What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR James Washington, NO Saints (2 Viewers)

Steelers Depot @Steelersdepot

Ben on Washington: "I think he took great strides because, physically, obviously everyone's seen what he's done in terms of losing weight, but getting stronger. I think he's gotten a bit faster. But mentally you don't see the mistakes. You don't see the confused look." #Steelers

when though? With the ones?

I need more from this thread- please help
The plan atm is Moncrief will be the starter when the season starts 

Plans change 

I have Washington ranked higher & both are cheap WR5/WR6 late picks

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
when though? With the ones?

I need more from this thread- please help
I’ve been monitoring closely. He’s been limited in his play with the ones but I feel comfortable saying his potential is higher than Moncriefs. I don’t know what the Steelers are doing trying to jam in Moncrief who has no long term value to the club and will only be there in 2019. Ben saying good things and his play (which has been high in practice as well as games) leads me to believe Washington is going to come out on top sooner rather than later. I imagine Moncrief will get a few games and he’ll do what he does: disappear or get injured then it will be Washington’s chance. 

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/08/25/Steelers-wide-receiver-James-Washington-Mason-Rudolph-NFL-exhibition-Tennessee-Titans-Mike-Tomlin/stories/201908250175?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_PGSportsNow

WR James Washington continues to impress for Steelers

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — If James Washington keeps this up, people are going to forget about that wide receiver with the Oakland Raiders.

Washington, last year’s No. 2 draft choice, continued his eye-opening preseason with his third catch of at least 40 yards, this time for a touchdown in the first quarter against the Tennessee Titans.

On the second play after quarterback Mason Rudolph replaced Ben Roethlisberger, Washington beat cornerback Kenneth Durden deep in the middle of the field for a 41-yard touchdown that gave the Steelers a 15-0 lead.

(video at link).

Washington came into the game averaging 20.2 yards on eight catches, including receptions of 43 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and 40 yards versus Kansas City Chiefs.

All three of his long catches have followed a similar pattern: They have come either on the first or second play of a series. That the first deep one with Rudolph, his former college teammate.

James Washington caught 1-of-2 targets for 41 yards and one touchdown in the Steelers' third preseason game.

Washington has dropped weight this offseason, and he looks notably faster this preseason, which has translated into a couple of deep catches. The second-year receiver is still developing and building chemistry with Big Ben, so he won't play ahead of veteran receiver Donte Moncrief to start the season. But Washington is definitely a receiver worthy of occupying a bench spot in fantasy with the Steelers replacing over 200 targets from last season.

Aug 25, 2019, 11:00 PM ET

Nice preseason but didn’t catch anything from Ben, right? That 41 yard TD v the Titans was just silly coverage, no idea what the safety’s responsibility was but waving buh bye from 8 yards away was suboptimal.

Like his upside as he continues to develop his craft this year. They’ll run a lot of 3 WR sets so I’m not too worried about snap count. He was basically free at 14.03 (Moncrief went 10.06) so bonus if he contributes, easy drop if he doesn’t.

Context Matters @dwainmcfarland

#Steelers WR James Washington has gained nearly all of his yards this preseason versus off coverage.

If he ever learns to beat tight press coverage he has WR1 upside long term.

When the ball is in the air his confidence is supreme. He expects to make the play. Swag is a thing.

James Washington caught 2-of-5 passes for 51 yards in Week 1 against the Patriots.

Washington outplayed Donte Moncrief, but his only highlight was a 45-yard catch. It's still a good sign for the 2018 second-rounder, who drew raves for his offseason. Washington didn't show much as a rookie, but he has the talent to pass Moncrief for the No. 2 role.

Sep 9, 2019, 12:02 AM ET

This has really only gotta be a matter of a few weeks, doesn't it?

I mean Moncrief and the others deserved no tread with the ones, and Washington was the only one getting separation at all. I have a hard time believing that Moncrief retains his role given his utterly disastrous showing last night. (Disastrous in the sense that he wasn't catching balls hitting him in the hands.)

I’m concerned that the rookies usage was on par with Washington, not reassuring

Last edited by a moderator:
rockaction said:
This has really only gotta be a matter of a few weeks, doesn't it?

I mean Moncrief and the others deserved no tread with the ones, and Washington was the only one getting separation at all. I have a hard time believing that Moncrief retains his role given his utterly disastrous showing last night. (Disastrous in the sense that he wasn't catching balls hitting him in the hands.)
:shrug:

There are other things besides getting open that Moncrief may do better than Washington. Such as blocking?

To be honest I thought the Steelers looked phased and out of synch the whole game. Credit to the Patriots defense and game plan as a part of that, but it seemed that JJSS not as good as Brown and Ben needs Brown more than Brown needs him.

But maybe Washington earns more snaps moving forward.

Game 1

Moncrief had as many snaps as JJSS 90% of the Steelers plays.

Switzer had the 3rd most 46 (67%)

Washinton the 4th most 36 (52%)

So first lets see if Washington can earn more snaps than Switzer before worrying about Moncrief.

:shrug:

There are other things besides getting open that Moncrief may do better than Washington. Such as blocking?

To be honest I thought the Steelers looked phased and out of synch the whole game. Credit to the Patriots defense and game plan as a part of that, but it seemed that JJSS not as good as Brown and Ben needs Brown more than Brown needs him.

But maybe Washington earns more snaps moving forward.

Game 1

Moncrief had as many snaps as JJSS 90% of the Steelers plays.

Switzer had the 3rd most 46 (67%)

Washinton the 4th most 36 (52%)

So first lets see if Washington can earn more snaps than Switzer before worrying about Moncrief.
With all due respect (and not to just be contrary), but I’m not sure that is sound logic. Switzerland is never going to move past the slot, as that’s where his talents lie. Montcrief did look absolutely HORRIBLE in all phases last night. Not sure if it will be Washington or Diontae, but somebody’s going to be starting opposite JJSS really soon. 

With all due respect (and not to just be contrary), but I’m not sure that is sound logic. Switzerland is never going to move past the slot, as that’s where his talents lie. Montcrief did look absolutely HORRIBLE in all phases last night. Not sure if it will be Washington or Diontae, but somebody’s going to be starting opposite JJSS really soon. 
What is wrong with the logic?

Facts are that the Steelers have played 3 or more WR more than any other team last season and that isn't likely to change. So there will be 3 WR on the field on the majority of all offensive plays (more than 3/4ths of them).

To get opportunities you have to be on the field. Switzer played more offensive snaps than Washington. 

It would be a huge increase for Washington to be playing 90% of the snaps like Moncrief had. So I think of this in terms of baby steps. First he would need to play more than Switzer.

But your point is taken that perhaps it would be a large leap like this if you think Switzer is entrenched at the slot WR position.

I agree. Switzer needs off the field, period. JJSS should be in slot and some combo of Moncrief/Washignton/Johnson need to be on the outside. Ben needs to deal with it and get himself straight. I don’t agree with the Ben needing Brown more than the opposite. Let’s not forget that little ##### ran away from Derek Carr to get to the top QB/offense in the league. Ben has survived a long, long time and without AB. His decline is inevitable though and could even be past due.

With Ben now out and Mason taking over. Does Washington get a bump to almost a top WR for Pittsburgh over JUJu?

I expect Washington targets to raise and JuJu to drop. 

Snap counts for Steelers WR week 2

JJSS 47 (86%) 8 targets 5 receptions

Washington 34 (60%) 3 targets 2 receptions

Johnson 27 (47%) 4 targets 1 reception

Moncrief 18 (32%) 1 target 0 receptions

Switzer 13 (23%) 4 targets 1 reception

Progress?

Last edited by a moderator:
Because CBS just mentioned it on their Podcast - Rudolph and Washington played together in college and likely will lean on each other and have a trust factor.  I could see this happening, even more so if Conner is out and less touches go that way.
Yep agreed, and that chemistry continued in the preseason this year.  Moncrief is battling a finger injury, had four drops last week and a brutal drop turned INT vs. Seahawks.  I don't know how Steelers can continue to start Moncrief over Washington.

Washington is the epitome of a buy low candidate.  Rudolph + for him, Conner injury + for him, Moncrief is terrible + for him.  SF in w3 (Pitt should have to throw a lot), CIN in w4 (gave up 600yds to SF) and Mia w6 are 3/4 decent games coming up.  

Was going to drop him on Wednesday until I came in here lol, definitely worth holding onto for a week or 2 to see if he and Rudolph have a legit rapport, especially since Juju is getting a lot of attention from opposing defenses. 

What a disappointment.

The only vestige of hope is that he getting squat because the Steelers are limiting Rudolphs play book to a bunch of short passes and RB dumpoffs, which is true...but still.

Washington (Or Dorsett) are the next cuts from my team as we head into the byes. I think dropping them for another WR3+ is pointless. They are all the same...

James Washington (shoulder) won't return for Week 5 against the Ravens.

It was Washington's best day as a pro, hauling in 3-of-6 targets for 52 yards from Mason Rudolph (concussion) before exiting after the half. With Donte Moncrief healthy scratched, Johnny Holton will work as PIttsburgh's No. 3 wideout for the rest of regulation.

Oct 6, 2019, 3:30 PM ET

James Washington (shoulder) is questionable for Week 6 against the Chargers.

It's unfortunate timing as Washington (3/52) was well on his way to having his best performance as a pro before exiting in the third quarter and donning a sling postgame. It's possible Donte Moncrief plays over Johnny Holton if Washington misses Sunday night's tilt, but JuJu Smith-Schuster and rookie Diontae Johnson are still the only receivers worth rostering the rest of the way for Pittsburgh.

SOURCE: Dale Lolley on Twitter

Oct 8, 2019, 12:23 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports James Washington (shoulder) is expected to miss "a few weeks."

Washington was having a strong Week 5 with a 3-52 line on six targets before exiting at halftime. Johnny Holton and Ryan Switzer figure to chip in as the third and fourth wideouts behind JuJu Smith-Schuster and Diontae Johnson while Washington is out. Donte Moncrief has been a healthy scratch.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 9, 2019, 9:30 AM ET

James Washington (shoulder) has been ruled out for the Steelers' Sunday night matchup against the Chargers.

It's tough to get behind any WR in this offense with an undrafted rookie free agent under center. Devlin Hodges was fine enough in relief last week and put up solid numbers in four seasons at Samford, but the Steelers Offense is simply in a brutal road spot against one of the league's better groups of CBs. It'd be surprising if the Steelers didn't lean on James Conner and the ground game as much as possible.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter.

Oct 11, 2019, 4:18 PM ET

Steelers WR James Washington (shoulder) returned to practice Monday.

There's still no hard timetable on Rudolph's return. Washington only totaled 12 targets in his three starts following Donte Moncrief's riddance to the bench, but the former was having his best day (3/52) as a pro from Mason Rudolph before injuring his shoulder in Week 6. Returning for Week 8 against the Dolphins is now firmly in the cards.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Oct 21, 2019, 1:32 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread