What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help - question about taxes on a trust property sale (1 Viewer)

The Ref

Footballguy
In before the "you should definitely ask a football message board and not a tax professional"

Long story short My Mother In Law has one "real" asset left in her name.  There is a building near Boston that is in a trust and she owns 70% of said trust.  She and the business partner have agreed to sell the building.  The building was put into the trust with a value of $250k.  They are going to sell the building after all broker fees for $750k.

so now my question is who and how are the taxes paid on the $500k capital gain?

I ask because if it's a revocable trust, I believe the tax liability goes to the person(s) who provided the property to the trust.  If it's irrevocable then I believe the tax liability stays with the trust.  

I ask because if it's a revocable trust, I believe the tax liability goes to the person(s) who provided the property to the trust.  If it's irrevocable then I believe the tax liability stays with the trust.  
I believe it's a irrevocable trust.  

If thats the case the trust ships off ~$100K to Uncle Sam and my MIL gets 70% of $400k?  No tax liability on her part?

i have limited experience, but trusts don't have ownership, do they?  for revocable, the asset gets deeded to the trust, so maybe you mean the asset is owned 70/30?  the grantor is tax liable if alive based on today's value.  if dead, bennies would be liable i think.

The Ref said:
I believe it's a irrevocable trust.  

If thats the case the trust ships off ~$100K to Uncle Sam and my MIL gets 70% of $400k?  No tax liability on her part?
Irrevocable trusts are separate entities.  So the proceeds from the sale go to the trust and the trust has to pay the taxes.  So in this case the trust gets more cash after liquidating an asset.  To get a distribution the trust will issue a K-1 form.  She will be required to pay taxes on the income but not the principle.  So I think she pays taxes on her portion of $500K.  

Irrevocable trusts are separate entities.  So the proceeds from the sale go to the trust and the trust has to pay the taxes.  So in this case the trust gets more cash after liquidating an asset.  To get a distribution the trust will issue a K-1 form.  She will be required to pay taxes on the income but not the principle.  So I think she pays taxes on her portion of $500K.  
So it's taxed twice?  The trust pays taxes and then she pays taxes on the distribution?

So it's taxed twice?  The trust pays taxes and then she pays taxes on the distribution?
The individuals are taxed once, but there are multiple taxes between sale and getting the dough in your hands, yes.  The trust's tax rate is pretty low though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The individuals are taxed once, but there are multiple taxes between sale and getting the dough in your hands, yes.  The trust's tax rate is pretty low though.
Ahh - that makes sense.  I found it a bit hard to believe that she would have to pay 30% within the trust and then another 30% personally.

Ahh - that makes sense.  I found it a bit hard to believe that she would have to pay 30% within the trust and then another 30% personally.
This is my recollection...full disclaimer ;)

Now, if they are liquidating the trust or something, that's probably a whole other can of worms, but if this is just a standard transaction in a trust and it's going to stay in tact, I think what I'm telling you is correct.  We have some tax gurus around here that might be able to shed more light on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread