What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Driving the Pacific Coast Highway - Need Some Advice (1 Viewer)

Senor Schmutzig

Footballguy
In May I am going to be in Los Angeles with a few co-workers on a Sunday and have to be in Seattle by Tuesday night. Nothing scheduled in between. Instead of just flying from LAX to SEA, I would much rather drive up the PCH to San Francisco and fly from SFO/SJC to SEA on Tuesday. Unfortunately the PCH is closed north of San Simeon due to a mudslide last year so we won't be able to take it all the way up to San Francisco via that route. It looks like I will have to head inland for a bit and then get back to the PCH near Gorda. 

We are most likely going to stay in Santa Barbara on Sunday night due to a prior commitment. It's a long slog to get up to San Francisco by Monday night if we want to enjoy anything that the coast has to offer so what would be a sensible stop along our northbound route that would still allow us to enjoy the drive without rushing? I thought that Monterey/Carmel would make sense on Monday night and it would give us plenty of time to get to SJC/SFO on Tuesday for our flight to SEA in the late afternoon. 

We like good food, wine and decent accommodations ($300/night max) so any recommendations that you know of along the way that would fit those parameters would be appreciated. 

In May I am going to be in Los Angeles with a few co-workers on a Sunday and have to be in Seattle by Tuesday night. Nothing scheduled in between. Instead of just flying from LAX to SEA, I would much rather drive up the PCH to San Francisco and fly from SFO/SJC to SEA on Tuesday. Unfortunately the PCH is closed north of San Simeon due to a mudslide last year so we won't be able to take it all the way up to San Francisco via that route. It looks like I will have to head inland for a bit and then get back to the PCH near Gorda. 

We are most likely going to stay in Santa Barbara on Sunday night due to a prior commitment. It's a long slog to get up to San Francisco by Monday night if we want to enjoy anything that the coast has to offer so what would be a sensible stop along our northbound route that would still allow us to enjoy the drive without rushing? I thought that Monterey/Carmel would make sense on Monday night and it would give us plenty of time to get to SJC/SFO on Tuesday for our flight to SEA in the late afternoon. 

We like good food, wine and decent accommodations ($300/night max) so any recommendations that you know of along the way that would fit those parameters would be appreciated. 
Carmel would be a great stop for Monday night if you like these things. 

agree w/ Monterey/Carmel/Pacific grove. 

one other option: Cambria. it's on Highway 1. a small town w a few cool bars and restaurants, and i think a brewery with FFA affiliation iirc. if you take Hwy 46 east about 10 minutes, you're on Westside Paso Robles for wine. also, Hearst Castle is just up the way if you're interested in a tour like that (book in advance). plus, it's not too far from 101, which will take you to SFO on Tuesday. 

Monterey just seemed less pretentious when we visited.
Two of the four I'll be with aren't necessarily pretentious but they do like nice "things".

Eh....yeah, they are pretentious.

The other two, myself included, appreciate the full spectrum when it comes to drink and food (cold beer at ####hole dives up to higher end, French Laundry type of places with organic farm-to-table food and ridiculous wine lists) and mileage varies when it comes to accommodations although we all have higher than normal standards when it comes to hotels... 

My in-laws live in Carmel and we did this drive last week from OC.  We stopped in Santa Barbara for a bit, then headed the rest of the way to Carmel.

In Santa Barbara, on Yanonali St. (near State Street) there are multiple winery/brew pubs and even a distillery tasting room.  I would think if you started at State and Yanonali you could spend your afternoon/evening eating and drinking over the 6-7 blocks.

I'd get up early on Monday and head to Carmel.  With the 1 closure, we took 101 (not much to see) and cut over on 68 to 1, then head south a bit on 1 to Carmel.   Get settled and eat lunch.  I'd then head south a bit more to Point Lobos and go to the state park.  You can drive and park, then walk along an easy path right on the coast.  The waves crashing on the rocky coastline is one of my favorite spots, it is an amazing view.

You could then head another 45 minutes south down to Nepenthe.  May be longer if you stop at some of the pull outs.  I'd stop at the Bixby Creek bridge about halfway down.   There is a restaurant in Nepenthe that has a deck overlooking the ocean.  Depending on the time, you could either have a drink or eat dinner.  (Have a designated driver though, windy road getting back).  Then head back to your hotel.  There are some bar/restaurants in downtown Carmel you can hang out it or get a late dinner.

Tuesday you could head up 1 past Santa Cruz and up to Half Moon Bay.   Lots of good restaurants in HMB.  You could then take 92 towards SFO, or if you had time continue up the coast to Pacifica and then head over to SFO.   

I think that would get you some amazing views and some good food and drink.

And bring a jacket.

Two of the four I'll be with aren't necessarily pretentious but they do like nice "things".

The other two, myself included, appreciate the full spectrum when it comes to drink and food (cold beer at ####hole dives up to higher end, French Laundry type of places with organic farm-to-table food and ridiculous wine lists) and mileage varies when it comes to accommodations although we all have higher than normal standards when it comes to hotels... 
if you do end up in Monterey, Passoinfish (Pacific Grove) is great for a meal. wine list is off-the-charts good, and i think their markup is only like 50% from retail. very reasonable. 

Carmel/Monterey/big sur- fan of a restaurant in Carmel called casonova, but there are many. Nepenthe, as mentioned, is very good.

Edit: also like grasings, la bicyclette, Portobello

Half Moon Bay.... Moss distillery. Food is average. Great place to hang out and grab a drink outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tuesday you could head up 1 past Santa Cruz and up to Half Moon Bay.   Lots of good restaurants in HMB.  You could then take 92 towards SFO, or if you had time continue up the coast to Pacifica and then head over to SFO.   
Great info, thanks. That's the type of quality I come to expect from the FFA!

I would rather avoid Santa Cruz if possible due to the guilt factor. My aunt lives there and I don't want to let her know that I rolled through town without stopping in to say hi. I went there a couple times a year growing up and love the place. Fond memories of going to the Boardwalk and trying to throw the rings into the clowns mouth from the ferris wheel.

It will take you 7 hours just to go through Oregon

Pismo Beach is a good stop for ocean view lodging.  When hungry, head into SLO.  The restaurant scene there has had a revival in recent years as many families moved into the area; It's no longer just a college town.

agree w/ Monterey/Carmel/Pacific grove. 

one other option: Cambria. it's on Highway 1. a small town w a few cool bars and restaurants, and i think a brewery with FFA affiliation iirc. if you take Hwy 46 east about 10 minutes, you're on Westside Paso Robles for wine. also, Hearst Castle is just up the way if you're interested in a tour like that (book in advance). plus, it's not too far from 101, which will take you to SFO on Tuesday. 
 Yup, that is me with the 927 Beer Company in Cambria.  Let me know if you plan to stop in...

the "1" is closed just north of Salmon Creek Falls and to get to the other side will tak about 3 hours over a winding 1 lane road.  Probably best if you went as far north as you can and see what is there, it is beautiful and not a look of traffic so that is a plus.  Then i would head back to the 46 over the 101 and get to Monterey/Carmel and drive down as far as you can while maintaining your schedule.

let me know if i can help out with stuff...

Agreed with @Mad Cow, Monterrey seemed a lot less pretentious than Carmel.  We went there without a plan - found a place in Pacific Grove, walked the rocks, found a shop, drank some wine, took some back to our room, etc.  Next day made our way down to Carmel, were unimpressed and worked our way back to Monterrey that afternoon.  Spent the afternoon on the docks, found another place to crash, then some locals steered us towards dinner that night.

Sardine Factory was a great recommendation - don't show up in dregs or they'll shun you to the basement dining room though.  You'll get 5 star treatment if you dress for it.  You'll get to see the people shunned to the basement if you dress in between.  We think we were more entertained with the tier 2 option - everyone who went down came back up within 10 minutes.

Depending on when your flight is skip Half Moon Bay and stop at Phil's Fish Market for lunch earlier.  It's in the middle of nowhere in between Santa Cruz and Monterrey.  Different flavor than most PCH options, but in a good way and the food is excellent.  Timing probably won't work if your flight is too early though.

pats3in4 said:
Pismo Beach is a good stop for ocean view lodging.  When hungry, head into SLO.  The restaurant scene there has had a revival in recent years as many families moved into the area; It's no longer just a college town.
The restaurants in Paso Robles are better. 

the "1" is closed just north of Salmon Creek Falls and to get to the other side will tak about 3 hours over a winding 1 lane road.  Probably best if you went as far north as you can and see what is there, it is beautiful and not a look of traffic so that is a plus.  Then i would head back to the 46 over the 101 and get to Monterey/Carmel and drive down as far as you can while maintaining your schedule.

let me know if i can help out with stuff...
What route should we take from Santa Barbara?  Take the 1 (and 101 as needed) as much as we can up to Cambria?

What route should we take from Santa Barbara?  Take the 1 (and 101 as needed) as much as we can up to Cambria?
Right after Gaviota the 1 will take you into Lompoc.  It's a nice drive through the hills but will take you through a small town and farm land.  You will eventually funnel back to the 101.  I would say you should stay on the 101 until you get into San Luis Obispo and then follow the 1 from there through Morro Bay into Cambria.

ETA:  Unless you want to go through Lompoc and meet up for a beer or wine......hahahha

Right after Gaviota the 1 will take you into Lompoc.  It's a nice drive through the hills but will take you through a small town and farm land.  You will eventually funnel back to the 101.  I would say you should stay on the 101 until you get into San Luis Obispo and then follow the 1 from there through Morro Bay into Cambria.

ETA:  Unless you want to go through Lompoc and meet up for a beer or wine......hahahha
This would be most direct way.   When is your trip?  May is almost over

Not a lot of time to stop by.  I "work" all day in the tap room on Sundays and Mondays after 5pm.

enjoy the trip!

My in-laws live in Carmel and we did this drive last week from OC.  We stopped in Santa Barbara for a bit, then headed the rest of the way to Carmel.

In Santa Barbara, on Yanonali St. (near State Street) there are multiple winery/brew pubs and even a distillery tasting room.  I would think if you started at State and Yanonali you could spend your afternoon/evening eating and drinking over the 6-7 blocks.

I'd get up early on Monday and head to Carmel.  With the 1 closure, we took 101 (not much to see) and cut over on 68 to 1, then head south a bit on 1 to Carmel.   Get settled and eat lunch.  I'd then head south a bit more to Point Lobos and go to the state park.  You can drive and park, then walk along an easy path right on the coast.  The waves crashing on the rocky coastline is one of my favorite spots, it is an amazing view.

You could then head another 45 minutes south down to Nepenthe.  May be longer if you stop at some of the pull outs.  I'd stop at the Bixby Creek bridge about halfway down.   There is a restaurant in Nepenthe that has a deck overlooking the ocean.  Depending on the time, you could either have a drink or eat dinner.  (Have a designated driver though, windy road getting back).  Then head back to your hotel.  There are some bar/restaurants in downtown Carmel you can hang out it or get a late dinner.

I think that would get you some amazing views and some good food and drink.

And bring a jacket.
Hey neighbor!   :hifive:

Good stuff here.  The spot you reference in SB is called the Funk Zone and is a great spot to walk around and sample some great food/wine/beer.  

What are the top spots to visit in Monterey/Big Sur?  Looking to do a two day trip.  

I see all kinds of different spots like Asilomar State Beach, China Cove, Pacific Grove Ocean Trail, McWay Falls, etc.  I don't know which of those (or others) are must see.  Is Limekiln anything special?

I have the aquarium and 17 mile drive circled so far.

:unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread