What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A Quiet Place...my review of the movie. (1 Viewer)

eoMMan

Footballguy
Decent movie. Very well acted and all but different things irritated me about the movie...spoilers below...

1. Why the #### have a baby? Babies cry and little kids are clumsy and make noise. Dumb idea. I understand your other kid got eaten but still a horrible idea. Putting your whole family in danger.

2. For how smart this family was with surviving (putting sand down, catching the fish, etc), why not catch one of the monsters? You know they are blind and attracted to sound. It wouldn't be that difficult to lure one into a cage of some sort or a big net and kill that mother ####er.

3. No backstory? Seriously? Maybe a flashback to how this particular family escaped?

4. Emily Blunt could get it.

I am just going to non spoiler respond. If you don’t want to know about the movie, don’t read on. 

Just saw it today and the whole baby angle I think does revolve around them losing their kid and wanting to fill that void. The family was still so crushed and dealing with it throughout the movie, they hoped this would heal them. But I agree, there is no way for the first two years of the kid’s life could you keep it quiet. Not the smartest move.

As far as catching one, there were at least three of them in the area and the title of the one newspaper said they couldn’t be killed. Plus they were incredibly strong and had armor. Heck, the one ripped the side off that silo. So even if you got one isolated, you would make so much noise getting it, you would have others attacking. Look how quickly they swarmed when she killed the one.

i think the sign of a good movie is you want to know more. I think the way this movie told the backstory was through the newspaper headlines scattered throughout the movie.

I loved Emily in Edge of Tomorrow and have had a thing for her since. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw it tonight. On the baby thing, I was just impressed at the ability to have sex quiet enough not to get the creature’s attention.

I guess having a few kids gives that kind of experience though.

Great film.  

See it in the theater.  

It gets you more into it because you are trying to be quiet and so are the characters.  

No complaints. 

Decent movie. Very well acted and all but different things irritated me about the movie...spoilers below...

1. Why the #### have a baby? Babies cry and little kids are clumsy and make noise. Dumb idea. I understand your other kid got eaten but still a horrible idea. Putting your whole family in danger.

2. For how smart this family was with surviving (putting sand down, catching the fish, etc), why not catch one of the monsters? You know they are blind and attracted to sound. It wouldn't be that difficult to lure one into a cage of some sort or a big net and kill that mother ####er.

3. No backstory? Seriously? Maybe a flashback to how this particular family escaped?

They were quilt ridden about losing the other child and wanted repopulate the earth.
Agreed on Emily Blount. I fell under her spell on Edge of Tomorrow. Have a running battle on my other board with two other people who want Emily to be their board gf.

Not putting in spoiler... On #3, I figured they were just able to adapt better due to their deaf daughter and knowledge of sign language. I didn’t think a backstory was needed on that part.

Liked it a lot. SPOILER My only minor hang up is why not let the deaf kid in the basement?  They make a point of Jim telling her she can’t down there, but they never give any reason why. 

Also question about a trailer I saw, movie looked cool, but I can’t find the name anywhere.  Basically looked like someone stumbled into a cult / commune. I remember at one point the guy pulls a rope and then it looks like the air grabs it from him or something?  I know it’s vague, appreciate any help.

Liked it a lot. SPOILER My only minor hang up is why not let the deaf kid in the basement?  They make a point of Jim telling her she can’t down there, but they never give any reason why.
They didn't trust her.  She got their youngest son killed.  HTH

I saw it tonight. On the baby thing, I was just impressed at the ability to have sex quiet enough not to get the creature’s attention.

I guess having a few kids gives that kind of experience though.
Yeah I don't think I could even jack off more than 3 or 4 times a day under that much pressure

Great film.  

See it in the theater.  

It gets you more into it because you are trying to be quiet and so are the characters.  

No complaints. 
Spoiler

Yeah it was very quiet in the theater and is part of the experience. The popcorn munchers become very noticeable.

Good B type movie with an interesting story line;

Same peeves as earlier mentioned no way they could survive long with a crying baby. Insanity.

Also could have expanded on the other survivor night time fires and what was going on.

Wife told me this morning that my snoring would have gotten me killed. Told her that her farting would have gotten her killed.

Feel like that is what did in most of humanity.

I thought it was a simple concept well-executed.  Regarding the questions raised:

Yes, having a child is a huge risk.  They did take precautions by building the bunker in a completely different structure, but still.  That said, there's the guilt/grief thing. It's also possible that it was an accident.  They never expressly say.

I liked that there wasn't a ton of exposition about background or the other survivors and the fires.  I take it from when the kids lit the fire and no one else did, however, that the other survivors had been killed.  Not sure if that is a correct assumption, but we do know that the old couple got killed and they may have been one of the fires.

Capturing/trapping one of the creatures?  Good luck with that.  The thing ripped its way through the hull of a grain silo.  How the hell are you going to trap it?  And it's not like you can make noise building whatever you plan to trap it in.  That said, if you were going to try to trap it at all, one would have thought that the grain silo would have been the best location to do so.

Maik Jeaunz said:
And also with all of the technical equipment down there, and her being deaf, she might have done something to make sound and not even know it (pushed a button, turned on the mic, etc). 
Exactly.  Her being deaf is a huge liability if she is around anything that could make a noise.

Listened to a podcast today about the movie. Apparently when Krasinski got the screenplay, the opening sequence was going to be a flashback in the middle of the movie, and there were other flashbacks as well apparently. Krasinski apparently pushed to remove the flashback elements, looking to pare down the film to its most basic elements. I think that was a great approach. No backstories. No exposition. Everything you know about the characters you know based on their real time interactions with each other on screen. The more I reflect on this movie the more I really appreciate what Krasinski did with it. 

As the podcast hosts observed, this movie concept could have been done in so many really bad ways. One such way is that the screenplay was apparently shopped at one point as being part of the Cloverfield universe. So glad they didn’t go that direction. 

The more I have been thinking about the movie (and maybe I am wrong about this) one of the flaws I find is they launch the rockets and it distracts the one, but one shotgun shell brings the whole horde. 

The only thing that drove me crazy was not fixing the nail, or at least pointing it out to others coming down the stairs.
I thought about that to. Why not just hammer it. Yeah not going to happen.

And in the opening scene all food is gone except for the potato chips

The more I have been thinking about the movie (and maybe I am wrong about this) one of the flaws I find is they launch the rockets and it distracts the one, but one shotgun shell brings the whole horde. 
I don’t think it’s a horde.  I believe it’s only three. And why do you think the rockets only distracted one?

Listened to a podcast today about the movie. Apparently when Krasinski got the screenplay, the opening sequence was going to be a flashback in the middle of the movie, and there were other flashbacks as well apparently. Krasinski apparently pushed to remove the flashback elements, looking to pare down the film to its most basic elements. I think that was a great approach. No backstories. No exposition. Everything you know about the characters you know based on their real time interactions with each other on screen. The more I reflect on this movie the more I really appreciate what Krasinski did with it. 

As the podcast hosts observed, this movie concept could have been done in so many really bad ways. One such way is that the screenplay was apparently shopped at one point as being part of the Cloverfield universe. So glad they didn’t go that direction. 
Which podcast?

not too much gore or other inappropriate stuff?  my initial impression was that it would be too much, but in reading more about it, it seems like maybe not so bad.
It's more of a suspense, high tension movie than horror IMO. Next to no gore if any at all. And open your candy before the movie starts. The theatre will be that quiet. 

not too much gore or other inappropriate stuff?  my initial impression was that it would be too much, but in reading more about it, it seems like maybe not so bad.
I can’t think of a single swear word in the entire thing, and no sex stuff either.  It’s just intense. 

The only thing that drove me crazy was not fixing the nail, or at least pointing it out to others coming down the stairs.
Who built those stairs? Zero chance there's a nail that was hammered in that way(bottom to top). ZERO STARS  /Tanner

Really enjoyed the film

There are many things you could nitpick about. No colds? Sneezing? Toilets? Snoring?

I say who cares? It was a very good, intense movie.

As far as the baby, wouldn't you put it to Emily Blunt?? Pregnancy is bound to happen. I don't think it was on purpose at all. It was to add more tension to the movie.

I could not do this in the theater.

People crunching popcorn/nachos already drives me batty with movies on full blast.

Courtjester said:
We're past spoiler warnings right?  Spoiler...

I assumed when they killed the one, it screamed or made some kind of distress call and that's what drew the others.

I could not do this in the theater.

People crunching popcorn/nachos already drives me batty with movies on full blast.
At least in the theater I was in, people were very aware of just how quiet it was. I think people were purposefully not trying to make any noise. 

I also told my wife that if she bought chips to eat and made any noise, I was gonna smack them onto the floor. 

I've been thinking about the ending, and here is my somewhat depressing epilogue:

there is no happy ending. even if she manages to kill the 2 that are running toward them, they will never be totally sure if there are any more in the area. so their best bet to stay alive would be to stay where they are. now they have an idea how to kill them (hurt them with audio feedback first), but who can she tell? nobody answered his radio communications, and I doubt there is any powerful group or government agency still nearby that they can go to to advise them of what they learned. the dad seemed to be the technical one, so I doubt they can rig up any kind of killin' machine. besides, with a deaf child and a newborn, it's not like she can venture too far. and with dad gone, there won't be any more kids in the family either. maybe they can form some sort of community with their remaining neighbors nearby, but I think the most likely scenario is that this family will live out their lives on this farm and pass away one by one...and so will all of humanity. good times!

I've been thinking about the ending, and here is my somewhat depressing epilogue:

there is no happy ending. even if she manages to kill the 2 that are running toward them, they will never be totally sure if there are any more in the area. so their best bet to stay alive would be to stay where they are. now they have an idea how to kill them (hurt them with audio feedback first), but who can she tell? nobody answered his radio communications, and I doubt there is any powerful group or government agency still nearby that they can go to to advise them of what they learned. the dad seemed to be the technical one, so I doubt they can rig up any kind of killin' machine. besides, with a deaf child and a newborn, it's not like she can venture too far. and with dad gone, there won't be any more kids in the family either. maybe they can form some sort of community with their remaining neighbors nearby, but I think the most likely scenario is that this family will live out their lives on this farm and pass away one by one...and so will all of humanity. good times!

It's unclear whether there are even any more neighbors nearby.  When the kids lit the fire, no one else did.  We know the old couple died, but it would seem to be a weird coincidence that all the neighbors were killed on the same day.  Maybe the kids weren't lighting the fires at the right time of day.

I loved the movie. 

As far as why have a baby? - They love each other and a baby is a product of that love. No matter what is going on love must and does persist. I also liked how they held hands and said grace at dinner. That is some real faith being shown there.

It seemed to me (and I could definitely be wrong) that they showed more than just the 2 others coming. This led me to believe that the creatures must have had some sort of collective brain and when one was killed the others knew it and came to fight the threat. Like I said, i am probably wrong.

Saw it last night.  Yeah, there were some things that bothered me, but it was a cool concept that had to be tough to pull off and they did a good job with it.

Also, I'd just like to thank the woman right behind me who had the cold for not waiting until she got over it to go see this movie in the theater. 

Well acted, but because it was so quiet it gives one a lot of time to pick apart the dumb aspects of it.

If they didn't acknowledge the rest of the world in it, it may have been more difficult to pick apart.  That being said the army wouldn't have any problem hashing out the fact that sounds could hurt them.  After trying to shoot them, blow them up, nuke them, chemically attack them, then sound would have been the logical next step.  In fact, that they would come running for sound would make them easier to foil.  Instead of no sound, use constant sound. You could use a ping and pong effect with food to basically ensnare them for life.

They appear to be ground base beings, so attacking them from the air would be a never ending battle.  They didn't have fingers, so it would be possible to tag and track them (straps/ adhesive/ inside an animal).     Dumping vats of bacterial glue on them would likely cause them to not be able to move.  If you could trap and  immobilize them then you could blast them into space or sink them into the ocean.   Just a few thoughts I had watching this :)  

Well acted, but because it was so quiet it gives one a lot of time to pick apart the dumb aspects of it.

If they didn't acknowledge the rest of the world in it, it may have been more difficult to pick apart.  That being said the army wouldn't have any problem hashing out the fact that sounds could hurt them.  After trying to shoot them, blow them up, nuke them, chemically attack them, then sound would have been the logical next step.  In fact, that they would come running for sound would make them easier to foil.  Instead of no sound, use constant sound. You could use a ping and pong effect with food to basically ensnare them for life.

They appear to be ground base beings, so attacking them from the air would be a never ending battle.  They didn't have fingers, so it would be possible to tag and track them (straps/ adhesive/ inside an animal).     Dumping vats of bacterial glue on them would likely cause them to not be able to move.  If you could trap and  immobilize them then you could blast them into space or sink them into the ocean.   Just a few thoughts I had watching this :)  
I totally agree. The military could have wiped them out without a problem. It's pretty easy to destroy an enemy when you know exactly what to do to bring them into the open.

Find a big canyon, make a bunch of noise, drop a nuke.

I loved the movie, but I just can't get past how easy it would have been to wipe these dudes out with a little effort.

I totally agree. The military could have wiped them out without a problem. It's pretty easy to destroy an enemy when you know exactly what to do to bring them into the open.

I loved the movie, but I just can't get past how easy it would have been to wipe these dudes out with a little effort.
if I know anything about alien movies, I know that there is one bad### unseen alien mama who is different than the others and much harder to kill.

Sometimes it's better to just league things unexplained.  Like how did they still have electricity?

Users who are viewing this thread