What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Air Fryer Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Dan Lambskin

Footballguy
Wife got an air fryer for her birthday

made some hash browns in it.  Not bad

probably do chicken wings next

anyone else have one? Any tips or must make recipes?  I know it probably won’t be quite as good as a deep dryer for deliciousness but we had one before and didn’t use it often and it was just a mess to deal with, but I’m hopeful that it’s an improvement in crispyness over oven baked French fries and tater tots and am wings and such

tl;dr wife got an air fryer that will probably sit in the basement next to my instant pot after I use it one more time

Last edited by a moderator:
works decent for lots of things you would fry.  don't try to do cheesesticks in it.  by the time you get the crispiness you want, they have exploded everywhere and make a mess.

Id say we still use it 1-3 times a week.

Sweet potato fries are awesome and easily the thing we make the most.   :thumbup:

French fries are OK (better than baked, but not not as good as deep fried).

Wings are actually very good in it. They make for a messy cleanup though.

I like it also to re-heat certain things that arent good in a microwave.

This is one of those weird appliances I can't wrap my head around. 

If I'ma gonna fry, I'm whippin out my deep dryer in the front driveway with the propane roaring and a cold beer in my hand. That thing attracts supermodels and milfs. If I show up with an air fryer in my driveway I'll attract fat soccer moms in minivans, who will then post that sheeeeeit on Facebook so their other socio-fat-mom-breed can ooh and ahh over my superhomoness.

No thanks.

ChiefD said:

If I'ma gonna fry, I'm whippin out my deep dryer in the front driveway with the propane roaring and a cold beer in my hand. That thing attracts supermodels and milfs. If I show up with an air fryer in my driveway I'll attract fat soccer moms in minivans, who will then post that sheeeeeit on Facebook so their other socio-fat-mom-breed can ooh and ahh over my superhomoness.

No thanks.
Go on...

Steaks are incredible in these with good dry seasoning.  If you like it medium/medium well.  It cooks it perfect.  Not red inside and doesn't turn to leather, stays juicy.

ChiefD said:

No thanks.
Air fryers are used inside, so the fat soccer mom's need to be in house.

Finally got one of these. Can't believe didn't get one sooner. Made Garlic Parm and Buffalo Wings. Couldn't be happier cutting the prep time by about 1/4. Turned out nice and crispy.  

Got one mostly for fires--make them from fresh potatoes and they're no worse calorie-wise than eating a dry baked potato, and much more enjoyable. Liked it so much, we got a second one.  Wings in one and fries in the other.  

I just took the air fryer plunge myself recently. I bought this Cuisinart combo air fryer/convection/toaster oven thing because I needed a new toaster and I try to avoid single use kitchen appliances. It has generally really good reviews but I gotta say I am disappointed by the air fryer function. Nothing about the results really reminds me of "fried" food; it's more like a super fast broiling/baking process. Makes me wonder if it's just the toaster oven design of this unit, or if this is what you can expect from air fryers generally, or if I'm just doing it wrong. On the one hand it's great to speed up the cooking time a little bit, and to have a second oven so I can do more things at once. On the other, it was a little spendy and I only bought it because my expectations were high -- and ultimately the results thus far aren't anything I couldn't duplicate in my oven.

Any recommendations for an air fryer?  Looking for one big enough for a family of 4 and will mostly cook fries, wings - things like that.

We don’t use ours a lot, and it doesn’t really hold that much food 

I’d  reccomend getting one where the basket pulls out from the bottom rather than the top flipping up

Any recommendations for an air fryer?  Looking for one big enough for a family of 4 and will mostly cook fries, wings - things like that.
I have this Phillips model. My reviews are mixed. It takes up way too much counter space and yet the cooking basket is too small. It would not cook enough fries/wings at one time for 4 people. Id say 2 adults, max. Cleanup is still a pretty big PITA, but much easier than dealing with grease and a deep fryer. At this point, I really only use it for 4 things. Wings, french fries, sweet potato fries and nacho chips (made from real tortillas). Despite all the negative things I said, it does a fantastic job on these 4 things. In hindsight, maybe these are things you're just better off ordering out than trying to make at home. Kinda like sushi.

Wife got one for Christmas.  I was very skeptical, especially due to the counter space it takes up.  However, after trying a bunch of things, I am sold as a great alternative to frying in oil.  So far we have made fries, wings, chicken fingers, pierogis, wontons, poppers, and even an egg breakfast sandwich, all of which came out better than I expected. 

Pros - Cuts cooking time down, easier to clean and healthier and than oil, can set and forget (every once in a while there is a need to flip/shake), re-heat feature which can give a nice crisp to leftover fried stuff.

Cons - Counter space, most likely have to cook in batches due to space

Yambag said:
Wife got one for Christmas.  I was very skeptical, especially due to the counter space it takes up.  However, after trying a bunch of things, I am sold as a great alternative to frying in oil.  So far we have made fries, wings, chicken fingers, pierogis, wontons, poppers, and even an egg breakfast sandwich, all of which came out better than I expected. 

Pros - Cuts cooking time down, easier to clean and healthier and than oil, can set and forget (every once in a while there is a need to flip/shake), re-heat feature which can give a nice crisp to leftover fried stuff.

Cons - Counter space, most likely have to cook in batches due to space
What fryer is it?  

Steaks are incredible in these with good dry seasoning.  If you like it medium/medium well.  It cooks it perfect.  Not red inside and doesn't turn to leather, stays juicy.
I throw some McCormick steak seasoning on a ribeye and toss it in. Comes out nicely and so much better cleaning up afterwards than the broiler.

Always important to remember spacing and allowing for air flow. Have to shake up the bin if you dump a lot of things in there halfway thru.

I have the power xl and do like it a lot. There is a small learning curve to cooking with it, so just pay attention first few times so you can learn your preferences. 

I have the power xl and do like it a lot. There is a small learning curve to cooking with it, so just pay attention first few times so you can learn your preferences. 
Ditto, although I'm disappointed in the "nonstick" surface of the container that holds the basket. It seems to be discoloring/losing its coating. The food doesn't come into contact with it becuase of the basket, so I don't see it as a health hazard, but it suggests the quality isn't as good as I would expect.

:blackdot:

The MIL somehow acquired an "extra" and will be bringing it with her on her trip out here next month.  

Looking forward to seeing how it does fries (my son's #1 food right now :eyeroll: ) and now I'm intrigued about what it'll do for chicken wings.  I never eat those at home.  Now, maybe I will.

:blackdot:

The MIL somehow acquired an "extra" and will be bringing it with her on her trip out here next month.  

Looking forward to seeing how it does fries (my son's #1 food right now :eyeroll: ) and now I'm intrigued about what it'll do for chicken wings.  I never eat those at home.  Now, maybe I will.
Try the nachos too. Lightly brush both sides of a 4 yellow corn tortillas with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, cut in quarters, and put em in for 8 minutes or so. They're fantastic nice and warm and fresh out of the fryer. I've been eating them with a bowl of chilis copycat salsa recipe.  :thumbup:

please tell me you guys talking about doing steaks are just fishing.
Not at all. How would you prefer I make one for myself? Not feeling the need to clean the broiler for one little rib eye and certainly not firing up the bbq, standing outside in the rain or snow in my boxers, to make it that way. 

Is it blasphemy?

Wife got me the same one for Christmas.  I've only used it to make some frozen fries and grilled cheese sticks so far - definitely better than microwave and/or toaster oven.  Faster too.

Next thing I want to try is wings.  I got some racks from Amazon to allow me to do different things on different levels.  Still feel a bit space-constrained when it comes to trying to fix a full meal in one, but for lunch/apps, it seems like a winner.

I'm just worried about figuring out cook times...You can't easily see in, so I'm worried I'll burn the heck out of things and not know until it's too late.

I grabbed this Cuisinart TOA-60 on the low low from Target ($179.99, price matched amazon to $149.99 with a $75 gift card, so $75 net). 

Have made a few things in it so far: 
- Broiled asparagus: Fantasic
- Air Fried Bone in Chicken Thighs - Fantastic
- Air Fried Potato Wedges - Fantastic
- Air Fried 2" thick NY Strip Steaks w/ Dry Rub - Surprisingly good! Nice crust, good even Med-Rare. (14 mins air fry @ 450, 6 mins Convection bake @ 450). 
- Toasting Garlic Bread - Fantasic
- Reheating 2-day old dry fridge pizza by air-frying - Fantastic!

I love the versatility of the unit.. toaster, oven, air-fryer. I'd agree the results aren't quite deep fryer level but are better than my non-convection oven. I also love the added cooking space/function when prepping dinner.  I think the pull out tray is way better than the bucket style. Great capacity. Easy to clean. Versatile array of pans and baskets. Looks nice on the counter as well. 

For $75 I think it was a fantastic buy. 

I grabbed this Cuisinart TOA-60 on the low low from Target ($179.99, price matched amazon to $149.99 with a $75 gift card, so $75 net). 

- Air Fried 2" thick NY Strip Steaks w/ Dry Rub - Surprisingly good! Nice crust, good even Med-Rare. (14 mins air fry @ 450, 6 mins Convection bake @ 450). 

I love the versatility of the unit.. toaster, oven, air-fryer. I'd agree the results aren't quite deep fryer level but are better than my non-convection oven. I also love the added cooking space/function when prepping dinner.  I think the pull out tray is way better than the bucket style. Great capacity. Easy to clean. Versatile array of pans and baskets. Looks nice on the counter as well. 

Yeah I have the kind you have to lift the top lid, I think I’d much prefer the pullout, especially in my kitchen I have to have it at the very edge of the counter to be able to fully open the lid without hitting my top cupboards

gonna bump this forward.  just got a 5 qt.  any new tips or tricks?
Chicken wings. Hit with lemon pepper on both sides, 375 for 13 minutes, flip, 375 for another 12, then 400 for 5 minutes. Will be as crispy as any deep fryer. Sauce - 4 tables of butter melted, big pour of frank’s, few pours of Worcestershire, salt and garlic powder and some honey. Wisk it up and go to town. 

Oh hit them with some cooking spray first. Sometimes I add a tablespoon of baking powder to really get them crispy. 

Jesus that thing is huge. Looks pretty badass though.

Chicken wings. Hit with lemon pepper on both sides, 375 for 13 minutes, flip, 375 for another 12, then 400 for 5 minutes. Will be as crispy as any deep fryer. Sauce - 4 tables of butter melted, big pour of frank’s, few pours of Worcestershire, salt and garlic powder and some honey. Wisk it up and go to town. 

Oh hit them with some cooking spray first. Sometimes I add a tablespoon of baking powder to really get them crispy. 
are the wings breaded or just AFd?

ive been dredging and coating with the AF.

Jesus that thing is huge. Looks pretty badass though.
It actually fits perfectly on my counter between the stove and the fridge. I still use it almost daily. LOVE it. amazing for reheating pizza, too.  

Really glad I didn't buy a bucket style one... would pretty severely limit functionality. Love that this works as a toaster, broiler, convection oven, as well as an air fryer. 

Highly recommend. 

Mine has a basket like that one. 
The next one I buy will have racks so I can cook more wings etc at the same time
I had written it down after watching a show, so I can't be sure, but they will often have their favorite that's expensive and then a best buy option, which is the one I usually make a note of if there's a choice.  They probably have a more expensive favorite that's bigger and has more options like what you're looking for.

I had written it down after watching a show, so I can't be sure, but they will often have their favorite that's expensive and then a best buy option, which is the one I usually make a note of if there's a choice.  They probably have a more expensive favorite that's bigger and has more options like what you're looking for.
I didn’t mean there’s anything wrong with that model. I have one that has a basket like that one. I believe it’s 6 qt. 

The problem for me is that I can only get 8-9 wings in at a time. I could get way more if I stack them in there but they won’t crisp up.

Friend of mine has one with racks and cooks 2 dozen at a time

eta: one with racks like icon linked

got the wife one for mother's day.  we like it, a lot.  mostly home made fries, tenders, pizza, bagel bites, other kid stuff.  one of the biggest pluses, is that it doesn't heat the house up, like the oven would.  made some awesome fish nuggets, for fish tacos.

Users who are viewing this thread