What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Engine blows on SW flight...breaks window (1 Viewer)

glvsav37

Footballguy
Engine blows up on a SW flight NY > Texas. Shrapnel hits window and breaks a hole in the fuselage 

Crazy situation

plane lands safely but 1 dead..possible sucked partially though the window. 

I'm seeing "Marty Martinez, who was aboard the flight, said a female flier — it’s unclear whether it was the same woman nearly sucked out — suffered a heart attack in the chaos."

I'm seeing "Marty Martinez, who was aboard the flight, said a female flier — it’s unclear whether it was the same woman nearly sucked out — suffered a heart attack in the chaos."
I think id damn near have a heart attack if i was partially sucked out a window at 35K feet. 

scary, thinking about my kids who always sit by the window. Might be tough for a grown adult to get out them but a small child...offa? Can't even think about it. I wonder how much a basic seatbelt would help in that situation?

God almighty that's pretty terrifying.  It looks like the broken window is about halfway down the plane past the t in Southwest.  I cannot imagine being on that plane during that, what a nightmare situation.  I'm surprised there weren't more injuries and fatalities to be honest.

I guess these things are really actually gtg on one engine, this is like the 3rd one this year that I can remember.  

I guess these things are really actually gtg on one engine, this is like the 3rd one this year that I can remember.  
Any modern jet aircraft is required to be able to land within it's operating criteria on one less engine.  Example, take an overseas flight.  Obviously no airports on water, so the aircraft is required to be able to maintain it's altitude and fly half the distance to the nearest airport on one less engine.

Previously, the faa always required more than two engines for such flights, but due to increased engine reliability that is no longer required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woman who died was a Wells Fargo VP. I find it odd that Southwest is the preferred carrier for southwest execs.

Very sad. 

I’m guessing we’ll eventually hear that maintenance on the plane was lacking or something to that effect. I saw a clip that said everyone was sending goodbye notes to their family as they were coming in. That would be truly awful. 

Very sad. 

I’m guessing we’ll eventually hear that maintenance on the plane was lacking or something to that effect. I saw a clip that said everyone was sending goodbye notes to their family as they were coming in. That would be truly awful. 
Why?  Metal fatigue is not a maintenance issue.  It's a manufacturing defect that is nearly impossible to predict or detect.  

Look back at the A380 that had the same thing.  Nobody is suggesting maintenance on that.  It's not like it's specific to boeing.

Simply horrific. You always know in the back of your mind that a crash is an incredibly small possibility. You never imagine something like this being possible. 

Simply horrific. You always know in the back of your mind that a crash is an incredibly small possibility. You never imagine something like this being possible. 
It's crazy unlucky.  engines fail every so often (super rare) I mean having debris from this contacting the softest spot on the plane is a super crazy event.  

Wonder what the cause of death will be. Injuries from the debris? Contact through the window? Exposure to the altitude? Heart attack/trauma?  

Thankful that this is a really rare event in the last couple of decades. 

Why?  Metal fatigue is not a maintenance issue.  It's a manufacturing defect that is nearly impossible to predict or detect.  

Look back at the A380 that had the same thing.  Nobody is suggesting maintenance on that.  It's not like it's specific to boeing.
Talking heads yesterday were saying that it wasn’t just metal fatigue. Not sure. 

Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump

Since taking office I have been very strict on Commercial Aviation. Good news - it was just reported that there were Zero deaths in 2017, the best and safest year on record!

7:13 AM - Jan 2, 2018

Damn! You’re an expert in crypto currency investing AND aircraft maintenance?!!  Impressive.

Wonder what the cause of death will be. Injuries from the debris? Contact through the window? Exposure to the altitude? Heart attack/trauma?  
If she was partially out of the window, the force of hitting something or something hitting her at 500 mph would have catastrophic.  It's a picture I don't want to see, that's for sure.  

Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump

Since taking office I have been very strict on Commercial Aviation. Good news - it was just reported that there were Zero deaths in 2017, the best and safest year on record!

7:13 AM - Jan 2, 2018
Not to muck this thread up but it really is unreal the crap he spouts

Passenger Killed On Southwest Flight Is the First U.S. Commercial Airline Fatality In 9 Years

Metal fatigue is detectable. I friend of mine worked at MSP a few years back as a technician who x-rayed (or some other tech) on commercial airliners. Specifically looking for metal fatigue and cracks not visible to the human eye.

They already found a bunch of stuff that flew off the plane.  I guess people just can ID something that looks like metal as a chunk of a 737.

So someone on reddit did some maths estimating the wind speed through the window as the decompression happened.

Airflow through open window = 22587.5 SCFM = 376.46 SCFS (https://www.tlv.com/global/TI/calculator/air-flow-rate-through-orifice.html)

Initial Air velocity through window = 23237 ft/min = 264 mph

Air volume lost during first millisecond = 0.376 cu ft

Pressure decay rate during first millisecond = 11 *(1-(7500/7500.376)) * 1000 = -0.55psi per second

Airplane “Capacity” = 376.46 SCF/SEC / 0.55 PSI/SEC = 683.6 SCF/PSI

Window “Resistance” = (11 - 3.98)PSI / (376.46 SCFS) = 0.01865 psi/SCFS

T (Time constant) = R * C = 683.6 * 0.01865 = 12.75 seconds

Classical Exponential Decay V = Vo * e ^ (-t/T). Where Vo = 264 mph and T = 12.75 seconds

Air velocity after 1 second = 264mph * e ^ (-1.0/12.75) = 244mph

Air velocity after 5 seconds = 178mph

Air velocity after 10 seconds = 120mph

Air velocity after 20 seconds = 55mph

Air velocity after 30 seconds = 25mph

Air velocity after 45 seconds = 7.7mph

Air velocity after 60 seconds = 2.4mph (essentially zero)

So someone on reddit did some maths estimating the wind speed through the window as the decompression happened.

Airflow through open window = 22587.5 SCFM = 376.46 SCFS (https://www.tlv.com/global/TI/calculator/air-flow-rate-through-orifice.html)

Pressure decay rate during first millisecond = 11 *(1-(7500/7500.376)) * 1000 = -0.55psi per second

Classical Exponential Decay V = Vo * e ^ (-t/T). Where Vo = 264 mph and T = 12.75 seconds

i had the same numbers, except i calculated the Classical Exponential Decay V differently of course.

:loco: :grad:

What a nightmare for those passengers.  Some people are going to have to fly again within hours or days too.  Good to get it over with, but that's rough after that kind of trauma.  I wouldn't blame any of them for renting a car or catching a train/bus to their next destination. Terrifying. 

Users who are viewing this thread