm trying to avoid doing the same with Washington, but maybe I'm overcorrecting. 

But like @Bojang0301 said, he's going to be on the field a lot. They will at least give the opportunity for splash plays. An injury to any of Brown, Juju, or Bell could be all he needs to get starter targets for a stretch this season. If you give me any 3 skill position starters on a team, I'll take the bet that one of them misses a few games in a given season. So there's one path to value in the short term.

JuJu's stats: 79 targets, 58 receptions, 917 yards, 7 TDs
Bryant's stats: 84 targets, 50 receptions, 603 yards, 3 TDs

Bryant had more targets than JuJu, just didn't do as much with them. He had the lowest YPR in his career last year, by a significant amount. 

If Washington gets those same targets, he stands to be very significant as a fantasy player. One could argue that Washington is bound to do more with those receptions than Bryant did (Washington's college career YPR was 19.8). We could be looking at almost identical stats to JuJu minus the TDs, which are hard to predict and could easily change. 

So no, I don't expect an injury to bring him into having good value. He can have just as much value as JuJu if not more due to his bigger home run threat. 

Just bought JW, and I am stoked about it. Guy is seriously undervalued but has the chance to be the WR1 out of this class, and not just for 2018

He’s really undervalued imo. Funny how these WRs have flowed through the offseason. 

1. It’s a weak class

2. Ridley talk

3. Moore talk

4. Kirk talk

5. Gallup talk

6. Sutton talk

7. Miller talk

8. Downgrade several rbs

9. Maybe someone notices Washington now

He’s really undervalued imo. Funny how these WRs have flowed through the offseason. 

1. It’s a weak class

2. Ridley talk

3. Moore talk

4. Kirk talk

5. Gallup talk

6. Sutton talk

7. Miller talk

8. Downgrade several rbs

Washington was considered by at least one source I read to be the top wr prospect in this class prior to the draft. He went to a team with one of the best WRs ever and what looks to be a budding star so far, so I think a lot of people soured on him as they did Sutton for going to a "crowded" wr corps. Meanwhile, DJ Moore is the first WR drafted because hes got the best path to starting in 2018. 

It's crazy to think that Washington can go from possibly the top WR in the class to the 6th WR taken in rookie drafts. I'm pumped I own stock in the guy in all of my dynasty leagues. 

It's amazing how fickle the ff community is. a year ago Bryant was thought to be one of the bigger sleepers in the league, many people drafting him expecting big things. Even with all of the mess he dealt with and JuJu having a good season, he still had 84 targets. Now, with Washington in that position suddenly it's a crowded wr group and people dont want to touch it. 

This is definitely a year where late 1st and early 2nd round picks are going to pay off big time. hes going to have at least flex value in 2018. 

1. It’s a weak class

2. Ridley talk

3. Moore talk

4. Kirk talk

5. Gallup talk

6. Sutton talk

7. Miller talk

8. Downgrade several rbs

He's got AB in his way at a minimum, and then he's got a QB change coming soon.  Despite the fact that his next QB might be the guy he grew with in college (might), he's still gotta beat out JJSS for primary looks, and I don't for a moment buy that.  It could be 4-5 years until he's even the best WR on his own team no matter who's throwing to him.  That's tough to get too excited about. 

He's got AB in his way at a minimum, and then he's got a QB change coming soon.  Despite the fact that his next QB might be the guy he grew with in college (might), he's still gotta beat out JJSS for primary looks, and I don't for a moment buy that.  It could be 4-5 years until he's even the best WR on his own team no matter who's throwing to him.  That's tough to get too excited about. 
You can still be usable in FF if you are not your teams WR1, especially if you can score TDs (which he is doing a nice job of so far). JuJu had a nice rookie year but I am not ready to anoint him the next Steelers WR1. Washington is showing enough skills to get excited. The NFL changes quickly and if he proves he can play at this level he will be useful.  

If I were a Steelers fan I would be giddy over the prospect of having AB, JuJu and Washington on the field at the same time.  They've been snakebit for years tryiing to find a consistent 4th target after WR1 / WR2 / RB.

James Washington caught 1-of-5 targets for 14 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' Week 2 loss to the Chiefs.

Washington played just 11 snaps in Week 1 but was far more involved today with Justin Hunter a healthy scratch. Washington was targeted on the Steelers' first play from scrimmage and drew four looks in the first quarter, one of which was nullified by a Steelers penalty. The Steelers went away from the strategy as Washington's looks proved fruitless, though he did score a 14-yard touchdown late in the second quarter where a scrambling Ben Roethlisberger was almost entirely across the line of scrimmage. Washington is going to bust some big plays, but he's not currently re-draft relevant.

Sep 16 - 6:08 PM

James Washington - WR -  Steelers

James Washington is active for Week 9 against Baltimore.

Washington was a healthy scratch in Week 8. He's back ahead of Justin Hunter after his surprise demotion. Washington should return to his role in three-wide sets but doesn't have much target share behind Antonio Brown, JuJu Smith-Schuster and Vance McDonald.

Nov 4 - 12:03 PM

Washington dynasty owners... what are your thoughts on him thus far? I don't think anyone really expected him to come in and wow. Pre-draft reports had Washington at or near the top of this class. He is young, has some incredible athleticism, and talent to boot. When I traded and/or drafted him in my leagues I knew he was one of those I had to be patient on. I guess I'm finding myself losing my patience and considering offering him up in a deal for a RB like Kerryon or Chubb. To be fair, I have a lot of picks next year, and it's a deep WR class. 

Washington dynasty owners... what are your thoughts on him thus far? I don't think anyone really expected him to come in and wow. Pre-draft reports had Washington at or near the top of this class. He is young, has some incredible athleticism, and talent to boot. When I traded and/or drafted him in my leagues I knew he was one of those I had to be patient on. I guess I'm finding myself losing my patience and considering offering him up in a deal for a RB like Kerryon or Chubb. To be fair, I have a lot of picks next year, and it's a deep WR class. 
Granted, the league where I own Washington is only Keep 12, so ymmv...

I'm in last place in that league, and I just dropped Washington to grab Dez on the off chance that he goes off in NO once in the next 3 weeks before my league's trade deadline, so I can trade Dez away, even for a 3rd rounder. Then I expect Washington to still be sitting on the free agent wire for me to add him back to my roster for the off-season to see what happens with him. Odds are, with so few keepers in my league, he won't make my Keep 12 list.

Granted, the league where I own Washington is only Keep 12, so ymmv...

I'm in last place in that league, and I just dropped Washington to grab Dez on the off chance that he goes off in NO once in the next 3 weeks before my league's trade deadline, so I can trade Dez away, even for a 3rd rounder. Then I expect Washington to still be sitting on the free agent wire for me to add him back to my roster for the off-season to see what happens with him. Odds are, with so few keepers in my league, he won't make my Keep 12 list.
He wouldn't make my keep 12 list if we had one. We have 26 spots and I'm having trouble finding enough to make room for my embarrassment of riches in the form of draft picks next year. 

The reason I dust the cobwebs off this thread is that I have several (6) rookie WRs, and I expect to get another 3-4 next year. I'd like to trade some of my draft picks with a WR to either upgrade my RB situation or even to trade away for 2020 picks. Washington is one of those I have no idea what I have yet. The others I kind of have a good idea of 

As a fellow dynasty owner, I am holding.  Washington's trade value is pretty much rock bottom right now.  While I am down on him, I am not so down on him as to trade him for pennies on the dollar.  I will patiently hold and wait for his value to rebound.  If you are getting strong offers for Washington, that is another matter, but I suspect other owners are either looking to pick up Washington on the cheap or as a throw-in on a multi-player trade. Washington is a buy or a hold, not a sell at his current value.

Has anyone heard anymore about the AB lawsuit? Curious if this guy could still be valuable this year if AB happens to get suspended or is it to late in the season for AB to get suspended with an appeal and everything. 

Has anyone heard anymore about the AB lawsuit? Curious if this guy could still be valuable this year if AB happens to get suspended or is it to late in the season for AB to get suspended with an appeal and everything. 
Eh, I wouldn't see him getting suspended over throwing furniture out a window. AB is showing a little OBJ craziness/narcissism this season it seems. I'd be more concerned about that turning into a problem. 

The thing that is attractive for Washington is that AB is going to be nearing the end of his career in 3 or so years, right when Washington could be blossoming into a pretty amazing WR. He's 22  and will be at the young age of 25 when asked to be a bigger piece of the puzzle for the offense. To put that into perspective... Calvin Ridley turns 24 before the end of the season, Anthony Miller turned 24 a month ago. 

Again, hard to read what we have here. Not sure if any Pittsburgh folks have any insight watching this guy weekly, when he's on the field at least. As it stands, I have an offer of Washington and a mid to late 1st for Kerryon Johnson out on the table. 

AB got a reckless driving citation this morning for speeding over 100 mph.
So odd to see the wheels coming off of him this season... I'm not a huge follower of the Steelers, but it seems like he's just gone off the deep end between his early injury, calling out a reporter, whining about his targets, the furniture, now this. Even Big Ben had his own issues with regards to retirement and then being butt hurt over Rudolph being drafted. He likely got Haley fired. Just the Steelers in general, a lot of drama this year- even if you take Bell out of the discussion.

What's the thought on Washington now?  I don't expect big things from rookies but I expect some production.  He seems borderline droppable in dynasty at this point, but I'm having trouble finding info on him beyond his big drop last weekend.   

He seems borderline droppable in dynasty at this point
Whaaaaat?!

ETA: Washington was always considered a long play in dynasty. If you were expecting something for 2018, you drafted the wrong guy. Washington may not even be a contributor to your team until 2020. 

One league I'm in is 26 player rosters (12 team), and another is 20 (14 team). There's not a single player on the WW I would drop Washington for in either league. So the real question is, who would you be dropping him for? 

Users who are viewing this thread