What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Racial profiling and discrimination thread (1 Viewer)

My bias?  I'm not posting random articles of a big dummy in Memphis, Tennessee, calling the police and the situation being handled quickly and correctly.
Yes, your bias. You have argued against every charge of racism in this thread and in several other instances as well. You don’t want to believe that it’s endemic in our society so you ignore or attempt to attack all evidence that would argue against your beliefs. Of course this is all in my opinion based on your posts. 

Yes, your bias. You have argued against every charge of racism in this thread and in several other instances as well. You don’t want to believe that it’s endemic in our society so you ignore or attempt to attack all evidence that would argue against your beliefs. Of course this is all in my opinion based on your posts. 
You're accusing me of arguing against racism in the Memphis story that he posted?

>>Thankfully, in this case, the police were quick to call the woman out on her bull#### and defended Hayes’ right to be there.<<

This is like a ‘dog doesn’t bite man’ story. 

I’ve spent some time in Memphis. Southern as Southern gets. Despite tension and high crime blacks and whites get along all the time in wonderful ways.

I think if there’s a lesson here it’s the crap cops have to go through daily distracting them from the more serious work they need to do.

Instances like these were common when my city first started experimenting with body worn cameras.  In fact one of the biggest selling points to our Department was that there would be documentation in these types of incidents.  As it became widely understood that there were cameras the incidents lessened, but there are still false accusations.

Me, I do not make any global extrapolations from such incidents.  often times criminals or annoyed traffic scofflaws will lie to try to get out of responsibility. A powerful lie is one that means to shift the power structure of the encounter and so allegations of racial animus.  The thing is the folks making those claims under those circumstances do not represent an entire race, nor are those allegations falsity any indication whatsoever that in some other circumstances that animus was not true.  These are interesting anecdotes, but only anecdotes. 

For the most part Departments have made great strides in instituting procedures to insure equal and respectful treatment for all.  That said there may be some Departments which have not, and certainly even in Departments with model procedures there may be individuals who through some malice of heart and just plain bad wiring who abuse their authority to express their ignorance.

I remember Daryl Gates and the LAPD under him, both for his reform but also for the climate that flourished under his tenure.  I remember Chief Breier in Milwaukee.  For those unfamiliar he is an interesting study.  My take, things are not as alarmists on either side of this issue would have folks believe.  The journey to improvement needs to continue, but we are a long way on that path.  Unfortunately there are those invested in the journey getting sidetracked.

We are not currently so far removed from the past that its shadow does not linger, it does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you went from an unfair trolling accusation of "You have argued against every charge of racism in this thread" to "No, just in general" plenty quickly.  You sure you aren't the one that unfairly paints people with your own biases?
No I don’t think so. Even in that instance you still managed to frame your post as an attack againat squistion. I’m pretty confident about my view regarding your opinions. Naturally, though, I hope you’ll change your mind. 

No I don’t think so. Even in that instance you still managed to frame your post as an attack againat squistion. I’m pretty confident about my view regarding your opinions. Naturally, though, I hope you’ll change your mind. 
LOL you know nothing about me. I didn't attack anyone.  I stated where I thought the story belonged based on other random stories that get posted in the PSF.   I'm confident about my view that you're judgmental and love to paint people with a broad brush based on your own biases.  Hopefully, you will change.

Yes so.  Again you side with the people crying racism in every case.  You have said multiple times now.  And whats amazing about that is that you are so insulated in your world you have now clue how that looks.   Calling someone a racist, which is what you are doing, is just dangerous man.  Being some sort of racial white knight must be exhausting.

Yes so.  Again you side with the people crying racism in every case.  You have said multiple times now.  And whats amazing about that is that you are so insulated in your world you have now clue how that looks.   Calling someone a racist, which is what you are doing, is just dangerous man.  Being some sort of racial white knight must be exhausting.
It can be tiring at times, sure.

Henry Ford said:
He was in the act of attacking an officer at the time, who first deployed his taser and was unable to stop the guy. 

What do you want him to do, tickle him?
Attacking him with what?  That police force can't take an unarmed man into custody without firing a gun?

I mean, I don't want to jump to conclusions, but it's possible the naked guy running across I-95 after a hit and run who wasn't subdued when the police officer he was attacking deployed his taser might have been on some drugs.  Again, just pure speculation.

I mean, I don't want to jump to conclusions, but it's possible the naked guy running across I-95 after a hit and run who wasn't subdued when the police officer he was attacking deployed his taser might have been on some drugs.  Again, just pure speculation.
This was a situation that called for a K-9 unit.  A K-9 latching onto that guys unit and he would have stopped dead in his tracks.

squistion said:
The story was about the woman calling the police, not the police response.
That lady was way out of line, obviously. Especially to stay around and try to dictate to the African-American gentleman with the cops present.

What goes unsaid -- and maybe this just isn't seen as important in the grand scheme, I don't know -- is that a lot of people like that call the cops on all kinds of people for all kinds of reasons. They're the mean lady that sprays bike-riding local kids (lily-white ones!) with their garden hose for riding on "her" sidewalk. They're the ones that complain to police about kids walking home from school cutting across her lawn. They're the one that freaks out when they see a young long-haired white kid IN UNIFORM collecting buggies at the grocery store parking lot  -- "Officer, I think he was looking in people's cars!"

Nine times out of ten ... yes, gripping fear of the "other" is present as well. Probably more than "present" ... probably better to say "underlying". I don't know what it's called clinically ... but there is something not right in those minds. Is paranoia an actual diagnosis or more a symptom of recognized disorders?

That lady was way out of line, obviously. Especially to stay around and try to dictate to the African-American gentleman with the cops present.

What goes unsaid -- and maybe this just isn't seen as important in the grand scheme, I don't know -- is that a lot of people like that call the cops on all kinds of people for all kinds of reasons. They're the mean lady that sprays bike-riding local kids (lily-white ones!) with their garden hose for riding on "her" sidewalk. They're the ones that complain to police about kids walking home from school cutting across her lawn. They're the one that freaks out when they see a young long-haired white kid IN UNIFORM collecting buggies at the grocery store parking lot  -- "Officer, I think he was looking in people's cars!"

Nine times out of ten ... yes, gripping fear of the "other" is present as well. Probably more than "present" ... probably better to say "underlying". I don't know what it's called clinically ... but there is something not right in those minds. Is paranoia an actual diagnosis or more a symptom of recognized disorders?
"Republican." Unless it's vaccine related.  Then... Democrat?  Green Party?  It's all too complicated for me.

You're right, it's often crazy people.

pantherclub said:
B) why the eff is that even a story?
I kinda agree here, and I can answer the question -- because there was a video made of the incident. And because of the caller's behavior once the cops were on the scene.

Say the man inspecting the house looked kind of like drummer Tommy Lee. Long crazy hair, all tatted up. I think this same caller, with her fear of "other" raised, would still have called the police. Others think "No way she calls the police on a Tommy Lee or Vanilla Ice looking white guy". I guess there's no way to prove it one way or the other. I've just run across a lot of busy-bodies like this in my life -- and while, yes, they're typically racist ... they are also (primarily?) other-ist. Very quick to conclude that someone is "different somehow" and doesn't belong. That's not an excuse for racism ... just making the point that fair skin won't get someone off the hook with these kinds of people if they think you stand out in some other way (youth, hair, clothes, etc.).

Ramblin Wreck is correct if he is saying this story has much longer legs were the naked man African-American, though. It would play very differently to the public.
I agree with that but I'm saying the guy was clearly unarmed so they should be able to apprehend him without shooting him.  Feels like unnecessary brutality whether the guy is white or black but yes if he were black people would be going crazy over it.

I agree with that but I'm saying the guy was clearly unarmed so they should be able to apprehend him without shooting him.  Feels like unnecessary brutality whether the guy is white or black but yes if he were black people would be going crazy over it.
If it's 1-on-1 and the other guy is in PCP/LSD heaven, a taser won't stop him, and he keeps coming, I have no issue with the police shooting someone whether he's clothed, naked, armed, or unarmed, whatever his or her race.

Squiston must not be nearly as big a troll as you guys claim. If this was my thread I would have changed the title to "Upper-Middle Class Suburban White Guys Reassure Each Other That Racism is No Big Deal" a long time ago and then sat back and watched it burn.

If it's 1-on-1 and the other guy is in PCP/LSD heaven, a taser won't stop him, and he keeps coming, I have no issue with the police shooting someone whether he's clothed, naked, armed, or unarmed, whatever his or her race.
It shouldn't be one on one.  Stop traffic and call for backup.  But otherwise, I agree with you.

So, now we can all talk about our inherent biases and why we all figured the naked guy running across the freeway was white.  Anyone want to start?

It shouldn't be one on one.  Stop traffic and call for backup.  But otherwise, I agree with you.
One cop car isn't stopping I-95 in one direction, much less both directions.  But yes, we need better funding for police departments so officers aren't out in a car alone whenever possible.

I'm actually really, legitimately interested in why we all assumed the guy was white.  I think I did because of the sarcastic post by Ramblin Wreck introducing him, but I can't say that for certain.  If I'm honest, the picture in my mind of a naked guy running across the freeway hopped up on something and then getting tazed by a cop is pretty universally white.  

I'm actually really, legitimately interested in why we all assumed the guy was white.  I think I did because of the sarcastic post by Ramblin Wreck introducing him, but I can't say that for certain.  If I'm honest, the picture in my mind of a naked guy running across the freeway hopped up on something and then getting tazed by a cop is pretty universally white.  
I did because the guy looked white where I first saw the story   :bag:  

I assumed he was white, but it was because I heard he was on PCP.  I always chalk that up to a white person's drug, not sure why though.

Squiston must not be nearly as big a troll as you guys claim. If this was my thread I would have changed the title to "Upper-Middle Class Suburban White Guys Reassure Each Other That Racism is No Big Deal" a long time ago and then sat back and watched it burn.
Complete and total love for this idea. squistion you should do this. 

That guy could be a member of the Roots.  Hell, he could have played Kunta Kinte in Roots

Now, I disagree with this statement in this instance, but...

since we're dealing with a black guy (again) can you start to understand why people think this is police brutality?  Since, while you thought he was white, you did?  And presumably still do?

squistion said:
Yes, it was in a thread which is entitled "racial profiling" which is why this was a story.
Upon reading the article I considered the woman's actions and comments racist. I could be mistaken. She could just be "that" lady that calls for umpteen numbers of stupid/little/timewasting reasons.

pantherclub said:
Then I guess you didnt read the article. 
I'm wondering if you did?

I agree, my first and mostly ingrained thought was that it was a white individual running around naked on a highway. The article didn't elaborate on the race of the individual. 

After reading your link identifying the victim I'm wondering what happened to get him into the position of being naked on a highway and getting himself killed.

Upon reading the article I considered the woman's actions and comments racist. I could be mistaken. She could just be "that" lady that calls for umpteen numbers of stupid/little/timewasting reasons.

I'm wondering if you did?

I agree, my first and mostly ingrained thought was that it was a white individual running around naked on a highway. The article didn't elaborate on the race of the individual. 

After reading your link identifying the victim I'm wondering what happened to get him into the position of being naked on a highway and getting himself killed.
NSFW language

Now, I disagree with this statement in this instance, but...

since we're dealing with a black guy (again) can you start to understand why people think this is police brutality?  Since, while you thought he was white, you did?  And presumably still do?
Yes, said it was brutality and unnecessary from the beginning.  Regardless of whether he was black or white.

Yes, said it was brutality and unnecessary from the beginning.  Regardless of whether he was black or white.
Right, but... where's the white population this is happening to? I mean, you ran in to give us the example of the guy you thought was white and even he wasn't.  It's happening at what at least appears to be a much higher rate with black citizens.  At some point.... doesn't it start to at least be a legitimate concern?

Users who are viewing this thread