Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Dan Lambskin

***OFFICIAL Air Fryer Thread***

Recommended Posts

frozen, dry sea scallops wrapped in bacon are decent after they have been cooked in the air fryer 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Tater Tots and chicken tenders come out perfect in the AF. It's really hard to tell that they were air fried and not deep fried. Great outer crunch on both. 

We also cook onion sausage and hot dogs in there. If you cook the hot dogs long enough they split open just like the grill. 

Edited by In The Zone
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Amazon'd an Air Fryer at the beginning of lock down and it was vital to the sanity of the whole family as we've tried just about everything in it.  One of the best finds, of all things, was the most amazing croutons I've ever had; discovered by accident.  When bread was non-existent in grocery stores, my wife grabbed some at CVS, which was awful.  Before tossing it, I Googled up Air Fryer Croutons and gave them a shot with the CVS bread and Penzy's Fox Point Seasoning.  All I do in cut them to size, toss them in Olive Oil & the seasoning and fry them between 3-5 (or a bit more) at 400 depending on the "doneness" desired.  I like them a little less brown, whereas my wife likes them a bit more crunchy.  With some Goggled up home made Caesar dressing, these added to incredible salmon Caesar salads (and a stand-alone snack too).  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i did pretty good making coconut shrimp, but i used an egg/flour/panko dredge.  still not sure if i need to dredge to fry other stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

i did pretty good making coconut shrimp, but i used an egg/flour/panko dredge.  still not sure if i need to dredge to fry other stuff.

You don’t for wings 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been making French fries from scratch lately.  So much better than frozen and so easy to make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Been making French fries from scratch lately.  So much better than frozen and so easy to make.

What's your process? You parboiling them, or anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ProstheticRGK said:

What's your process? You parboiling them, or anything?

For fries, we don't.  We just thin cut them (think McDonalds), soak them for a few hours in olive oil (light just to coat) and fry them at 350 for 13-15 minutes until close to done.  Then, 400 for 3-5 to add crispyness.  Salt with sea salt (or any type of season salt; lots of Penzy's options here).  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ProstheticRGK said:

What's your process? You parboiling them, or anything?

1.  Peel and cut 3 large russet potatoes into fries

2.  Boil them for 4 minutes 

3.  Soak them in cold water for 10 minutes 

4.  Dry them in a large bowl

5.  Season with 2 table spoons of olive oil and whatever else you prefer (my go to is fresh garlic and Parmesan cheese but you can do anything)

6.  Set in air fryer (in batches) for 25 minutes at 400 degrees flipping a couple times throughout; make sure to season with salt (and black pepper) throughout the cooking as well

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody have the emeril air fryer? From the infomercials? Has good reviews actually. I’ve been staring at it for a while now on amazon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still don't understand any benefit of the basket style air fryers over the flat tray style :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

1.  Peel and cut 3 large russet potatoes into fries

2.  Boil them for 4 minutes 

3.  Soak them in cold water for 10 minutes 

4.  Dry them in a large bowl

5.  Season with 2 table spoons of olive oil and whatever else you prefer (my go to is fresh garlic and Parmesan cheese but you can do anything)

6.  Set in air fryer (in batches) for 25 minutes at 400 degrees flipping a couple times throughout; make sure to season with salt (and black pepper) throughout the cooking as well

Oh and cooking time varies depending on how crispy you want it.  I cut mine a little thick so fried them longer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, [icon] said:

I still don't understand any benefit of the basket style air fryers over the flat tray style :unsure:

There isn’t any 

Unfortunately I didn’t know that when I bought mine a few years ago. Actually, I don’t think I ever saw one with racks when I bought mine 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, [icon] said:

I still don't understand any benefit of the basket style air fryers over the flat tray style :unsure:

There isn't. Mine is a combo air fryer/pressure cooker/crockpot, so it has the basket. I'd definitely prefer trays. I bought some tiered wire racks that fit inside off amazon, they work ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 9:40 AM, [icon] said:

I grabbed this Cuisinart TOA-60 on the low low from Target ($179.99, price matched amazon to $149.99 with a $75 gift card, so $75 net). 

Have made a few things in it so far: 
- Broiled asparagus: Fantasic
- Air Fried Bone in Chicken Thighs - Fantastic
- Air Fried Potato Wedges - Fantastic
- Air Fried 2" thick NY Strip Steaks w/ Dry Rub - Surprisingly good! Nice crust, good even Med-Rare. (14 mins air fry @ 450, 6 mins Convection bake @ 450). 
- Toasting Garlic Bread - Fantasic
- Reheating 2-day old dry fridge pizza by air-frying - Fantastic!

I love the versatility of the unit.. toaster, oven, air-fryer. I'd agree the results aren't quite deep fryer level but are better than my non-convection oven. I also love the added cooking space/function when prepping dinner.  I think the pull out tray is way better than the bucket style. Great capacity. Easy to clean. Versatile array of pans and baskets. Looks nice on the counter as well. 

For $75 I think it was a fantastic buy. 
 

Just ordered this from Macy’s. On sale for $170 puts it at ~180 with tax. Trying to eat healthier and cook more at home - hoping this helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eaganwildcats said:

Just ordered this from Macy’s. On sale for $170 puts it at ~180 with tax. Trying to eat healthier and cook more at home - hoping this helps. 

Used mine tonight to make home made fries. Just cut up some russet potatoes, patted dry, misted with canola spray and seasoning. Delicious and fairly healthy. 
 

You'll love it. 

Edited by [icon]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll second the pork chop recommendation.  Louisiana’s makes an air fryer pork chop/chicken seasoning, think shake and bake and it’s dynamite in the air fryer.

Wings and homemade fries too like others have mention.  Also Costco has frozen chicken breast bites that’s lightly breaded that are really good too.  Had ours about 6 months and love it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, [icon] said:

Used mine tonight to make home made fries. Just cut up some russet potatoes, patted dry, misted with canola spray and seasoning. Delicious and fairly healthy. 
 

You'll love it. 

The more I’m reading the more I’m wondering if this is superfluous. I have a dual door convection oven so I’m thinking maybe I just need something like this. Hmm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, eaganwildcats said:

The more I’m reading the more I’m wondering if this is superfluous. I have a dual door convection oven so I’m thinking maybe I just need something like this. Hmm. 

I am wondering the same thing.  Is an air fryer any different than a convection oven?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

I am wondering the same thing.  Is an air fryer any different than a convection oven?

Not really. I've been calling mine a mini convection oven since I got it. Same principle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Not really. I've been calling mine a mini convection oven since I got it. Same principle.

Heh neat. I bought this and will try some stuff before deciding the fate of the air fryer. Given the split oven the top one gets up to speed nice and quick and also doesn't heat up the whole house so I'm thinking I might be good sans a separate appliance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're dipping a toe in.  My BIL recommended a small cheap one to my wife that was on some daily deal site for like $25 so she grabbed it.  Smallish and no temp control, but a cheap way to check out the idea.

Used it once so far to reheat some leftover fish & chips and it did great for that.  Haven't actually COOKED anything in it yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

I would advise against this type of AF and opt for racks instead 

jmo

Yeah, i'd much prefer the toaster-oven style

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 10:16 AM, Dan Lambskin said:

Yeah I have the kind you have to lift the top lid, I think I’d much prefer the pullout, especially in my kitchen I have to have it at the very edge of the counter to be able to fully open the lid without hitting my top cupboards

 

I prefer the pull out method as well.

  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2020 at 10:33 AM, [icon] said:

I still don't understand any benefit of the basket style air fryers over the flat tray style :unsure:

I unfortunately pulled the trigger to quickly. Would definitely prefer the flat tray style. 

Still love the AF though, use it for just about anything. Not waiting for it to heat up is such a time saver. Just turn it on, punch in the settings and let it fry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard the Phillips unit they suggested (and other basket styles) are loud. Some say approaching vacuum cleaner-esque sounds....  Is that the case? 

The Cuisinart Tray unit I have is quite quiet. Ambient noise level in my kitchen is 56.5db (The Cuisinart is next to my Samsung Fridge). On full on "air fryer" mode it only goes up to 65.2db measured just in front of the unit. At ear level (6' tall) its 45db and bumps to 54db. 

 Its audible not not much. 

Other benefits to this unit (and I'm assuming other tray units: 
1) Glass window in front offers good view of food cooking (light inside)
2) Lots of flexibility... includes choice of baking sheet, wire rack, or basket. I generally leave baking sheet on bottom with foil on it to catch grease. 
3) Capacity is great. I can comfortably fit 6-8 whole wings or about 20 party wings (drums/flats) without stacking/overlapping.
4) No shaking the bucket
5) Makes a great toaster oven (Garlic bread, reheating pizza slices, etc) or second oven (convection making items when big items are in main oven). 
6) EASY CLEAN : Crumbs that get past the foil covered tray settle on a removeable sheet of metal on the floor. Pull it out, wipe down the door and inside (if you want). and you're done. Basket/rack hold up well in warm water hand-wash or a cycle in the dishwasher. 

The most used appliance in my kitchen for sure.  
 

Edited by [icon]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, [icon] said:

I've heard the Phillips unit they suggested (and other basket styles) are loud. Some say approaching vacuum cleaner-esque sounds....  Is that the case? 

The Cuisinart Tray unit I have is quite quiet. Ambient noise level in my kitchen is 56.5db (The Cuisinart is next to my Samsung Fridge). On full on "air fryer" mode it only goes up to 65.2db measured just in front of the unit. Its audible not not much. 

I have a Nuwave. It’s quiet 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, [icon] said:

I've heard the Phillips unit they suggested (and other basket styles) are loud. Some say approaching vacuum cleaner-esque sounds....  Is that the case? 

The Cuisinart Tray unit I have is quite quiet. Ambient noise level in my kitchen is 56.5db (The Cuisinart is next to my Samsung Fridge). On full on "air fryer" mode it only goes up to 65.2db measured just in front of the unit. At ear level (6' tall) its 45db and bumps to 54db. 

 Its audible not not much. 

Other benefits to this unit (and I'm assuming other tray units: 
1) Glass window in front offers good view of food cooking (light inside)
2) Lots of flexibility... includes choice of baking sheet, wire rack, or basket. I generally leave baking sheet on bottom with foil on it to catch grease. 
3) Capacity is great. I can comfortably fit 6-8 whole wings or about 20 party wings (drums/flats) without stacking/overlapping.
4) No shaking the bucket
5) Makes a great toaster oven (Garlic bread, reheating pizza slices, etc) or second oven (convection making items when big items are in main oven). 
6) EASY CLEAN : Crumbs that get past the foil covered tray settle on a removeable sheet of metal on the floor. Pull it out, wipe down the door and inside (if you want). and you're done. Basket/rack hold up well in warm water hand-wash or a cycle in the dishwasher. 

The most used appliance in my kitchen for sure.  
 

Regarding the toaster oven feature - can it just make toast?

We have limited counter space, but if it could replace the toaster (granted it's bigger) it wouldn't eat up as much additional space

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, heckmanm said:

Regarding the toaster oven feature - can it just make toast?

We have limited counter space, but if it could replace the toaster (granted it's bigger) it wouldn't eat up as much additional space

Yes it absolutely makes great toast. I've used for regular toast, garlic bread, grilled cheese, etc. :thumbup: 

The dial has light/dark settings like a toaster oven that replace the function of the standard timer when in toast mode. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

Are these just re-packaged toaster ovens?  Is there some magical convection-esque science that differentiates them?  

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appliances/airfryers/toa-60 even calls them a toaster oven?

Nope. They're multi-function devices with various settings and temp range from "Warm" to 450 degrees. 

Settings on the Cuisinart are:
Warm
Toast
Bake
Convection Bake
Broil
Convection Broil
Air Fry (I believe this is similar to convection bake, but higher temp and more air movement) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Nope. They're multi-function devices with various settings and temp range from "Warm" to 450 degrees. 

Settings on the Cuisinart are:
Warm
Toast
Bake
Convection Bake
Broil
Convection Broil
Air Fry (I believe this is similar to convection bake, but higher temp and more air movement

This is the crux of my question.  I have a toaster oven with bake/broil/toast options but if the Air Fry setting is significantly different that's important.  My current toaster oven is 14 years old and missing a leg and I just need an excuse about a millimeter wide to jump in here.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

This is the crux of my question.  I have a toaster oven with bake/broil/toast options but if the Air Fry setting is significantly different that's important.  My current toaster oven is 14 years old and missing a leg and I just need an excuse about a millimeter wide to jump in here.

Does your toaster oven have convection fan for moving air? If not, then it's a pretty big jump in functionality... even on bake/broil mode. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 4:29 PM, IC FBGCav said:

Steaks are incredible in these with good dry seasoning.  If you like it medium/medium well.  It cooks it perfect.  Not red inside and doesn't turn to leather, stays juicy.

I stopped reading right here. Steaks in an air fryer (let alone steaks cooked medium well)?

On 1/18/2019 at 12:31 PM, The Big Guy said:

Not at all. How would you prefer I make one for myself? Not feeling the need to clean the broiler for one little rib eye and certainly not firing up the bbq, standing outside in the rain or snow in my boxers, to make it that way. 

Is it blasphemy?

I'm not going to gatekeep how you cook steak. To each their own, and I've never tried an air-fried steak so there's that.

But in my world, this is indeed blasphemy.

Edited by Stompin' Tom Connors
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the instapot air fryer/pressure cooker dual combo.  It’s extremely versatile but agree that the basket style kinda blows.  It was completely my wife’s idea and she did all the research so I didn’t even know there was a tray style.  Regardless, we use it all the time.  
 

Am I not supposed to preheat?   I usually add on a minute or two to preheat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I have the instapot air fryer/pressure cooker dual combo.  It’s extremely versatile but agree that the basket style kinda blows.  It was completely my wife’s idea and she did all the research so I didn’t even know there was a tray style.  Regardless, we use it all the time.  
 

Am I not supposed to preheat?   I usually add on a minute or two to preheat.

I always preheat them it beeps when it’s at temp and I have 5 mins to add my food and begin cook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use my air fryer for one thing lately. Decarbing my herb for my edibles. I might have made some Reuben egg rolls a couple months ago in there, but I can't remember. 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2020 at 4:37 PM, [icon] said:

Does your toaster oven have convection fan for moving air? If not, then it's a pretty big jump in functionality... even on bake/broil mode. 

Well we're gonna find out.  Bought a cheapo basket for mine.  It does have a setting called "convection bake" but pretty much all bake/broil modes involve convection so the real question seems to be the air movement.  I wasn't sure if your model was super-hot or did something fancier than just moving the air.  If this doesn't work out I'll get the Cuisinart.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.