What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Want to buy my son a watch for his wedding. Suggestions? Updated - Purchased (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Smails Jr is getting hitched in 2 weeks.  I'd like to get him a nice watch.  Already helping out with wedding, rehearsal dinner, covering honeymoon etc so not looking to spend Chet money.  Still want a nice watch though.  He's 28.  Cool but not an overt hipster.  Usually dresses pretty casual.  I've seen him wear mostly sport watches with bigger faces.  I'm not a big watch guy.  Figured the FBG crowd would steer me in the right direction.  Ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fossil's are overpriced quartz fashion watches.  For the same or not much more money, you can get a nice mid-range automatic with a sapphire crystal and some character.

No offense, Shamrock.
I am no watch aficionado. But yes, fashion was what I was going for with it primarily more so than strict, faithful time keeping.

Smails Jr is getting hitched in 2 weeks.  I'd like to get him a nice watch.  Already helping out with wedding, rehearsal dinner, covering honeymoon etc so not looking to spend Chet money.  Still want a nice watch though.  He's 28.  Cool but not an overt hipster.  Usually dresses pretty casual.  I've seen him wear mostly sport watches with bigger faces.  I'm not a big watch guy.  Figured the FBG crowd would steer me in the right direction.  Ideas?
Just buy him a phone

If he mostly wears sport watches then I would say to go with more of a dress watch. This could make for a nice moment when he’s getting ready to hand him a nice watch to wear with his wedding suit. 

I’d say to go with a classic looking watch. Might be something that he only wears on special occasions and maybe hands down to his kids on their wedding day. 

I kind of like these Tissots Gold and Brushed Steel

Junghans and Georg Jensen have some nice looking watches but I don’t know #### about quality. They are European made so that sounds like high quality but that could just be BS.

Yes he might hate a watch that will last the rest of his life, given to him by his father, on his wedding day. 
Yup. This.

except, um... life.

Parents got me a SWEET ### blue faced Breitling for my college graduation. At first I was like, cool watch but seriously, it's still just a watch.

Six months later I just LOVED it. Perfect balance, went from casual to formal attire, understated yet awesome. Never took it off because the thing was basically indestructible, so why risk leaving it somewhere? The watch become attached to my wrist.

Until I wiped out BAD on the bumps (moguls, not the other white stuff) skiing, tumbled probably 60-80 feet down if not further.  When I gathered myself, it appeared that on this warm day where I took off my gloves the force of my tumble unlatched the watch and sent it hurling into the trees and down the crevice just off the trail.

So, if anything REALLY wants a sweet mid 90's vintage Breitling, just look somewhere beside K27 at Hunter Mountain. Pretty sure she's still up there. Scared. Alone. Worthless to me. 

(For 500-700 you can get a nice Hamilton FYI)

i'd check out the reviews on a site like worn & wound. they give good reviews, pricing, and plenty of options. 

I've been in the jewelry and watch business for over 25 years.  I think a watch is an awesome wedding gift and you can actually find some really great timepieces for that price point currently.  Jomashop has some really great deals on Glycine right now.  They fit the description of your son perfectly.  Most of them have a sporty but elegant style. Most are at least 40mm in diameter--which means they will have decently larger case sizes.  They are also Swiss made and most have automatic movements--which is really nice.  Here are some that stand out to me:

https://www.jomashop.com/glycine-watch-gl0091.html?nosto=productpage-nosto-1

https://www.jomashop.com/glycine-watch-gl0054.html

https://www.jomashop.com/glycine-watches.html

To really get him a nice watch, a wedding gift from a father watch, it's simply going to cost more than your $500-1k range. To me, that's a Rolex, a Jaeger-LeCoultre, an Omega. You can get a decent watch in that $500-$1000 range. Most of my watches are in that range. But a Hamilton or Tissot or Seiko just isn't going to be special. I'm not sure if you're willing to go preowned, but you might be able to find a middle ground in a preowned Omega or Tudor in the $2-3k range. The watch I own that is my favorite is this Tudor Black Bay Red that goes for about $2,500 preowned. For a new watch that makes a statement under $2k, perhaps a Nomos Tangente. If you just want to get him a decent sporty watch that's as good a watch as you would get for nearer to $1k but at a great value, get him an Orient Mako USA II. I got mine in blue for $262.50 using the code wornandwound. It also comes in black and a pepsi blue-red mix.

Ollech & Wajs make great vintage military watches, Swiss made. Automatic movement and sapphire crystal. I love mine. Pair it with a nylon band for an everyday watch. GIs used similar watches from O&W in Vietnam so it also has an interesting story attached

price is right also

These go in and out of stock, email them if interested. I am wearing mine as I type 

http://westcoastime.com/newowcukadaa.html

Users who are viewing this thread