Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Dan Lambskin

***OFFICIAL Air Fryer Thread***

Recommended Posts

Wife got an air fryer for her birthday

made some hash browns in it.  Not bad

probably do chicken wings next

anyone else have one? Any tips or must make recipes?  I know it probably won’t be quite as good as a deep dryer for deliciousness but we had one before and didn’t use it often and it was just a mess to deal with, but I’m hopeful that it’s an improvement in crispyness over oven baked French fries and tater tots and am wings and such

tl;dr wife got an air fryer that will probably sit in the basement next to my instant pot after I use it one more time

Edited by Dan Lambskin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assumed this was an update on that kid that won "Boy of the Year" like 15 years ago before leaving the board.

:kicksrock:

Edited by TLEF316
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

works decent for lots of things you would fry.  don't try to do cheesesticks in it.  by the time you get the crispiness you want, they have exploded everywhere and make a mess.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Id say we still use it 1-3 times a week.

Sweet potato fries are awesome and easily the thing we make the most.  :thumbup:

French fries are OK (better than baked, but not not as good as deep fried).

Wings are actually very good in it. They make for a messy cleanup though.

I like it also to re-heat certain things that arent good in a microwave.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one of those weird appliances I can't wrap my head around. 

If I'ma gonna fry, I'm whippin out my deep dryer in the front driveway with the propane roaring and a cold beer in my hand. That thing attracts supermodels and milfs. If I show up with an air fryer in my driveway I'll attract fat soccer moms in minivans, who will then post that sheeeeeit on Facebook so their other socio-fat-mom-breed can ooh and ahh over my superhomoness.

No thanks.

Edited by ChiefD
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

This is one of those weird appliances I can't wrap my head around. 

If I'ma gonna fry, I'm whippin out my deep dryer in the front driveway with the propane roaring and a cold beer in my hand. That thing attracts supermodels and milfs. If I show up with an air fryer in my driveway I'll attract fat soccer moms in minivans, who will then post that sheeeeeit on Facebook so their other socio-fat-mom-breed can ooh and ahh over my superhomoness.

No thanks.

Go on...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steaks are incredible in these with good dry seasoning.  If you like it medium/medium well.  It cooks it perfect.  Not red inside and doesn't turn to leather, stays juicy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChiefD said:

This is one of those weird appliances I can't wrap my head around. 

If I'ma gonna fry, I'm whippin out my deep dryer in the front driveway with the propane roaring and a cold beer in my hand. That thing attracts supermodels and milfs. If I show up with an air fryer in my driveway I'll attract fat soccer moms in minivans, who will then post that sheeeeeit on Facebook so their other socio-fat-mom-breed can ooh and ahh over my superhomoness.

No thanks.

Air fryers are used inside, so the fat soccer mom's need to be in house.

Edited by IC FBGCav
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IC FBGCav said:

Air fryers and used inside, so the fat soccer mom's need to be in house.

yep- nothing a little white lie and some powdered sugar can't take care of

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TLEF316 said:

I assumed this was an update on that kid that won "Boy of the Year" like 15 years ago before leaving the board.

:kicksrock:

That kid is probably around 30 now.  :mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got one of these. Can't believe didn't get one sooner. Made Garlic Parm and Buffalo Wings. Couldn't be happier cutting the prep time by about 1/4. Turned out nice and crispy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got one mostly for fires--make them from fresh potatoes and they're no worse calorie-wise than eating a dry baked potato, and much more enjoyable. Liked it so much, we got a second one.  Wings in one and fries in the other.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just took the air fryer plunge myself recently. I bought this Cuisinart combo air fryer/convection/toaster oven thing because I needed a new toaster and I try to avoid single use kitchen appliances. It has generally really good reviews but I gotta say I am disappointed by the air fryer function. Nothing about the results really reminds me of "fried" food; it's more like a super fast broiling/baking process. Makes me wonder if it's just the toaster oven design of this unit, or if this is what you can expect from air fryers generally, or if I'm just doing it wrong. On the one hand it's great to speed up the cooking time a little bit, and to have a second oven so I can do more things at once. On the other, it was a little spendy and I only bought it because my expectations were high -- and ultimately the results thus far aren't anything I couldn't duplicate in my oven.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this some kind of Cuba Gooding schtick? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any recommendations for an air fryer?  Looking for one big enough for a family of 4 and will mostly cook fries, wings - things like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don’t use ours a lot, and it doesn’t really hold that much food 

I’d  reccomend getting one where the basket pulls out from the bottom rather than the top flipping up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Gianni Verscotchie said:

I bought this one. It's one of the biggest. Happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0777RJG6D/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks - this helps.  This is one of those products where I've read a general review on air fryers and some articles say they do a good job and some say they do a terrible job.  The same goes for reviews on specific models. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 7:35 PM, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

That kid is probably around 30 now.  :mellow:

They grow up so fast these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2019 at 8:24 AM, Briman said:

Any recommendations for an air fryer?  Looking for one big enough for a family of 4 and will mostly cook fries, wings - things like that.

I have this Phillips model. My reviews are mixed. It takes up way too much counter space and yet the cooking basket is too small. It would not cook enough fries/wings at one time for 4 people. Id say 2 adults, max. Cleanup is still a pretty big PITA, but much easier than dealing with grease and a deep fryer. At this point, I really only use it for 4 things. Wings, french fries, sweet potato fries and nacho chips (made from real tortillas). Despite all the negative things I said, it does a fantastic job on these 4 things. In hindsight, maybe these are things you're just better off ordering out than trying to make at home. Kinda like sushi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife got one for Christmas.  I was very skeptical, especially due to the counter space it takes up.  However, after trying a bunch of things, I am sold as a great alternative to frying in oil.  So far we have made fries, wings, chicken fingers, pierogis, wontons, poppers, and even an egg breakfast sandwich, all of which came out better than I expected. 

Pros - Cuts cooking time down, easier to clean and healthier and than oil, can set and forget (every once in a while there is a need to flip/shake), re-heat feature which can give a nice crisp to leftover fried stuff.

Cons - Counter space, most likely have to cook in batches due to space

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Yambag said:

Wife got one for Christmas.  I was very skeptical, especially due to the counter space it takes up.  However, after trying a bunch of things, I am sold as a great alternative to frying in oil.  So far we have made fries, wings, chicken fingers, pierogis, wontons, poppers, and even an egg breakfast sandwich, all of which came out better than I expected. 

Pros - Cuts cooking time down, easier to clean and healthier and than oil, can set and forget (every once in a while there is a need to flip/shake), re-heat feature which can give a nice crisp to leftover fried stuff.

Cons - Counter space, most likely have to cook in batches due to space

What fryer is it?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 7:29 PM, IC FBGCav said:

Steaks are incredible in these with good dry seasoning.  If you like it medium/medium well.  It cooks it perfect.  Not red inside and doesn't turn to leather, stays juicy.

I throw some McCormick steak seasoning on a ribeye and toss it in. Comes out nicely and so much better cleaning up afterwards than the broiler.

Always important to remember spacing and allowing for air flow. Have to shake up the bin if you dump a lot of things in there halfway thru.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the power xl and do like it a lot. There is a small learning curve to cooking with it, so just pay attention first few times so you can learn your preferences. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Big Guy said:

I have the power xl and do like it a lot. There is a small learning curve to cooking with it, so just pay attention first few times so you can learn your preferences. 

Ditto, although I'm disappointed in the "nonstick" surface of the container that holds the basket. It seems to be discoloring/losing its coating. The food doesn't come into contact with it becuase of the basket, so I don't see it as a health hazard, but it suggests the quality isn't as good as I would expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:blackdot:

 

The MIL somehow acquired an "extra" and will be bringing it with her on her trip out here next month.  

Looking forward to seeing how it does fries (my son's #1 food right now :eyeroll: ) and now I'm intrigued about what it'll do for chicken wings.  I never eat those at home.  Now, maybe I will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

:blackdot:

 

The MIL somehow acquired an "extra" and will be bringing it with her on her trip out here next month.  

Looking forward to seeing how it does fries (my son's #1 food right now :eyeroll: ) and now I'm intrigued about what it'll do for chicken wings.  I never eat those at home.  Now, maybe I will.

Try the nachos too. Lightly brush both sides of a 4 yellow corn tortillas with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, cut in quarters, and put em in for 8 minutes or so. They're fantastic nice and warm and fresh out of the fryer. I've been eating them with a bowl of chilis copycat salsa recipe. :thumbup:

Edited by E-Z Glider
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, bryhamm said:

please tell me you guys talking about doing steaks are just fishing.

Not at all. How would you prefer I make one for myself? Not feeling the need to clean the broiler for one little rib eye and certainly not firing up the bbq, standing outside in the rain or snow in my boxers, to make it that way. 

Is it blasphemy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No love on this forum for the air fryer? 

I love mine, but after multiple mishaps, it's death recently arrived. In looking to replace it, I came across this:

https://www.cosori.com/shop/cosori-original-air-fryer-toaster-oven

Curious to see how all the features on this thing actually work.

I receive tomorrow and will be testing on Saturday with my fam as we root for 49ers. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're looking for something to pop into your air fryer that turns out awesome, I recommend Mac n' Cheese Bites

Turn out great.  Perfect snack.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2019 at 10:29 AM, Gianni Verscotchie said:

I bought this one. It's one of the biggest. Happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0777RJG6D/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wife got me the same one for Christmas.  I've only used it to make some frozen fries and grilled cheese sticks so far - definitely better than microwave and/or toaster oven.  Faster too.

Next thing I want to try is wings.  I got some racks from Amazon to allow me to do different things on different levels.  Still feel a bit space-constrained when it comes to trying to fix a full meal in one, but for lunch/apps, it seems like a winner.

I'm just worried about figuring out cook times...You can't easily see in, so I'm worried I'll burn the heck out of things and not know until it's too late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I grabbed this Cuisinart TOA-60 on the low low from Target ($179.99, price matched amazon to $149.99 with a $75 gift card, so $75 net). 

Have made a few things in it so far: 
- Broiled asparagus: Fantasic
- Air Fried Bone in Chicken Thighs - Fantastic
- Air Fried Potato Wedges - Fantastic
- Air Fried 2" thick NY Strip Steaks w/ Dry Rub - Surprisingly good! Nice crust, good even Med-Rare. (14 mins air fry @ 450, 6 mins Convection bake @ 450). 
- Toasting Garlic Bread - Fantasic
- Reheating 2-day old dry fridge pizza by air-frying - Fantastic!

I love the versatility of the unit.. toaster, oven, air-fryer. I'd agree the results aren't quite deep fryer level but are better than my non-convection oven. I also love the added cooking space/function when prepping dinner.  I think the pull out tray is way better than the bucket style. Great capacity. Easy to clean. Versatile array of pans and baskets. Looks nice on the counter as well. 

For $75 I think it was a fantastic buy. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, [icon] said:

I grabbed this Cuisinart TOA-60 on the low low from Target ($179.99, price matched amazon to $149.99 with a $75 gift card, so $75 net). 

Have made a few things in it so far: 
- Broiled asparagus: Fantasic
- Air Fried Bone in Chicken Thighs - Fantastic
- Air Fried Potato Wedges - Fantastic
- Air Fried 2" thick NY Strip Steaks w/ Dry Rub - Surprisingly good! Nice crust, good even Med-Rare. (14 mins air fry @ 450, 6 mins Convection bake @ 450). 
- Toasting Garlic Bread - Fantasic
- Reheating 2-day old dry fridge pizza by air-frying - Fantastic!

I love the versatility of the unit.. toaster, oven, air-fryer. I'd agree the results aren't quite deep fryer level but are better than my non-convection oven. I also love the added cooking space/function when prepping dinner.  I think the pull out tray is way better than the bucket style. Great capacity. Easy to clean. Versatile array of pans and baskets. Looks nice on the counter as well. 

For $75 I think it was a fantastic buy. 
 

Yeah I have the kind you have to lift the top lid, I think I’d much prefer the pullout, especially in my kitchen I have to have it at the very edge of the counter to be able to fully open the lid without hitting my top cupboards

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

gonna bump this forward.  just got a 5 qt.  any new tips or tricks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

gonna bump this forward.  just got a 5 qt.  any new tips or tricks?

Chicken wings. Hit with lemon pepper on both sides, 375 for 13 minutes, flip, 375 for another 12, then 400 for 5 minutes. Will be as crispy as any deep fryer. Sauce - 4 tables of butter melted, big pour of frank’s, few pours of Worcestershire, salt and garlic powder and some honey. Wisk it up and go to town. 
 

Oh hit them with some cooking spray first. Sometimes I add a tablespoon of baking powder to really get them crispy. 

Edited by Capella
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 9:40 AM, [icon] said:

I grabbed this Cuisinart TOA-60 on the low low from Target ($179.99, price matched amazon to $149.99 with a $75 gift card, so $75 net). 

Have made a few things in it so far: 
- Broiled asparagus: Fantasic
- Air Fried Bone in Chicken Thighs - Fantastic
- Air Fried Potato Wedges - Fantastic
- Air Fried 2" thick NY Strip Steaks w/ Dry Rub - Surprisingly good! Nice crust, good even Med-Rare. (14 mins air fry @ 450, 6 mins Convection bake @ 450). 
- Toasting Garlic Bread - Fantasic
- Reheating 2-day old dry fridge pizza by air-frying - Fantastic!

I love the versatility of the unit.. toaster, oven, air-fryer. I'd agree the results aren't quite deep fryer level but are better than my non-convection oven. I also love the added cooking space/function when prepping dinner.  I think the pull out tray is way better than the bucket style. Great capacity. Easy to clean. Versatile array of pans and baskets. Looks nice on the counter as well. 

For $75 I think it was a fantastic buy. 
 

Jesus that thing is huge. Looks pretty badass though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Capella said:

Chicken wings. Hit with lemon pepper on both sides, 375 for 13 minutes, flip, 375 for another 12, then 400 for 5 minutes. Will be as crispy as any deep fryer. Sauce - 4 tables of butter melted, big pour of frank’s, few pours of Worcestershire, salt and garlic powder and some honey. Wisk it up and go to town. 
 

Oh hit them with some cooking spray first. Sometimes I add a tablespoon of baking powder to really get them crispy. 

are the wings breaded or just AFd?

ive been dredging and coating with the AF.

Edited by Chemical X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

are the wings breaded or just AFd?

ive been dredging and coating with the AF.

I’ve never dredged them but I guess you could if you wanted

I do 400 for 23-25 mins and give them a shake every 5 mins or so.

Just like out of a fryer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RC94 said:

Mine has a basket like that one. 
The next one I buy will have racks so I can cook more wings etc at the same time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wingnut said:

Jesus that thing is huge. Looks pretty badass though.

It actually fits perfectly on my counter between the stove and the fridge. I still use it almost daily. LOVE it. amazing for reheating pizza, too.  

Really glad I didn't buy a bucket style one... would pretty severely limit functionality. Love that this works as a toaster, broiler, convection oven, as well as an air fryer. 

Highly recommend. 
 

 

Edited by [icon]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Mine has a basket like that one. 
The next one I buy will have racks so I can cook more wings etc at the same time

I had written it down after watching a show, so I can't be sure, but they will often have their favorite that's expensive and then a best buy option, which is the one I usually make a note of if there's a choice.  They probably have a more expensive favorite that's bigger and has more options like what you're looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RC94 said:

I had written it down after watching a show, so I can't be sure, but they will often have their favorite that's expensive and then a best buy option, which is the one I usually make a note of if there's a choice.  They probably have a more expensive favorite that's bigger and has more options like what you're looking for.

I didn’t mean there’s anything wrong with that model. I have one that has a basket like that one. I believe it’s 6 qt. 
 

The problem for me is that I can only get 8-9 wings in at a time. I could get way more if I stack them in there but they won’t crisp up.

Friend of mine has one with racks and cooks 2 dozen at a time

eta: one with racks like icon linked

Edited by Cowboysfan8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I had posted in this thread before today but I guess not.

I do boneless pork chops with egg and panko in my AF.

9 mins at 400. Nicely browned , crunchy and juicy

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Gourmia-GAF645-Digital-Stainless-Steel/dp/B07QB48JGQ

Not too pricey or big. I was skeptical how much use we would get out of it, but we use it frequently. I was never a wing fan but we make these frequently and they come out pretty good: 

https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/foster-farms-chicken-wings%2C-sweet-chipotle-bbq-style%2C-4-lbs.product.100368339.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got the wife one for mother's day.  we like it, a lot.  mostly home made fries, tenders, pizza, bagel bites, other kid stuff.  one of the biggest pluses, is that it doesn't heat the house up, like the oven would.  made some awesome fish nuggets, for fish tacos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.