Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
squistion

Starbucks and related racial profiling & discrimination discussions

2 minutes ago, squistion said:

if anyone has a right to police a thread, it should be the OP (or at least Hell Toupee seems to think so in his threads and I have never seen you object to that).

I started this thread and the discussion to date has had nothing to do with Kaepernick. Why does this deserve to be discussed here?

You literally have "and related discrimination discussions" in the title.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, squistion said:

if anyone has a right to police a thread, it should be the OP (or at least Hell Toupee seems to think so in his threads and I have never seen you object to that).

I started this thread and the discussion to date has had nothing to do with Kaepernick. Why does this deserve to be discussed here?

I think the moderators are the ones with the rights to police a thread.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tonydead said:

You literally have "and related discrimination discussions" in the title.

Yes, but this thread to date has been about Starbucks and similar incidents of people who have been racially profiling blacks and calling the police (like the woman in Oakland over black people BBQing in a public park) and it has just been about those type of related discussions. Kaepernick is in a separate category IMO and that is probably the reason that no one has ever discussed him or his situation in this thread until today. I just don't see how what Shaun King says what some NFL players told him about boycotting NFL games belongs here.

If you people want to make this another Kaepernick thread I can change the title and we can also discuss his situation here, but I doubt that would be well received.

Edited by squistion

12 minutes ago, squistion said:

Yes, but this thread to date has been about Starbucks and similar incidents of people who have been racially profiling blacks and calling the police (like the woman in Oakland over black people BBQing in a public park) and it has just been about those type of related discussions. Kaepernick is in a separate category IMO and that is probably the reason that no one has ever discussed him or his situation in this thread until today. I just don't see how what Shaun King says what some NFL players told him about boycotting NFL games belongs here.

If you people want to make this another Kaepernick thread I can change the title and we also discuss his situation here, but I doubt that would be well received.

You people?   Hypocrisy is strong in this one. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, squistion said:

the point of my post was not to discuss kaepernick. it was to show somebody else's perspective on shaun king. You know the person that tweeted the airbnb incident which was discussed in this thread. Florio also stated he was considering training out for the olympics to point out what a silly threshold "considering" can be. He also said flat out "I am not buying it"

You do bring up a good point. I should post this in other threads too.

On 4/14/2018 at 9:55 AM, squistion said:

Later reports are these are two real estate brokers who were waiting for a friend and were arrested for trespassing. They were subsequently released some hours later. We need more details on this but the information we have so far suggest the arrests were racially motivated.

https://thegrio.com/2018/04/14/video-of-two-black-men-being-arrested-for-sitting-at-starbucks-sparks-outrage/

Video of two Black men being arrested for sitting at Starbucks sparks calls for boycott

Starbucks has some explaining to do after video surfaced on social media showing Philadelphia police officers arresting two Black men.

According to social media accounts the two men were waiting in the Starbucks for a friend when a barista called the cops.

“What did they do,” one man can be heard saying in a video captured by Melissa DePino.

“They didn’t do anything, I saw the entire thing,” another person said.

Just as the friend of the two men arrived, the men were put in handcuffs and arrested by police.

Police have not said why they were arrested.

In the video (at above link) confused white patrons appear to wonder why this type of thing never happens to them when they are in Starbucks. [...]

Starbucks posted a message on social media in response:

According to CBS Philly, the Philadelphia Police Department says an internal investigation is underway following the arrest on thursday.

Just an FYI...

The article you linked in the OP quotes shaun king. 

Fair to discuss him now thread policeman?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Just an FYI...

The article you linked in the OP quotes shaun king. 

Fair to discuss him now thread policeman?

Not about Kaepernick, no.

1 hour ago, squistion said:

Only by you and Donkey Derp according to a thread search. King may have talked or tweeted about the Starbucks matter, but no one quoted him here. And what NFL players may or may not have told him regarding sitting out for Kaepernick is not relevant to this thread about Starbucks, and related racism/profiling discussion.

I get that you want to trash King as every opportunity, but it should at least have some connection to the subject matter of a thread.

And of course the article in the OP. :lmao: 

2 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Who is talking about Kaepernick? 

You.

2 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

Mike florio on the radio right now talking about players sitting out for Colin

He said maybe shaun king floated the question to them and they didnt vehemently deny it so he ran with saying they were considering it.

Sounds like he knows shaun king pretty well!

I damn well will discuss Kaepernick in this thread if I want to.  And Squistion can't do a damn thing about it.  Here's an article about Kaepernick and racial profiling.  And the subject of the thread is " and related racial profiling/discrimination discussions"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/01/nfl-racial-profiling-colin-kaepernick

100% of black NFL players surveyed have experience of racial profiling

A son who saw a police officer hold a gun to his father’s head. A husband whose wife was pulled over driving a Bentley. These unsettling scenes are among the stories from some of the NFL’s marquee players, multimillionaires sharing tales of racial profiling by law enforcement. It is a troubling concern for people of color that has been at the center of the protests begun in August 2016 by former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Details on the Starbucks training sessions:

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/business/Starbucks-Training-a-First-Step-Experts-Say-in-Facing-Bias-483868841.html

Starbucks Training a First Step in Confronting Bias: Experts

A video previewing the training says it will include recorded remarks from Starbucks executives as well as rapper and activist Common

Starbucks, trying to put to rest an outcry over the arrest of two black men at one of its stores, is closing more than 8,000 stores for an afternoon of anti-bias training, a strategy some believe can keep racism at bay.

[...]

According to a video previewing the Starbucks training, there will be recorded remarks from Starbucks executives and rapper/activist Common. From there, employees will "move into a real and honest exploration of bias" where, in small groups, they can share how the issue comes up in their daily work life.

Starbucks has described it as a "collaborative and engaging experience for store partners to learn together." 

Developed with feedback from the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, the Perception Institute and other social advocacy groups, Tuesday's four-hour session will give workers a primer on the history of civil rights from the 1960s to present day. Workers will also view a short documentary film.

[...]

35 minutes ago, squistion said:

Details on the Starbucks training sessions:

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/business/Starbucks-Training-a-First-Step-Experts-Say-in-Facing-Bias-483868841.html

A video previewing the training says it will include recorded remarks from Starbucks executives as well as rapper and activist Common

Starbucks, trying to put to rest an outcry over the arrest of two black men at one of its stores, is closing more than 8,000 stores for an afternoon of anti-bias training, a strategy some believe can keep racism at bay.

[...]

According to a video previewing the Starbucks training, there will be recorded remarks from Starbucks executives and rapper/activist Common. From there, employees will "move into a real and honest exploration of bias" where, in small groups, they can share how the issue comes up in their daily work life.

Starbucks has described it as a "collaborative and engaging experience for store partners to learn together." 

Developed with feedback from the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, the Perception Institute and other social advocacy groups, Tuesday's four-hour session will give workers a primer on the history of civil rights from the 1960s to present day. Workers will also view a short documentary film.

[...]

Thats totally going to work, congrats squistion we are moving forward

2 hours ago, squistion said:

Wrong thread. 

Granted it's not nearly as impressive as spending all day every day defending a crazy Starbucks manager, or the 32 billionaire NFL owners who haven't signed Colin Kaepernick. But there's only room for so many heroes in this world.

squistion likes this 

:lmao::lmao: Took a screen shot just in case you try and go back and delete. https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/765819-starbucks-and-related-racial-profilingdiscrimination-discussions/?do=findComment&comment=20998813

But that doesn't matter because my post was clearly for the purposes of criticizing shaun king. You know the guy I mentioned twice in my post. 

PS... You should quit while you are behind. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

Thats totally going to work, congrats squistion we are moving forward

As noted in the article headline:

Starbucks is not claiming that this day of training is, by itself, going to change things. Just the first step.

This week at my job (Work for Albertson/ACME) our department managers and managers walked around with a 1 page paper about not discriminating against anyone and we had to sign it. It was all do to the Starbucks incident. At first when my boss came over I thought I had done something wrong. Thankfully it wasn't 

2 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

This week at my job (Work for Albertson/ACME) our department managers and managers walked around with a 1 page paper about not discriminating against anyone and we had to sign it. It was all do to the Starbucks incident. At first when my boss came over I thought I had done something wrong. Thankfully it wasn't 

This is a great step forward

18 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

Odd.  Was it a liability thing?

1 hour ago, jonessed said:

Odd.  Was it a liability thing?

I know out west that lots of Albertsons have starbucks kiosks in them serving the full menu. Probably has something to do with it. 

https://www.theroot.com/permitpatty-white-woman-calls-police-on-8-year-old-gi-1827075905

#PermitPatty: White Woman Calls Police on 8-Year-Old Black Girl Selling Water

In today’s “Hold My Beer” news, it looks as though there’s a new white woman who wants to dethrone #BBQBecky in the “Calling Police on Black People For No Damn Reason” award. But this time, the unidentified white woman didn’t call the police on an adult, but an 8-year-old girl.

In the video, posted by “Ladyesowavy” on Instagram, a white woman in San Francisco called the police on the woman’s daughter for selling bottles of water in front of their apartment building.

(video at link)

“This woman don’t want a little girl to sell some water, she’s calling the police on an 8-year-old girl,” the woman says.

The white woman attempted to hide behind a stoop, thankfully, for America she was followed.

“Don’t hide, the whole world gonna see you boo.”

“Illegally selling water without a permit?” the white woman said.

“On my property,” the mother stated.

“It’s not your property,” the white woman replied.

Although the video was only a few seconds long, you have to wonder what type of woman actually calls the police on a little kid? Well, now we don’t have to wonder.

The Beckydom knows no bounds.

Kashana‏Verified account @kashanacauley 3h3 hours ago

“Hello, 911? There’s a black woman running for office.”

https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/1014546642656165889

A black Oregon state representative, who was out canvassing and checking in on her community had the cops called on her by one of her constituents:

https://www.theroot.com/campaigningwhileblack-someone-called-the-cops-on-an-o-1827342703?utm_medium=socialflow&utm_source=theroot_twitter

A black Oregon state representative, who was out canvassing and checking in on her community had the cops called on her by one of her constituents:

https://www.theroot.com/campaigningwhileblack-someone-called-the-cops-on-an-o-1827342703?utm_medium=socialflow&utm_source=theroot_twitter

So, can I count on your vote?

Someone called the cops on my wife once because she was sitting in her car too long talking to her friend

2 hours ago, IMAX 3D said:

Someone called the cops on my wife once because she was sitting in her car too long talking to her friend

I bet the person who called the cops was white.

3 minutes ago, Shula-holic said:

I bet the person who called the cops was white.

Probably, which goes to show you nosy white people will call the cops on you for suspicious activity regardless of race

• Like 1

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/black-woman-says-cvs-manager-called-police-because-she-had-wrong-coupon/

Black woman says CVS manager called police because she had wrong coupon

Camilla Hudson wanted to use a manufacturer’s coupon at CVS on North Broadway on Friday night, but a manager who said he’d never seen a coupon like that called the police, she said in a Facebook post.

“So, THIS just happened: I had the police called on me for attempting to use a coupon @ the CVS Pharmacy located at 6150 N. Broadway in Chicago!” Hudson said in her widely shared Facebook post. 

In the video, the manager, identified as Morry Matson, is seen shaking as he speaks with police on the phone. While describing Hudson to police, he calls her African-American to which she responds “I’m black. Black isn’t a bad word.”

Matson is running for 48th Ward alderman. One of his campaign promises is “increased police presence throughout Alderman Matson’s 48th Ward.” According to his aldermanic campaign website, he was a state delegate for President Donald Trump in the 2016 election and is president of the Log Cabin Republicans of Illinois, a group advocating for LGBTQ conservatives.

Hudson said in her post that there were three officers who showed up in response to Matson’s call, and she spoke with them before leaving the store. Chicago Police could not immediately respond to confirm.

“We sincerely apologize to Ms. Hudson for her experience in one of our stores. Our Region Director in Chicago contacted Ms. Hudson as soon as we were made aware of this incident. CVS has begun an investigation and we will take any corrective action that is warranted to prevent it from happening again,” CVS spokesperson Mike DeAngelis said in a statement. “CVS Pharmacy does not tolerate any practices that discriminate against any customer and we are committed to maintaining a welcoming and diverse environment in our stores. We have firm non-discrimination policies in place to help ensure that all customers are treated with respect and dignity. Profiling or any other type of discriminatory behavior is strictly prohibited.”

Hudson said in a Facebook message that CVS regional director Joe Haas ‘‘apologized profusely’’ after the incident. She later wrote that Facebook had taken down the original viral post because it violated a policy, but she-reposted the video. (video at link)

2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Florida police chef ordered officers to pin unsolved crimes on random black people

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/396720-florida-police-chief-told-officers-to-pin-unsolved-crimes-on-random-black

If I ask you to think of a card, and then I randomly pull one from the deck, it will be a great trick one out of 52 times.

I don’t know how many people live in that precinct, but maybe it’s the same principle. Every once in a while, it’s like, “Holy cow, how did you know????”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, squistion said:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/black-woman-says-cvs-manager-called-police-because-she-had-wrong-coupon/

Black woman says CVS manager called police because she had wrong coupon

Camilla Hudson wanted to use a manufacturer’s coupon at CVS on North Broadway on Friday night, but a manager who said he’d never seen a coupon like that called the police, she said in a Facebook post.

“So, THIS just happened: I had the police called on me for attempting to use a coupon @ the CVS Pharmacy located at 6150 N. Broadway in Chicago!” Hudson said in her widely shared Facebook post. 

In the video, the manager, identified as Morry Matson, is seen shaking as he speaks with police on the phone. While describing Hudson to police, he calls her African-American to which she responds “I’m black. Black isn’t a bad word.”

Matson is running for 48th Ward alderman. One of his campaign promises is “increased police presence throughout Alderman Matson’s 48th Ward.” According to his aldermanic campaign website, he was a state delegate for President Donald Trump in the 2016 election and is president of the Log Cabin Republicans of Illinois, a group advocating for LGBTQ conservatives.

Hudson said in her post that there were three officers who showed up in response to Matson’s call, and she spoke with them before leaving the store. Chicago Police could not immediately respond to confirm.

“We sincerely apologize to Ms. Hudson for her experience in one of our stores. Our Region Director in Chicago contacted Ms. Hudson as soon as we were made aware of this incident. CVS has begun an investigation and we will take any corrective action that is warranted to prevent it from happening again,” CVS spokesperson Mike DeAngelis said in a statement. “CVS Pharmacy does not tolerate any practices that discriminate against any customer and we are committed to maintaining a welcoming and diverse environment in our stores. We have firm non-discrimination policies in place to help ensure that all customers are treated with respect and dignity. Profiling or any other type of discriminatory behavior is strictly prohibited.”

Hudson said in a Facebook message that CVS regional director Joe Haas ‘‘apologized profusely’’ after the incident. She later wrote that Facebook had taken down the original viral post because it violated a policy, but she-reposted the video. (video at link)

That guy was really shaking. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

That guy was really shaking. 

Camilla Hudson, who Matson called 911 on for Couponing While Black, had this to say about his shaking on her Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/1574824899/posts/10215005909092569/

Camilla Hudson

· 17 hrs ·

I probably should have posted this earlier - Morry Matson was not shaking and not having tremors of any kind when he first started assisting me at the self-checkout register in the store. He also did not have any tremors when we moved over to a regular register for him to assist me with the sale. He had no tremors when he initially warned me of having called the police. The tremors began when he called the police for what he said was the second time - which is the 911 call I videotaped. Some have suggested that he’s acting - about that, I have no idea. But he was most definitely tremor-free for most of the time I was in the store and did not start shaking until that phone call. I hope that provides some clarification.

7 minutes ago, squistion said:

Camilla Hudson, who Matson called 911 on for Couponing While Black, had this to say about his shaking on her Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/1574824899/posts/10215005909092569/

Camilla Hudson

· 17 hrs ·

I probably should have posted this earlier - Morry Matson was not shaking and not having tremors of any kind when he first started assisting me at the self-checkout register in the store. He also did not have any tremors when we moved over to a regular register for him to assist me with the sale. He had no tremors when he initially warned me of having called the police. The tremors began when he called the police for what he said was the second time - which is the 911 call I videotaped. Some have suggested that he’s acting - about that, I have no idea. But he was most definitely tremor-free for most of the time I was in the store and did not start shaking until that phone call. I hope that provides some clarification.

It looked like it was adrenaline caused. 

No good deed goes unpunished.

https://www.pluralist.com/posts/1674-employees-call-cops-on-shoplifting-black-woman-turns-out-she-was-giving-food-to-the-homeless/partners/43874

Employees Call Cops on ‘Shoplifting’ Black Woman. Turns Out She Was Giving Food to the Homeless.

"Racism still exists."

Safeway employees in Mountain View, California called the police on an African-American woman who was giving food to the homeless under the mistaken belief she was shoplifting, reported CBS affiliate KPIX on Monday.

Erika Martin, a woman who regularly feeds the homeless, decided that she was going to give a homeless man food for his dog that day. That's when the police showed up.

“The police just blocks me in. I’m like, ‘what’s going on?’” said Martin to KPIX.

The police informed her that employees of Safeway called them with an allegation of theft. 

Martin never left her car, let alone enter the Safeway. Her son was going into the deli to see if they were giving out cookie samples. The police presence frightened him.

“He was like crying because he thought they were there to arrest him,” said Martin.

“Racism still exists,” said Martin. “I blame the Safeway employees and for them to do something like that to me is just hurtful and shameful. I am not going back to that Safeway ever.”

The store manager apologized and said that corporate would call Martin to deliver their own apology. However, the call still hasn't come, Martin said.